Fathers and Sons Ch. 01

Story Info
Family relations in play; Don makes a huge observation.
11.8k words
4.78
18k
17

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 10/23/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is listed in WifeWatchman's biography, which is currently not updating. Stories after Music Box Dancer are: Return To Apple Grove, Media Matters, Swamp Frogs, Man of God, Fathers and Sons.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 1 - Prologue: The Case of the Missing Stringbeans

8:00pm, Wednesday, August 1st. Carole's birthday party was in full swing. Marie was there, as were Carole's brothers Jim, Ian, and Ross, and her sister Tasha, and her cousins Doug, little Todd, and little Jack. This meant that Molly Evans, Paulina Patterson, and Stephanie and Edward Steele were there, as well as Todd and Teresa, Cindy and Callie, and of course my mom Phyllis. I'd also asked Chief Griswold and his wife to come, and they did. It was a crowded Mountain Nest.

After Carole opened her gifts and we had ice cream and cake (Carole likes caramel cakes), we settled down for a book reading. It seemed that Carole and Marie had written and illustrated a booklet for Chief Griswold, and they decided that Carole's birthday was a good day to give this gift.

They sat on either side of the old Chief on the near-side sofa (the one not against the wall) as he read it out loud.

"The Case of the Missing Stringbeans." he read, then opened the booklet. "Where are your stringbeans? Mom asked." The drawing showed a black-haired woman that really did look like Laura, frowning. Carole and Marie were at the table, looking either surprised or worried. To one side was Bowser, happily eating from his dog food bowl.

"We'll find them!" the Chief read, as the drawings showed Marie and Carole with magnifying glasses in their hands, with Carole wearing a deerstalker 'Sherlock Holmes' cap. "And we'll get Chief Griswold to help." The drawings showed Chief Griswold with large mustaches that coiled like party favors on either side of his egg-shaped head. A smiling Bowser and the empty dog food dish were also shown in the lower right-hand corner.

"What are you doing? said Mommy." the Chief read. "We're looking for clues. said Carole. Yeah, don't touch anything. said Marie." The drawings showed Carole and Marie looking for clues, helping Chief Griswold examine Bowser and his bowl.

Then the drawings showed the girls looking shocked. Bowser also was shocked, his ears pointing straight up over his head. Behind them was a pair of arms, with a red stick being held. "Oh no! We've been ambushed!" the Chief read. "It's a trap!"

The next picture showed Carole on the stairs in time out. A huge sad frown was on her face, and a huge sad frown was on Bowser's face next to the staircase. Next to Carole, his finger pointing to the other hand's fingers as he read her a list of her stringbean crimes, was Daddy, his face and hair drawn in all orange-red. The Chief turned the book so that I could see the drawing from the rocking chair in which I was sitting.

"C'mon." I said dramatically. "Are my ears really that big?" The girls giggled mightily.

"I've got bad news for you, Crowbar." the Chief growled severely. "Marie is a very accurate artist." That caused the adults to laugh mightily. I covered my eyes with my hand in mock embarrassment. And yes, Marie was a terrific, if all-too-accurate artist.

The reading went on. The drawings showed Carole and Marie, both smiling, petting a very happy Bowser, his empty bowl to one side. "We found out where the stringbeans went," read the Chief, "but after time out, we had no reason to reveal the truth. Besides, the culprit was our best friend. We closed the case."

Everyone clapped, and Carole and Marie were very happy. The old Chief put his arms around them, and kissed the tops of their heads. "This is a wonderful gift. Thank you, girls."

The girls hugged him back. "We love you, Chief Griswold." Carole said. Mrs. Griswold dabbed her eyes, and she was not the only one feeling the emotions...

Part 2 - Coffee and the SEC

Thursday, August 2d. Detective Jerome Davis came into MCD at 6:45am, prepared to begin making the coffee. To his shock, two pots were made and full, a third pot was being made at the moment, and the fourth pot was missing.

"Good morning, Jerome." said Detective Julia Rodriguez, coming in with the fourth pot. Jerome observed that she had cleaned it.

"Hi Julia." said Jerome. "Making the coffee?"

"Yes." said Julia brightly, then realized something. "Er, was that wrong."

"No, not at all." said Jerome. "We've had a running joke about me making Navy coffee because Commander Troy always made it too weak."

"You were in the Navy?" asked Julia.

"No, my dad was. Retired Senior Chief Petty Officer." said Jerome.

"So I should let you make the coffee?" asked Julia.

"If you want to make it, go ahead." said Jerome. "If I get here first, I'll start it up. We all make coffee as the day goes along."

"You said Commander Troy was making the coffee?" asked Julia, seemingly stunned. Jerome laughed.

"Oh yes." Jerome said. "He did tell Captain Perlman not to try, because she has to reach up to do it, and she can't wheel out of the way of a spilled hot pot in time. But the rest of us make it as we go along."

They poured cups of coffee and headed to their desks. Julia lowered her voice to a 'conspiratorial' level. "What is Commander Troy really like? I mean, I've heard a million stories, but what's the truth?"

"He expects a hundred percent out of us." said Jerome. "But he's not a drill sergeant. He never misses an opportunity to teach, and he never misses anything, not even the smallest detail. Someone told me that as long as we tell the truth and don't try to hide any mistakes or anything else, he'll bend over backwards to help us."

*Whirrrrrrrr*

Julia was already out of her chair and pouring Captain Perlman a cup of coffee as Tanya drove into the room through the side door.

"Good morning, guys!" Tanya said with great perkiness. "Oh! Cup of coffee already! I observe that you are new to the office." Jerome chuckled. Julia wasn't sure what to say.

"I'm teasing you, Julia." said Tanya with a huge grin. "And get used to it, Junior Detective: we are relentless with each other. And you're trying too hard, so settle down."

"We should give her the ground rules, ma'am." said Jerome.

"Yes, we should." said Tanya, having Julia sit down at her desk and parking her (Tanya's) wheelchair next to the desk. "First, if someone gives you a message for Commander Troy, or if you have information for him, get it to him as fast as you can. Meet him at the door if you need to, chase him down the hall, no matter how small the information seems to be."

"Second," Tanya said "the Commander's first name is 'Commander'. His nickname is 'sir'. You can use his nickname: 'Hello, sir.', 'How are you, sir?'. Make sure to use his nickname or his first name, even if Commander Ross calls him 'Don'. That goes for the Chief, me, and Lt. Milton as well. As to you Detectives, there's no rank-pulling; you can call each other what you like. Just keep it clean." Jerome laughed.

Just then Julia stood up. "At ease, Detective." I said, having observed her movement as I came in. "I appreciate the respect, but this isn't the Army. So stay in your seat when I come in here."

"That goes for the Chief, as well." said Tanya as I poured myself coffee in my Airborne School mug. I noticed Julia observing which cup was mine.

"Don't ever pour me any coffee, by the way." I said, knowing what the new and too-eager-to-please Detective was thinking. "I like to put pollutants in my coffee in my own amounts. Even Davis knows that."

"Yes sir." Jerome said agreeably with a grin.

"Who made this coffee, Davis?" I asked after sipping mine. "Must be an Army person. This is not the Navy standard."

"I made it, sir." said Julia, looking a bit worried again.

"Captain," I said with a grin, "our new Detective is trying too hard. Give her remedial instruction on being 'normal'."

Tanya grinned brightly. "Yes sir. As soon as I figure out what 'normal' is around here." I laughed as Tanya looked at Julia with a grin. I grabbed the 'Commander Chair' near the coffeepots, drove it to near Jerome's desk, and settled in for the news as others began trickling in...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Fox Two News!" yelled the redheaded reporterette at 7:00am, Thursday, August 2d, from in front of the State Office Building off Courthouse Square. "Fox Two News has learned that Independent State Counsel Robert Mullen has subpoenaed several aides to Governor Val Jared!"

Bettina began: "The Independent State Counsel has subpoenaed former Jared aide Dave Smigelski. Robert Mullen says that Smigelski has important information that could lead to indictments against the Governor as well as Commander Donald Troy. Two other subpoenas have gone out, for aides Alan Davidson and Steven Fuqua, but Mr. Mullen did not speak about those subpoenas."

"Asked when his investigation of the Governor might conclude," said Bettina, "Mr. Mullen said that there was no timetable, but he expected to wrap up by this Fall. Some Republicans immediately accused him of attempting to time the investigation's report to the November elections, while other Republicans as well as Democrats reaffirmed their support for the Independent State Counsel's investigation of Governor Jared."

"And Chaplain Alberto Romano was awarded the Distinguished Police Cross yesterday in the Police Force's promotions and awards ceremonies!" said Bettina. "The Police Cross, the second-highest medal that the TCPD awards, is also the highest decoration ever bestowed upon any Chaplain of any law enforcement agency in the State. And now let's go to Nick Eastwood for Sports. Nick!"

"Thank you, Bettina!" said Nick Eastwood, the University's practice fields behind him. "The Bulldogs have huge hopes for a big run at the Conference and National Championships this year! With the Wildcats having to rebuild their defense, and teams such as Alabama also expected to have rebuilding years, this could be our University's chance to shine as they get summer camp underway!..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

As the broadcast went on, Jerome printed out a few sheets of paper, put them in a folder, and handed them to me. I glanced at them; they were about the 'Queenie Files' and also about Chief Griswold's son, Charlie.

"Alabama does not rebuild." stated Joanne Warner, directing her comments at Ole Miss graduate Teddy Parker. "They reload. Isn't that right, Teddy?"

"As the Commander says... time will tell." Teddy replied, a bit sourly.

"Yes, in-deed." said Cindy Ross. "And time will tell when the Bulldogs make it two straight over the Wildcats. How many Freshman for you on defense, Theo?"

"For my school, Eastern State?" said Theo. "We're fine on D. We just don't have a quarterback. As to the Wildcats, my cousin Jamaal says people are going to be surprised this year, and that the Bulldogs will be seeing red in October."

"Harrumph." muttered Cindy as Theo and I exchanged a 'knowing' look.

"Not red. Crimson. Roll Tide!" said Joanne brightly. When did she become an Alabama fan, I wondered to myself.

"We're going to sweep the floors with the Wildcats AND the Crimson Tide." Cindy said with alacrity."

"Detective Rodriguez!" I said loudly, "no matter what Commander Ross tells you, you do not have to sweep the floors in here, unless you personally made the mess, of course. Especially since the Wildcats will do the sweeping of floors with the Bulldogs!" Julia finally grinned. By way of contrast, Cindy's ice blue eyes were staring right through me.

"You're taking away all my fun." Cindy said. "Retribution will come... in October!" There were 'oooh's and 'aaah's over that.

"Ahhh, summertime." I retorted. "Camps started. Hopes renewed. Razzing practiced. Then your dreams are crushed after the Wildcats soundly whip your Bulldogs in October." More 'oooooooh's.

"You're both wrong... ma'am, sir." said Joanne. "It's going to be an SEC year! Alabama is going to rock everyone's world." I saw Teresa Croyle walk in just as Joanne said that. She went up to Joanne's desk, right behind the lovely blonde.

"I just have one thing to say about that." Teresa said, then leaned over as if she was whispering. "War. Damn. Eagle!"

That would be the Auburn battle cry. Captain Malone had been a huge Auburn fan and his wife an even bigger one, and they had introduced Teresa to Auburn Sports. Teresa had graduated from a small School, and she wasn't a big sports fan, but ya gotta root for somebody...

Joanne looked mock-shocked, while the rest of us hooted and hollered as if we were rabid SEC fans. And Julia Rodriguez finally began relaxing.

"Commander," asked Teddy Parker, "who is your favorite SEC team?"

"Oh, if I had to choose," I said, "I'd say the Georgia Bulldogs."

"Why them?" asked Joanne.

"Well," I said, "first of all, they wear red jerseys, like the Wildcats do. And second, they have the coolest mascot in the country."

"Hey!" barked Cindy. "What about our mascot, Chief?"

"Chief is a cool dog." I said. "But he has not appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated, like Uga V did. And that same Uga V starred with Clint Eastwood in 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil'. Not even Bowser has done something like that."

"I'd like to star in a movie with Clint Eastwood." Joanne said dreamily. Her fellow Detectives stared at her. "What?" she said upon seeing the attention.

"Sir, does Smigelski have anything on the Governor?" asked Julia.

"Not on what they're accusing him of. Because it never happened." I said. "I get the idea this is just more intimidation tactics by Mullen."

"Will they work?" ask Jerome.

"I dunno." I said dully. "Jared's aides don't have the Crowbar intestinal fortitude like people around here do." Everyone smiled at that...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"You people have my new Detective's head spinning." I admonished my Angels as we gathered in my office just before 8:00am.

"She's starting to catch on, sir." said Tanya. "A first morning coffee klatch can always be overwhelming."

"Just thank your lucky stars Rudistan wasn't in there this morning." Teresa said. "Word I'm getting is that he is chewing up Second Precinct and spitting them out. They're learning to love him, though."

"Well," I said, "let's tune in to some people I'm not learning to love." I turned on the television to watch the SNN broadcast.

"This is Jenna James, SNN News!" said the lovely blonde KCAP reporterette at 8:00am, Thursday, August 2d, from in front of the State Capitol in Midtown. "SNN News has learned that Governor Val Jared is cracking down on his internal staff after a series of leaks to the Press!"

Jenna went on: "Sources close to the matter have told SNN News that the Governor is trying to root out moles in his administration, and has severely compartmentalized information between groups of staff. Other sources tell SNN that the SBI has also instituted security measures as they look for moles within their own ranks."

"And finally," said Jenna, "our colleagues at KCTY in the City have filed Open Records Acts requests for information involving the murder of Selena Martinez last year. KCTY and KCAP are following up on leads that former University Assistant Coach Willy 'Speedy' Gonzales raped Ms. Martinez while she was a University student..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Ohhhhhh, shit." Cindy muttered. She knew where that could possibly lead.

"Is that really all that damaging?" asked Tanya.

"Maybe, maybe not." I said. "It's curious that they would suddenly get interested in the Martinez murder now... Ohhhh..." I suddenly remembered what Conservative radio talk show host Reed Hudson had recently told me at Ronald Reagan Park.

"What?" asked Teresa.

"Nothing." I said. "We'll see what happens. If they connect the disc golf discs found on Martinez and Gonzales's bodies, then it's 'Houston, we have a problem'. If not, then it may be nothing."

Cindy excused herself to her duties, leaving me with Tanya and Teresa. "Okay, what's new?" I asked.

"Jerome Davis has been helping the FBI with the 'Queenie Files'." said Tanya. "He has some information for you, and I told him to bring it directly to you. Other than that, it's getting slow. I may have Parker start working on a cold case."

"How's Parker doing? by the way..." I said. "He seems disinterested in things, all of a sudden."

"I'd say it's more over time than sudden." said Tanya. "I think it's part boredom, part love life problems away from work, and part summer blues."

"Hmmm." I said. "Talk to him, maybe under the guise of discussing a cold case. See what's going on with him. Teresa, you got anything?"

"Precinct Captain Goodwin, sir." Teresa said. "He's still harping about you taking Rodriguez out of 1st Precinct without giving him a chance to oppose it. He's considering filing a grievance with the Union, to get 'clarification', as he puts it."

"If he'd prefer to whine about it as a Corporal," I said sharply, "that can certainly be arranged."

"Sir," said Teresa, "he's not complaining about that. But he thinks there's two separate issues here: blocking the email, which he admits was wrong; and trying to block the transfer by legitimate means. He thinks he should've been allowed input, and wants the Union to look into it."

"I don't see it as two separate issues." I said. "Even if I accepted that he has input, which I don't, he abrogated that when he blocked her email from getting through. And there's precedent for transferring Officers to fill needs. There's also military precedent; I saw people transferred without input from their company-level leadership. So, Captain, I would suggest you have a 'conversation' with Goodwin. If he wants to grieve it, he has that right, but there will be consequences."

"And while you're at it," I continued, "start putting together possible scenarios for his replacement as Precinct Captain. Irwin will not be considered for promotion, brevetting, or favorable actions, so give me other options if they become necessary."

I could tell Teresa was a bit stunned at the strength of my response, and maybe she thought Goodwin had a legitimate point. But she said nothing, except "Yes sir." and moved out smartly.

Tanya did not leave with Teresa. "Can you call in Lt. Mary Milton?" she requested. I did so, and Mary was sitting in a 'hot chair' just seconds later.

"Okay, what's it about?" I asked.

"Sir," said Mary, "we know Geiger gave Ikea the information on the Queenie Files, and just as soon as you gave him that assignment. If you were setting him up for a trap, sir, it worked. I want him removed from Vice."

"I agree that he fell into the trap, and is untrustworthy." said Tanya. "I'm not so sure what to do with him, though. He is not going to MCD, and we can't put him out in a Precinct or certain Council Members will take it as a precedent and run with it."

"Yes, he did fall into my trap... with very good results for us." I replied. "But as to getting rid of him, upon what basis are you going to make your case?"

"Sir?" Mary exclaimed.

"Okay, I'll play Geiger." I said. "Come at me, sis."

"You gave away confidential information to a noted untrustworthy SBI Agent." said Mary.