Epiphany Pt. 03

Story Info
Confrontation. How does he keep her from profiting?
7.1k words
4.58
92.8k
90

Part 3 of the 5 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 08/31/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Farmers_Son
Farmers_Son
1,797 Followers

The Storm Breaks

He went into work and called his attorney. He didn't need much more evidence to start changing things. First was his will. All of his estate would be held in a trust for Cinda and any siblings until they each reached the age of twenty-five. Sam started and funded an education trust for Cinda and any other children of Cindy. He made sure that the fund would easily provide for the education even if any child wanted to become a physician. He specifically limited the fund to exclude certain degrees. There didn't need to be any more lawyers like Charlie Wink or accountants like Linda educated with his money.

Divorce papers were also ordered to be prepared. Sam would decide when they were to be served. Right now he was considering having Linda served while fresh from Charlie's bed. Since they seemed to meet multiple times a week the timing of the papers weren't a pressing problem. He also enquired about the possible suing of Mary Morse for fraud for getting him to pay for all of the repairs on her home over the past few years.

His attorney thought that would be hard to prosecute but just the notoriety of Mary's son suing her would harm her in her social circle. Sam put that one on the back burner for a bit.

While he was on the phone with his attorney Linda texted him a couple of times asking him to call her. Sam ignored her. She hadn't bothered to contact him since he sent her the text saying he was dealing with an emergency so there was no hurry to respond back.

Sam then sat down and figured out how much it would take per month to pay all the bills. Their house was fully paid off so there was no mortgage on it. Sam arranged for extra lawn care as well as upgrading the pool and hot tub maintenance since he would not be doing any of those chores any longer. He also figured an amount for food and an average for electricity, cable, cell phones, and all the other absolute necessities of modern life. He then added a figure for an allowance for Linda. It wasn't nearly what she normally spent on clothes, hair, and just average expenses but she would have to make do.

After getting the amount set in his head he called their bank. He reduced the amount in the joint savings to just a few thousand for emergency repairs and unplanned expenses by moving the balance to a new account in his name only. Then he set up a new checking account and moved the extra cash from their joint account to the new account. He also set up a bi-monthly payment to the old joint account so that Linda would not be left destitute.

Sam then called his insurance agent and had him prepare new insurance policies that would make Cinda his beneficiary. The agent informed him that he could just change the beneficiary to Cinda but Sam wanted all new policies. Letters would come to the house informing Linda that the old policies had been cancelled.

Sam considered taking Linda's name off the title to the cars but decided to not go that route. If necessary he would just buy a new car for himself.

Then Sam went and moved a lot of money that was invested domestically to international funds in his name only. He would just keep the statements at work so Linda wouldn't know about the change in investments. Some profits from the firm were being siphoned off to offshore accounts. All IRS requirements were being fulfilled. That money would just be very hard for Linda to get hold of.

Sam also sent a new mission to the investigators. He wanted to know everything possible about Charlie Wink. All available resources were diverted to that investigation as Sam wanted dirt fast.

Sam ate a small lunch. Right after lunch he was visited by his son-in-law, Doug. "Sam, I was told you were out of town on some kind of emergency. What gives?"

"Well, Doug, I never said I was out of town. I just let Linda know I had an emergency to deal with. It is an ongoing problem and I have to commit my entire focus on it so I can't be distracted while I deal with it."

He told Doug to sit down. "While you are here I need to have a conversation with you."

Doug nodded. "I suppose you have heard that I am talking to each and every employee of the firm about personal behaviors?" Doug nodded again. "Now, I have no idea if you are having an affair or not." Sam put up his hand as Doug started to speak. "Just let me say that I don't believe you are or will step out on Cindy. I just want you to know that if you do succumb to temptation and break your marriage vows I will do everything in my power to break you. First and foremost of all would be to fire you as I cannot and will not allow that kind of behavior in my business or in my family."

Doug took the comment seriously. "What, instead, would happen if Cindy decided to have an affair?"

"Well, Doug, that would be your problem to solve. I would let Cindy know, very emphatically, how I view infidelity. She might just find that I would no longer consider her my daughter."

Doug seemed about to say something but he bit his lip and held his counsel. Then he asked. "What if Linda was the one who broke the bonds of matrimony?"

Sam smiled. "I would do everything in my power to assure that she did not profit from destroying our marriage. That might include very drastic measures that I won't discuss right now."

Sam leaned back in his chair. "What actually caused you to ask that particular question?"

Doug shrugged. "I was just clarifying what I believe you intended when you told me what would happen if I fail to keep my vows."

Sam knew then that Doug probably knew about Linda's relationship with his old friend Charlie. Doug's days were now numbered as an employee of his father-in¬-law.

"While you are here I also need to bring you up to speed on some of the changes in leadership in the company. I am grooming Harry Stiles to be my replacement when I retire. In order to make this a seamless change he is assuming some new duties now. We are now searching for his replacement. If you know of anyone who would excel at that position please let me know."

Doug now looked worried. He had anticipated getting Harry's position when Sam retired. Conversations that the men had previously had at the supper table over the years had reinforced that belief. Doug was smart and ambitious. He knew that nepotism would play a factor in his rise in the company but now it didn't seem as though Sam had confidence in him anymore. What had changed?

Suddenly he knew. Sam knew about Linda's affair and he believed Doug was a part of it. His face fell. Sam nodded at his erstwhile son-in-law and dismissed him. Doug slowly made his way out of the office. At the door he turned. "I just want you to know that I never gave any approval to what you think I know. I tried to argue against them but was told to stay out of it. I certainly didn't approve of what was going on and how they were doing it."

Sam just nodded and turned his back on Doug. Doug got the message.

Sam was depressed now and barely ate a salad with grilled chicken for lunch. After lunch he interviewed a couple of other employees and then headed out to Cindy and Doug's to pick up Cinda for an afternoon in the park.

He expected Cindy to be upset with him and he was not wrong. She flung open the door as he approached. "What the hell is going on, Dad?"

"I have come to take my granddaughter to the park."

"That isn't what I mean and you know it."

"Sorry but that is why I am here. I wish to take Cinda to the park and enjoy some time with my granddaughter."

"What if I don't let you take her?"

"That is your prerogative. I cannot go against your wishes as her mother. I am asking for the opportunity to bond with my granddaughter."

"Why are you punishing Doug?"

"I did not know that I am punishing him. Has he done something illegal or unethical that would warrant punishment?"

"No, he has not done anything."

"Then I am not punishing him."

"But you basically told him that he will not be promoted to vice president."

"Did I?"

"What do you have against him?"

"I demand loyalty from my employees. Ask any one of them. Recently I began to weed out the unethical as well as those who take their marriage vows lightly. I just interviewed him today as part of that process. I did not ask him any question I have not asked any other employee. If I feel that an employee will not correct improper behavior then he or she might end up unemployed. Did I fire him?"

"No, you know you didn't. But you and he have talked long and in depth about the possibility of him someday taking over the company and now you just asked him if he knew anyone who could take over Harry Stiles' spot instead of promoting Doug."

Sam shrugged his shoulders. "Maybe I have a doubt about Doug's loyalty to the firm and, in essence, to me? I don't know right now. Should I doubt his loyalty?"

"How could you do this to me, your only daughter?"

"I am confused. What has any decision I may make or have made about Doug have any effect on you as my daughter? Isn't he still employed? Have I asked him to choose between you and me? Is there something you should be telling me?"

"You know what I mean, damn it!"

Sam turned to walk away. It was obvious he was not going to see Cinda today. Cindy yelled, "Don't walk away from me, Dad!"

Sam turned. "Actually I am seriously considering giving you something you really want."

''What is that?"

"I do not want you to consider me your father anymore. From now on I am just Sam Morse, the man who provided the sperm for your birth."

That left her speechless. Sam went to his car and left without looking back to see Cindy collapse against the door frame.

Sam made a phone call. "Harry, don't ask questions right now but I need you to lock Doug Welton out of the system. I believe he is going to get a disturbing phone call in the next few minutes and he may try to harm us in some way. Have security go to his desk and just stand by in case he tries something physical." Harry knew enough about the events in Sam's personal life that he didn't waste any time questioning his boss. He immediately had the IT department freeze all transactions that Doug was involved in. Part of the trust in a brokerage is that employees would not deliberately harm the computer system or steal from accounts. Occasionally an employee became too tempted and diverted customer money. An employee with an axe to grind could potentially damage the computer system and corrupt the files. A lot of money and time would have to be spent rebuilding the files and the clients' confidence in the company. Stopping the employee before damage could be done is the preferred method of handling potential problems. You can always apologize to the employee later.

Doug was in the midst of trying to talk to his wife on the phone when his computer screen suddenly went dark. Cindy was crying as she realized she was getting exactly what she wished for. Her daddy had just disowned her. She couldn't get hold of her mother. She supposed her mother was in bed with Charlie right now. She needed to warn her that Sam knew.

Doug tried to reason with his wife but then realized that his career might just have died. "Shit, shit, shit." He hit the keyboard with his fist before realizing that security was standing and watching him.

The security guy motioned at Doug's phone. "Cindy, please listen to me. Your dad just had me locked out of the system. There is a security guard that needs to talk to me. Keep trying to get hold of your mother while I try to talk to Sam."

Cindy finally understood what Doug was trying to tell her. Could this day get any worse?

Yes it could. Doug came home an hour later. He had been suspended with pay pending a full investigation of his recent transactions and expense reports. Their income just took a big hit as his base pay was only a fraction of his normal pay. Commissions made up the bulk of his income. Like so many others they lived paycheck to paycheck with little reserves.

Cindy was still trying to get her mother to answer her phone. God almighty, didn't they ever stop fucking?

Cinda also was starting to be fussy. She hadn't had a nap yet but was wound tight as a clock and demanding her mother pay attention to her. Doug perked up enough to help with his daughter but Cindy's stress wasn't reduced very much by his help.

Back in the office Sam finished dictating a letter to Mary Morse. In it he stated he felt there was a conflict of interest and his firm could no longer manage her portfolio. He recommended a couple of good brokers who could easily handle her investments. He had Delight send the letter by courier so that Mary could get it as soon as possible. Since Mary had announced to the family that she was getting Sam to foot the bills on her repairs and upgrades he assumed she had other accounts already with other brokers and firms. The amount he had been handling was a small amount that had been in line with his belief that Mary had little savings.

He sent another letter to his former brother, James. This letter was similar to the one to Mary outlining how recent events made it impossible to continue to manage James's portfolio. He gave the same brokers' names to James and requested that the decision be made immediately or he would be forced to freeze the accounts so that James would be assured that nothing untoward was being done to his money. He sent that letter by a separate courier. Usually this kind of announcement was sent by registered mail but Sam was feeling forced to bring this whole affair to a rapid conclusion.

Sam knew he should have avoided a conversation with Doug but his stress levels were too high. Sitting and trying to act as though nothing had changed in his life was killing him. Activity was keeping his mind sharp.

Sam called his sister, Darla. He was short and to the point. "Did you know about Linda and Charlie?"

Darla sighed. "No, Sam, I didn't. I suspected something but I had no proof except how the two were acting at Cinda's party. Hell, I think that Linda was playing with Charlie's cock while sitting at the table. I tried to talk to mom but she seemed pleased that Linda was fucking around on you. I told her off the other day when she trash talked you."

"Okay, Darla, I believe you. I just sent letters to both Mary and James telling them to move their money to other brokers. Cindy has been disowned because she wishes that Charlie was her real dad, not me. Doug knew about the whole damned thing so he is suspended for now. Your money is still making you money. I will arrange to move it to another firm if you have lost faith in me."

Darla refused and said she was in Sam's corner before they rang off, as the British say.

Sam took the rest of the afternoon off and went for a long walk. He hadn't heard from Linda yet but was expecting a call at any minute. While he was walking his investigator called. Sam stopped and found a place to sit while he listened to Wilford's report.

"It appears your wife's lover, Mr. Wink, is in serious arrears on his home loan and his other loans and obligations. He hasn't worked since his wife passed away. I believe he is expecting your wife to fund his lifestyle. This may be why he seduced her."

"Well, Wilford, I believe that she is a willing participant in any seduction so I believe she doesn't love me anymore and has thrown her allegiance to him. Please continue your investigation and let me know if you find anything else out."

Sam put away his phone and continued his walk. He finished his walk near his temporary domicile, the Hilton. He quickly took a shower and then looked at his phone again. There were a few texts from James and Mary. Both expressed disbelief that he was firing them as clients. He deleted the texts.

The expected call from Linda still didn't materialize. Cindy, though, was a different matter. Cindy left multiple voice messages. Most were just begging him to call her. Sam sighed and made the call. Cindy started right in. "Why did you suspend Doug, Dad?"

"First, I am no longer your father. Please address me by my given name or Mr. Morse if you please."

"Dad, I mean, Sam, why did you suspend Doug?"

"That is an internal security question that cannot be discussed outside of the building. Mr. Welton can come in and ask for a review or he can file a grievance. Pending a full investigation to make sure he has not performed an illegal or unethical act he cannot represent the company in any form. This is a standard policy whenever the loyalty of an employee is called into question."

"Doug is loyal to the company, Dad, and you know it."

"I am sorry, what did you just call me?"

"Excuse me, Asshole. Doug has done nothing to warrant this suspension."

"I will break protocol for a moment. He knew about an unethical relationship involving members of my family and did not show any loyalty to me, the owner of the company he works for. He failed to notify his supervisor or management of this unethical behavior so his own behavior is now in question. A full investigation should prove that he has not done anything wrong. If this proves out he will be reinstated as soon as possible."

"How long will this take?"

"At his level of management it might take a couple of weeks. We will, of course, try to complete the investigation as fast as humanly possible."

"In a couple of weeks we will be broke. You know we can't afford that."

"Well, I suggest that you take up any money matters with the man you wish was your father, Charlie Wink."

"Wait a minute. Where did you hear that?"

"From your mouth, Cindy, from your mouth to my ears."

"No, no, no. I never meant that. I was just talking."

"Sorry, but I don't believe you. My granddaughter believes that Charlie is her grandfather. You laughed and made fun of me. Your grandmother called me names and you did nothing to defend me. So, I believe you when you say that you wish Charlie were your real father. By the way, I changed my will."

Cindy started to cry. Was this really her father, the man who dried her eyes when she was small? Was this the man who dropped everything to attend her events? Oh shit, she remembered stating that he had never been there for her.

Sam let her know one more thing before breaking off the call. "By the way, I put your mother on a strict allowance this week. She may not know about it since she has not tried to contact me in any way. I don't think she will be able to help much in the way of cash during this trying time. You might ask your grandmother for some money since she stated she had been able to pay for her own expenses for years but had gotten me to fund her lifestyle. She should have some money lying around somewhere."

He didn't know if Cindy really heard him as her crying was getting intense. Oh well, you make your bed then you have to lie in it.

It was time for something to eat. Sam went down to the restaurant and had a nutritious meal. He sent his compliments to the chef. Afterwards he looked up some real estate offerings. Instead of buying a place himself he was contemplating using the corporation to buy a place for him to live in. He had not abandoned his idea of finishing the mother-in-law space at the house but he was now not looking forward to ever going back to that house. If he went through with the divorce he would offer it to Linda as part of the settlement.

No, he wanted his own space. It didn't have to be large or ostentatious since he was not thinking about hosting large crowds. Instead he needed a smaller space for hosting a single person or maybe another couple.

He found a couple of places he could look at tomorrow. Both looked to fit the bill so he was confident he would have a permanent place to live quickly.

Then he looked up classes in basic cooking. He needed to learn how to fix small nutritious meals so he could continue to eat healthy while he was losing weight. He found some likely culinary schools that catered to the single person. Most met in the evening so that would be easily worked into his schedule. He would just work out a little earlier.

Farmers_Son
Farmers_Son
1,797 Followers
12