Falsely Accused Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

It was dead silent in MCD. Even Sergeant Rudistan had nothing to say, and was solemnly quiet. All eyes were on me, most in shock. Teresa's eyes had a different quality to them; 'Teresa Cunt' anger. It is possible that it was a good thing she did not routinely carry a crowbar.

"Welllll," I said, keeping my voice relatively calm, "someone is wrong." As I got to the door to the back hallway to leave the room, I turned back and said "By the way... Captain Ross is still you Detectives' boss, so I'd better not hear one word of disrespect. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir." came a jumble of voices from a group of disbelieving Officers. Teresa also fled the room, through the side hallway door.

"I cannot believe what I just saw." said Theo Washington. "How that man could remain so calm after that..."

"Maybe he hasn't processed it yet." suggested Joanne Warner.

"That man is like a computer." said Theo. "He processes everything. Immediately. I sure feel sorry for Captain Ross, though."

"Yeah." said Teddy Parker. "Especially since Peter Gordon is innocent."

"Why are you so sure of that?" asked Joanne Warner, a tinge of anger in her voice. "What if he is guilty?"

"You believe that? Beyond a doubt?" retorted Teddy Parker. Joanne was about to say something ugly, then caught herself.

"I... I don't know." she said. "What I do know, is that this case is tearing this Police Department apart."

Then they all noticed that Deputy Chief Della Harlow was looking into Vice from the hallway, a malicious smile on her face...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was called into the Chief's office. While talking with him, Cindy came into Headquarters via the side door. She looked into Vice, then MCD, and saw her Detectives sitting at their desks, silently working. Very silently working.

She went to her office and sat down behind her desk. As she began looking over Police logs, the door to her office opened. Teresa Croyle appeared, entering without knocking. And the look on her face suggested that 'Teresa Cunt' was about to go ballistic on someone.

"Hi. Didn't hear you knock." Cindy said. "What's up?"

"How could you?" Teresa snarled venomously.

"How could I what?" asked Cindy, though she knew what was coming.

"That little TV appearance you just made." Teresa replied. "How could you do that? You know the case is still being investigated!"

"The D.A. needed to go to the Grand Jury." said Cindy. "So I gave him what we had... like we always do."

"We don't always give them a half-ass case!" Teresa shouted. "And from everything I've seen, it's more than possible that that bitch is setting that poor guy up! You didn't have to rush this through like that! They're trying to railroad that guy, for Christ's sake!"

"Bullshit!" Cindy roared back. "He's not being railroaded!"

"What if he's not guilty?" Teresa shot back.

"I think he IS guilty!" shouted Cindy. "And I'm the Chief of Detectives here! I passed the information on to the D.A., and I have no qualms about it!"

"Fine and good, that's your prerogative!" shouted Teresa. "But you didn't have to throw Commander Troy under the bus on TV like that!"

"I didn't throw him under the bus!" shouted Cindy, rising to her feet to stand off with Teresa. "And they're right: he's investigating the victim, not the perp! He's wrong on this one!"

"And so you go tell everyone on TV that?" shouted Teresa. "The only reason you're in that chair, and Chief of Detectives, is because of that man! And you repay him by doing that to him?"

"What the hell?" Cindy yelled. "I'm supposed to not do the right thing and do my job because of that?"

"That's not the fucking point, and you know it!" Teresa yelled. "You didn't have to say what you did about him on TV! You could have kept your god-damned mouth shut about that, about him! You just gave the Enemy ammunition! They're loving it that YOU of all people said that about him!"

It was beginning to dawn on Cindy that what she'd done to her cousin and boss was wrong. But at the moment, that did not matter. The door to the office was opening again.

"Ladieeeeeees," growled Chief Moynahan, "your voices can be hearrrrrrd all the way down to the other end of the builllllding."

"Sorry, Chief." said Teresa.

"Both of you, my office, if you please." said the Chief.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Okay, is everyone ready for the new semester?" asked University President Sidney P. Wellman. Everyone enthusiastically answered in the affirmative.

The Faculty Department Heads were meeting with the Dr. Wellman in the conference room next to his office on Campus, a standard meeting to wrap up the Summer semester and get ready for the Fall.

Dr. Laura Fredricson sat at her place a couple of seats down and to the left of Dr. Wellman, listening to his agenda items. She began having a sense of foreboding, a 'vibe', as her husband's cousin would call them. She glanced around, and found eyes surreptitiously studying her. None would meet her glance when she looked at them, though.

Some minutes later, Dr. Wellman said "Okay, are there any other concerns that need to come to the group's attention?"

"Yes, Mr. President." said Dr. Jan Camp, head professor of Women's Studies. She was about Laura's age, and like Laura was tall for a woman. And like Laura, Jan Camp was not unattractive, especially for her age. But Dr. Camp's tall, slender figure and the way she walked was almost gawky compared to Laura's elegance.

"Yes, Dr. Camp?" asked Wellman skeptically. He did not particularly like Dr. Jan Camp.

"I am hearing from a number of my students that they are very disturbed about what they are hearing regarding this rape case in Town." said Camp. "They are concerned about what appears to be militant actions by the Police, as well as a callous disregard of the victim's rights and favorable treatment towards her attacker."

"And why does that concern us or this University in any way?" asked Dr. Wellman.

"Some of these students want to take action." said Dr. Jan Camp. "Some want to begin having demonstrations, on Campus as well as off. The question is... when these demonstrations begin, will this Faculty support our students and their right of free speech?" She was looking straight at Laura as she spoke. Laura stared right back at her.

"Of course we will support them!" said Dr. Lionel Carmela, who was short and heavily bearded. He was head of the Political Science Department, and a rabid Socialist. "Their cause is very important!" Many agreed.

"I'm wondering," said Dr. Juanita Rivera of the Romance Languages Department, "if we should be having this conversation here and now. Can everyone in the room be trusted?" She also pointedly looked at Laura.

"That's a good question." said Dr. Jan Camp. "Dr. Fredricson is married to the Police Commander."

"And very proud to be his wife." said Laura, making sure her voice was loud enough to be clearly heard.

"You of all people, Dr. Fredricson," said Lionel Carmela, "should support rape victims."

"Oh, I do." said Laura. "I've also forgotten more about my studies of rape and its psychological effects than all of you put together will ever know. But I also know something else: the accused has his right to a trial to determine his guilt... a trial by a Jury, not by screaming mobs. My husband's nephew was once falsely accused of rape by the Campus Police. And my husband, who has solved more crimes and endured more pain in doing so than all of you put together, is conducting a fair and honest investigation of this crime, and he will not be dissuaded by intimidation tactics."

"Noooo, he'll just beat up the women with that crowbar he carries around---" said Camp.

"That's enough!" shouted Dr. Wellman as Laura stood up to confront Camp, her eyes blazing. "Your comment is out of line, Dr. Camp." Wellman said. It became oppressively silent in the room. Some glared at Wellman and Fredricson with hatred; others looked daggers at Camp.

"What I do not want to see," said Wellman, "is any property damage on this Campus, any persons hurt, nor anything on TV that has Boosters calling me asking what the hell is going on. I'm all for free speech and peaceful demonstrations, but all of you be very aware of how your words and actions are perceived by our generous benefactors, as well as the Public that elects the politicians that oversee us..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ladies," said the Chief as he sat behind his desk, "we are in a crisis, here. I won't say that this rape case is not important, as a young man's future is on the line. But the Bible says 'and it came to pass'... not to stay, but to pass... and this case will pass on, one way or another, while our Police Force has to remain strong for the next case and all future cases."

The Chief continued: "I especially need you two Captains to get your shit together and act like a unified Team. Whatever quarrels you have, hash them out somewhere else, in private. Find a gym with a boxing ring and have at it. But not here, where the morale of my Police Force is put in danger. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir." both women said. They were standing at attention in front of the Chief's desk, absorbing the verbal reprimand.

"Okay, good." said the Chief. "I bee-lieeeeeve we are holding up progress, as the 'Crowbar Angels' meeting is scheduled for this hour. So, let's go to the Commander's office, shall we?"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"I'm sorry about that confrontation." said Dr. Wellman to Laura Fredricson as he poured them some water in his office before sitting down in chairs. "I'm sure you're aware that some of our Faculty are not happy about who you're married to. That obviously spilled over."

"Which is none of their God-damned business." Laura said quietly, letting her potty-mouth language emphasize her anger. Wellman did not fail to notice.

"That's why I wanted to talk to you now." said Wellman. "Laura, you and I have known each other for years, and my wife and I consider both you and your husband to be close personal friends. I also know what your 'second job' was all about, and I supported your service to our Nation through our clandestine services. But not all of the Faculty know that about you, and they do not see your husband the same way Sally and I and many others do. We know just what depths of filth he cleaned up; some here do not... and some either don't care or hate him for doing it."

"There's a 'but' in there, somewhere." Laura replied, her voice somewhat severe.

"Yes, and it's about that rape case." said Wellman. "What Camp did this morning was get Faculty support lined up. She's been working with her more 'militant' students, for lack of a better word, to gin up these demonstrations. She's also gotten signatures from 16 of our more strongly liberal professors to have you removed as Head of the Psychology Department, unless you openly and publicly denounce your husband."

"What did you say to that?" Laura asked.

"I told them to get back to their own jobs." said Wellman. "But what concerns me more is information I have learned from other sources, that your husband's enemies might try to get at him... through you.

"Come on, Dr. Wellman." Laura said acidly. "I was a Deputy Director in the CIA for years, with bounties offered for killing me. I somehow survived. I can take care of myself."

"I know." said Wellman. "And you need to be very careful now. Talk to your husband about it, and also tell him this: some of these bastards are out for blood... his blood. He may not realize exactly what he is up against."

"He knows, Doctor." said Laura. "He knows. I just wonder if the bastards realize what they are up against..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Chief, with all due respect," I said as the Chief, Cindy, and Teresa came into my office, "no matter what my mother and all the other ladies about Town say, you are simply not good looking enough to be a Crowbar Angel."

"Heh heh heh heh." barked the Chief. "Your mother is a brilliantly astute woman, Commander. But I'm just here to ref-r-reeeeee."

"Didn't know we needed one." I said, somewhat under my breath. Out loud I said "Sit down in the chairs, ladies, and the Chief can relax on the sofa." They took their seats.

Cindy looked downright fearful. I wish she would look as fearful when I mentioned 'Police Boxing Matches', but I digress. I looked at her and said "So, Captain, you believe our investigation of the Gordon case is complete?"

"No one said that, sir." replied Cindy.

"Yet you gave the D.A. the case." I said.

"They asked for what we had, and I gave it to them." Cindy said. "Even if we had more, or had nothing at all, Krasney was going to go to the Grand Jury anyway."

"Yes, that's true." I said. "You did your job. Okay, Laura checked on Dr. Milton at the Hospital this morning. He's doing much better. His vitals are getting stronger, his eyes are responding well to light, and Dr. Morgan is not trying to give me the doctor-speak that I hate hearing. But Mary is still sitting with him, and I have told her and Myron to take all the time they need, to help Dr. Milton. So Vice is one woman down. And the Data Branch is one Myron Milton down. How's the Operations Department, Captain Croyle?"

"Good, sir." said Teresa. "We've gotten in some good training. It looks like the slugs in the red shirts aren't stirring up trouble since the Statue Battle, and with School not back in session yet, it's all quiet."

"Calm before the storm." I said. "Don't let the quietness fool you. Okay, either of you have anything for me?"

"Sir, as you said," said Cindy, "with Mary in Vice and Myron looking after his father for the moment, we're pretty depleted in the Data Division. Sonali and Lainie are holding serve for now, but if something big hits, we will be stretched. Do we need to make any new hires?"

"Not until Myron is back, and can interview them with us." I said. "Anyone we hire will be his. Anything else?"

"I need a private word with you, sir." said Teresa. I nodded. The Chief and Cindy left the room. I took out and turned on the bug killer, Internal Affairs be damned by God.

"Sir, this may be out of line, but... how do you do it, sir?" Teresa asked. "I'd be... well, I did rip Cindy a new one, and the Chief ripped us both. How can you sit there like nothing happened?"

I gave a half smile, then reached for one of the framed photos on the edge of my desk, and turned it towards Teresa. It showed Carole and Buddy sitting side-by-side in the backyard of the Mountain Nest. Then I turned another photo around. It showed Teresa, Amy, and Buddy on Christmas Day... before Amy was put in the hospital.

"Buddy and Bowser are two awesome dogs." I started. "Bowser has even been awarded two citations by this Police Force, and he saved a young girl's life. But sometimes, bless his little canine heart, Bowser makes a mistake. Sometimes he gets so excited to see Carole that he loses control, and wets the carpet. At times like those, I have to remember that Bowser meant well, but made a mistake, and that I have to continue to love him unconditionally. And so I clean up the wet spot, give Bowser lots of love, and we move on."

"And like good dogs," I continued, "good people sometimes make mistakes. Sometimes people we love make mistakes. Peter denied Jesus three times, but Jesus still built His Church upon the rock that was Peter. This Police Force still needs Captain Ross to lead our Detectives... and I have to remember to love my cousin and friend unconditionally."

Teresa nodded, and I noted that she was introspective, and almost emotional. I dismissed her to her duties. Time for sentiment was over; I had work to do.

Part 12 - Ginning Up Trouble

Tuesday, August 15th. At 8:30pm, the Town & County Council ended the public meeting and retired to their private chamber to get some real work done... well, that was the intent, anyway.

"Can you believe what Troy did?" asked Kelly Carnes as they sat down at their usual places around the table. "He actually went into the Federal Building and beat the crap out of an FBI Agent!"

"Word I have," said J.P. Goldman, a University Regent as well a Council Member, and a very powerful man in these here parts, "is that it was directly related to Professor Milton's beating."

"Did Troy resign as FBI Consultant?" asked Thomas P. Cook, his voice sounding hopeful. "Because if he did, then his contract with us is ended... and we will not be reinstating it."

"Tough luck, Cook." said John Colby. "The SBI part of that contract is still valid; ergo, the whole contract is valid. And Special Agent in Charge Muscone says that Troy and Ross are still listed on the FBI's books as Consultants, so the contract is fully valid."

"All right." said the Mayor. "Let's get down to business. Old business?"

"Where are we on the chain-of-command structures for the Police Force?" asked Ian McGillie.

"Still in Committee." said Thomas P. Cook. "And I'll be bluntly honest with you, Mr. McGhillie... it's going to stay there for at least another month or two."

"Why?" asked McGhillie. "It needs to be resolved, and the sooner the better."

"It can wait until October." said Kelly Carnes. "We'll implement it when we do all the awards, promotions, and such for November 1st for the Public Safety Department."

"That is not acceptable." said McGhillie. "The Police need for this to be clarified now. We are being neglectful of our duty to our Police Force by leaving this issue hanging, and unresolved."

"Okay then," said Thomas P. Cook. "What's your answer, McGillie?"

"Accept Commander Troy's recommendation and pass it forthwith." said McGhillie.

"No way in hell that happens." said Carnes. "Either we say the Deputy Chief is Acting Commander in the Commander' absence, or nothing happens for two more months."

"Why is the two months so deadly important, Mrs. Carnes?" asked Dagmar Schoen. "Mr. McGhillie is correct: we should do our jobs on behalf of the Police Department and resolve this now."

"So you support the Deputy Chief being Acting Commander, with full authority over the Captains of Detectives and Operations, in the Police Commander's absence for any reason whatsoever?" asked Thomas P. Cook.

"Considering that the current Deputy Chief cannot command her way out of a paper bag, much less lead others, of course not." said Dagmar.

"It's not your way or the highway, either, Cook." said John Colby, his baritone voice cold and menacing. "We should be resolving this, and now, and with something acceptable to the majority of the Council as well as the Police Force, not just your way or no way at all. That's a false choice, and I'm calling you out on it."

"Mr. Mayor," said Cook, red-faced with fury, "this is not a Committee meeting. As a point of order, I suggest we move on with proper Council business."

"Okay, any new business?" asked the Mayor, eager to move on.

"Yes." said Malinda Adams. "I move, and this is formal, that Commander Donald Troy be suspended without pay indefinitely, and the process to terminate him be implemented immediately."

"Sheesh." said Edward Steele.

"Why?" asked the Mayor.

"Commander Troy is a misogynist." said Malinda Adams. "He hates women and makes it obvious. He discriminates against women. A woman was raped in this County, and Commander Troy not only opposed charging the thug that raped her, but is trying to blame it all on the victim herself."

"Let's be accurate, here." said Ian McGhillie. "Commander Troy is investigating all aspects of this case, which is appropriate for him to do."

"Why?" thundered Malinda Adams, her voice malignant with hatred. "A woman gets raped, then she's blamed for it. You men are so typical. You're all thugs."