Exposing Life's Cruel Irony Ch. 05

Story Info
Doris' confession and Royce's reaction.
7.3k words
3.81
36.8k
2
0

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/13/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When the grandfather clock chimed two o'clock its sounds awoke Jeff. Noticing that he was on the sofa, with some effort he moved down the hallway. Before entering the guest room he took care of business in the washroom.

He was still a little groggy from sleep as he entered the room. The bedside light was still on. Though the alcohol blurred his mind he was able to notice his son on the floor, the two sleeping forms on the bed. It was evident that the Pam and Betty had been talking before they fell asleep. His eyes fell upon his wife in a the baby doll with a matching thong. He muttered a condemnation upon himself, he was looking for some loving and she was she. He cursed that they misfired. Maybe in the morning he thought.

As he started to crawl into bed he noticed the bra his sister was wearing. Sure it covered the breast but even in his semi-slumber state he could still see the one breast and its nipple. He also noticed she too was wearing a thong. "She sure is a fine looking lady" he whispered as he felt himself becoming partially erect. He quickly avoided changed to think about making love to his wife. He adjusted the sheets and comforter before he turned off the light and climbed into bed with his wife. He closed his eyes and thought of making love to his wife.

When Jeff settled against his wife his presence had a chain reaction. Though it was a queen bed, it was still tight for three adults. Hence, the addition of Jeff moved his wife further into the center and into Betty. A short time later Pam moved from her side to her back. Her friend's breasts pushed into her side. In a semi-sleep state she felt the softness of breasts against her arm. Moments later Betty's arm rested on her stomack.

Pam warmly accepted the new experience. What awoke her a little later was Jeff's hand play holding her pussy and playing upon her clit. She also realized that Betty's hand was now holding her breast and her face was nestled against Pam's neck. Being held by Betty so intimately made her feel uncomfortable so she extracted herself. She still thought Betty was gay and reasoned in her cloudy mind that as Betty is a lesbian it would be better for Jeff to be in the middle. It was not her normal side of the bed, but it would do.

After moving to the side of the bed, Pam quickly drifted off into a peaceful sleep while resting in the comforting arms of her husband. Feeling his form behind her made her feel warm and secure. Just after five Royce started to cry. Pam quickly responded by taking him into the den for his early morning feeding and to change his diaper.

Just before six Pam entered the bedroom. She was a little surprised by what she saw. Both occupants of the bed were still deeply asleep. It was the condition of the coverings and Betty's position that surprised her. The comforter was almost off the bed and the top sheet ran from just below Jeff's thighs to just above Betty's waist. Jeff was asleep on his back and Betty had her head upon his arm. Jeff's cock was poking through the opening in his boxer's. Her right breast had become exposed and her right hand was resting upon her husband's semi-hard manhood.

At that moment Pam concluded that Betty's repeated affirmation that she was not gay was likely true. In her sleep she had cuddled against a man, albeit her brother. Pam concluded that Betty was bi and not gay. She thought of awakening Betty but the discovery of how she is clothed and the position of her hand would unduly alarm her. Waking Jeff could cause equal alarm and embarrassment. So Pam crawled between the two thereby forcing each to move to the side of the bed. Then she adjusted the sheet and comforter and fell asleep.

-------------------------------

Just after eight Pam awoke to find herself on her side with her head resting on Betty's chest and an arm across her stomach. She was surprised to find herself in such a position. Raising her head she saw Betty looking at her. She quickly turned to look at over her shoulder.

"He is changing the baby's diaper" Betty said with a smile. "Merry Christmas. And thank you for my morning Christmas gift. After last night, I was hoping....thank you for the lovely gift. Even though I cannot remember much, I know that your touch was just lovely."

Now Pam was again red with embarrassment. Cuddling against Betty and a head against her breast was done unconsciously and here her sister-in-law was taking it as an intentional gift. That was far from her mind. Part of her now regretted that Betty had remained in their room. Pam remained calm and quietly replied with a simple, "your welcome."

As Pam she was putting on her robe Betty kissed her forehead before saying "It was lovely. I couldn't ask for more....every touch was enjoyable. Even though I was still in a dreamland state except for just now, every second was...wonderful and precious."

Without responding Pam left the room to find her husband playing with the baby in the den just a few feet from the Christmas tree with its red blinking lights. As she approached Jeff said to his baby, "There's your sexy mommy. I hope you will be as lucky as me to find such an erotic and loving woman to be your wife."

She sat on the carpet beside him. Taking the baby from him she said, "Royce, it is your father who the one who brings out the best in me. If you are half as giving and loving as your father some young lady will be happy indeed for the rest of her life." Pam smiled at her husband knowing that he was not offended by what he saw when he awoke. If the half hardened cock revealing itself between the folds of his robe was any indication he did not mind at all.

Royce turned his wife's head to his and kissed her softly with husbandly tenderness. He smiled at her, "mmmm, I love you. Thank you for this morning. I only wish I had been much more awake to enjoy it. I am sorry it ended so quickly." He kissed her before laughing, "Maybe we can it do it all again tonight and this I will be fully awake."

Shifting the baby to her other arm she replied, "You really want it don't you?"

"Of course. I want you to be thrilled and fully satisfied in all things. I want you to just have enough."

As he got to shower and dress she suddenly realized that they were going home late in the afternoon. "I would not build up any expectations. We could be getting home kind of late for much."

With a wink he replied, "The operative word is 'home'. We will be away from family and as I do not have to work tomorrow we can have even more fun."

--------------------------------

When Kristy and Peter arrived at nine they started to exchange their presents, Doris had three wrapped packages for Royce under the tree. When the first was opened it contained only an envelop inside. On the envelope she had penned, "To my adorable husband, may this provide you hours of relaxing enjoyment. Forever you will be at the center of my heart. Your little woman." Inside, Royce found a picture of a Tsunami 145 kayak which Doris said was in a box strapped to the top of Peter's car.

Doris then gave him a gold faced Hamilton Jazzmatic watch. Her last gift brought tears to Royce's eyes. He knew this was part of her effort to make amends and to say that she loved him.

The third gift contained a picture book and a CD. As he flipped through the book he saw she had carefully selected pictures from their photo collection, scanned them in and had them printed into a book format with descriptive phrases of love below each photo. The album progressed from their first days to this past Thanksgiving. On the same page as the picture of them at the Thanksgiving table with the turkey before them was a picture of him in the hospital bed. Under the Thanksgiving picture she had written, "I thank God each morning for each day with you." Royce could only hold his wife and kiss her before his three children.

Doris presented similar albums to each of her children. Each album contained precious moments from each of their lives and finished with a prideful message of love. The CD Doris explained could be played on their computers. It contained pictures from their lives that she had set to music. Since Betty gave their parents a new DVD player that could handle the format used by Doris, they decided they would watch each of the CD's together on the big screen following brunch.

Royce carried forward into his marriage the tradition his father established that on special days the men prepare breakfast and do its dishes as well as doing the dishes following the main meal the women prepared. Hence, as per the Kimble tradition the men looked after brunch preparation and serving while the ladies visited and relaxed.

As Aunt Kristy played with baby Royce, Pam motioned for Betty to follow her to the guest bedroom. "What are you doing tonight?" she asked.

"Nothing. Why?"

"Come to stay with us. You can stay through to New Years."

With a tone of disappointment Betty replied, "That is not possible. I am leaving for Indianapolis tomorrow. I have two days of research time booked in the rare book section of the State Archives starting on the 27th." When she saw Pam's eyes sadden she asked, "Why? What's up?"

Pam went on to tell her sister-in-law of her conversation with Jeff. She was now willing to explore her curiosities with the encouragement of her husband. She was certain that Jeff would want to watch. Betty thought for a moment then said she would arrive on the afternoon of the 30th. "If Jeff watching is a condition, I accept it if you and he accept mine. I get to watch him and you. After all, far is far" she laughed.

When Pam agreed with the condition Betty quickly left her room and returned with a copy of An Emergence of Green and a DVD titled "Fingersmith". Betty asked that Pam read the book and look at the video beforehand. Then Pam welcomed Betty into her arms and this time was the one who moved to kiss her friend tenderly.

----------------------------

The first CD to that was played was Royce's. As it played each wife snuggled into her husband's arms. As she had started the turkey earlier the rush of tasks was now done for several hours. As Betty cuddled her nephew into her breasts the desire to be mother herself was strong. Motherhood would have to wait many more years as she still had to complete another semester, followed by her comprehensive exams and the writing of her dissertation. Also, she had yet to find any man who she was even remotely interested in marrying.

The CD brought laughs and tears to all. So did Kristy's and Betty's. Just as they were about to play Jeff's there was a knock on the door. A moment later Royce returned with Tara. Holding a book and CD in her hand she kissed Doris on the forehead before thanking her for the precious gift. Betty moved off the sofa with the baby so that Tara could sit in her place. As Jeff's CD played, they laughed and cried again. Even the men found themselves choking back the tears when it finished with the picture of baby Royce in the arms of his mother and a caption "The beautiful gift from a wonderful couple who make me so proud."

Tara asked for her CD to be played. By the midpoint Royce, Jeff and Pam noticed what Tara had quickly noticed when she first played it....no pictures that included Vince. There were two that Tara was certain Vince had been in the picture but she suspected that Doris had removed him using editing software. As it progressed Tara laid her head on Doris' shoulder. When the last picture of the two of them at Jeff's and Pam's wedding showed with the caption Tara was in tears. She quickly grabbed her friend's hand and said, "We need to talk!"

Royce looked momentarily alarmed but held his objection when Tara looked at him and nodded.

As they entered the master bedroom Doris' heart raced. Tara closed the door and stood before her and said "I forgive you."

Doris looked surprise and asked, "For what?"

"I know what is behind 'Forever you will be my dearest friend. I am sorry I have not been the same quality of a friend as you have been to me.' You're one of Vince's conquests, or should I say victims. Doris, I know more than you can imagine. I also know about Jeff. And so does Jeff and Pam."

Doris was not expecting this but it was happening. Her plan to hold off until mid January had been shattered. She wanted to control how and when. She had been thinking just how to say things. Now, now she was just reacting to the moment.

She was defenseless and wept as in shame she apologized. Her tears flowed freely as her lips quivered. Tara did not dismiss or minimize Doris' expression of guilt and anguish.

In a cold tone Tara told her friend that she was furious. She told Doris that it took her weeks to overcome her hate. Doris listened with her head bowed Tara how she now saw Doris as a tragic figure. When Doris heard that the initial hate and bitterness was replaced by sympathy and love Doris raised her head.

When Doris asked why, Tara replied that she had realized that Vince had taken advantage of her. She knew Doris had tried to break off the affair but that man continued to prey upon her. She too like her daughter had concluded that Vince had repeatedly raped her emotionally over the years.

When Doris asked how Tara could forgive her destroying her marriage Tara laughed. And it was a sincere laugh before she said, "That man, I cannot call him my husband only that man. That man killed it long ago. It just took until October for me to realize I was fooling myself about his love for me. I had been fooling myself that that I still loved him. The marriage being an empty shame had nothing to do with you."

Tara went on to say that the more she learned about that man's behavior the more she realized how Doris was caught in a web of deception and fear. Though Doris nodded her head she was still having difficulty handling Tara's reaction.

When Tara said she needed to tell Royce today, Doris shook her head violently, "I cannot ruin my family's Christmas." Tara held her tight while telling her friend that she would not be ruining Christmas. Tara told her that if she was correct about Royce, today was the day, now was the moment to tell him. She just finished saying that this when Royce rapped on the door and entered.

Doris looked at her friend and nodded. The news was out. Royce needed to hear it from her lips. She took a deep breath to gather her courage. She looked at her husband in the eyes. She stammered, "I have, oh my I have rehearsed this thousands of time in my mind but the words all escape me."

"Take your time. Its okay. I love you." With that response from her husband the light came on and she uttered, "you know?" He nodded and she fell weeping into his arms. "I have been waiting for you to tell me."

Tara quietly left husband and wife alone.

When she entered the den Tara said, "ladies, I smell that the turkey cooking. I believe we have to finish preparing the Christmas dinner." When Pam asked about Vince she said, "if he has tickets to the Sun and Alamo Bowls. He is planning to drive to Chicago this early the next day to catch a flight to Texas. If he wants to sit alone on the computer and before the television, let him eat cake." And under her breath, "And may the wine that he drinks with his cake become bitter."

------------------------

To say that Doris was shocked and surprised that her husband knew would be an understatement. She cried and cried. She sobbed so hard that she had difficulty breathing and started to hyperventilate. While doing so she kept rambling and mumbling that she should have been strong enough to say no and that she should have found the courage to say tell him twenty years ago. She kept saying that she was a terrible wife and she would pack her things and move out. She said she had brought shame upon the family and that she what she had done was unforgivable.

Royce saw that his wife was emotionally troubled and that she had been punishing herself harshly. He recalled from a supervisor's seminar from years ago that she was showing the classic signs of a person who stood at an emotional junction, that if he reinforced her self loathing it could break her emotionally. She was not rationale at the moment. He knew that he needed to go the other direction to salvage his wife and bring her home psychologically.

He held her and turned her face towards his and told her to listen to him. Her breathing was still erratic when he firmly told her to settle down and to stop talking. He said she was not going to leave unless she wanted to give up on their relationship. Doris's heart quieted with that but calmed when he said that he loved her.

Royce told his wife that she had taken the first step in the healing process by telling him and for fighting against Vince. Royce had rehearsed certain phrases for this moment and the one phrase he wanted needed to avoid was "rebuilding our marriage". He figured trust needed to be rebuilt. He knew he needed to understand all the whys from her perspective, but the marriage as a whole outside this albeit important aspect had been a good one. A fire had raged and gutted part of the house, but the vast majority of the house though damaged by the smoke of the adulterous fire, the house was still strong. There was much still that was good and sound. Together they would bring healing and restoration to the damaged part of the house.

Her eyes started to brighten. He could see that she was relieved that the burden was off her shoulders and that she was looking for hope. As he could still see that the pain and shame was still overwhelming he determined he would give her hope by the bucket full. After a further ten minutes of sitting on their bed holding her in his arms as she agaikn cried quietly she finally was able to sputter between her quivering lips, "how.....so sorry....when did you....I didn't expect this....your not going to throw...when did you....I don't deserve you....honey I am so sorry."

The questions signaled that her rationale mind was taking over the irrational heart. He wanted to tell her all would be well but he had to remain strong. Healing needed to take place but her suffering still had to go through its process.

"Yes, I am hurt. I feel betrayed and angry." Royce spent a long time summarizing how he first suspected, how he learned from Jeff, and about Pam overhearing Doris' confession. He told her how he screamed inside, the difficulty he had in kissing her and holding her, and the restless nights. He reminded her of the "Barry vow" and that called him to learn as much as possible before making any rash judgments.

Doris watched her husband pull out of his bedside table an envelope. He explained that Jeff and Pam had Vince investigated. Royce noted that the investigation had turned up some very damming information about Vince and Jill. Then as coolly as he could, Royce asked her a series of probing questions testing her honesty. The differences between what was in the report and her answers were minor. His wife was being honest. If he had any issue with her responses Royce felt that she was minimizing Vince's guilt and accepting the majority of the blame. Yet he felt comfortable with her acceptance of such blame as it showed that she was not avoiding responsibility. It also signaled that she would work hard to make amends.

As Doris listened to her husband, she heard more than his words. In his deliberate unhurried pace, she heard pain and disappointment. In eyes she saw tears form. Those tears and the pain in his voice cut her to her core. She knew the image of disappointment would be forever burned vividly into her memory. Yet she realized that in the carefully chosen words she was not hearing rage. As he finished she heard something else, something in his voice that gave her hope, his voice became calm as he said, "We will talk more later. For now, let me just say, welcome home." In this tone and in his eyes she did not see forgiveness but love.