Far Pangaea 87 : Phantom Limb

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers

"I can arrange that if you help us. Instead of a sacrifice."

"No. A sacrifice must be offered. Life for a life."

"How?" Maddy would cry if not in her ghostly form, "How could you be so cold?"

"It is the way. I know no differently. Forgive my decision but I must abide by it. I have never felt the soil of this world. I would very much like to."

"I can bring you soil."

"No. I would leave this confinement forever."

"Briar? Please. Malcolm does not have much time."

A waterfall of chlorophyll leaks from the base of the tree next to Maddy. Eying it Madigan watches as the fluid rises and forms into the body of a young girl. Liquid still but maturing features. In shape alone she stands there shyly. As if pleading to Madigan for her own release. Life for a life.

"This is what you look like?"

"Yes. I am a sapling still. I wish to help you Madigan. You are dead. I sense that now." "Yes. I died when we first crash landed here in Pangaea. Somehow my ghost lives on. I can transform between life and death." Madigan takes the risk floating beyond the sticky floor before turning to her flesh and blood form. Briar claps her hands in the sound of liquid splashing together.

"You are beautiful Madigan. I wish to be as beautiful as you."

"Thanks. I don't know how to help you reach that goal."

"Your true body is in the Earth?"

"Yes. I really don't understand how I can be in two places at once. My spirit resides in my grave until I trade places with it. This suit I wear is called Life Fiber it bonds with my real body allowing me to maintain it. I wish I could offer you more information but none of us know exactly why my body is...well alive and dead both."

"Your true body has felt the Earth. Bring it to me. Sacrifice your body that I may inhabit it. In return I will grow many apples."

"WHAT?" Maddy swallows dryly before turning ghostly once more. She felt safer this way. Hesitating she ponders her situation. Malcolm might not last another hour let alone a day. She had to make a hard choice very soon, "Can't you just claim my real body when I switch?"

"No. It must be fresh with the nutrients of this world. I am sorry to be a burden. I cannot bear to live here any longer. Grant me a host. I will honor your sacrifice. Of this I swear."

With a grim expression Maddy makes a rash decision, "Grow the apples. I'll return with it shortly. I'm dead anyway. What does it matter where my corpse lies."

"They shall be ripe and ready to pluck from the vine. We will save your friend. I swear it."

"I..." Maddy falls silent. There was no other choice. Whisking away she passes through the doorway scaring Ruby into jumping back. Without any communication Madigan rises through the floors and out into the daylight.

"Where are you going?" Ruby was left dumbfounded. Alone in the shadows she feels a sense of dread.

Reaching the grounds between ships she looks around her for help. Seeing Greta and Gaicazar snuggling near a cargo container Maddy turns normal dropping to the ground. Racing to their side she grabs the Roman by the hand, "Hurry Gaicazar. I need your help. We cannot wait much longer."

"How may I assist thee Friend Madigan?"

"What's got you so riled Maddy?" Greta jumps at her sudden appearance, "Is Malcolm...?"

"Alive. I think. I don't know. I hope so. Follow me Antonaeus. Find a shovel."

"Why we need a shovel?" Greta walks rapidly beside them.

"We are digging up my body."

"We're what?"

Maddy goes ghost and floats away. Reaching her burial plot she lingers aloft with an expression of despair. As Gaicazar procures a shovel and starts digging without question Greta races toward the X'Hal to spot Ruby coming down the ramp.

"Why in tarnation are we digging up Maddy?"

"We're what?"

"I just said that. How is this going to save Malcolm?"

"No clue. Let's find out." Ruby and Greta storm to Gaicazar's side and look toward Madigan for answers, "Mind telling us what you're doing?"

"What I must Colonel. The garden has a ghost of its own. Her name is Briar. A living tree similar to Gaea but from another world. A young girl. She offered me an exchange. My original body fresh from the ground for an apple. She swears she can grow one if I offer her this sacrifice."

All look horrified. Antonaeus halts his digging, "A sacrifice is never wise."

"Do I have a choice here? We can't save Malcolm without an apple to return him to a strengthened metabolism. The Ganthorians have nothing. What good is my corpse laying in the ground anyway?"

Ruby exhales loudly as Sophia Ridge joins them, "What's going on? Mom?"

"I am sorry Sophia. I know how this must look. I would never defile my grave if it were not to save another. Please forgive me."

"Can you still turn to normal if your body and ghost are both above ground?" Ruby questions.

"I do not know. Should this fail and I vanish know that I love you all. I do this for Malcolm."

"I get that." Ruby fights a tear. Greta already succumbing to her own ducts. Sophia merely creases her brow.

"Bad timing I know but something positive has happened." Sophia sighs as Ruby looks her in the eye for the rest, "James is back. Not the punk kid. The real Man. He's kind of out of sorts though. Amnesia I think. I told Harpea on my way out here. She's going to Grampa's room to check him out. She looked scared to death."

"Dammit." Ruby growls, "Greta? Go in and see what you can learn from Harpea. Report back as soon as you can. One thing at a time."

"Shouldn't you be with your son?" Maddy stares at Ruby attempting to nudge her where her true loyalties should be. Ruby knew she was right but losing Madigan was equally as frightening. Gritting her teeth Ruby stomps away with Greta in tow. On the way Ruby switches tactics.

"Go check on the younger James. Make certain he's okay. I haven't seen him since we got back. Let him know about his older self if he doesn't already." Greta nods and parts ways heading up into the X'Hal.

Entering the X'Orr Ruby heads straight for Orin's daycare. Passing Ganthorians she notes their departure from reality but chalks it up to their normal behavior. Most of them were the silent type anyway. At the door to the room Ruby stops to take a deep breath. She had not predicted ever meeting her son in his older body ever again. Alive that is. Enter she did.

"How is this possible Harpea?"

The Ganthorian beauty scans James from head to toe. Orin within the body of James utilizes his telepathy to mask his presence. The scanning instrument Harpea used had already been tinkered with by one of her fellow mind controlled Scientists to show normal signs of human life. Blocking Harpea's own telepathy was another matter. She however was not as advanced.

"I do not know. My colleagues informed me that he woke up in the liquid and that they removed him. Cleaning him for his own safety. By all intents and purposes your son has returned. How this is possible I do not know. A Reflection should not be able to sustain a lifetime beyond 33 years. His throat had also been slit. Yet look..." She lifts Orin's chin. He wanted to snap at her but played along, "Not even a scar. He has healed completely."

"James?" Ruby crouches in front of him. In response Orin looks her in the eye shyly, "How are you alive?" He merely shrugs. Expressing a glint of confusion his act was flawless.

Ruby stared blankly, "I don't even know what to say. We have so much going on right now. Half of our friends need rescuing. Now I have my son back and you can't remember a thing?"

"The girl called me James. Like you do. Is James my name?"

"Yes. It is." Ruby finds a smile knowing he appeared to be trying to cope.

"You are my Mother? We...look the same age."

"Long story. Do you remember the grottos? The Tempora? The Evil Man Orin Ridge?"

"Cow!" Orin recites in his own shielded thoughts. Speaking out loud he shakes his head, "No."

Huffing dramatically Ruby blows the red strands of hair from her eyes, "Alright. James? I want you to stay here with Harpea. I need to do a few things but I'll come see you as soon as possible." Rising as he nods Ruby motions Harpea to follow her past the infant Orin and K'Vyn. K'Vyn had been allowed speech and activity as long as he followed Orin's mental script. The baby induced into slumber. At the door Ruby looks to Harpea, "Get to the bottom of this please."

"I shall."

Before leaving the room Ruby feels lightheaded suddenly. Catching her balance between holding the wall and Harpea's shoulder she felt nauseous. Harpea held her with concern. Until Ruby's body began to glow golden as before. Catching her breath Ruby looks at her skin, "Here we go again. I thought I escaped this tan."

"Colonel?" Harpea peaks an eyebrow pointing toward Ruby's stomach. Wincing she follows her finger to discover the unexpected.

"Oh boy. Belly decided to catch up with the trimesters." She rolls her palm over the newly formed baby bump, "Had to happen sometime right? Perfect. Just perfect."

"Please be careful not to overtax yourself until I can examine you properly."

"Gotcha. As I said one thing at a time. Probably the stress of everything going on at once. I'll manage. Thanks for your concern."

"I swore to gain your trust. I am here for you Ruby Goddard."

"Yep. Keep an eye on James."

Leaving them Orin Ridge grinned. Standing up to stretch he drops his towel deliberately in front of Harpea but feigns ignorance. The continual erection had not ceased for even an instant. To a normal man that might prove unhealthy. She tilts her head and overlooks it, "Let us find you some clothing."

"You will pay for betraying me Ganthorian." Orin threatens from the safety of his enclosed thoughts. Soon enough.

Briefly looking in on Malcolm to see that he was awake and coherent Ruby sees his agony. Hears it even louder. She couldn't bear to watch him like this. Leaving him in the care of Ganthorians she moves back outside. Animahni had not left him alone.

Gaicazar had reached Madigan's body. Kneeling to dust the soil from her perfect features. One without decay. She had resided there perfectly. Looking up from the hole Antonaeus swallows, "Are you certain My Friend?"

Madigan nods, "Bring me up." In turn she watches him place her limp body over his massive shoulder and dig fingers into the roots of the Earth. Pulling himself out from below. Once topside Sophia recalls her Tyrants in order to help him from the hole. Claiming her Mother delicately Sophia lays her down at her feet.

"You look so peaceful Mom."

"So far I am still here." Maddy looks over her ghostly hands, "I must try something. Antonaeus? Lift my body up for me. Let me touch my corpse."

The Roman honors her request and cradles her in his mighty arms. With lowered gaze he respects her moment. Sophia could only stand and observe. Madigan carefully eases toward her body and makes the attempt. An invisible force blocks her from a merge.

"I had a feeling that would happen. My spirit is not allowed in my body."

"So how can you be you when you switch from ghost to flesh?" Sophia fidgets.

"Perhaps we shall never know Piper Sophia. Let us do this before I change my mind. Gaicazar would you carry me inside the Hilton?"

"I'm going with you Mom."

"No Sophia. Please. This is hard enough as it is."

Gaicazar inhales deeply. He hated entering the arena of steel and unknown alloys. It reminded him of days long past. Very bad days indeed. Yet, he sucks up his nerves and follows Madigan's drift. Reaching the ramp to the X'Hal he is joined by Ruby. He immediately notices her belly. With a scowl Ruby pats his back. Talk of that would come later. The three of them entered the ship and made the journey to Briar's garden.

At the sealed doorway Ruby and Antonaeus look over at Madigan, "It's not too late to reconsider. Do we even know what this Briar wants with your body?"

"As a host. Perhaps in a sense I might actually live again. Open the door please."

Madigan floats aside to offer Ruby room. The locks had been gravitationally crushed by a drone upon their first entry and exit. Fearful of what might escape James Ian thought it better to make certain. Smart kid ruby thought at the time. No other thought on the matter given until today. Concentrating on her inner strength Ruby glows brightly. Arms rippling with muscle that she never knew she had until focused upon. With ease she snaps the locks and nudges the door wide. A scent of greenery escapes with a hushing gasp of compression.

Madigan enters first motioning Gaicazar to hold his ground, "Briar? I have returned. As promised."

"Hello." Briar speaks softly.

Ruby leers into the darkness. Her glow subsiding. Having heard the girl Ruby felt it necessary to feel out the situation. Entering behind Madigan Ruby joins the two. Briar still maintaining her liquefied state of chlorophyll. An unsettling appearance to say the least.

"Briar is it? My name is Ruby Goddard."

"Hello Ruby Goddard. Your apples are ready." A branch lowers as if living and offers her a look at two fully developed Apples of Idunn. Hesitant to touch them at the moment she recalls the trouble Eve got she and Adam into in the Garden of Eden. A story that had flaws but was not that far off from the truth, "They are safe to touch. I offer two. In case another is ever needed. Away from the vine they become immortal. On the vine they wilt and die until the season is ripe for their return. I have encouraged them to return early. A fight I must say."

"Thank you Briar." Ruby fidgets before plucking them from their stems. In her palms she felt their power. No wonder Malcolm thrived on his original.

"Take them to Malcolm. Save him." Maddy prompts, "I will fulfill my promise to Briar then join you. If I can."

"Briar?" Ruby sighs.

"Yes Ruby Goddard?"

"Please do not hurt Madigan. We love her very much."

"That emotion is as succulent as the fruit you hold. I will not take her away from you. I merely wish my freedom. Her body is my only option."

Nodding Ruby reluctantly leaves the room as Madigan motions Antonaeus to carry her body forth. Entering the chamber Gaicazar feels his stomach knot up. Claustrophobic he was. Laying Maddy's body down in the sticky area he steps away. Eyes narrowed at the entire dilemma. What was this creature of green liquid standing before him?

"You are mighty indeed. I can sense the light of God within you. I would know you better very soon. If that is alright with you?"

"Perhaps. I do not trust thee Creature of ooze."

"Nor I you. We shall learn together."

Madigan waves him away leaving the two of them to finalize their deal. Ruby closes the door to offer them privacy. Both she and Antonaeus watching through a window as best they can in the gloom.

"How does this work Briar?"

"Let me show you Madigan. I will honor your body. Thank you for your sacrifice." Briar's liquid body dissipates to the floor and slithers like a snake toward Maddy's corpse. Entering her mouth and nose until all of the liquid had filtered effectively within. Maddy watches with sorrow yet wonder. After a moment of silence Madigan's eyelids flutter and open. Her once beautiful blue eyes now liquid green covering pupil and iris. Even the whites were a milky green. Movement followed as the corpse twitched then discovered its motor responses. Once capitalized on the body sat up and peered around in wonder.

"It is glorious. The Earth is so very beautiful. I am forever in your debt Madigan Ridge. Yes, I know your full identity. Madigan Regina Ridge. Mother of Piper Sophia. Wife of Obadiah Ridge. Who is Orin?"

"Someone I would rather not discuss. My spirit is still here. A good thing I suppose."

"I told you all would be well." Briar uses Madigan's hand to wave at Ruby. Smiling felt invigorating. Perhaps Briar was not so terrible. Time would tell. Seeing the bond intact Ruby tells Antonaeus to open the door as she heads up with the apples. It was time to save their friend.

Rushing through the X'Hal to reach the X'Orr she comes upon Greta Winston . Halting her ever so briefly Greta drags her to James Ian's room. Within Greta points to the boy who sat in a lotus position. His eyes sealed. Meditation? With a shrug Ruby tells Greta to stay with him. Her thoughts on the fact that maybe Young James had somehow fallen into his trance and moved his conscience over to his older self. All Ruby could do was groan, "One step at a time. Dammit."

In a race against time Ruby bolted down the ramp and through the exterior gardens. Watching rabbits darted away from her path. Eyes timidly glowing blue. They observed every move made. Up the X'Orr's ramp she rushes to Malcolm's side. Just before entering she hears a deafening cry. Malcolm's agony had taken its toll. Bursting in to find Animahni over him she discovers the red skinned beauty touching him with her nails.

"What are you doing?"

Animahni cringes, "Attempting to calm his pain. The only way I know how to. The paralysis will not hurt him. Merely take away the pain."

"I have the fruit. Step aside." Ruby brushes the Hybrid away as Ganthorian Doctors watch Ruby remove a boot knife and carve small chunks of an apple. Sitting down beside Malcolm she squeezes the fruit pulping it in her grasp to feed him gradually. The second juices touch his lips his eyes pop open. A look of yearning glared back at Ruby, "Nibble at a time." She turns to Animahni, "Tell me the paralysis hasn't effected his ability to eat."

"I am uncertain. I was only trying to help." Animahni panics, tears welling up. "I know that. Let's just hope we didn't just kill him. He can't chew." As Malcolm foams at the mouth unable to swallow Ruby snaps a glare toward a Doctor, "Cut him open. I don't know where to place an incision so one of you need to do it. Let's do the unthinkable. We crush this apple and enter it directly into his stomach. You can sew him up before he bleeds out right?"

A Doctor narrows his eyes and steps closer with instruments on a moveable tray. Nudging Ruby aside he utilizes a laser scalpel and makes the necessary incision. Peeling bloody flesh aside Ruby wanted to choke but maintained her mission. He felt no pain due to Animahni so that was a plus. As the Doctor opens his stomach he nods to Ruby. She swiftly hovers over the opening and crushes the apple completely into pulp. Seeds drop into his stomach cavity. Sitting the second apple aside she watches the Doctor seal him up. Their tech was incredible. Once done it became a matter of waiting. Very tedious waiting.

"Look His body mass is increasing. I think it's working." Ruby looks up at Animahni with hopefulness. As moments race by his physique gradually returns to its original human size. Sighing with relief Ruby feels his pulse. It was rapid but strong. The Doctor smiles at her for her risk. Then, things took a turn. His body enlarged slightly beyond his natural stature.

"He is growing." Animahni grows nervous.

"Fuck! We didn't think this through. Everyone out of the way. Animahni grab the other apple." Ruby brews her strength to amp up. Picking Malcolm up with ease she rushes them through the corridors to get him outside as quickly as possible.

In the commotion Orin Ridge inside the body of James Ian steps aside with Harpea. She had just gotten him a Life Fiber outfit to wear. Orin listens in closely to absorb all of their thoughts. So many juicy thoughts at that. By all rights he should have made certain Malcolm Brand had died. Now he could become yet another future threat to his schemes. A tad too late he lets it go. Watching Harpea abandon him Orin moves away on his own. Stopping suddenly he leers over his shoulder with narrowing eyes, "What are you doing boy? Why can I not read your mind? We are the same person it should not prove this difficult." For now he let it go. Monitoring others meant a challenge. So many to control at once. So many to keep track of. He would sleep on it.

SZENSEI
SZENSEI
1,875 Followers