English Rose Ch. 02

Story Info
Sabrina returns to London.
12.4k words
4.82
51.1k
43

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 10/18/2022
Created 06/29/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gojenngo
Gojenngo
761 Followers

The first chapter of this series appeared under Nonconsent/Reluctance; however, the rest of the series will most likely appear under Romance. Thank you to everyone that commented on the first chapter, as always, it is appreciated.

*

London, 1800s...

A year and a half after her abduction found Sabrina preparing for the end of her second Season in London. There were still a few weeks left but after the final round of balls, soirees and luncheons she would be retiring to the family's country home - permanently.

As expected, her father had given her the choice between residing in the country or becoming a companion to her older sister. As much as Sabrina loved her sister, she couldn't bear the thought of watching her live the life Sabrina had been destined for. The country, while quiet, would accord her a certain amount of freedom, free from the painful memories of the past and all that she had lost.

Sabrina never finished her first Season in London. Her family, letting it be known that she was ill, had whisked her away to the country. Those first few months had been a dark time for her; no one in her family understood what she had suffered and all were at a loss as to what to say. Everyone had treated her gently, acting as if she might break at any moment. Their quiet presence, while designed to be reassuring, had served as a constant reminder until Sabrina thought she might snap.

Eventually, Sabrina started spending most of her time alone walking in the garden, riding out across the countryside or reading quietly in her room. It had been a relief to everyone when she emerged from seclusion and requested a final Season in London.

As the daughter of a Duke, she was considered an essential name on every guest list. Women constantly sought to curry her favor while men tried their hand at courtship. Sabrina had struggled to re-enter society and there had been a number of times over the past several months when Sabrina had regretted her decision. The ton, with their incessant gossiping and endless entertainment, often overwhelmed her.

The one bright spot had been her friendship with Lady Eleanor Mills. Ellie would never have questioned Sabrina's sudden disappearance from London if not for the silence that followed. Close friends, it was unlike Sabrina to sequester herself in the country, avoiding the summer house parties and weekend retreats. Worried, Ellie had arrived unannounced and cornered Sabrina.

Sabrina, relieved to have someone to talk to, had poured out the entire story. That's when the real healing began. After that, the girls were inseparable, finishing out the summer in the country before preparing for the Season together. While most of the ton remained in the country until the Season officially started, Sabrina and Ellie spent their days shopping and taking tea together. If this was to be Sabrina's last Season, she wanted to experience it to the fullest.

While some nights proved challenging with all the gossip over her sudden disappearance and her obvious lack of interest in marriage, tonight promised to be easy. Tonight was a dinner party given by Ellie's mother, Beatrice Mills, the Countess of Ingles.

Sabrina and her family arrived just after nine; the ball already in full swing and the inevitable crush confirmed. Pausing at the entrance to the ballroom, Sabrina tried to catch a glimpse of her friend. If she knew Ellie, she would likely be at the center of a large group of admirers. This was also Ellie's second Season and it was common knowledge that her father expected to see her married. Catching sight of her friend's distinctively blonde hair, Sabrina started across the room.

It took Sabrina the better part of half an hour to reach her friend's side. Not only was the ballroom crowded, but Sabrina was also forced to stop and talk with several members of the ton. Ellie, seeing Sabrina approach, quickly stepped forward and gently pulled her into the center of her circle of admirers. "You made it!"

"Of course! You know we'd never miss your mother's annual ball," Sabrina said. Pasting a smile on her face, she nodded her head in greeting to the several young men that surrounded her friend. Already, she could see that Ellie's dance card was full, some of the names on her card belonging to the gentlemen loitering nearby. Sabrina didn't have to count to know that there were more men then were places on Ellie's card. Those unlucky enough to find themselves without a dance would have to be content making conversation and offering to fetch a glass of punch in hopes of catching Ellie's eye.

Sabrina was content to entertain those left behind as Ellie's hand was claimed for the next dance. Ellie had gained a certain following, the same young men returning to her court night after night. Most of them were used to seeing Sabrina by her side and sincerely enjoyed talking with her while Ellie danced.

There was always one or two new members that ventured to ask Sabrina to dance, tonight was no exception. Although she refused, Sabrina was careful to offer a compliment or a smile to help ease any awkwardness or disappointment.

Douglas Radcliff watched as Sabrina turned down yet another offer to dance. He noted that she hadn't bothered with a dance card and spent most of the time entertaining her friend's suitors. It had been the same at every event that she attended.

His presence at Lady Mills' annual ball was no accident. In fact, he'd gone to great lengths to ensure an invitation, including entering into a business arrangement with the lady's husband. He had spent the better part of the Season watching Sabrina. Not always able to predict which event she would attend, he'd known without a doubt that she would be at a ball given by her best friend's mother.

Two years ago, he had set out to avenge his mother. At the time, still just a bastard son, no one knew or cared who he was. While the Duke of St. Ives was beyond him, the man's daughter was not. It hadn't been hard to discover her identity; after that he'd had her followed until he had a good idea of her routine and then waited. Eventually, the opportunity to take her had presented itself and he'd ordered it done.

What followed had been two of the most unforgettable nights of his life. His disappointment at the sour taste of revenge had been eclipsed by his surprise at the night of passion spent with Sabrina. Expecting never to see her again, Douglas had returned her to her father and waited for news of her marriage. Surely, as the daughter of a duke, she would still be able to marry despite her misfortune. It was only after the death of his half brother and his begrudging acceptance into polite society that he learned Sabrina had rejected any attempts at making a match.

Douglas' own father was anxious to see him safely married. Nevertheless, Douglas was content to wait for the right time. After a year of watching Sabrina, he realized that he wasn't waiting for the right time; he was waiting for Sabrina. But how was he to get Sabrina, who had obviously deserted the idea of marriage, to marry him? Never one to leave things to chance, Douglas plotted and planned, arranging the players as if they were pieces on a chess board until he was satisfied that everything was as it should be. Tonight he would see the first of his plans come to fruition.

Sabrina was surprised at the light touch on her elbow; turning, she smiled in greeting. "Good evening, my lord. I didn't expect to see you here." Lord Jeffery was an old acquaintance of her father's and had been a guest at their table many times.

"Good evening, my lady. I was wondering if I might impose on you a moment?" Lord Jeffery was older then Sabrina's father by several years and it was unusual for him to venture into the ballroom. Typically, he spent his evenings in the card room with the other married gentlemen.

"Of course," Sabrina agreed. Whatever his request, Sabrina knew she couldn't refuse. Not only a dear friend of her father's, he was also a business associate.

"I'd like you to meet a friend and business associate of mine. Lady Sabrina Montague, may I present to you Lord Radcliff, the next Duke of Spiegel."

Sabrina felt her eyes widen slightly as Lord Radcliff bent over her hand. Not only was he notorious, a favorite topic of gossip among the ton, but he was by far the largest man she had ever seen. Remembering her manners, Sabrina dipped a quick curtsy. As the daughter of a duke, she was his equal in rank and needn't curtsy at all. Still, her upbringing demanded that she afford him a measure of respect. "Good evening, my lord."

Douglas felt his blood heat at the sound of her voice, remembering how the slightly husky tones of whiskey could turn dark with desire. Pressing the barest of kiss to the back of her gloved hand, Douglas lifted his head to find her staring at him. It had been almost two years since he'd allowed himself to get this close to her; he couldn't help but wonder if she might recognize him.

Sabrina slipped her fingers from Lord Radcliff's hand, giving a gentle tug when he didn't immediately release her. "It's always a pleasure to meet a friend of Lord Jeffery's. Did you two originally meet over business or did business come later?"

Douglas let Sabrina lead them in a conversation of easy chitchat. She was really quite accomplished at asking and answering questions, steering them clear of any topics considered inappropriate for an unmarried lady.

It was only at the first stings of the waltz that he stepped in. "Dance with me," he asked and held out his hand.

To Sabrina, it sounded more like an order then a request and she was inclined to refuse. Looking from Lord Radcliff's outstretched hand to Lord Jeffery, she had the distinct impression that the entire exchange had been designed with this moment in mind. Lord Jeffery obviously expected Sabrina to accept and she couldn't very well disappoint. "Of course," she said and slipped her hand into Lord Radcliff's.

Douglas allowed himself a small smile in triumph as he led her out onto the floor and pulled her into his arms. Still, he had to fight a tiny shiver of awareness as their bodies brushed with the start of the dance.

For her part, Sabrina was trying desperately to ignore the whispers and stares that had followed them into the waltz. Lifting her chin, she kept her eyes focused on the center of his cravat and fought to keep from blushing.

Douglas found himself staring down at the top of Sabrina's head as he led her through the steps of the waltz. It didn't take long for him to realize that she planned to suffer through their dance quietly before quickly returning to the safety of Lady Mills' suitors. "I apologize if you find dancing with me unpleasant," he said.

Sabrina's eyes flew to his face, "I don't!" She exclaimed, surprised at both her outburst and the truth of her words. Despite his size, Lord Radcliff held her lightly and moved them effortlessly around the room. It was a fast waltz, one of her favorites, and she found that she was enjoying herself. "Actually, my lord, it is I that should apologize. I fear that we are the focus of much scrutiny and that I am to blame."

Douglas gave a small snort. "I assure you, I am as much to blame as you are. It isn't every day the ton bears witness to the daughter of one duke dancing with the bastard of another."

Sabrina has been watching his face and caught the note of sardonic humor as it passed over his features. "It bothers you," she stated.

"No," Douglas bit off and the silently cursed himself for his terse tone.

Despite his denial, Sabrina had felt him stiffen in response to her comment. For the first time in her life, Sabrina had been the object of the ton's gossip and speculation and thought she could sympathize. Of course, the ton's speculation would be nothing compared to their acrimony if they found out the true nature of her situation. What would it be like, she wondered, to have the world know the details of her own personal humiliation? Shivering at the thought, Sabrina concentrated on following Douglas through the corner's turn and was surprised when he took the opportunity to slip into the crowd.

Douglas glanced down and caught Sabrina looking up at him questioningly. "I thought we could both use a break from so much unwanted attention."

Sabrina gave a slight nod, forgoing to mention that their quick departure from the dance floor was sure to invoke more gossip then their waltz.

Douglas led her through the crowd and out onto the veranda, accepting two glasses of champagne from a passing footman along the way. Outside, Sabrina smiled her thanks when she took the glass but he could see that her lips were tight at the edges and she was quick to step away from him. Easing his hip onto the balustrade, he tried to look less threatening and draw her into easy conversation. "How much longer are you in London?"

Sabrina took a sip of champagne and a moment to collect herself. She'd been careful to avoid situations where she might find herself alone with a man. While most young women worried about finding themselves in a compromising position and unwanted marriage, Sabrina knew that there were worse things that could happen. "Three weeks," she said. "You?"

"About the same," he said. "I have a small estate not far from London where I'll summer." He took another sip of champagne watching as she downed the rest of her own. "The ducal country home is near Hampshire, is it not?" Douglas knew damn well where the Duke of St. Ives spent the summer. He also knew that the family had a villa in Italy as well as houses in France, Ireland and Scotland.

Sabrina nodded; realizing that she'd finished her champagne she set the glass down and eyed Lord Radcliff nervously. The night was dark, the lanterns along the veranda doing little to light the surrounding area. While they weren't completely alone, the few couples that came outside quickly disappeared into the surrounding rose garden.

Douglas watched Sabrina eyeing the doorway behind him. He could see that she was nervous and cursed himself for having brought her out here. His only thought had been to get her alone for a few moments, just enough time to allow her to get a sense of him. Recognizing his error, he offered her his arm; "I believe it is time I return you to your friends. The ton has probably forgotten us by now."

Sabrina hesitated before cautiously slipping her arm into his; "I doubt that but they may have moved on to someone else."

"We can only hope," he said, and led her back inside.

Back with Ellie, Sabrina smiled as Lord Radcliff bent over her hand. He didn't need to know that it was a smile of relief at finding herself back inside, safe among the crowd.

"Thank you for the lovely waltz, perhaps next time we'll be able to finish it." Douglas said. Nodding to the assembled gentlemen, he turned on his heels and quickly left the ball. He'd accomplished what he'd set out to do. While not a total failure, he realized that he needed to rethink his plan. Sabrina was wary and obviously skittish; there was no way he would be able to ease past her defenses enough to court her before the end of the Season. While he had hoped to take his time, allowing her to get to know him before broaching the subject of marriage, it appeared that he was going to have to take a different approach.

A few days later Sabrina was walking in her mother's garden when a maid approached. "Excuse me, my lady, but your father sent me to fetch you." Sabrina nodded; dismissing the maid she went to find her father.

Sabrina found him in his study, sitting at his desk behind a mound of paperwork. His steward was noticeably absent which meant this was to be a private conversation. There had been more then a few since Sabrina's return two years ago. "You sent for me?"

Jonathan looked up and motioned Sabrina into a chair. "I did. I've spent the past two days in negotiations with Lord Radcliff, he's asked for your hand in marriage."

Sabrina felt the blood drain from her face; if her father had been negotiating with Lord Radcliff that meant he was seriously considering the man's offer. "I can't, you know that."

"You can and you will; the contract has already been signed and the announcement will appear in today's paper." Jonathan had intentionally waited to tell his daughter until it was too late. "You're to be married in two weeks. Lord Radcliff has already started the preliminary preparations; however, he's prepared to hand them over to you and your mother."

"Father..." Sabrina was momentarily speechless. "We talked about this after...two years ago, and agreed that marriage was no longer an option."

Jonathan understood his daughter's reluctance but this was best for her. "Marriage to the young men courting you last Season was no longer an option. Lord Radcliff is different..."

"Because he's a bastard," Sabrina said bluntly.

Jonathan ignored her, "Lord Radcliff is different; he's older and his own...background, affords him a certain amount of understanding that would escape most men."

Understanding dawned and with it, horror. "You told him?!" Sabrina gripped the arms of the chair to keep from standing.

"He made a very generous offer; I couldn't refuse out of hand nor did I want to. Full disclosure was required." Not that it was any of her business, Jonathan said, "Not only did he not withdraw his offer, he didn't change any of the terms at hearing of your situation."

Sabrina felt herself flush with shame. She hated feeling like a damaged breed mare having her purchase price negotiated. She'd always known that her marriage would be, in large part, business between her father and her future husband. Still, it was humiliating having her value discussed in terms of pounds. "What's wrong with him?" She asked.

"What do you mean?" Jonathan recognized that the worse was over, the shock was wearing off and Sabrina was on her way to acceptance.

"I mean, what's wrong with the man that he would take damaged goods for a wife?" Sabrina hated the bitter tone of her voice but couldn't help it. Over the years, she'd come to accept her situation but there were times like now when she found herself feeling resentful.

Jonathan considered his words carefully. "Obviously, he didn't know about your situation when he asked for your hand. Despite that fact, you are still considered a superb match and your similar stations make you an obvious choice."

"Would you have considered him an acceptable match for me if I was still a virgin?" Sabrina was surprised at her own boldness at asking but she needed to know.

Jonathan sighed; realizing that they were at the heart of the matter and that there was no avoiding it. "Honestly, I don't know. He's the son of a duke, no matter the circumstances of his birth, and with his father's illness likely to come into his title soon. Not only that, but he's reputed to have amassed quite a fortune on his own. You'll be the duchess of a wealthy estate. It's a good match."

Sabrina nodded. She knew her father spoke the truth and while she'd never really cared about titles, position or power it had bothered her to think that she was some how worth less now then before. "Alright," she agreed, knowing that her acceptance was mere formality. "What happens next?"

"Lord Radcliff requested that you join him for dinner tonight," her father said. "He expressed a desire that the two of you be given time to get acquainted before the wedding. His carriage will arrive at eight; you'll take your maid with you." Sabrina stood at the dismissal and let herself out of her father's study. As far as requests went, it was reasonable, almost considerate.

Sabrina would have liked to spend the rest of the day thinking over her upcoming marriage and getting ready for her dinner with Lord Radcliff. Unfortunately, her mother had other ideas including an impromptu trip to the modiste.

Gojenngo
Gojenngo
761 Followers