Falsely Accused Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Commissioner," I said, "if I could've foreseen that, then I would've been able to foresee the whole thing... and not have allowed my family to go into that building in the first place. Obviously I could not reasonably anticipate the ambush and being suddenly surrounded."

At the end, Finneran played what he thought would be his trump card: "Commander Troy, you murdered a human being. Do you feel any remorse for killing that young man?"

"I don't accept the premise of your question." I replied. "I did not murder him; I responded to his threat of throwing a Molotov cocktail at me, and I shot him in self-defense. Again, that's not murder."

"I'll ask the pertinent part again." said Finneran. "Do you feel any remorse at all for killing another human being?"

"To save my family?" I shot back. "Of course not."

"Look dammit, it's a yes-or-no question!" exclaimed an exasperated Finneran. "Do you feel any remorse over killing that man?"

"For the sake of my family," I replied again, "no. Not at all."

I could sense the reaction in the room; some for me, some against.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Teresa and Cindy were theoretically not to have contact with me while I was suspended. When Sheriff Allgood told them that, Cindy had all but gotten in his face and said "If you think I won't talk to my blood kin whenever I damn well please, you got another think coming, Sheriff! Oh, and if you want to fire or suspend me without pay for insubordination, have at it. Won't be long before you don't have a Police Force to suspend, anymore."

"Heh heh heh heh." barked Chief Moynahan. "She's right, you know." The Sheriff just left the building.

So, Teresa and Cindy, as well as Todd, came to visit me at The Cabin, ostensibly bringing Carole and Jim home.

"I think it was a good day before the Board of Inquiry." Teresa said. "We got everything out in the open. We proved the perp was throwing a Molotov cocktail, and the protesters were anything but peaceful."

"You guys did very well." I said. "There are two issues that will come out of this: chain-of-command, and if I'm indemnified."

"The Chief thinks you hurt yourself by saying you had no remorse for killing that punk." Cindy said.

"But you did great challenging that Commissioner's assertion that you murdered him." replied Teresa. "That had to be done. It was dirty pool on his part to try to paste that on you."

"Part of their plan." I said. "Now we'll have to see how long they can delay making a decision."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thursday, August 24th. The heat in the County was rising with the summer temperatures. The University Greek Community (fraternities and sororities) was in the middle of their Rush Week, but several TCPD crackdowns and arrests for underage drinking had dampened the enthusiasm.

Additionally, there were sporadic outbursts of protests by women's groups, but there had been no serious issues. But that was about to change.

At 9:45am, the TCPD received a call for help from the Campus Police. Student groups were massing in what was known as the 'VIP Parking Lot', which was a relatively small parking lot south of the much larger parking lot that was on the southside of the football stadium. The smaller parking lot was in something of a depression, or 'bowl', in the terrain, and it was surrounded by the Campus grass, walkways, big oak trees, and some buildings.

At 9:55am, the TCPD's SpecOps teams were on the west side of the Stadium, near the driveway that led into that small parking lot. To their surprise, Deputy Chief Della Harlow appeared with a couple of Sheriff's Deputies.

"Hewitt!" Harlow ordered. "You are to go down that road and secure that parking lot! Get moving!"

"That order... is countermanded!" yelled a voice behind her. It was Captain Teresa Croyle, wearing full armor...

... and carrying a red crowbar.

And not just any crowbar... it was the red crowbar. Everyone knew what that meant, and tremendous energy surged into the Police upon sight of it.

"I am the Acting Commander here, Croyle!" shouted Harlow. "Hewitt, obey my orders, or you will be brought up on criminal charges."

"Bullshit!" said Teresa, not all that loudly, but with plenty of 'Teresa Cunt' menace in her voice. "If these Officers go down in there, they'll be ambushed. No way in hell I'm allowing their lives to be endangered like that. Your orders are illegal and harmful to the well-being of my Officers! And they will not be followed!"

Teresa was not finished: "In addition, Hewitt, your chain-of-command is through me to the Chief, not through this idiot bitch that doesn't know her fat ass from a hole in the ground!'

"Croyle, you're suspended!" shouted Harlow. "Deputies, arrest her." The Deputies were about to move, but found that they would be facing off against the newly re-energized SpecOps Officers of the TCPD... and one Police Boxing Matches Champion with a red crowbar in her hands and an attitude to match. Guess who was going to win that one...

"Hewitt!" said Teresa, "deploy in a wide ring around that parking lot. Push the protesters into it, and take them down. Make as many arrests as you can. Do to them what Harlow wanted them to do to you. Deputies! Escort Commander Harlow out of here, before she is 'accidentally' shot by a stray bullet." Officers moved with a purpose to implement her instructions. The Deputies got Harlow out of there.

For a long time, since the night I had first brought a blue crowbar down upon the back of Sergei Molotov, I had cultivated the 'mystique', the legend of the Crowbar, a legend and power that had grown beyond just one or two people. That work had paid off today in the exercise of that power without my presence, as the TCPD had avoided being the demoralized victims of an ambush, and instead became the energized ambushers...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Thirty six arrests." said the Chief. "Good work, Captain. That red crowbar suits you." They were in his office, discussing the Police action that had netted 36 protesters.

There had been many men in this group, and they as well as the women had been extremely hostile and violent, trying to physically harm Officers with everything short of guns. They'd slung bicycle locks on chains, thrown rocks and bricks and metal objects, and a few had had Molotov Cocktails, though none were used. Fortunately, no one was seriously hurt, though Officers had violently thrown protesters to the ground in effecting arrests, causing some protesters to whine and demand 'safe spaces' as well as lawyers.

"No sir," said Teresa, "it does not suit me. It suits Commander Troy. He asked me to carry it to make a point to some people. But we need him back, sir. And the sooner the better."

"I know." said Moynahan. "The I.G. and the Sheriff called me. Harlow filed a formal complaint of insubordination on your part. She wants you suspended. The Sheriff and I.G. says they will investigate internally first. That's their way of stalling."

"So they got rid of Commander Troy, and now they're gunning for me." said Teresa. "And they're doing all they can to get our people hurt, too, Chief."

"Yes, I know" said Moynahan. "And I've had my fill of it. Captain, you're still on duty as of now. Act exactly as you would under any other circumstances. Your direct chain of command remains Commander Troy and then me, and I just told you to disregard any orders Harlow gives you. Dismissed." Teresa got out.

The Chief picked up his phone. "Briscoe!" he all but shouted into it. "Tell the Press there will be a press conference at 11:00am."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The Press Room was full, and it was buzzing at 11:00am when Chief Moynahan entered the room. He stepped up onto the raised platform area and stepped up to the dias.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming." said the Chief. "I am here to make two announcements. First, I commend Captain Teresa Croyle and her Officers for handling an ugly protest by violent thugs today. The charges against those arrested will include assaulting Police officers and other crimes of violence against other persons. Captain Croyle also acted to prevent our Officers from following unlawful orders that might have gotten our Officers harrrrrmed."

"Next," said the Chief, "I will not tolerate the delay by the Board of Inquiry into the investigation of Commander Donald Troy any longer. Hell, the Board of Inquiry to award his dog a citation did not last this long, and it is clear they are stalling now. I am done with it. If the Board does not deliver its decision by noon tomorrow, I will unilaterally and fully reinstate Commander Troy to his duties as Police Commander at that time. Before you ask: yes, I have the legal authority to do that, and I am exercising it. I will take no questions. That is all." And despite the furious volley of questions hurled at him by the rabid, out-of-control Press, he left the room without saying another word.

The Police Captain's Union issued a statement ten minutes later in strong support of Chief Moynahan and Commander Troy. Asked for a response, the Sheriff's Office only stated 'no comment'...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Friday, August 25th. At 10:00am, the Board of Inquiry convened to deliver its findings concerning the Commander Troy incident, and it was carried live by KXTC and KSTD. The lead Commissioner read the statement:

"We usually just give our results without much further comment," said the lead Commissioner, "but in this case we have to note that this is a 2-1 decision with a very strong dissent, which is included in or published report. Also, this Board does not appreciate being pressured by threats from the Police Chief to circumvent our well-established process of investigation and deliberation of the evidence of that investigation.

"Having said that: in the overall, while we find that Commander Troy's action bordered upon excessive use of force, the overall finding is that he did not have any other choice, that the lives of other persons were in existential danger, that University property was in existential danger, and we therefore find that Commander Troy's actions were proper and that this was a 'good shoot'."

A huge cheer erupted in MCD at the words, which was matched by similar cheers at The Old Mill and at County Jail. Cindy and Teresa both bowed their heads in relief, then looked at each other, their faces inscrutable to each other.

Bettina came on camera on KXTC: "As you just heard, Commander Donald Troy has been exonerated in the shooting death of a protester on the University Campus. The Board of Inquiry has found that his actions were proper, and their written report goes further in saying that Commander Troy had no reasonable alternative to the actions he took. The report also excoriates the TCPD for their very slow response to the situation, even after Commander Troy called multiple times for assistance."

"In the dissent, one Commissioner stated that he thought Commander Troy's excessive use of force bordered on 'a crime', and that he should've considered reasonable alternative to taking such violent and forceful actions. He further stated that the danger posed by the 'peaceful' protesters was badly overstated, and that the Police should have stood down..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

*BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!* *BLAM!*

The echo of the shots had barely faded away as I cleared my weapon and set it down on the bench. The targets were flying towards me on the pulley-and-wire driven holders. Even from a distance, it was clear I'd passed both left- and right-handed.

"Welcome back, Commander." said the Chief as the Armorer certified my re-qualification.

"Thank you, Chief." I said. "And thanks for taking up for me and lighting a fire under the Board's collective ass."

"Heh heh heh heh." barked the Chief. "If there's one thing I learned in the Cavalry, it was how to light fires under some asses." The Armorer barked a laugh at that one.

We went back upstairs and down the hall. As I got to the door of MCD, I felt my arm being grabbed and I was pulled into the large room, which erupted into cheers.

"For he's a jolly good fellow, for he's a jolly good fellow; for he's a jolly good fellllllowwwwww, which nobody can deny!" a lot of Police Officers sang, and sang very poorly, I might add. Still, it was nice to be welcomed back.

How they'd gotten a red devil cake with white cream cheese frosting so quickly, I am not sure, but they had one. And as pieces were being served, Cindy rang a glass with a spoon... but Teresa did the talking.

"Okay, everyone," Teresa said, "if anyone wanted to know what it's like without Commander Troy here, we just spent one week of pure hell finding out." Acclaim and laughter rang out. "And the best news is that I get to return this to its rightful owner."

With that, she offered me the red crowbar as if it were a katana. I respectfully took it into my hands.

"It's good to be back." I said, tapping the crowbar in my hand. "Nothing like a week of forced vacation to find out how good you are without me. And I'm happy to say that you all did very well in my absence, and I'm very proud of you all. Captain Croyle, please relay those sentiments to all of the Officers of the Police Force." There was polite applause.

Then I said "Okay, that cake looks good. Where is my slice?..."

Part 20 - The Trial

Tuesday, September 5th. What the Press was calling the trial of the century, Town & County v. Peter Dwayne Gordon began at 9:00am in the Old Courthouse, which was by far the largest Courtroom in the complex. The chamber was as full as it could get with reporters and other spectators, some wearing red shirts with a logo of a pennant flag.

Over 90 persons were pooled for Jury selection, and it looked for a while like it might not be enough. As Peter Gordon sat at the Defense table in his suit, looking part scared, part stupefied, and part curious, his attorney Mike G. Todd was working hard to get female jurors dismissed for cause, so that he would not have to use his strikes more than he wanted. Likewise, Jenna Stiles was doing the same for males, particularly white males.

Judge Patrick R. Folsom began to make it clear that he was in charge of his Courtroom and this trial. He made the lawyers work until 8:00pm, by which time a Jury of 12 citizens and six alternates had been seated. They were sequestered at the University Hotel.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" shouted the redheaded reporterette from in front of the Courthouse at 7:00am, Wednesday, September 6th. "The Jury for the trial of Peter Dwayne Gordon has been selected, and opening arguments will get underway at 9:00am. Legal experts believe that the trial won't last more than a few days, as the Prosecution's case appears to be very strong."

Bettina went on: "Fox Two News has learned that the Prosecution has attempted to get several affidavits thrown out, and the Officers making those affidavits prevented from testifying to the condition of victim Kendra Luskin's dress. There is confusion as to whether or not her dress was torn during the alleged sexual assault."

More Bettina: "And in State news, Fox Two News has learned that a hearing before the State Supreme Court was postponed by Lt. Governor Graham Collins. The Lt. Governor's Office has not commented on the nature of the hearing, but sources tell Fox Two News that the hearing was to clear the way to convene the Legislature to impeach Governor Val Jared. No reason was given for the postponement."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"They postponed the Supreme Court hearing," growled Chief Griswold, "because the Iron Crowbar was reinstated earlier than they expected." The old Chief had brought doughnuts to MCD, and was partaking of a few of them himself.

"I don't doubt you're correct on that, Chief." I said. I was wearing my semi-formal jacket with ribbons, and the Medal of Valor with Oak Leaf Cluster around my neck. Cindy was similarly attired, and her Medal of Valor was around her neck. We were going to be called to the stand either today or tomorrow.

"Wowwww..." said Jermaine Davis, catching on. "Sir, this whole thing to get you on suspension, was just to get you out of the way so they could go after the Governor?"

"Very astute of you, Mr. Davis." I said. "That is Iron Crowbar thinking, there. Here, hold this." I handed him the red crowbar. "Take care of it today. I can't have it with me while I'm in the Courtroom. The temptation to use it might be too much for me." Everyone laughed, partly politely at my joke, and partly at Jerome's google-eyed look of shock at getting to keep the crowbar for the day.

Some time later, as Cindy and I were about to leave for the Courthouse, I saw Della Harlow coming down the hall; she was also subpoenaed to be a witness in Court. I could not resist:

"Captain Croyle!" I said very loudly, "you are 'Acting Commander' and in charge until I get back!"

"Yes sir!" replied Teresa, having seen Della and knowing what I was doing. Sergeant Rudistan did not succeed in suppressing laughter, especially at Harlow's look of fury.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Please state your name and occupation." said Jenna Stiles after I was sworn in.

"James Donald Troy. Police Commander." I replied.

Jenna had few questions for me. She had not even wanted to call me to the stand, but D.A. Krasney had told her the optics would be bad if the Defense called me and the Prosecution didn't. Then she stated the words that Mike G. Todd could barely wait to hear: "Your witness."

"Your Honor," started Mike, "I'd like to read Commander Troy's outstanding Police record to the Jury."

"Objection!" shouted Jenna. "His name and occupation is sufficient!"

"Your Honor," said Mike, "this is to establish the Commander as an expert witness, and also to show his level of unimpeachable integrity." Jenna rolled her eyes at that one.

"I've always taken the Prosecution's side when they establish the Commander's bona fides this way." said Judge Folsom. "It's only fair that the Defense be allowed to in this case. Objection overruled. You may proceed, Counselor."

"Thank you, Your Honor." said Mike. He read my record to the Jury, ending with "... the Distinguished Service Medal, two Purple Orders for being wounded in the line of duty, and the only Public Servant in Town or County history to be awarded two Medals of Valor..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So, Commander," said Mike G. Todd as he worked through the case with me, "you observed at the Hospital that Ms. Luskin's dress was not torn?" The dress had been admitted into evidence earlier in the day, along with other forensic evidence.

"That is correct." I said.

"Your Honor," said Todd, "I'd like to enter these affidavits into the record, showing that several other Officers also observed the dress as not being torn."

"Objection!" shouted Stiles.

"Overruled!" growled Folsom. "I've already ruled that these affidavits may be entered into the record."

"Commander Troy," said Mike G. Todd, "in investigating crimes, not only rape crimes, but really almost any crime, do you investigate the victim and the victim's family?"

"We make routine checks of their basic data." I said.

"What information do you check?" asked Todd.

"Objection as to form!" said Jenna.

"Sustained." said Folsom. "Restate the question more specifically, Mr. Todd."

"Yes, Your Honor." said Mike. "Commander, in nearly all cases, do you gather Police records of the victim as well as the suspect?"

"Yes." I said, knowing Mike couldn't 'lead the witness', but had to spoon-feed this to the Jury.

"And you check on who reported the crime as well, do you not?"