End of the Line Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You are the best doctor." I said. "I always feel better after your treatments... especially the ones in bed at home."

"And I look forward to giving you a few more of those treatments this weekend." said Laura. "You're going to be flat worn out after Wanda and I are through with you."

Part 4 - The Only Way It Could Be

Wednesday, October 19th. At 6:00am, I went into MCD and, being the first one to arrive, I made coffee. As it percolated, Detective Joanne Warner came in.

"Good morning, sir!" she said brightly. "How's your back? Did you see the doctor?"

"Good morning, Detective Warner." I replied. "Yes, I did see the doctor. My back is still sore from his treatment, but I'm not feeling the grinding nor the shooting pain, so I think it's going to be much, much better."

Indeed, Laura had medicated me to let me fall asleep, and then entered a prescription note on my Police record in case I was ambushed with a surprise drug test. So I felt okay, but was really looking forward to that coffee..

As Detectives trickled in, I sat at the corner desk near the back... the desk I'd originally used when I first came to the TCPD. I noted the conversations between the Detectives, and those between Vice and MCD, and I was extremely pleased at the camaraderie... unlike days past, we were a cohesive unit where everyone had everyone's back... something sorely (pun intended) needed in the SBI.

And then came 7:00am, and that meant the one and only Bettina!

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely redheaded reporterette from in front of City Hall, where the Public Health Offices were. "Channel Two News has learned that Public Health Officer Loran T. Michael's suit to gain an emergency stay preventing Robert Brownlee from being forced into the Public Health Department was upheld by Superior Court Judge Harry 'Spud' Nance!"

"Nance stated that the stay was to give time to examine all the issues of the case in a timely manner." Bettina continued. "PHO Michaels's suit does not challenge the law that Commander Brownlee can be given an equivalent position after his extended illness, but challenges whether Brownlee can be forced into the Public Health Office when other positions are available for Mr. Brownlee to fill."

"In other news," said Bettina, "Sheriff Deputy Scott Peterson took a leave of absence from the Sheriff Department for the rest of the month to concentrate on his campaign for the Council seat vacated by the death of Pastor Raymond Westboro. This was announced after Sheriff Daniel Allgood endorsed Peterson in the strongest possible terms. Roll tape." The tape showed Sheriff Daniel Allgood endorsing Peterson in the strongest possible terms.

Bettina continued: "This comes after Police Chief Sean Moynahan and Police Commander Donald Troy strongly endorsed Peterson' opponent, Public Health Officer Loran Michaels, for the same position. When asked if there was significance in these contrasting endorsements, Sheriff Allgood said that people having differences of opinion are what make for political races in the first place. But sources tell Channel Two News that there is a rift between the Sheriff and his Police Department's leaders over this issue, and that the relationship between these law enforcement officers has chilled in recent days."

"Finally," said Bettina, "at 2:00pm this afternoon, there will be a ceremony at the Veasley Community Center, where the Ladies Auxiliary will honor Police Deputy Chief Della Harlow as Town & County Woman of the Year! Channel Two News will have live coverage, and we congratulate Deputy Chief Harlow for this accomplishment!..."

As Bettina went to Sports, I said "No disrespect to Commander Harlow, but I don't care what the Ladies Auxiliary says. My Woman of the Year is my green-crowbar-carrying partner, Captain Ross." There was loud acclaim for that.

"Sir," said Joanne Warner, "isn't your wife part of the Ladies Auxiliary that decided who would get that award?"

"Detective, you are attempting to create 'trouble'." I said jovially. "And you are succeeding."

"Uh oh, the I.C. is gonna be sleepin' on the sofa." said Theo Washington, shaking his head in mock sadness for me.

"At least your back is better, Commander." Joanne said helpfully.

"Yes." I said. "At least my back is better."

"Still wearing the girdle, sir?" asked Cindy, her ice blue eyes sparkling with merriment.

"Yes. Yes I am," I said, "until I can do some exercising to strengthen my back. And I may keep on wearing it: I like the bulletproof aspects of it."

"And with the SBI around," said Teresa Croyle, "that's always a wise precaution." There was a lot of agreement with that.

"Okay, everyone." I said. "Many of us in here are expected to attend the Ladies Auxiliary gathering. And some of you are on Security Detail for it, is that not right, Lt. Croyle?"

"That is correct, sir." said Teresa, who was already taking a leading role in such matters.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Riverside Drive was closed off behind City Hall and in front of the Veasley Community Center; people had to drive around Courthouse Square as a detour. The gathering was fairly large, and it was nice weather and not too cold.

Cindy and I were at the intersection of Elm Street, which was the road that formed the north border of the rectangle of Courthouse Square, and Riverside Drive, mostly staying out of the way and watching the people gathering. Mrs. Myrtle L. James and the Ladies Auxiliary were inside the Community Center, and would come out just before the proceedings.

I saw Della Harlow on the street right in front of the podium, talking with Bettina Wurtzburg and Fire Marshal Zoe Singer. Loran T. Michaels was coming up to them, shaking hands and congratulating Della. Near them were Chief Moynahan, who was talking with Chief Emeritus Griswold and with Joe Smedley. Further south was Fire Lieutenant Roy Easley, who was now part of Zoe's Arson team and the Fire Department's version of Internal Affairs.

"Commander," said Cindy, "any truth to the rumor Roy Easley is going to help Inspector Maxwell investigate the SBI?"

"You did not hear that from me." I said. "But between you, me, and the crowbars... yes, that might be a part of the Governor's plan to weed out the rot. But it's not a done deal, so we'll have to see... and Jared has to win the election first."

"Think he will?" asked Cindy.

"I dunno." I said introspectively. "I don't know."

Just then, Priya Ajmani came up to us, smiling brightly. "Commander, can I get a comment on Commander Harlow's award today?" She put the microphone up to my face.

"Deputy Chief Harlow is an accomplished Police Officer that has done an outstanding job, and she's very deserving of this recognition." I said. "I'm proud to be working with her every day to make our Police Force the finest in the State."

Priya said "There is some talk that your partner here, Captain Ross, should have been Woman of the Year. Any comment on that, Commander?"

"Absolutely." I said. "While I would never dream of contradicting the ladies of the Ladies Auxiliary Club, I am blessed to have Captain Ross as my partner in crime-fighting, and there's nobody I'd rather have working with me to crush the criminals of this County than her."

"Captain Ross," said Priya, "how do you feel about Commander Harlow's award------"

"Wait..." I said, to Cindy. "Do you hear something?" I was hearing a hum...

"Uh no... oh, wait." Cindy said. "Yeah, it's getting louder."

"It's a motorcycle!" I said. Something more than instinct said this was trouble as I grabbed my Police radio.

"Break! Break! Break! Motorcycle!" I said into it, walking away from Priya's cameraman, who then was more strongly impeded by Cindy. "Where's that motorcycle I'm hearing?"

Chatter started up on the radio. "No motorcycle at Checkpoint Alpha.... nothing at Checkpoint Charlie... no sighting, Commander, from what direction are you hearing it?"

I began walking towards the Community Center... and Time seemed to slow down.

"From the south!" I yelled as I saw the motorcycle flying up Riverside Drive. "Stop it!

But it was too late. I could see that the rider was a male, dark brown pants, light brown leather jacket, black helmet. He rushed towards the crowd in front of the Community Center at breakneck speed, then suddenly slowed down and almost stopped right in front.

"Gun!" I yelled, seeing the man pull a semi-auto pistol from his jacket pocket and aim at the group right in front. I was running, Cindy behind me, but we were too far away as the man began firing.

Joe Smedley had moved in front of the women as the motorcycle had approached. Now he was trying to cover Della as Zoe Singer tackled Loran Michaels. In all-too-slow motion, I saw the fabric on the back of Smedley's shirt seem to separate, followed by the formation of little black holes. Smedley was being shot! I realized. He was taking the bullets!

The motorcyclist sped up, roaring north along Riverside Drive, past me and Cindy and Priya. Cindy pulled her gun to shoot at him but I pushed her arms down.

"No!" I gasped. "Too many people!" Cindy nodded, and then we turned to see the horrific sight.

For the only time in my life, I saw Chief Griswold frozen in place with shock. Lieutenant Croyle had rushed past him with Roy Easley to attend to Joe Smedley. Smedley was on his back now. He looked up at Teresa.

"Remember our talk, Ms. Croyle." he said quietly. "Mr. Easley," said Smedley, "keep my Fire Department right."

"Hang on, Mr. Smedley. Medics are coming." said Easley just as Chief Griswold got to them, agony on his face. He knelt beside Smedley and put his hand under Smedley's head to support it and keep it off the asphalt. Smedley clutched at Griswold's other hand.

"Yes, hang on, Smedley!" ordered Griswold, tears forming in his eyes as he looked down upon the dying man he'd served with on Police duty for many years.

"It's... it's okay, Grizz." said Smedley. "Avenge me, my friend, avenge me..."

"No, you hang on!" Griswold said, willing Destiny to yield to him, and losing.

"This is... this is how it should be, Grizz..." gasped Smedley as a crowd formed around. "For me, anyway... don't you see? This is the only way for me to go."

With a faint smile, he looked at his comrade-in-police-arms and said "End of the line, Grizz... end of the line." And with that, Joe Smedley's grip on Griswold's hand relaxed as Smedley took his rightful place amongst the heroes somewhere in the sky watching over all of us, a place without suffering nor the need of heroes...

To be continued.