Far Pangaea 74 : Frontier Justice

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,874 Followers

"Something to consider."

"Does your Lion have a name?"

"Chokote calls him Manitou. Means Evil Spirit. I ain't evil and I make him so it's just a name. Suits him."

"I like that name. Rolls off the tongue good." She smiles, "My horse is named Quiver. You got a horse?"

"Did. Had to eat him. Survival is a bitch out here. Lame leg from a fall. Had to make the choice."

"That's sad. Sorry to hear that. You're not eating Quiver."

"Didn't plan on it. No horse thief neither. Comes with the tin star."

"Marshal. I'm impressed. We both know I'm not gettin' any sleep tonight. Want some coffee? I think I got just enough for one cup. In my saddlebag. I can unpack it."

"Ain't had coffee in a spell. Not becomin' to accept the last of it."

"What are friends for Marshal? We are friends right?"

"I'd like that Ma'am."

"Greta. Ma'am is my Momma."

"Start brewin' Miss Greta."

"Gimme at least a swig." She winks at him.

It would be a long night. But, the fire kept them warm. Their banter entertained. Hearing the violin stop made Lionel look over his shoulder, "Gypsy went to sleep." Another glance toward Greta found her asleep as well. He puckered at her now visible form. In her slumber she had lost control and reverted herself to normal. Respectfully, Lionel Warjorj removed his coat and covered her up. Chokote up on the opposing ridge from Manitou and Bogart sat mumbling in his native language. A chant he learned from his Grandfather. It was soothing. It also seemed to calm Bogart.

As the sun rose Lionel nudged Greta awake. Reviving slowly she realized he had cloaked her in her slumber and smiled sheepishly.

"Look at you all Gentleman like. Thank ya, Lionel. Helped earn my trust for sure."

"My Pappy taught me manners day one. Ready to meet the others?"

"Sure."

Whistling loudly brought Chokote down from his ridge. Landing in a rustle of sand and fallen rocks. Joining them as both stood up. An introduction forthcoming led to a language barrier. Greta didn't speak Comanche.

"Chokote says your hair is like fire. From a fella that creates fire from his hands that's something."

"Tell him Thanks. I think. For keeping me warm last night."

A swift reply of versed native tongue Chokote smiles then points up toward the opposite ridge. Slumbering lay a very short man. Still quite hairy but nothing resembling any wolf. A tossed rock struck the man making him jump to awareness.

"Rise and shine Hairball." Lionel growled.

"Did I hurt anyone?"

"Not this time. Come on down. Someone I want you to meet."

The bald man with hair everywhere else grumbles at his nudity. Especially after his eyes caught a glimpse of the beautiful Cowgirl from Kansas. Holding his private parts concealed he stumbles down the rocky incline until he reaches the ground. Awkwardly he marches over to them. Lionel looks at the man with a chuckle, "Don't ask to borrow my coat. I ain't that Gentlemanly."

"Gee thanks. Invite me to greet a guest when a guys down on his luck."

"Greta Winston? This here is Bogart Ross. And, while we're at it you're always down on yer luck."

"Ha! Down on my luck. Because I'm a midget strongman. You're a riot Warjorj. Nice to meet you Greta. Glad I didn't hurt you none. You can call me Bogg. That's my stage name. Circus and all."

"Pleasure Bogg. I might shake your hand but I'm thinkin' you need them. Not hidin' much as it is."

"Freak show like I said." Lionel grins.

"Hey! I can't help what God gave me."

"Biggest part of ya." The Marshal had to add.

"No sense in hidin' what can't be hidden right?" Bogg lifts his hands away. Greta forced to look away blushing.

"Give him my coat." Lionel rolls his eyes as Greta holds the trench at arms length, "Gonna have Chokote burn that coat after yer done wearin' it."

"Little too large. I'll pass. Keep the coat Cowboy." Bogg opts for au natural.

"Let's get back to the others." Lionel encourages reclaiming his coat. Greta gathering her things and telling Quiver good morning by turning him visible once again. The men admiring the horse but none appear threatening. She was glad.

"Where did Manitou go?" She looks up on the ridge.

"Spirit world." Chokote expels in his language as repeated by Lionel in English.

"Wishin' I had my translator collar. I should have grabbed it. Too much goin' on. Before we go I need to ask. Any of ya'll seen a herd of invisible cows?"

Lionel chuckles, "Funny you should mention that."

Her eyes flare wide then she found herself swallowing, "Tell me you didn't eat my cows."

"Nope. Found a calf and its Momma. Will say we been enjoying a days worth of milk since we found 'em."

"THANK YA'LL!" She bursts out smiling, "There's more. Just can't see them. Your eyes?"

"My eyes." He winks. Lionel was a charmer.

"Maybe I can use your eyes to help me find the others?"

"I'll see what I can do."

"See! Ha!" Bogg laughs walking away. Greta couldn't help but look . Hairiest butt she had ever seen.

Mounting Quiver she followed the group through the ridges and back out into the open desert. It didn't take long to reach what made Greta's jaw drop. There was certainly more to this caravan than she predicted. There were four covered wagons. And, of all things something she had never seen before. A German made Panzer Tank. That was what created the strange tracks. They too had multiple horses. One a Clydesdale. He was beautiful.

People filtered about preparing for travel. A tall lanky man stood beside a frumpy looking Gypsy. She was the easiest to figure out. Beside her was a young girl fawning over..."Betsy." Greta darts Quiver into a faster trot past the others and hops off of her horse to greet her calf. Somehow the invisibility had worn off both calf and Mother. The young girl shyly steps away from this woman she didn't know. Pausing before darting to the hip of Gypsibah. The middle aged woman smirking as the girl hid behind her long skirt.

Checking both cows out for health she finds them perfectly normal. Once satisfied Greta stands and looks toward the young girl. With a warm presence Greta Winston clears her throat, "Do I have you to thank for taking care of my babies here?"

Gypsibah encourages the girl forward yet holds her in front of her for security, "Abigail is shy. Forgive her."

"Abigail sure is a pretty name. Hi there. My name's Greta. It looked like you and Betsy made good friends. Any friend of hers is a friend of mine."

"Greetings Greta. I am Gypsibah. You know my man Bogart. I pray he caused you no harm."

"Nope. Ole Lionel kept me safe. I reckon I should say I'm sorry for your mans predicament. Can't be easy on none of ya'll."

Bogart returns wearing pants with suspenders over his bare chest. Joining Gypsibah and the taller man.

"Can't help myself when I go all wolf. Family curse. Even in this God forsaken place. I tried to keep my infliction a secret but luckily the good folks here understood me. 1901 is the year I come from. Joined a European Circus as the midget strongman. Far as I know I'm the only midget werewolf there ever was. Lucky me, huh."

Greta hides her temptation to laugh with her arm feigning a cough. They all shared her humorous reaction regardless. Even Bogart Ross. Faint chuckles led to Lionel speaking up.

"Taller Gent is Franz. No make-up on him but he's the resident Clown. Came along with Bogart and Gypsibah."

"Is Abigail your daughter?" Greta attempted to figure things out.

"Nope. Abigail is all alone." Lionel explained, "Her Momma was killed by big Lizard. Abigail got away. Hid inside one of these here boats strung across the desert. Lizard gave up on her. Lucky we were close by to witness it. I used Manitou to bait the lizard away. Can't kill what ain't really there. Daytime worked to our advantage. Lizard was just like you. It could ghost out on us. My eyes kept tabs on it."

"It sounds like the...what did Jack call it? A...Komodo dragon. We killed it a few weeks back. Tough critter. There was two more of them. Killed another one that could stretch out like taffy. The other one got away. Didn't seem to into us. Like it just wanted to be free. That one spit fire like a real dragon from King Arthur."

"There are many such creatures out here." Gypsibah concurs holding Abigail's ears to keep her words from frightening her, "The one you speak of seems to be following us. Never getting too close."

"Keepin' a close watch. Chokote got into it with that critter. Spit up on his hands. We're thinkin' that's how he got the use of fire."

"Makes sense. That big one we killed exhaled goo all over me. I inhaled it. It's how I can turn all see through. Invisible as James calls it." Greta nods looking about, "What's that there?"

Franz takes immediate interest, "That would be mine. I am from Germany. This tank belonged to the German Army. 1943 is when I was lost here. I was a Tank mechanic. Clown in my spare time. For the children. I saw very little war."

"One ugly beast you got there." She winces.

"It is a construct of beauty. The Fatherland produced nothing but the best."

"Gotcha." She fidgets, "I learned a few things about horses from Cameron. How is that what'cha call it Pansy runnin' without petrol?"

"That's his ability. Lucky for us. Long as we don't drink up all our water an eat all our food ole' Franz there can somehow refill and grow things just by wavin' his hand over it."

"That is how we survive out here in the desert." Bogart adds.

"Indeed." Franz smiles lifting a tin flask, "Would you like a bit of Schnapps?"

"Never heard of it. Think I'll pass. Water for me and Quiver I'll take if yer offerin'."

Lionel steps closer and pats Quiver on the neck, reaching under his neck to retrieve the bridle. A careful tug he leads the horse toward a wooden trough. Franz had filled it for their own horses. A tub of oats allowed Quiver to eat. Greta was impressed. She and the others followed along.

"Some fancy ability you got there Franz. Folks here must love ya."

"Rather have whiskey. That Schnapps piss gives me the back door trots." Lionel chuckles.

"Back where I live we found cases of Tequila. Yer welcome to come back with me and meet my family. Plenty to share in. Good people. Better to live in numbers out here. Safer don'tcha think?"

"Somethin' to consider." Lionel looks toward his travelling companions.

"I mean there's only six? Eight of ya. Right?" She spots a few adults hanging back to pack up, "Weird powers or not those kind of odds go slim in bad situations. Life is precious." Greta's valiant speech turns to young Abigail, "That little girl deserves a chance to grow up. While she could reach that goal with Ya'll look where we live nowadays. Around every gap could be some big lizard or worse. Trust me good people I've seen worse. In my case I've got friends from the far future that know more than I do. More than Ya'll do. I'm from 1873. Most of my friends hail from the year 2019. The place we live in ain't even from our world. It's from up there." She points to the sky.

"That there air ship we saw flyin' is from up there?" Lionel fidgets looking up at the sky, his strange eyes flaring around their corneas until he has to lower his hat to shade them. "Right. You mentioned seein' other air ships like that. Most likely all of 'em came from the stars. From planets beyond the sky. My friends knew aliens. Trust me in my short time here I've seen enough to know we surely ain't alone in this big ole universe. God has friends."

"Indeed. As I have tried to explain to you, " Franz opens up, "The Führer knew of such things. Strange men that looked like albino giants. Bigger than Herr Lionel. Even little grey men that looked like ants but larger. They helped Mein Führer to win the war against..." He hesitates to say more due to Lionel being American. Greta as well.

"I don't think yer Buddy won no war Franz. Ain't nobody I know speakin' German. Only you so far." Greta finishes his sentence.

"Impossible. Adolf Hitler was a great Leader. Wiping out all--" Again he hesitates knowing Gypsibah's ancestry might conflict with those that the Nazi's attempted to exterminate. He over his time with them found them to be very caring people. He too was a caring man. Merely divided in his beliefs.

"Settle down Clown." Lionel prompted a chuckle from Greta. He meant to amuse her. The lady was certainly attractive. Her fire caught his eye the first time they spoke. As he recalled her fiery attitude Chokote pointed out a dust cloud beyond the ridge next to their camp. As all turn to witness it Lionel conjures up his Lion Manitou to investigate. In the daylight the male Lion looked majestic and normal. If not only an illusion. Mirage or not Lionel could see through the big cat's eyes. What he spotted made him active. "Everybody get into hidin'. We got company. Big company."

Greta races to Quiver and scurries up on to his saddle. Prepared to dart out and run interference if need be. Possibly using her invisibility to disorient whatever it was. As she did she was joined by Chokote hopping up behind her on Quiver. Bow and arrows in his grasp. The move startled Greta.

"Don't spook a gal like that."

His native language escapes her but wagging eye brows usually meant flirtation. Growling under her breath she heels Quiver into a run up the ridge side away from the dust. After a strain on Quiver's part they reach the hill top. Looking out at the oncoming.

"That Fire Komodo is moving in." She points out then notices something strange, "Is it my imagination or does it look like that big ole Lizard is using fire to push somethin' toward us? It's spitting flame from side to side. Kinda like havin' a dog on a cattle drive to keep--well I'll be...I think that critter is herdin' my missing cows toward us."

The Comanche nods and hops down from Quiver and cautiously moves toward the event. Bow slung over his shoulder he clasps his hands together and conceives fire. Almost as if getting the Lizard's attention. It was then that Greta noticed something remarkable.

"Baby Komodos." Six small puppy sized dragons were prowling alongside the Mother. Greta thought back at the nest beneath a boat where they had battled the Big Daddy Komodo. The eggs were all crushed. She must have had children hidden away elsewhere. Smart gal Greta smiled.

At the opening between ridges Lionel and his group prepared for battle when the calf Betsy darted out into the open. Trotting toward the oncoming traffic. Lionel looks to Bogart and both men lower their rifles. It was in their lapse of judgment that young Abigail bolted after the calf. Halting it with a tight hug.

From the ridge Greta's heart melted at the sight. Terrified still that the serpent might be corralling the cattle in for the kill. In a mad whirl she forced Quiver down the embankment and raced over to hold her ground in front of the Komodo. Feeling her cows gather around her she hoped down from Quiver and one by one reached out to turn them visible. Counting as she did. They were all there. Amazed she looks up at the Komodo who halted in its tracks. The babies huddling close to her.

Chokote with his hands ablaze journeys to Greta's side for protection. Momma Dragon decides then to lay down and relax. Chokote looks at Greta with a shrug. They were unprepared for such a scene. It was as if the Komodo wanted peace. Not dinner.

"Ain't this a hoot." Greta swallows dryly moving to Abigail, "Sweetie? Why don't you take Betsy back over to your friends." Before she even reacts one of the babies darts toward them and looks up with a shrill screeching noise just before producing a puff of smoke from its lungs. In an attempt to mimic its Mother's fire breathing ability. It was darling. Abigail began laughing.

"I'll call you Puff."

Greta kicks up an eye brow at her desire to claim it as a pet, "Don't get too attached Darlin'. Its Momma might have somethin' to say about that."

In the safety of Greta, Chokote with hands still flickering with flames takes a huge risk. He approaches the Mother. Carefully. Eyes watch him with a tired gaze. With a huff the Mother curls up and lets her other babies crawl on her. It was truly a remarkable sight. She allowed Chokote within ten feet of her before whipping her tail to create rustle of dirt. It was his sign to halt and stand still. Looking her over he notes wounds on her underside. Bleeding yet sealing just as fast as if cauterizing and reopening. Something big had obviously attacked her. She was seeking refuge. Expelling a chant in his native tongue brought Lionel closer to Greta. He felt it was safe enough. Bogart and another man he called Stefan guided the cows into their camp.

"Chokote is offerin' up a healin' prayer. The Mother's wounded." Lionel points out toward the Lizards left side at his Lion manifestation which allowed him a better view, "Could be dyin'."

"Why would she herd my cows toward us and not eat them?"

"Dunno Miss Greta. Crazy things in this here place we got no choice but to call home."

"We have to save her. She has babies. There's somethin' about her. She helped me and my friends against the Big Komodo. It's like she's smarter than most. On maybe even a human level."

"Anythin' is possible. Not much we can do for her though. Purdy obvious she won't let us get too close. Not even Chokote. She senses his fire is her fire. Doubt you and me can get closer than he is."

"What was big enough to hurt her? Another Komodo out there?"

"Could be. Reckon we won't know unless it comes a callin'." Lionel grimaces.

"That would be bad. Another good reason Ya'll should come home with me. At least there my friends can help handle whatever did this to her. Maybe even save her from dyin'."

"I need ya to understand I gotta look out for my own clan here. Not that I don't wanna trust ya Miss Greta, I just met ya."

"I do understand that Lionel. I just wanna keep ya'll safe." She grows a bit emotional. Seeing her eyes well up slightly gives him a reason to sulk and look away toward Chokote.

"We do this then. Only thing is, will Momma over there have enough strength to make the trip? Lookin' at Deaths Door right now."

A series of loud thumps shake the ground at their feet. Startled Greta falls into Lionel's arms meeting face to face. Both of them swallow hard at their sudden attachment. Another thump makes the Momma Komodo rear its head and look toward the highest ridge. None of them could see over it. Chokote's chant ceases as he himself looks toward the rumbling.

"You just had to say Deaths Door didn't ya?" Greta huffs at Lionel. His desire for Greta forced back as she pushes away from him to grab Quiver and her Winchester from its saddle sheath. The commotion led to the cows mooing loudly. The folks of the Caravan yelling to get ready for battle. Lionel wills Manitou to investigate. No sooner than his manifestation spots the cause Lionel's eyes grow large.

"That critter is big. I do mean BIG. Get to some cover I'll have Manitou try and coax it away."

"Another Komodo?" She frets.

"Looks different. Got feathers on it like a bird but looks all lizard like. On its hind feet walking like a man."

Greta had hoped it might just be Gaicazar on Adam looking for her until Lionel mentioned feathers. Gritting her teeth she hopped up on Quiver and did what she was best at. Drawing attention away. Going invisible she rode up on to the ridge to see for herself. Stopping at the top Quiver rears up in a panic. She held on for dear life as a mere fifty yards away towered the meanest looking dinosaur she had ever seen. The creature was bigger than the T-Rex. 40 feet in length. An easy five tons in body mass. It's face shrouded in red markings like hard opened muscle tissue. A dull yellow like array of feathers covered most of its body. Less talons than Adam had yet razor sharp and black. Eyes of Satan for sure.

SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,874 Followers