Eve Gets Out of Her Depth

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

As Eve sat down, her mother told her father, "You better give Eve some of that brandy."

Then she started, "David has told us everything. You were stupid enough to take a good and patient man for a fool. Someone in your office told him that this man Peterson was after your nickers before you had even spoken to him. Dave tried to warn you by talking about people he knew that were getting divorced because the wife was seduced."

Eve thought back and remembered that conversation. She had agreed with Dave that all a man could do was divorce his wife after she committed adultery. Why had she not realised that Dave was warning her?

"Dave was aware of all your lunch dates. You will see from the contents of that folder on the table that Dave was aware of every meeting you had with Peterson."

"Why didn't he stop me then? If he had stopped me then, none of this would have happened."

"Eve," her father came in at that point, "if Dave had stopped you, what would you have done? Been more careful so that Dave could not catch you with your next boyfriend? Dave didn't want that kind of heartache. He was convinced you would see the error of your ways and come back to him before it was too late."

"Dave watched you and Peterson come out of that first concert. He called your father and got me to call you on the pretence that he was short of credit on his phone. He knew that you would come home straight away when you heard Toby had been hurt. That same evening, Dave sat there and talked about the fight over the adulterous wife at he hospital and you still didn't catch on. But your father did. And that's why he took me to the concert the next Wednesday."

"Dad, if you knew, why didn't you stop me?"

"I wasn't sure what was going on. However I knew David was upset about something and if you'd noticed the look he gave you when you said you going to another concert, you would have turned to stone. When I saw you come into The Café that lunchtime, I knew what you were up to. And I saw how you looked at that man Peterson so I knew who he was."

"Why do you keep calling him Peterson? His name Is Peter Watts."

"I think you had better take a good look through that folder, girl. Dave left it for you. He thought you might like to know just whom you were sharing your bed with. I've read it and it's frightening that a man like that is on the streets."

Eve picked up the folder opened it and pulled out the sheath of A4 papers. The top sheet was a photocopy of a police mug shot labelled "Lars Peterson." Below the picture someone had written: -

Lars Peterson AKA Peter Watts, John Paterson, John Watts.

History: - Drug smuggling, Pimp, Mule Runner.

Possibly involved in two suspicious deaths in Sweden and one in Germany.

Wanted for questioning about the disappearances of several women that have been associated with him by the MET. Interpol can find no trace of them. It's believed he could be involved in a high price prostitution ring running out of Paris.

A woman acting as a mule died in the US and the FBI has linked Peterson with her.

There are outstanding arrest warrants issued by the FBI, as well as Germany, Holland, and France.

Last known location - London 10 days ago. He skipped shortly before the police could arrest him. Now believed to be in France or Spain. The Dutch authorities have issued European Warrant for drug smuggling, so he can be arrested on sight.

Dave, as you have asked for a copy of this report, I can only assume you have come across our Mr. Lars Peterson somewhere. Any help in locating him would be appreciated. Feel free to call should you need any assistance.

Eve had a quick look at the rest of the papers. Some were lists of all the lunch dates she had with Peter, giving time and place, what they had eaten and even the cost of the bill. The rest were printouts of all her e-mails to Peter and his replies. Assuming her parents had read them, she felt sick.

Eve looked up from the papers at her father, her face showing confusion.

"How did you come by all this?" she asked.

"We didn't, Dave had it. He only got the police report last week. If he had received it earlier, he would have stopped Peterson straight away. He thinks it was his enquiries that informed the police Peterson was back in England. He gave the file to us last night when we dropped him and children at the airport to catch their plane. He said he didn't know if or when you would show up. But when you did we were to give it to you."

"Where has he taken my children? Do you know?"

"Of course your father and I know. But Dave would only tell us where they were going, after we had promised that we would not to tell you. And after the way you have behaved, we are going to keep that promise. We want to be involved in our grand-children's lives, even if you don't. Dave could well have gone off and told us nothing, However after he had taken you to the station he was considerate enough to come here and see us. He told us all about what you had been up to and what you had intended to do in Paris. Dave even told us that he had the police and some of his friends following you. The police where only interested in Peterson. Dave's friends were there to get you out if it looked like you were in any danger. His friend called us last night and told us they had been forced to get violent with that Peterson man. The British police had informed the French authorities of his location but could not do anything until the French police got there. When they thought you were no longer with him of your own free will, they had decided to act. Dave's people, with the help of the British officers, got you out. You might like to know that your lover boy is now in a Paris jail."

Eve began crying again. She curled up into a ball on the sofa and cried herself to sleep. Her parents, who were relieved that she had not been injured, said nothing more to her that night and took themselves to bed, her father sending a quick text message on his cellphone before he went to sleep.

It was late Saturday morning when Eve awoke to the sounds and smells of breakfast being prepared. Eve went into the kitchen where her father looked up from his newspaper and told her that Dave had booked and paid for a room with full board, for a month, at the Crown Hotel for her to use. "Dave said that you would be able to walk to work from there. You can use the month to find a flat."

Eve was taken aback.

"I thought that you and mum would let me stay here."

"Well, to tell you the truth, your brother and sister have already said that they do not wish to see you anymore. And if you were to move in here, they would not bring the grandchildren to visit us."

"Well, that's bloody marvellous," Eve retorted. "My husband abandons me and takes my children away and my own siblings disown me."

"What the hell are you talking about? Dave didn't leave you. You left him. And going by what that police report said, if it had not been for the men Dave sent to look after you, you might not have been able to come back. You have broken the heart of a wonderful man, He did everything he could to get you to realise what you were doing."

"He could have told me he knew what I was doing."

"And what would he achieve by that? You might have stopped your affair. But he would never have been able to trust you. He would have to watch you all the time waiting for the next man to take your fancy. That's no way to run a marriage!"

Her farther turned back to his paper. As far as he was concerned the conversation was over.

"But what am I going to do? I love my husband and my children. I want them back. I want my life back. Oh, God, what am I going to do?"

Eve's mother turned from the sink where she was washing the breakfast dishes.

"You have made your bed, now you must lie in it, girl. You must realise that Dave is still deeply in love with you. That is why he has done so much to look after you. You need to start eating humble pie and, if I were you, I would start writing him an apology as quickly as you can and beg him to take you back. You will have to convince Dave how much you love him and that you will not do anything like this again. But don't expect him to be easily convinced! You are the only one that can put your marriage back together. I would be careful what you do and who you speak to. From looking at that file I should imagine he has had someone watching you for some time, probably since he first heard about this man Peterson. Dave might still have them watching you in case any of Peterson's friends show up. That could well be the reason he's booked you into the Crown. Any of the other guests could be working for Dave."

Eve spent most of the rest of Saturday writing the first of many letters to Dave. Her father suggested she include a note for the children as she had let them down as well. He took the letters and said he would send them on. All contact with Dave and the children would be via her parents for the time being. Then Eve went to her room in the Crown Hotel.

Monday morning she went to work as usual. Her heart wasn't in it but it kept her mind busy. The girls all asked her how her weekend in Paris had gone. She told as little as possible just saying that it was a disaster and she didn't want to talk about it. The only one she wanted to discuss it with was her best friend Shelly. But Shelly never turned into work all week and Eve could get no answer from her home or cellphone.

Every evening, Eve spent in her room writing letters to Dave and the children. After work she would drop them off at her parent's house and ask if there was any reply. Eve made sure she always ate her meals in the Crown's dining room. If she was being watched as her mother had suggested, she wanted to make it obvious that she was alone.

The following Monday, word came around the office that Shelly would not be coming back to work. One of the girls came up to Eve and said, "Rumour has it that Shelly had been arrested in Holland for drug smuggling. Since you were her best friend at work, do you think it is true?"

Eve didn't know. But she did start thinking to herself that it was Shelly who had been the first to point Peter out to her and she had kept on about being so sure he fancied Eve. It had been Shelly's assurance that there could be no harm enjoying a nice lunch with a handsome man that had persuaded her to go on the lunch dates with Peter. It was Shelly who convinced her that she could get away with spending the weekend with Peter in Paris. Could Shelly have been a friend of Peter's? Had Shelly set her up? She figured she would never know.

A few days later the police paid a visit to Eve's office and spoke to some of the girls in private. One of the officers looked vaguely familiar to Eve but she could not place him until he looked right at her and gave her a wink. She remembered his face from when he had come into the lift in Paris. The girls said later that the police were asking about Shelly. They all expressed surprise that Eve had not been interviewed as she was Shelly's friend.

For the next few weeks nothing changed, Eve continued writing her letters but received no replies. Her mother did let on that Dave and the children had been in Australia visiting Dave's sister but had now moved on. The children were missing Eve but were enjoying their holiday. Apparently Dave had turned down a good offer for the house. Eve's mother thought this was good news as maybe he was thinking of coming back there.

As the end of her month at the Crown Hotel drew near, Eve had a talk with the manager and negotiated a deal to stay on, albeit in a smaller room. She hoped that it would send a message to Dave that she was not making any permanent arrangements because she wanted them to get back together.

As she struggled with her belongings along the corridor to her new room, Eve heard a man behind her offer to help. Without looking she said, "I can manage, thank you."

"That isn't what you said in Paris." Eve turned and saw the big police officer standing there smiling. So she accepted his offer and, between them, they carried all of her gear to her new room.

He introduced himself as Roger. Then he proceeded to ask her lots of questions about Peterson and Shelly, taking a special interest in Shelly's friends at the office and asking if Eve had ever met any of Shelly's friends other than those at the office. She could be of little help because Eve had only worked at the office a few months. Roger thanked her for her help but finished by saying Eve had had a lucky escape, which was more than Shelly had. Then Roger produced some official looking forms from his pocket and asked Eve to sign them. As she did so Eve asked,

"What am I signing here?"

"The Official Secrets Act, and a waiver for any injury you receive whilst helping us track down and arrest one Lars Peterson. You will note that they are dated three months ago. The official story will be that you were working for us as bait for Peterson and Shelly. We put you in the office hoping they would approach you to smuggle drugs for them. All your actions were part of our plan to catch Peterson. When Peterson skipped the country, you conned him into meeting you in Paris, allowing us to put the French police onto him. It's a good story and should keep the powers that be off of your's and Dave's backs."

"I'm getting lost here. When you say 'us', you are talking about the police, aren't you? And why would Dave's actions come into it? He was just trying to get me away from Peter."

"Well, this is where I'm going to get a little vague on you but, now you've signed the OSA. I can tell you I am a kind of policeman, although I don't work for any department you will have ever heard of. Our job is to target known criminals and terrorists anywhere in the world. Mess up their organisations and if we can, get them behind bars anyway we can. No questions asked. As for Dave and what he chooses to tell you about his past, that's up to him. All I can say is that I have known Dave a long time. You will have to speak to Dave if you want to know more. You know that you're lucky you had Dave as a husband."

Roger stood up to leave and Eve said she wasn't so sure she was lucky, as she had lost the man she loved. Roger smiled at her.

"I've known Dave a long time. If you love him as much as he loves you, you'll win him back."

Eve started to cry. "How can I persuade him to take me back if he won't even talk to me? I'm not even told where he is. The only contact I have is sending letters via my parents."

Roger looked thoughtful for a minute, then said, "I will get castrated for telling you this so don't tell anyone. Not even a bloody priest. There is an old lady staying here, a Mrs. Grant. Do you know her?"

Eve said she had seen her around.

"Well, without making it too obvious, I would suggest that you try to befriend her and, if you get the chance, tell her your story. Convince her and I think you will be surprised what happens. For God's sake don't make it too obvious. She has seen me come up here and she will guess I've come to see you."

"Is she Dave's spy? Was it her that was tailing me with Peter?"

"No chance - she doesn't follow people. Emily just lives here now she's retired, but she used to work with Dave years ago. I should imagine Dave got you a room here, knowing that she would look out for his best interest. I wouldn't mind betting she's in regular contact with him. You need to get her on your side. And now I've said enough and, remember, you didn't hear any of this from me. If she thinks you're trying to get to Dave through her, you'll blow your chances. Oh, one more thing, a little less makeup round the eyes. It won't hurt to let her see how much time you spend crying."

When Roger had gone, Eve sat and reflected over some of the things he had said. She realised how gullible she had been with Peterson. But she also thought how little she knew about her husband and his life before they were married.

Eve remembered how she had first met Dave; he was working as some kind of consultant for the firm she worked at. He would show up in the office now and again but she never did know what he actually did. When they started going out together, Dave's work took him away for months at a time. He would come home with presents for her from far-flung exotic places. But when she thought about it she realised that Dave never did say what he did. Details of his trips abroad were limited to descriptions of the places and historic sites he had seen.

Once they had gotten married Dave's trips suddenly got shorter. He would never be away for more than a week at a time, usually visiting places in Europe. Then once Eve became pregnant Dave changed his job. He now worked for a firm in the city and Eve realised she knew a lot more about the job he was doing now, than she did about what he had been doing before they had the children.

'God, am I that naive and gullible?' she thought. 'Was Dave doing some dangerous job for the government for all those years and I knew nothing about it? Was my husband a kind of James Bond character and I never knew? But then I must be thick, because that Peterson bastard conned me so easily.'

Over the next couple of weeks, Eve increased the amount of time she spent in the lounge. Now that she was aware of her, Eve could feel the old lady watching her when Eve's back was turned.

Because she was in the lounge, Eve became acutely aware of the men that tried to pick her up; she would brush off their advances, making sure Mrs. Grant could hear her rebukes.

Then Eve got a brain wave, just after she had told yet another would be gigolo that she was not interested. She went over to Mrs. Grant's table and asked if she could sit with her, as sitting on her own appeared to be giving all these would be Casanovas the wrong impression. Eve told Mrs. Grant that she was a happily married woman and didn't appreciate their unwanted attention. This proved to be a masterstroke.

Mrs. Grant said Eve was welcome to sit with her as she had noticed the problems Eve had been having and was aware it was causing her some distress. After that night, Eve joined Mrs. Grant (or Emily as she insisted Eve called her) for all their meals and every evening in the lounge. Emily spent must of her time knitting and she reminded Eve of Miss Marple from the Agatha Christie novels.

As it turned out, she apparently had the same sort of character. Eve noticed Emily seemed to know all about everyone in the hotel and she soon became aware of Emily surreptitiously asking about Eve's problems. After a couple of these sessions, Eve broke down in tears and rushed off to bed.

The following morning Emily apologised for upsetting her. However Eve said she needed someone to talk to and so later that day, Eve told Emily the story. Well, as much as she dared; she did not think it prudent to mention Roger.

Eve told Emily how much she missed her husband and the children. How she couldn't understand what had possessed her to get involved with Peter in the first place. She had been perfectly content living with her loving husband and children. Peter's seduction had been so subtle she hadn't even realised what he was doing. Peter had moved very slowly. So slowly that every step towards cheating on Dave had been so small, Eve hadn't realised she had taken it. If she had really thought about what she was doing for just one moment. it would never have happened.

Over the following few weeks, Eve and Emily discussed Eve's problems most evenings. Eve thought that Emily was quietly giving her the third degree, Emily took her through things time and again and Eve realised Emily was looking for inconsistencies in what she said. Emily appeared to be looking into Eve's soul.