Family Secrets

Story Info
A man is forced to look back at a marriage lost.
13.1k words
4.62
163.1k
372
175
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was sitting at my office desk enjoying a midmorning coffee, my executive administrative research assistant had brought me. She had put artificial sugar in it. As a result, I was threatening to drink tea instead because I liked my tea black. I was reflecting on ways I could proceed on an ongoing copyright matter that I need resolved yesterday. The problem was that I was waiting for the federal government to approve the release of what they considered sensitive material. Like always they were moving a snail's pace.

It must be hard accomplishing anything when you're constantly constipated from the crap you create. Dealing with fed employee's meant incompetence to the extreme. No one would decide or take direct responsibility without a direct order. It made me wonder how many people a letter went through before it was dealt with. I needed the damn classified information released. Until it was done, I was sitting on my thumbs unable to move totally on to the next project. I had backed up my mouth with my pocketbook and would be stuck for the cost if the items ready to go had to be destroyed.

Since the onset of the liberal hysteria over everything and anything, the simplest of things had become complicated.

The term 'a secretary for one' almost no longer existed. It was almost reaching the point where titles like Mr. or Mrs. were about to become Its. I just thought I was getting to old for this shit.

"There is a young lady here to see you." Jackie Stoddard said as she entered through my office door. "She would not give me her name but gave me this picture for you to look at."

As I looked at the picture, my face filled with dread. Son of a bitch I thought, why now. It was of Sharron my ex and me. She was in her wedding dress; it had been taken over eighteen years ago. It was a part of my life that had taken me a lot of time to put behind me. Looking at the picture brought back the pain, the betrayal and the tears. Those down here who knew me back then had assumed I had come back to lick my wounds. In that part they'd been right. At that time of life, I did not understand money or power. How it was used for advantage. I had been naïve, but no more; time had changed me.

"Ask her if her name is either Susan or Saundra Press?" I replied as I took a file stick in a zipped locked bag out of a drawer, handing it to her. "If it is! Use your computer to show her the video that is on this. If she requests a copy give her everything on the stick and return the original one to me. When she is gone, come back. At that time, I will answer any questions you may have."

At forty-two I had gracefully accepted the bachelor life. My short two year marriage to Sharron Grace McCormick had soured me forever. As a result, I was unable to blindly trust people I didn't know. People now had to earn my trust and that was very hard to do. Being six foot four with a thirty-eight inch waist, I carried my two hundred pounds well. After sitting at the office desk all day, I would normally spend two hours at the local gym working out. My brownish black hair was just beginning to show a touch of gray. I could still turn a female's head. As a result, I had a couple of friends with benefits. Marriage and love were not for me.

About an hour later, Jackie came back into my office, leaving the door open to return the stick, explaining that the young lady in question still had a lot of questions that needed to be answered. She took a chair sitting down. Jackie, when she got her serious face on, became determined. She would not leave until she got her answers. Looking at me directly with her emerald eyes she waited for me to speak.

"Which one was it do you know?" I asked.

"Saundra" she replied. "Who is she and why was she so surprised at what she heard and saw? When she heard the woman's voice and threats, she broke out in tears, saying 'for all our lives, we have been lied to'. If what I feel in my heart is true, he was lied to as well."

"She is one half of a set of identical twins. The clip you both watched was her mother's last words to me in a private meeting. It was held in the courthouse before our first divorce court hearing. That was almost seven months before they were born. I learned about them through friends, years later. I was not informed by her that she was pregnant. The rest of the items on that stick are details of what would happen if I ever made contact. Her father at that time was employed by the CIA," I replied. "He caused me to be fired from the FBI because of his hate for me and with trumped up charges. The documents on that file imply that there might be a contract on my life. It would go into effect if I interfered with any of them. It has always been a threat I took seriously. Her father was a dangerous, powerful man who always got his way regardless of the cost. She divorced me so she could marry my former best friend. They had been having an affair for at least three months by that time. As far as I know he is their natural father. So how did she find me and what does she want?"

"As Saundra explained it, she found that old picture in the attic of their home with the name Paul Earl Carlson written on the back. She did a google search, saw your picture and knew it was you. Then after further searching in the attic she found a copy of the original marriage certificate and the corresponding divorce. It was almost impossible to find," Jackie stated. "From Facebook she got the name of your hometown and did a web search for a listing. That brought her here. She's come all this way to find a bone marrow match for her twin sister because she believes her sister is running out of time."

"Why would she come here, I'm not their father. This doesn't make sense." I replied. "Her mother was sleeping with her father months before I knew. Sharron's father made sure of that. The law of averages alone makes it logical that he is their natural father. You heard her when she said that marrying me had been a big mistake because I came from the wrong side of the tracks. Her father and my former friend had made her finally see that fact."

"It appears that Saundra had suspicions. She privately convinced the doctors who were doing the bone marrow test to do a DNA test to resolve her questions. It appears that Mr. Press is not their biological father. What do you think of that?"

The look on my face must have said it all because Jackie's expression changed from seriousness to a big smile. I had tears forming in my eyes. If what Saundra was claiming was true it meant that everything my ex had told me so long ago had been lies. I had to wonder if there was a possibility that I was a Dad.

"I knew the moment I saw her that she was related to you." Jackie said as she stood up. "She has a certain look that makes that fact so perfectly clear. Are you ready for perhaps the biggest shock in years?"

"Jackie, send the information on the stick to my publishers. Let them know we want the information released in such a way that it can never be traced back. Tell them not to disclose my writing name because my life is maybe still at risk! Stress that I need it to be made public as quickly as possible. Then find someone who can do a DNA test fast and set up the appointment. If I am their father, I want the proof in hand when I go to confront their mother. If it's true, I need a litigation lawyer that's willing to fight for my parental rights. Clear the schedule. I will need to go to Susan's hospital ASAP. I said. "Now I've got to go to try to find Saundra."

"Saundra! It went as I said it would. Could you please come in and introduce yourself?" Jackie said.

Saundra walked in in all her glory. The moment I saw her, in my eyes, there was no doubt. Sandra at sixteen was inch by inch a younger version of my younger sister. I wanted to speak but I choked. I was in total shock. The genetics were visible to the naked eye. I started to cry. I guess Saundra saw it to because her own tears started to flow. We must have looked like a pair of fools. Jackie took a few shots with her cell to capture this life-changing moment. Jackie left us alone to our thoughts for a few. There are times in our lives where we don't know what to do or say. For Saundra and I this was one. When Jackie came back in, she brought us both back to reality.

"Saundra and you have an appointment for blood testing at one. They promise to do it on a rush. I charged it to the corporate card." Jackie said. "I also made arrangement for you to meet your sister, Barbara, at Contels at three and reserved a private table. Saundra needs to see what we do. I told Barbara to make sure she had coverage for when her younger children get off the school bus. She asked why? I explained that you had some very good family news you had to share that couldn't wait."

I stood there lost in an emotional state not knowing what to say while watching Saundra walking towards me. I had so many questions rushing through my mind. I automatically drew her into my arms, holding her tight as Jackie closed the door leaving us to our thoughts. It was hard for me to comprehend that I was a Dad. I had so many questions, yet I didn't know what to say.

I guess Saundra was experiencing the same thing. Her body felt like it was trembling.

----------

From the moment we left my office, Saundra and I kept it light. Trying simply to do everything just right. Taking baby steps as we tried to figure it out. After arranging at the clinic for copies of the report to be emailed to me, we headed out for a late lunch. I learned that Saundra had skipped school. Drove all day until exhaustion won before pulling off at a rest station to sleep. I felt furious that a girl so young would do something so stupid in this day in age but bit my tongue. I wondered if I was reacting just like an overprotective dad. It also crossed my mind that I would have done something like that at her age without giving it any thought. I noticed Barbs car as we pulled into Contels parking lot.

"I know we're here to meet your sister, but I have to wonder why Jackie set this up without talking to you first?" Saundra questioned.

"You're about to see what both Jackie and I did when we first met you." I replied. "It will explain to you why we seem to be acting like there is no doubt that Susan and you are definitely my daughters. It will also explain why I was shocked.

"When the test comes back positive can I call you dad?" Sandra said.

I laughed; with a big smile I replied. "I wouldn't have it any other way."

Contels was a family restaurant a little bit better than the Red Lobster chain, with a reputation that was beyond reproach. The owner and hostess led us towards our private booth as soon as she saw me. As we approached our table, I ordered a bottle of one of their bestselling medium champagnes and asked them if they could supply us a few extra tissue's. Barbara was sitting with her back toward us, so it gave me a brilliant idea. I asked Saundra if she could hold up for a bit as I approached our table.

"Hi Sis, thanks for meeting me." I said standing at the end of the booth.

Looking up, Barbara responded. "You look extremely happy, what's up?"

"Barbara please stand up, there's a young lady I want you to meet?" I said, as she stood up while Saundra approached. "This is Sharron's daughter, Saundra?"

Barbra turned around and looked. It was as if she was looking in a mirror that made her young. To onlookers they could be sisters. Both had long brunette hair, high cheeks, full, thick breasts and small ears that laid flat with a pear shape to their frames. Light blue eyes that sparkled, full ripe lips that begged to be kissed and a smile that could melt the coldest heart.

"Oh my God." Barb screamed in shock. "Damn you, Paul! You should have prepared me for this. It's unbelievable. I don't know what to say. How long have you known about your daughter?"

Saundra and Barbara just looked at each other, both holding the palm of their hands over their mouths adjusting to the ultimate surprise. They were both trying to hold in the tears.

"About five hours, Aunt Barbara." Saundra said emotionally. "I never suspected something like this. I sprung it on him when I showed up at his office. As soon as Jackie saw me, she had no doubts; neither did Dad, but seeing you I now understand why."

By the time the server came back with the hostess, they understood why I had asked for extra tissues and privacy. Barbara, between tears, explained that three more would be joining us so the hostess moved us to a large table further back.

Barbara called her husband and told him to book out of work for the rest of the afternoon and join us at Contels as soon as possible. I don't know what Lou said but Barb came down on him as if she was dropping a ton of bricks. She called our parents and got Mom. Barbara said it was a family emergency, to grab Dad and get here fast. Mom asked what was wrong. Barb said she couldn't explain. I was too busy crying. In truth we all were, in our own way.

I got a text from Jackie saying the publisher had released the information and it would break on the six o'clock news. We had just calmed down by the time we had finished our first glass of champagne. It was Saundra's first taste. I saw Barb's husband and my parents being escorted in. I had to laugh when I heard my dad say in his deep loud voice 'if there's not a big reason, I'm going to be kicking someone's ass.' I stood up to greet them; so, did Barbara.

"Mom, Dad and Lou I want to introduce you to meet Sharron's daughter, Saundra Press." Barbara said proudly.

My Mother saw it right away, just like we had. The biggest smile I have ever seen came across her face. I could see her pride growing. One look at Saundra had told her all she needed to know. She finally had the granddaughter she always wanted. My Dad was flabbergasted. I loved it because he finally did not know what to say.

Three generations of females carried the same frame and face. When he finally spoke, he said, 'I see it right before my eyes but I'm finding it hard to believe.' My Mother sat beside Saundra holding her hand tight. If Mom had her way, she would never let it go. I knew she was just too emotional to speak. My dad ordered two more bottles trying to hold in his glowing pride. After the server left. With our glasses refilled I stood up holding one in my hand I said, 'I guess I need to explain.' Saundra took my cell phone and started to video it all. I disclosed how we had met and what had transpired so far during the day.

My Dad stood up and spoke. "Saundra, we don't have to wait for the DNA tests to tell us what we already know is

real. As the head of the family, welcome to your father's family's home. Just so you know you have two other aunts with families that you will soon meet. Promise us that no matter where you roam you will always consider this side of your

family your second home."

Sandra handed me my cell and I recorded her as she spoke. "I came down here on a mission searching for the truth

not knowing what I would find. This day has totally blown my mind. The truth now revealed has forever changed Dad's and my life. Neither one of us knew. I wasn't sure till I met Aunt Barb. I don't think I ever understood what unconditional love was until today. I'm sure when you meet my identical twin sister Susan, she will experience it to."

I scanned the table as everyone lost it. Even my father who thought it was unmanly to cry lost it. I could see the tears flowing from his eyes. So much for his stiff upper lip. Mom holding two fingers up cried even louder. I caught the whole table sharing their joyful tears before I stopped video recording setting my phone down.

Sandra picked up the phone adding her and her sister's info into my contacts. Saundra began texting her sister letting her know what she had found before attaching the video to it. Showing it to me, it read, 'What we thought was possible is true. Sending video. Getting blood test to confirm. Using our bio Dad's cell.' I added, 'watch the six o'clock national news.' Then sent it.

"You're a twin?" my mother asked if she was still in disbelief.

Sandra opened her purse and turned her cell phone on to show her new grandmother a bunch of photos of Susan and her together. My mother of course demanded copies be sent to her laptop right away. As soon as she got them, she brought them up on the full screen showing them to all. Saundra turned off her phone before putting back in her purse.

That was when I understood that no one she knew had any idea where she was. My phone began ringing; I checked the screen; it was Susan. I stood up and walked away. My dad knew something was up when he saw me tear up. He looked at me with questioning eyes. Sandra mouthed, 'it's my sister,' my dad nodded and moved on as I answered it.

"Hi! This is Susan; after seeing the video I just had to call." She said. "Mom won't be here till at least seven because she's stopping at the police station hoping for a positive update on Saundra. I'm still playing dumb. They were here earlier to find out what I knew. One of them left me their card. Any idea's what I should do?"

"Get him to watch the six o'clock news. Make it clear he must pay attention to what is revealed about me. Once he has done that, tell him you will talk with him. When your mother and father are not present. Be sure to tell him the whole truth. Show him the video clip. You can give him my number so he can contact me. Tell him to send a text identifying himself first before he calls. When he watches the news he will understand why? I replied. "Once we have the DNA proof in our hands, I can tell you that Saundra and I won't be coming alone; we might be bringing the whole tribe."

"What do you mean?" Susan asked

.

"When I explain to the table that Saundra did this to try to help you. The word will spread amongst the family like leaves blowing in the wind. I don't know how many will come but those who can, will." I explained.

"Why" She said.

"Your family." I stated. "For the Patterson family, although its old world, blood is always thicker than water. If I am not a good enough match someone else may be."

"Just that easy?" Susan said with doubt.

"No doubt on my end, but you will have to see to believe." I said with a chuckle. "after all we are strangers."

We talked for a few minutes before I said goodbye and she replied in sobs of relief.

.

After ordering our dinners, I explained to the family why Saundra had come into my life today. Immediately the cell phones got overworked. They called a few people explaining what was going on and told them to pass the word. We needed as many as we could get to go in hope to find a match. My mother became the organizer of what was being planned.

"Saundra." my father asked. "How did you get down here?"

"I drove my old 1994 voyager van. It's one step up from rent a wreck." she laughed. "It's sitting in Dad's parking lot."

"Son get that piece of junk to my dealership in the morning. There is no way I could ever let my granddaughter drive back in that. It's a miracle she made it here." My dad said firmly. "I have to admit that at her age you had about as much common sense as she does. She acted like a bull in a china shop; nothing was going to get in her way."

"Okay, so what do you plan to give her? "I asked.

"She can pick one out for herself." he replied with a wink and a smile.

"If I could have my choice it would be some kind of 4by4 because of my love of the outdoors." Saundra replied.

My dad responded with a big grin because we all were lovers of the outdoors. If the weather allowed, we were either out in the boats, fishing, camping or hunting. Then off he went, describing the summer I learned to water ski in bare feet. When he got to telling his tall tales, it was like he was holding court; and he had many.