F2: An Extra Ticket

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He and Kayla were sitting with Mark, his wife, and a few other people. He was surprised to see that Kayla seemed a bit shy, or at least reserved. He understood that she didn't know anyone other than him, but it was tough to reconcile the quiet woman next to him with the audacious one who had approached him at the soccer game.

The food was served buffet-style, and there was a large selection of Asian foods. Jaden didn't know who had done the catering, but he thought they should have been commended. His favorite dish was a spicy chicken with noodles.

As Kayla moved along beside him, he nudged her. "It'd be perfect if they had pierogies, don't you think?"

She'd given him a small smile and laugh, but he didn't think she found it all that funny. He shrugged and let it go; standing in line at the buffet wasn't a good place for further questioning. After the dinner dishes had been removed and the caterers were switching to desserts, everyone took a break for drinks or restrooms.

Jaden took advantage and reached for Kayla's hand. "Hey. You okay?"

"Sure." She smiled. "Everyone's really nice."

"Want to get something to drink?"

"No, that's okay."

"Come on, let's get some air." He tugged her hand as he stood up.

Outside, he led her to a small courtyard to one side of the restaurant. They sat one of the stone benches and he turned to look at her. "Okay, now you can tell me. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." She brushed imaginary lint off of her dress. "I'm sorry, I guess I'm a little tired. I am having a good time."

"Yeah, it's not bad. I mean, it's no soccer game, but—"

"I can do things besides go to soccer games!" Kayla jumped up and paced the small area. "I'm not stupid."

"I know you aren't. I never said you were. I was joking." Puzzled, he stood and put a hand on her arm. "Kayla, what's wrong?"

She took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I'm just worried, I guess."

"About what?"

She began to speak, then closed her mouth and started again, and the straightforward woman he knew was back. "I'm worried I'm not smart enough for you."

Surprised, Jaden stared at her for a moment. "Why would you think that?"

"Because you have a Ph.D.! Because you work with chemicals and things that have names I couldn't pronounce in a million years. Because you are trying to do things like cure cancer and I'm just the secretary for a family heating company and—"

He heard the tightness in her voice as she stopped herself. For a moment he couldn't believe it. He'd never for a moment doubted Kayla's intelligence, because there'd never been a reason to. She was sharp and quick, and he didn't care how many degrees she didn't or didn't have.

"Anyway," she continued and pulled him out of his thoughts. "I just, um, it's just been on my mind. And then we come here tonight, where everyone's as smart as you are and I'm not, and I'm worried about saying something dumb, or not understanding what you all talk about, and all I know is soccer and football and—"

"Kayla," he interrupted as gently as he could. "Kayla, stop."

She fell silent and stared at the ground.

"Come here." He pulled her to him and after a moment's resistance, she went. "What brought all this on? You never said anything before."

She took a few breaths to steady herself and rested her head against his chest. "I think it's been on my mind ever since I saw your card. But really . . . Mickey was harping on it. He said you were too smart and you'd get tired of me, and I hated to admit it but I was afraid he was right."

"He's not right." Jaden tightened his arms around her. "He is nowhere near right."

They were quiet for a minute. Once he had his thoughts in order, Jaden led her back to the bench. They sat and he took her hands in his and looked straight at her.

"Kayla, I know I can be snarky, but I'm not now. I care about you a lot. I like spending time with you and talking to you. You may not have a degree, but I don't care. You keep me on my toes more than anyone else in my life, and I like that."

"You do?"

"Of course. I love a challenge and—"

"Don't say it." She placed a finger over his lips and smiled. "You were doing so well, not being snarky."

He held her hand to his mouth and kissed her palm. "Sorry. Old habits. Anyway, to put it plainly, Mickey doesn't know shit about you, or me, or us, which means you have no reason to listen to him or let anything he says bother you."

"I know," Kayla said. "I do, really. And it wasn't so much what he said as that I was already thinking it. When he said it, I thought if someone else thought that way, then probably others did, and if you did . . . I couldn't stand for you to think about me like that."

"And I don't. I've never acted like that, have I?" When she shook her head, he went on. "Then what I need you to do is trust me. Believe what I say and what I do, and not what Mickey the Idiot says."

"I know. I do." She sniffed a little and then smiled. "It's just me. A little insecurity, what can I say?"

"You? Insecure? I don't think so." Jaden laughed and caught her hand as she lifted it as though to hit his arm. "See?"

"All right. I'm sorry." She leaned forward and kissed him. "Let's go back inside. I didn't mean to ruin your night."

"You didn't." He stood up and pulled her with him. "You promise not to listen to Mickey the Idiot anymore?"

Kayla shook her head and put a hand over her heart. "I promise."

"Good." He kissed her once more, long and thorough. "I really think we should go back to my place. It's much more intimate there."

"Shouldn't you tell your friends you're leaving?" She returned the kiss.

"Why? They might want to come. I want you to myself."

"But we didn't have dessert." She tilted her head to the side as Jaden kissed her neck.

"That's all right. Suddenly I have this craving for pierogies."