Falling Home Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wait, I need to pay." Kim tried to return to the counter. I stepped aside.

Dad waved her off, "Don't worry about it. It's on the house for being such a good friend to my Adi." He winked at us and laughed loudly.

"Thanks Mr. Strum. I'm sure I'll see you in a day or so. Have a merry Christmas."

"By dad, see you at home." Kim elbowed me. "Bye Danny, Merry Christmas, I'll see you later." Kim and I left the shop and walked to our cars.

"Seriously, what am I going to do?" I asked.

"Bout what?"

"Bout Danny."

"Don't do anything. He's obviously too shy to make a move so don't worry about it."

"But what if my parents get wind of his interest. I'll never hear the end of it."

We stopped by my car. "Let's just hope that doesn't happen." Kim hugged me. "But if it does. I got your back. I'm your anti-wingman." She walked backwards and waved to me. "Merry Christmas my love, I'll talk to you tomorrow."

I waved back and got into my car. The book had slid out from under the seat. I picked it up and tossed it on the passenger seat and thought about the upcoming evening.

The grandparents would be over tonight. They always came over on Christmas Eve and we opened presents around the fire. It never seemed to matter that it was rarely colder than 40F, a fire was tradition and we sweated our way through.

By midnight, the grandparents were finally leaving. Grandmother Strum asked if I could come and pick her up and take her to church in the morning. I promised I would and hugged her before she hobbled down the path to her Crown Victoria.

Mom, dad, Abigail, Tom, James, Ashlee and I stood on the porch waving; framed by the white lights on the columns we looked like a postcard family. When the lights faded, we turned and went our separate ways. I went to my room to check my email and then to bed.

I had two new messages, both from Natalie. I opened the earliest first.

Dear Adi,

I hope all is well. Christmas disappoints me so much. I really don't like this time of year. It's all bells and best wishes and gifts and love and I just feel like a grinch. I hope you are having a great time there and know that I'm coping here. Missing you is such an odd thing to say, but it's true.

Fa, la, la, la, la...

Nat

P.S. The answer to the mistletoe question is pretty obvious, don't you think?

P.S.S. You aren't as far off as you imagine yourself to be in the grand scheme of my vaseology.

That was odd. Immediately my mood dipped. I was worried about Natalie. I opened the second, more recent email.

Sorry about the rant earlier. I realized after I had calmed down that I sounded like a crazy person, I mean, who hates Christmas? I don't. Not really. I just wish I had people here to surround myself in for the holidays. Maybe these crazy short days are getting to me. I should move somewhere warmer, with more sunlight. Anyway, I just wanted to apologize and hope that I didn't put any dampers on your day. Have a very merry Christmas! I hope Santa brings you something nice.

Xoxo

Natalie

That one was a little better. I wondered what happened to make her day so bad. I hit reply.

Dearest Natalie,

Don't ever worry about sounding crazy, I truly believe that "the only people for me are the mad ones," and if you can tell me who said that, you get a special gift when I return to England in a few weeks. I admit that I was a bit worried about you when I read that first email. Is everything ok? Don't you have any plans for tomorrow? I think you should grab a few friends and treat yourself. You deserve it. No one should be alone on Christmas. Believe me, if I weren't here, I'd be there.

Ho Ho Ho,

Adi.

P.S. The Blue is the most plentiful substance on earth, green is land... At least tell me what is the next color.

I hit send and changed into sleeping clothes. Then I lay down and tried to sleep, and drifted off thinking about Natalie spending Christmas alone and what I'd do if I were there with her.

12