Finding Elvis Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gretchen leaned forward in her chair. "The DA is going to try and pin this on me, Kirk, even though the police have evidence that says I didn't do it. Can you tell me if you know of anyone else that might have wanted to kill either Cartwright or Kat? Or even just hated either of them really badly?"

He smiled a lop-sided smile at Gretchen. "As you no doubt know, the list of people that despised your step-mother was long and distinguished. Cartwright came in a distant second. Frankly, I'd have much more expected Kat to be murdered than Cartwright. What do the police have that the DA is ignoring?"

"The CSI's opinion is that Gretchen was not the killer due to evidence at the scene and on her person. Or rather, what was not on her person. There wasn't any blood on her, except where she picked up the knife," I said. "The DA is, however, a politician himself and will be trying hard to ignore that bit of evidence so that he can save the prosecution."

"I can't point you at a suspect," Kirk said, "but I can bring some pressure to bear on the DA. That might help."

"Thank you, Kirk," Gretchen said, rising to her feet. "I appreciate your help."

He looked indecisive for a moment and then spoke with a lowered voice. "Kat and Cartwright had some dealings. I wouldn't be surprised if you found something in her office."

I stood up and walked with Gretchen to the door. "We moved some things around in there earlier. We'll take a more thorough look tonight. Thank you."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Gretchen blush.

When we were back in the Hummer, Gretchen asked, "Do you believe him? You weren't as hard on him as you were on Ivan. You actually looked like you believed him."

I shrugged. "I don't know enough yet, but he's still my favorite by a long shot. I was easier on him because he wasn't as confrontational as Ivan was. He also doesn't get on my nerves as much. As far as trusting him, well, he said it himself. He's a politician who can smile and lie to your face." I shook my head. "No, it all comes down to motive. I'll still be digging for a motive, and once we know what that is, we'll know who. Motive is a lot easier to discover than guessing 'who' without knowing 'why'. Though," I said with a mild glare, "you weren't supposed to interrupt my questioning and throw me off stride."

"Sorry, I just got sucked in. Do you have someone else in mind to look at next?" she asked.

"Actually, I think we should search Kat's office next. See if we can find anything in the Kat litter."

Gretchen laughed. "Kat litter? That's just wrong. Do you mind if we make a stop to talk with my Uncle David? He lives over on this side of town, and I never really got a chance to talk with him that night."

I nodded. "That's fine. He's on my list too, but not nearly as high."

Gretchen shook her head. "Is everyone a suspect? He's my uncle, Hawk."

"More murders are committed by relatives than you might expect, Honey. And since we're talking about your life, I'm not leaving anything on the table. It usually takes a strong emotional connection to kill someone. Like I said, he's not my favorite. Give 'The Great Devon' the directions, and let's go do this. Another thing I want to do is get together with Ted and Lisa."

Gretchen gave Devon the directions and then leaned back against the door, looking at me. "Do you think they know something more?"

I shook my head. "No, I just miss them. I want to sit and talk."

Gretchen smiled a wicked smile. "I bet talking isn't all you miss. Especially with that hot little foursome fantasy number you cooked up."

I rolled my eyes. "You really do have a one-track mind. Come on, Gretchen, I'm not panting to have Ted bend me over the desk and service me, if that's what you're getting at." Actually, I felt my sex moisten at the thought and firmly told it to heel.

"Uh huh," she said with a twinkle in her eyes. "That's okay, like I said earlier, we need to talk with them anyway and work out the boundaries between the father and mother of our child. And their spouses. Speaking of our child, you need to go see a doctor about that and make sure everything's okay."

I felt my face redden. I couldn't believe I was embarrassed about Gretchen working out the details of our sex life, but I was. "Fine, you can talk to them about how they want it. I'll abide by whatever makes them happy. As for a kid doctor, why? It's only been a week. What can a doctor tell me?"

"He or she can tell you what you need to do and what you don't," Gretchen said. "Do some blood work or something. It just seems like the right thing to do."

"Fine," I growled. "I'll see a blooming doctor."

She grabbed me into a hug and kissed me. "Thank you! I love you so much!"

Those unexpected words made me go all warm inside. "I love you, too."

-----

When we pulled up in front of David Stein's house, it was readily apparent that he was firmly middle-class. After all the gargantuan mansions, it made me feel better.

David opened the door at my knock and had one of those mixed expressions on his face. Pleasure and pain. He rushed outside and enfolded Gretchen in his embrace.

"Gretchen, I'm so sorry," he said. He pulled back and looked into her eyes with sadness. "After all this, I can't believe you even want to see me."

Gretchen held his hands and smiled at him. "I can't imagine anything making me feel that way toward you. You've always been there for me and I love you. Even this won't change that."

He shook his head. "I never imagined you taking it so well. Come inside. I'm sure you have lots of questions."

I looked at him and smiled. "Most people aren't so eager to have those kinds of questions asked, David. May I call you David?"

He nodded and led the way back into the well-decorated house. It was homey and well-lived in. Definitely not a show home. Pictures of people were everywhere. On the walls, on the tables, virtually every flat place.

I stepped over and looked at one of a much younger David and a woman that looked almost exactly like Gretchen did now. A glance at Gretchen confirmed it when she smiled.

"Yes," she said, "that's my mother. I definitely took my looks from her."

David opened the door to the kitchen and ushered us in. "She looks just like her," he avowed. "Sit down and we can talk. Coffee?"

"Always," I said. "You don't seem surprised to see us and that has me curious. What made you expect us?"

Now he looked surprised. "I've been expecting you ever since this morning. I didn't figure it would take long for you to hear about my visit to the DA."

Gretchen's head jerked up. "You visited the DA? Why?"

David stared at her. "You didn't know? I never..." He shook himself and took a deep breath. "I went to the DA and confessed that I killed Kat and Senator Cartwright."

12