English Rose Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
764 Followers

Sabrina stared down at her hands hidden in the fold of her dress and gripped them tightly. "I don't know if I can," she answered honestly.

Jonathan nodded. "I understand and I don't want to push." He indicated a stack of documents sitting on the edge of desk. "After you disappeared, your mother and I hired a bow street runner. For obvious reasons we didn't want to go to the authorities or make an official report." At Sabrina's nod he continued. "The runner spoke with our driver and even went back out to where the carriage was attacked. He was able to pick up your trail but eventually suggested we hire an experienced tracker. Unfortunately, it rained before the tracker was able to make a certain determination as to which way you were headed." Jonathan gave an apologetic shrug. "After that all we could do is wait."

If only to himself, Jonathan had to admit that he'd been frantic to find her, those few days of her absense pure hell. The ransom note they were waiting for never arrived and the runner warned that they might never see their daughter again. Never before had his name, money and power meant less.

He had just begun questioning the wisdom of not going to the authorities when shouts in the entryway had drawn him from his study. A young houseboy preparing to sweep the front steps had opened the door and found Sabrina, unconscious and wrapped in an expensive blanket. Jonathan's relief at finding Sabrina had been short lived. Quietly, her maid had informed him of the marks and there was no mistaking their meaning.

Addressing his daughter, he said, "I understand that you'd rather not talk about what happened." She had her face turned from him and he could see her swallow. "But if there is anything that you can tell me that might help us to figure out who is responsible..."

"You're still looking?" Sabrina asked in surprised.

"Of course!" Jonathan said. "You don't think I'd let whoever is responsible for hurting my child go unpunished?"

Sabrina picked at her dress. Ironically, she realized that she didn't want him found. She tried to tell herself that it was self preservation - surely, if he were found he would share everything that had happened in an attempt to save himself. And while that was partially true she had to admit that some small part of her wanted to protect him from her father's anger and the consequences that his position would allow. "Father, do you think that's wise?" For the first time in her life Sabrina actively used her position and knowledge of the ton to her advantage. "You and mother have done so much to protect me, to make sure that no one found out that I was missing. If you find this man it would mean an arrest and a public trial. Everything that has happened would be revealed and I would be ruined." Desperation and truth added weight to her words.

Jonathan considered his daughter. "You don't want the man that hurt you brought to justice?"

Sabrina shook her head but still couldn't meet her father's eyes. "I want my life back, what there is left of it."

Jonathan pulled on his right ear, a habit he had when thinking. "I can't just let the matter drop, you understand, but I promise to keep any future inquires discreet. If I find out who did this I promise to take care of the matter personally."

Sabrina realized that this was as good as she was going to get. She could only hope that he had taken care to cover his tracks and was never found. She didn't know what she would do if she ever came face to face with him.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
764 Followers