Faith

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
S-Des
S-Des
3,029 Followers

"Hey," he said, trying to alert Faith to his presence without scaring her. "Is there anything I can do?"

She looked up, obviously annoyed. "If you can make this damn thing work, you're welcome to try." She paused, then her eyes widened, "Oh, it's you...Tyler, right?"

Ty smiled, pleased that she recognized him and surprised that she remembered his name. He knew she had to have dozens of guys flirt with her every week.

"Yeah, I stopped by for a drink." He thought for a moment, then added, "I kind of hoped you'd be dancing tonight."

Faith grinned warmly. "Well, I was, but there's nobody here tonight. Everyone but me has something better to do on Christmas Eve. They let me go early, but my car isn't cooperating. Do you think you can help?"

He shrugged nervously. "I'll try. Cars aren't really my thing. I usually call Triple-A." He looked under the hood, but didn't see anything obvious. Faith tried starting it again, but the car wasn't turning over at all.

"Let's head back inside," Tyler said, his face beginning to feel numb. Faith nodded and they hurried back into the bar.

The atmosphere was far less intrusive than the last time Tyler had been there. The music was quiet and the lights turned down, giving the room a surreal quality that made him feel like he should be whispering. He sat at the bar and ordered a beer while Faith went in the back to make a phone call. As he was finishing the first one off, she joined him.

"So is someone coming to fix it?" Tyler asked.

"No, I just called a cab. Johnny's cousin is going to come by soon anyway. He always fixes it for me. If he doesn't have time or can't get it running, I'll worry about it in a couple days."

Ty looked at her in surprise. "What are you going to do in the meantime?"

Faith shrugged. "I don't have anywhere to be so it doesn't matter."

"Nowhere to be? What about tomorrow?"

She looked away. "My parents moved to Arizona a couple of years ago. I'm not seeing anyone right now and all my friends will be with their families. I was just going to sit around the apartment and relax." Faith looked back up and gave him a warm smile. "Don't worry. I'm looking forward to a peaceful day, curled up on my couch, watching TV."

Tyler felt sorrow for her situation, but tried not to show it. He could tell without asking that she would be offended at such a reaction. Besides, who was he to be feeling sorry for anyone that was miserable on Christmas?

"So how long until the cab gets here?" he asked, trying to maintain a neutral tone.

"Actually, they said it will be a while. They're busy, plus a lot of their drivers have the night off."

Tyler smiled, hoping she wouldn't notice how pleased he was that she would have to stay with him. "Would you mind me buying you a drink?" he asked.

"Mind," she said, looking amused, "I was hoping the night wouldn't be a total loss."

"Well," said Ty, delighted by her reaction, "I'd love to ask you for a dance, but I think it might be a little unfair to ask you to change again."

Faith looked at him with a twinkle in her eye. "The drink will be fine, thank you."

He ordered two beers and they walked to a table away from the bar where they sat facing each other. Tyler tried to appear casual, hoping she wouldn't realize just how nervous he was. With her hair pulled back, wearing the maroon sweater and jeans, he thought she looked even sexier than when she had danced for him the previous week.

"So," she said abruptly, startling him. "What brings you out here tonight?"

He grinned sheepishly, "I already told you, I was hoping you'd be dancing."

Faith smiled, appearing genuinely moved. "You came here to see me? Awww, thank you. At least I feel a little better about tonight."

"Well, I'm glad I could at least keep you company. While I have you here, I wanted to ask you something." He watched as she turned her head, indicating he should continue. "You told me your tattoo was 'spiritual.' I was wondering what you meant by that...if it's not too personal."

Faith studied him intently for a moment. Finally she cleared her throat and spoke. "I've had a lot of bad breaks since I got out of high school. I made some serious mistakes and paid dearly for them."

She took a drink, then continued. "Well, I was twenty and had just about done every stupid thing a kid could do. My parents moved away, but I stayed to be near my friends. After a year on my own, I was alone, broke and didn't know how to get out of it. I was close to giving up. I thought about running away and living with my parents again." She looked down at her drink. "It would have been like admitting I couldn't make it on my own.

"One weekend, I was sitting for two kids whose parents were friends with mine. They wanted me to read to them and I grabbed a mythology book they liked. It had a story about the Phoenix and something about it clicked in my head. I'd made mistakes and thought that I had damaged my life because I couldn't take them back. I thought life was a straight line, and if you screwed up, you would be stuck with less than you hoped for from then on.

"After I read the story, I thought about it for days. Finally, I decided that I could put the bad things behind me and start over again. You know, rising from the ashes," she said, with a wink.

"Things started turning around for me and from then on, I stopped worrying about the past and looked at ways to fix the present. I got this job and finally got out of debt. After reading some self-help books one of the girls recommended, I managed to start saving money. The first thing I did when I was out of debt was the tattoo. It might seem silly, but it's a reminder of how close I came to not living my life the way I wanted."

"That's really cool," Tyler said, impressed at the level of insight she displayed. He sat back and had another sip of his beer, finding himself more fascinated with her by the moment.

"So what's your story?" she asked with a grin. "Why are you hanging out here on Christmas eve instead of in front of a warm fire with some lucky lady in your arms?"

She immediately regretted the jocular tone she used when she saw the reaction on his face.

"Well, it's not such a great story, unfortunately. I had been dating a woman for close to a year. Despite the advice from my friends and family, I thought she was the one. Turns out they saw her a lot more clearly than I did." He took a long drink, then nervously ran a hand through his hair.

"Her idea of faithful and mine didn't exactly see eye to eye. I didn't find out until after I bought her an engagement ring and she had agreed to marry me. Once I found out the truth, I confronted her and told her to never bother me again." He smiled ruefully. "Of course, she didn't feel compelled to return the ring. Go figure."

"I'm so sorry," Faith said sympathetically, touching his hand with her own. "There are a lot of people who just don't appreciate what they've got."

"Thanks," Tyler answered, resisting the urge to pull his hand away. "That's nice of you to say." He finished off the remainder of the bottle. "That was four months ago. It was a really bad time," he paused and looked away, "and it hasn't gotten much better." He shook his head. "Wow, that definitely calls for another drink. Can I get you a refill?"

Faith nodded and studied him carefully as he walked toward the bar. What is it about this guy? she wondered. She had met plenty of good-looking guys and heard more than a few sob stories, but it seemed like everything Tyler said managed to touch her. There was just something about him that made her want to know more. She watched him walk back with their drinks, pleased with how attentive he seemed.

After over a year at her job, plus a lifetime of dealing with guys hitting on her, Faith knew all the normal signs. However, Tyler looked at her with affection and desire, but not the kind of unbridled lust she saw from many men. She sensed a level of compassion from him that made her want to find out more.

They talked quietly for the next half-hour while waiting for her cab. The conversation ranged from their childhoods, to work life, to relationships. It was relaxed and natural; more like old friends who hadn't seen each other in years than strangers getting to know one another.

Both of them were so absorbed in talking that they were startled by the sound of a car horn just outside. Faith jumped up and ran to the door, waving to let the cabbie know she was on her way out. She walked back to the table and grabbed her coat, scarf, and purse.

"Well, I really enjoyed the talk, Tyler," she said a little sadly. "I'd like to do it again if you ever have time to stop by the bar."

They shook hands and she turned, heading for the door. Tyler's head was pounding as he felt an overwhelming desire to say something, anything to keep her from leaving.

"You could spend Christmas with us if you want," he blurted, not believing the words as they tumbled from his lips.

Faith stopped in her tracks and turned, looking at him curiously.

"Us?" she asked, giving him no clue what she thought of the idea.

Tyler blushed, realizing there was no way to retreat from his offer.

"My dad and I," he said uncertainly. "It's just the two of us having a late lunch and watching the game. If you're bored, you'd be more than welcome to at least have something to eat and a little company."

Faith paused for several seconds before answering. "How big is it?" she finally asked, with a sly grin.

"Pardon me?"

"Your TV. How big is it?" she said, laughing at his discomfort.

"Oh," he said with a nod, "very funny. My dad has a fifty inch projection TV...with surround sound," he added with emphasis.

Faith looked at him thoughtfully for a moment. "Well, I'm not that interested in a big meal." She watched his face fall and quickly added, "But I love football. Do you think I could watch the game with you guys and maybe bring a salad?"

She couldn't hide her delight at the way his face lit up. It was beyond adorable.

"If Jimmy can fix my car tonight, I'd be happy to come by tomorrow." Faith reached into her purse and grabbed her cell phone. "Just give me your number and I'll call to let you know if I can make it. You can give me directions then."

Quickly, Tyler reeled off his number, almost as if he was afraid that she might change her mind. With one final hug, Faith turned and left. He watched her from the door until she climbed into the cab, then sat down at his table, where he quickly downed the rest of his drink.

"I must be insane," he said to no one in particular.

******

"...You'll see my car in the driveway. It's the dark blue Camry. Great, I'll see you then. Bye."

"So she's coming after all?" Ray asked.

"Yeah Dad, the guy got her car running last night and she just picked it up. She should be here in about twenty minutes." Tyler looked around the living room with concern. "I've got to get this mess cleaned up."

Ray shook his head and laughed. "Son, I don't think I've ever seen you this worked up over a girl. Especially one you just met."

With an embarrassed smile, Tyler nodded, conceding his father's point. "I don't know why. Something about her is just..."

"Special," his father said, finishing the thought. "Trust me son, I understand." The two men gave each other a quick nod. There was no need for further explanation.

A half hour later, the doorbell rang. Tyler couldn't stop himself from rushing to answer it excitedly. Before opening it, he took a deep breath, hoping to appear more calm and collected than he felt. With a shaking hand, he turned the doorknob and swung it inward.

"Hey you, Merry Christmas," Faith said with a wide smile.

Tyler couldn't stop himself from doing a double-take, amazed by how stunning she appeared. Although dressed casually like the previous night, there was something magical about her. She wore faded blue jeans with several patches and a light jacket. With a mischievous grin, she peeled it off to reveal an expensive Bears jersey.

"Nice," he cooed appreciatively.

"Why, thank you sir," she replied, glancing down at the logo. "My father gave it to me. I only wear it for special occasions."

"You know, I thought you were kidding when you said you wanted to watch the game with us," he said, stepping aside to let her in.

Faith leaned in and playfully punched him in the arm. "No way, buddy. I'm here to see the Packers get smashed."

"Well, you're not going to get any argument in this household," he chuckled.

Tyler took her coat and put it in the closet. He was about to lead her into the living room, when she spoke, her words stopping him in his tracks.

"Are these your folks?" He turned to see her pointing at a picture of him with his parents taken when he was in the third grade. It was always one of his favorites, taken at the Grand Canyon. He grimaced at the pain associated with the fond memories.

"Tyler, are you all right?" she asked, noticing his expression.

"Faith, I didn't know I was going to ask you here today or that you'd accept. There's something I need to tell you."

She stared at him, alerted by the sudden change in his mood. "What is it?"

"I told you about Renee and the breakup, but that's not the only reason things have been so tough." Tyler took a deep breath.

"My mom...she got sick a couple of years ago. It was cancer. She fought it with everything she had, but passed away two months ago."

"Tyler, I'm so sorry," Faith said, stepping forward and touching his shoulder.

He gratefully accepted her kind gesture. "It's all right, we knew the end was coming for a while. Christmas just reminds me of her so much...it was her holiday. She's what made it special for me and dad."

"Oh, your father," Faith groaned. "He must be devastated."

"Yeah, he doesn't know what to do with himself. I come over to spend time with him, but just don't know what to do to help. Anyway, I didn't want you to say something and feel bad when you found out. I guess I should have told you before now but I had no idea what to say."

"No," she said firmly. "You were trying not to dump your problems on me. Trust me, I understand." She took his hand, delighting in how warm and comfortable it felt.

Faith nudged Ty playfully, coaxing a grin from him. "Why don't you introduce me?"

******

"Are you kidding me? What kind of horseshit call was that?" Faith screamed at the television.

Tyler looked at her, then back at his father with a wry smile. The day had been a great success. Faith dutifully stayed by Ray's side, laughing and joking, acting more like the hostess than the guest. Once the game started, she sat between him and Ty, cheering boisterously. She rivaled them both by how emotional she got over the game. Faith had been so wonderful that Ty could see his father begin to brighten in a way that had been missing since Marie died.

It only helped solidify the feelings that were rapidly growing inside of him. Everything about her seemed to be perfect. She was beautiful, graceful and as caring as any woman he could have hoped to meet. Tyler even had to smile at the way she immediately started cursing like one of the guys once the game got going. She wasn't afraid to be herself, and he found that irresistible.

They all jumped and cheered as the kicker nailed a forty-five yard field goal to win the game. Tyler found himself in Faith's arms, causing him to blush furiously. He quickly found an excuse to run to the kitchen and compose himself while she continued to celebrate with his dad.

After things wound down, she grabbed her things and said goodbye. Ty gave her a quick hug and a peck on the cheek, which she accepted with a pleased expression. She took the presents he had hurriedly prepared for her the night before, just in case she was able to come by. They weren't expensive, but she had accepted them excitedly as if they were diamonds.

Faith gave Ray one last hug and walked out the door to her car. Tyler watched as she slid behind the wheel. After a few moments, it was obvious that the car wasn't starting and he could see her pound her hands against the steering wheel. Just as he stepped outside, her door swung open and she climbed out, appearing furious.

"Son of a bitch!" she snapped. Faith turned and saw him. "It's dead again. Now what do I do?" The frustration was clearly evident in her voice.

"Come back inside and we'll get it into the garage," Tyler said, hoping to make her feel a little better. He threw on a coat and got his dad to help him roll the car inside. Faith stood next to him fidgeting as his dad looked it over.

After working under the hood for about fifteen minutes, Ray looked up with a smile.

"Well, I can fix it." Just as Faith started to say thank you, he interrupted her. "But not until tomorrow. I'll need a few things and it will take a couple of hours. I can't believe whoever looked at it didn't notice the wiring problem. You're lucky you didn't get stuck in the middle of nowhere."

"I'm stranded," she moaned. "Another cab ride, just what I needed." She caught herself and her expression softened. "I'm sorry Ray, that was thoughtless. It's so kind of you to offer to fix it. I don't know how to thank you."

"Are you kidding?" Ray responded with an even wider grin. "This means you'll have to come back here to pick it up. That's the best news I've had in weeks." When she laughed, he added, "Honestly, I'm happy to have something important to do. I'm looking forward to taking care of this. You're such a delightful young woman, I want to make sure this gets fixed right this time."

"Ray, you are so sweet," she said, stepping forward and giving him a firm hug, followed by a long kiss on the cheek.

"Please," he sputtered. "I don't think you'll need to call a cab anyway...will she Ty?"

"No," Tyler answered immediately. "I'd be happy to give you a ride...if you want me too?" he added hopefully. He realized that she might be reluctant to let him know where she lived, considering how little she knew about him.

Faith looked at him coyly, not betraying her thoughts. "Well, if you're going to be a gentleman about it, I guess it would be wrong of me to not take you up on the offer."

Thirty minutes later, Tyler pulled his car in front of the apartment complex Faith pointed out.

"Thank you for everything today, I had a great time. Please tell your dad thanks again. He is a wonderful man."

Tyler shrugged. "He really is looking forward to fixing it. It's the kind of thing he loves to do. He always wanted a daughter, so is really protective toward young women." Ty smiled, "Especially ones who fawn over him endlessly. You have no idea how much he enjoyed having you over today."

"Just him," Faith replied, raising her eyebrows.

"No," Tyler admitted. "I was very glad you could make it. Everything was perfect today. Thank you." He opened his door and stepped outside.

"You don't have to walk me to my door. You've done enough good deeds for one night."

"Sorry Faith; one thing my father made sure to instill in me was to always walk a lady to her door. You're stuck with me until I know you're safely inside."

She smiled, but Tyler couldn't tell if it was amusement at his insistence or that she was happy with his offer. They walked inside, then took the elevator to the third floor. When they reached her door, he tried to think of a way to smoothly approach her for a kiss. While he debated what he should do, she opened the door and turned her head.

"Would you care for a drink? It's the least I can do, considering your chivalry," she said with an inviting wink.

"Uh, sure...I'd love one," Ty stammered.

He followed her inside and sat on the couch while she went to the kitchen. A quick glance around the apartment revealed a glimpse of her personality he hadn't had the chance to see. It was immaculate, adorned by paintings, poems and magazines, all emphasizing success and personal power. It told him that she was organized and driven.

S-Des
S-Des
3,029 Followers