End of the Line Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That," Cindy Ross thundered, "was insubordinate." We were watching the breaking news in the Chief's Conference Room.

"Technically, yes." I said. "I still outrank him. But he's the Sheriff's little boy now."

"I will still call the Sheriff and make a complaint." said the Chief. "Doing that on television like that is improperrrrr."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 12:59pm, Robert Brownlee and his attorney stood outside the Appellate Court. Normally the Appellate Court was in its own Courtroom in the Courthouse Complex, but due to the extreme Media interest in the case, this hearing had been moved to the Old Courtroom.

Brownlee was in his Police semi-formal uniform, with only a few ribbons; most of them were for various Police Academy courses, the basic Service ribbon and Division ribbon, a a scant couple of Achievement Awards, and just one Commendation Medal.

A slender man, balding and with glasses came up, followed by a man with a camera. "Commander Brownlee?" he asked nervously.

"Yes?" said Brownlee, thinking he was a reporter wanting to ask a question. Instead the man handed him a document.

"You've been served, Mr. Brownlee." said the man, who then rushed away along with his cameraman.

"What is that?" asked the attorney. Brownlee handed him the document. "Oh shit!" said the attorney. "We've got to------"

"Let's go, boys." said the Deputy. "The judge is waiting for you." They were all but pushed into Leahy's Courtroom.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Leahy frowned as he saw Robert Brownlee in Police uniform. Speaking to the Attorney, he said "Are you aware that your client is no longer a Police Officer and is now Assistant Public Health Officer? I have the papers stating that right here, sent by the Sheriff this morning."

"Your Honor," said the attorney, "we were served these papers informing us of that literally one minute before entering this Courtroom. My client was given no notice, no time to change clothes."

"That's no excuse." Leahy said, scowling. He was a large man, and on top of that (pun not intended) his head seemed too large for the rest of his body. His forehead was prominent, and glistened in the lights, even the rather inadequate lights of the Old Courtroom. "Your client is out of uniform in my Courtroom."

"Your Honor, if I may make a statement to that." said the Attorney. "As part of this suit, my client is insisting that he is still a TCPD Commander and should be fully reinstated as such. He believes his job was wrongly assigned to another Office, and an inferior position at that, and therefore he remains entitled to wear his Police uniform."

"Oh really." said Leahy witheringly.

"Furthermore, Your Honor," continued the lawyer, going for broke despite knowing he'd been effectively ambushed, "my client has stated in the documents that he will only accept a Police position commensurate with his rank as Police Commander, and he rejects any attempt to be reassigned to any post outside the Police Department."

"Is that in writing?" asked Leahy.

"Yes, Your Honor. Page 12 of our complaint."

Leahy read the pertinent information. "Very well. Mr. Brownlee only has these choices... take whatever position the Council offers, or resign, or put in retirement papers. This refusal could be construed as a resignation, since the Council is within its legal bounds to offer an equivalent position."

"I'm no fan of the Police," continued Leahy, "but I like it even less when someone impersonates an Officer in my Courtroom. I am summarily denying the appeal, and upholding Judge Watts's dismissal. Furthermore, I am sending the rest of it back to Judge Watts to determine if Robert Brownlee has resigned. I would suggest, Counselor, that you quickly re-file this so that your client can retire if he refuses the Public Health Office position." Leahy banged his gavel and ended the proceedings.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Sir, you need to go see the Chief." said Wes Masters, who had all but run into my office. "He's not saying anything out loud, but I can tell something is wrong."

"Okay." I said, noting Coldiron's worry as well as the form of his sentence. I went to the Chief's office, and was admitted. The Chief was looking out the window that faced the back of the property.

"Hi Chief.... er, is everything all right?" I asked.

"Just fine, Mr. Crowbar." Moynahan said. "Just fine. Whatever you needed, I'm sure it's okay, so run with it."

"What I need, Chief... is for you to tell me what's bothering you."

The Chief turned and peered at me, then said, "Nope, nothing does get past you, does it?"

"That's my job." I said. "And it's also my job to take care of my people, including the one in the chair above me. So spill it."

"Have a seat." said the Chief. As I did, he came over and sat in his chair behind his desk. "Okay, no crowbar beatdowns for this, okay?"

"I could give you the 'my own counsel will I keep on that'," I said, "but I won't. Whassup?"

"I called the Sheriff, about Peterson." said Moynahan. "I told him that Peterson's on-air comments about you were disrespectful, insubordinate, unprofessional, and required action on his, the Sheriff's part."

"Uh oh." I said. "And what did the Sheriff say?"

"He said he'd handle it." Moynahan said. "Then he made a point to say that Peterson was his employee, no longer ours, and that I was to stay out of the Sheriff Department's business. I replied that dissing you on television was my business, and he told me that he was my boss, not the other way around, and if I didn't like his handling of it, I could submit my immediate resignation."

"Shit." I muttered. "I hope you didn't do that."

"No, not yet." said Moynahan. "But this is no longer about ranks, it's about manhood, and honor."

"Let me see what I can do, Chief." I said. "If you'll excuse me...."

"Again, no crowbar beatdowns, Mr. Crowbar." admonished the Chief.

I just smiled. "There's more than one way to administer a Crowbar beatdown, Chief..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'm sorry, Commander," said the Sheriff's assistant, "but the Sheriff is very busy today and will be unable to speak with you at all. He suggests you call back tomorrow."

"Oh really?" I said, my voice full of venom. "That won't be necessary." I hung up, and looked at Cindy, who was watching me from the sofa.

"O-kayyyyy," I said, "let's have a little fun with the Press. I want you to watch this." With that, I got out my personal cellphone and called Bettina Wurtzburg.

"Hi, Bettina." I said. "Hope I didn't catch you at a bad time." Those were codewords with Bettina that this was no small thing. "Well, I'd like for you to do me a big favor. And of course, if you do it, you will have my gratitude... and I'm sure I will be able to return the favor at some time in the future... Oh yes... Oh, I'd like you to ask Sheriff Allgood one simple little question..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Sheriff, I have an appearance to make with the Kiwanis Club tonight." said Scott Peterson. "Mind if I head on out to get ready for it?"

"Just one thing before you go." said Allgood. "Those comments you made about the Iron Crowbar... not using his proper rank, disrespecting him on television... his Chief called me about that. I covered for you and told the Chief to pound sand, but you need to be careful about that... you were insubordinate. I'm not asking you to apologize, but just don't do it again."

"Uh, yes sir." said Peterson.

"Okay, give 'em one hell of a speech tonight." said Allgood. "We really need you to beat the hell out of Michaels for that Council seat."

"Yes, we do." said Peterson, who had his own agenda for wanting to win. "See you tomorrow, Sheriff." He left.

A moment later, Bettina Wurtzburg entered the room, having slipped by the assistant. "Hello, Sheriff Allgood."

"Hello Bettina... how'd you get in here?" asked Allgood.

"Oh, your assistant went to the restroom and I just took journalistic liberty." Bettina said with a smile. "I only wanted to ask you one question, Sheriff: do you have any comments in reply to Commander Troy scheduling a Press Conference tomorrow morning to announce his endorsement of Loran Michaels for the vacant Council seat?..."

Bettina would later tell me (in bed) that the look on Daniel's face was 'priceless'.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"All right, Commander Troy, what do you want?" asked Daniel Allgood acidly. He'd somehow just found the time out of his busy schedule to call me.

"Just two things, Sheriff." I said. "As we military types know, insubordination has to be addressed quickly. Your Press Relations Officer was insubordinate to me, among other things. Now you can jack him up for it, as you should... or I'll come over there and jack his ass up, and I can assure you that it will be an unforgettable lesson."

"I've already spoken to him about it." Daniel said. "And it's my place to do so, not yours."

"It'd better be formal and in writing." I said. "I'm not kidding, Sheriff, it's a matter of my authority being questioned in front of this entire County, as well as a despicable example where my subordinate Police Officers could see it."

"Commander, I'll do my job and you do yours, okay?" said the Sheriff.

"Okay, is that how you want to play it, Sheriff?" I asked coldly, then let my voice get even colder as I said: "And we haven't even gotten to the part where you disrespected my Chief of Police."

"Well, speaking of insubordination..." said Allgood. I was having none of it.

"He wasn't insubordinate, and he was doing the right thing taking up for me." I said.

The silence on the other end of the line was 'deafening'. And I let it linger.

"Again," Daniel finally said, "I'll do my job, and you do yours. I've already talked to Peterson, and I'll reinforce it to make sure he doesn't do that again. And you and the Chief need to do your jobs, Commander."

The line went dead. The look on my face may have been conveying the same (lack of) feeling.

Cindy was looking at me, her ice blue eyes wide with shock. "What are you going to do?" she asked. I could tell she was worried about what my reaction might be.

"Homey don't play this shit." I muttered as I dialed another number...

Part 3 - Back and Forth

7:00am, Tuesday, October 18th. Two items are a must to start one's day in our Town & County. One of those is coffee. The other, of course, is Bettina!

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" she shouted from in front of the Courthouse. "Channel Two News has learned that Judge Leahy of the Appellate Court has summarily denied Robert Brownlee's appeal! This all but guarantees that Robert Brownlee will never return to the Town & County Police Force in any capacity!"

I heard a huge cheer erupt from all over Police Headquarters, as the Personnel & Records Officers had been watching in their offices. The MCD room was likewise full of happy Detectives, happy Lieutenants, and happy Captains.

Bettina went on: "Legal experts had expected Leahy to reverse Judge Rodney K. Watts's ruling and return the case to the lower Court; however, Leahy upheld the dismissal with stinging rebukes for Brownlee and his attorney."

Bettina continued: "What is not determined is Brownlee's status with the Public Health Department. Sheriff Daniel Allgood has assigned Brownlee to the Public Health Department, but Public Health Officer Loran T. Michaels has opposed that and has sued over it. He filed for an emergency stay to enjoin the order to put Brownlee in the Public Health Office.

More Bettina: "Michaels is running for the Town & County Council seat vacated by the death of Pastor Raymond Westboro. Additionally, Brownlee says he will accept no position other than with the Police Department, and he plans to appeal to the State Supreme Court. His chances there are considered slim."

Bettina went on: "And one opening that Mr. Brownlee might have sought is now closed, as Fire Chief Quinlin made an announcement yesterday. Roll tape."

The tape rolled, showing Fire Chief Quinlin and Superintendent Davies in front of Fire Department Headquarters, with the Chief saying "... and Superintendent Davies's knowledge of our Fire Department, its workings, and its Firefighters will serve him well in this position, and will serve me well to be advised by him. Therefore, I've nominated Superintendent Davies for the position of Assistant Fire Chief!..."

"And finally," said Bettina, "a Press Conference has been called at 9:00am at City Hall by Loran Michaels, who said he has picked up two huge endorsements. Channel Two News will bring live coverage of that event..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*WHEET-WHEW!*

The catcall whistle was from Cindy as I entered MCD. I was wearing a well-fitting light gray suit, white button-down shirt, and a light cyan-blue tie. "Looking good today, Commander." she said. "What's the occasion?"

"Damn, Commander, you out-GQ'd me today!" said Theo Washington, who always dressed well. "Whassup wit' dat?"

"Press conference." I said. "Oh, I'll have company." I pointed to the door, where Chief Moynahan was coming in, also dressed in a suit and tie.

"Captain Ross," said the Chief, "you and Commander Harlow mind the store. The Police Commander and I have some important business to do."

"Alpha-dogs, Joanne." said Cindy, knowing what our important business was.

"Yes, ma'am." said Joanne Warner. "But good-looking and well-dressed alpha dogs... or alpha-wildcats."

"Perceptive Detective, she is." I said. Cindy did not look amused.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I cannot wear a Police uniform at political events, except for things like security. I cannot wear a Police uniform when participating in political events, giving speeches as a candidate, endorsing candidates, working at a Campaign Office, and so on. But, within bounds of reason, I can wear my Medal of Valor with civilian clothes, and at such events.

And I did, for this one.

Red crowbar in hand, I stepped up to the podium, in the front atrium of City Hall with two other men: Police Chief Moynahan and Public Health Officer Loran T. Michaels. "Thank you for coming." I said to the gaggle of Press and their cameras, all eyes and lights on me. "I am here to endorse Public Health Officer Loran T. Michaels for the vacated Council seat for which he is a candidate. I believe that Public Health Officer Michaels is the the best choice among those running for this seat, and he will do the best job working with the rest of the Town & County Council in the coming years."

I gave way to Chief Moynahan, who said "I also endorse Public Health Officer Loran Michaels. His record of service as Public Health Officer is an outstanding one, and I believe he will serve on the Council with the same level of dedication to you, the Citizens of this Town & County."

"I want to thank Chief Moynahan and Commander Troy for their support." said Michaels. "Their own Police records are stellar, and to have them supporting me for the Council seat is a great honor, for which I am grateful to them..."

After the speeches and platitudes, the Press opened up on us:

"Commander Troy," yelled Priya Ajmani, "do you have any other endorsements to make?"

"No, Priya." I said. "Just this one right now."

"Commander, why are you endorsing Mr. Michaels, but not making any other endorsements?" asked Bettina Wurtzburg.

"I believe that this Council seat election is very important, Bettina." I said. "The other races are important, as well, but none more so than this one, and I hope the voters will choose the right person for the seat."

"And the right person for the seat is Loran Michaels." said Chief Moynahan. Yeah, he could play the Game, and play it well, I noted.

"Commander," said John Hardwood, "will you be giving Mr. Michaels any helicopter rides in the near future?" Silence was instantaneous, and awkward.

"I certainly hope I won't need to." I said. "But if you need a helicopter ride with me, Mr. Hardwood, I'll be ready to provide one. Vote for Mr. Michaels, everyone!" I said to the cameras, then we all walked away from the podium...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Scott Peterson and Daniel Allgood were watching in the Sheriff's office. It was not a cheerful room at the moment.

"Damn, Troy went and endorsed Michaels because of what I said about him yesterday?" Peterson asked, his voice a snarl.

"That's half of it." Daniel Allgood said. "I guess that beats him coming over here and whipping both of us with his crowbar." Daniel looked and felt as if he'd been run over by a freight train.

"How do we counter this?" asked Peterson.

"I don't know yet." said Allgood. "I'm going to have to think about it."

"You could endorse me publicly, as a counter to them." said Peterson.

"Oh, I've already called a press conference to do that." said the Sheriff. "The problem here, Scott, goes beyond you and your campaign. The last thing I need is an internecine war with my Police Department. I'm having enough trouble as it is with Quinlin and the Fire Department. So after the press conference endorsing you, Scott, you are going to take a leave of absence to 'concentrate fully on the campaign'."

"Sheriff," said Peterson, "being your Press Relations person give me more exposure."

"The problem, Scott," said Daniel, "is that in that capacity you're only speaking as my mouthpiece, and you need to be speaking as your own mouthpiece, and as a candidate. So get ready to do that, and I'll try to find a way to mend fences with my Police Command Group."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I took a phone call from Laura.

"Hi Darling." she said. "The back doctor from Japan is going to be speaking at the University tonight, and has agreed to see you in my clinic area before his speech. So if you'll get your hot little ass over here..."

"On my way." I said.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After receiving a thorough probing and prodding from the doctor, mostly around the damaged area of my back, he said in good English "Ah, Donald-san, a vertebrae in your back is still slightly dislodged. Not enough to cause real damage, but enough to inflame the area and cause you pain. If you will lie down on this mat on the floor, I will apply a realignment process."

I lay down on my belly on what looked like a reject of a wrestling mat that was on the floor, wearing only my underwear. The doctor straddled my back, and putting the bottoms of his hands together in the middle, the fingers pointing to each side, he began pressing inward and downward. For the most part, my back 'popped' as knuckles pop, but I could feel the way he was keeping my spine straight and aligned.

Just above the damaged area, when he pressed down I felt something shift, and a short, jabbing pain. Then he said "Take in a breath, and when I press down, let it out." I did so... but the 'letting it out' was in the form of a scream.

"AAAUUGGHH!" I cried out as he pushed hard against the vertebrae. I did feel it move back into place, but it did so only after letting me know how much it hurt. Then the doctor pressed on my spine down to my coccyx. I was still gasping from the pain... but I could tell it was going to be much, much better when it stopped hurting.

"Just lie still until the initial pain diminishes." said the doctor. "I must go, but it has been an honor serving the Iron Crowbar today."

"Arigato, Doctor-san." I replied. Laura showed the doctor out. Fifteen minutes later, I was able to move up to my knees, then Laura helped me to stand. She helped me to take some steps, then I rotated my arms and body around my core. It still felt very sore, but I could tell I was better.

"I'm going to give you a shot for the pain and the inflammation." Laura said. She did so, injecting the drug right onto the area of the pain. I felt instantly better.