Finding Happiness After Love Dies

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I was standing staring across the river when she came out of my house. I felt her walk up behind me and she put her hand on my back. "I'm sorry Ron. I'll just go now but if you ever need to talk to someone I'll be there."

I watched her head toward the river and get into her boat. I was still watching as she disappeared downstream and went around the bend.

The next Saturday I was working in my garden beside the river. It was almost too hot to work and I was thinking of quitting when a canoe came into sight from upstream. There were two women in it. When it got closer I saw Laura and her friend Tammy in it. They were both smiling and Laura was waving. As they came closer I saw they were aiming directly at my landing.

Just before beaching both of the women gave a strong pull with their paddles and drove the bow of the canoe far up onto the gravel bar. Laura came bouncing up the bank still smiling. Tammy followed behind her slowly. She was watching me as Laura bounced up and stood in front of me. She smiled then looked into my eyes as she said, "Ron I'm sorry about the other night. I shouldn't have mentioned...Oh, Hell, I know how I felt after my divorce. I won't mention it again but I'm here if you ever want to talk. I mean that. Now, Tammy and I are hungry and you have a really nice place to eat here. If we share our lunch with you could we please use your table?"

I could not believe the gall of this woman. Sure I helped her when she was hurt but...Well hell, I had posted the place against trespassing and she knew it. I just looked at her in total bewilderment. The longer I looked at her the more she seemed to wilt. I saw her shoulders slump and she started to turn away as she said, "Oh, I guess not huh? I'm sorry we bothered you."

As they were going over the bank toward their canoe I heard Tammy say to Laura, "I told you. You can tell by looking at the asshole he is an asshole. Now let's get on downstream and find someplace to eat. I'm starved."

I stood in shock once more and thought, I'm an asshole? Hell, I didn't ignore no trespassing signs and try to force myself on someone. I never realized I had moved but the next thing I knew I was standing on the bank of the stream over my landing. The girls had just pushed their canoe off when I got there. I heard myself saying, "Wait. I guess I was being an asshole. I just can't seem to deal with people—especially women—since my divorce and...I'm sorry. Would you please come back? You can use my table and won't even have to share your meal."

Tammy didn't even look up as she snarled, "Forget it. We don't need you to do us any favors."

I was turning back toward my house when I heard Laura say, "Oh, come on Tammy. Let's go back. He said he's sorry and I really want to eat there. Please?" I heard the swishing of water that comes from back paddling to slow a canoe. I heard the gravel crunching then a smiling Laura and a frowning Tammy came back over the bank carrying a large cooler. They walked up to my picnic table and began unloading the meal.

I stood and watched as they set Tupperware bowls out. There was cold fried chicken, potato salad and coleslaw. I was surprised to see three plates and table servings set out, then three glasses were filled with ice tea. They had planned this meal for three and from the looks of it Laura was the instigator.

I looked at the spread and said, "Would you like me to microwave the chicken to heat it? And I have some fresh picked tomatoes if you want..." Laura gave me a dazzling smile and pushed the chicken toward me. "Great," she replied.

I picked up the container of chicken and rushed into the house. I popped it into the microwave then rushed to the sink to wash my hands. I washed and sliced two nice tomatoes then sliced some fresh home made bread still warm from the machine. By the time the chicken was warm I had everything else I wanted to take out ready to go. I turned to go outside and found Laura sitting at my breakfast bar once again. She gave me a small smile when she saw me jump when I saw her.

Laura stood and glided into the kitchen. She walked up beside me and smiled then said, "Do you need help carrying all that? I said I was going to feed you and it looks like you have almost as much food out as I brought. That home made bread smells divine too."

As Laura reached for the chicken and tomato dish she pushed me out of the way with her hips. I looked down toward her and saw her unrestrained breasts inside her thin shirt. Her nipples were sooo hard and sooooo beautiful! I felt my little soldier leap to attention. I had to turn partly away from her and adjust things before I picked up the plate of bread to follow her outside. When I turned back toward her I saw a pleased smirk on her face.

I walked all the way back to the picnic table following Laura. I was totally besotted, mesmerized by the vision in front of me. Her near perfect ass was wiggling side to side and her tanned, perfectly formed legs flashed in the light as we walked from sun to shade and back into sun from time to time.

Laura walked around the picnic table and began arranging the dishes. I looked up and saw Tammy gazing at me with an inquisitive look on her face. She looked at Laura and I heard her whisper something. Laura blushed and swatted her on the shoulder then said, "Hush Tammy." She looked toward me rapidly then lowered her eyes to the table once more.

The girls sat across the table from me and filled all three plates. We visited as we ate, learning more about one another. I realized I had not brought salt or pepper out for the tomatoes and said I would go get it. Laura jumped from her seat and said, "No, just tell me where it is and I'll get it for you Ron." I swear she was half way to the house before I got her answered so I let her go.

While she was gone Tammy sat and stared, almost glared at me. I could see she was thinking hard about something. I heard the door open and then Tammy started to talk. She talked rapidly and quietly so I am sure Laura did not hear what she said. "Ron I can't make up my mind about you. I know you've been hurt but so has Laura. I swear if you hurt her more I'll beat you to death. The last thing she needs is another man to hurt her."

I sat in shock and felt my temper rising once more. I snapped at Tammy before I realized what I was doing. I said, "Listen Bitch. I don't know where you come off sitting at my table and lecturing me like that but I have no intention of hurting Laura or anything else. In case you forgot you are the ones that came to me for this little meal. I was perfectly happy sitting here all alone but noooo, you had to intrude on my privacy. Now you are guests and you will be treated as such unless someone keeps on insulting the host hummm."

Tammy's face got red and she took a deep breath. Before she could respond Laura came bouncing up and saw how we were looking at each other. She turned to Tammy and said, "Tammy what have you done?"

I watched as Tammy spluttered and looked guilty. She looked everywhere but into Laura's eyes or at me. Finally she muttered, "Nothing. Ron and I were just talking and I guess we pushed each other's buttons. Now let's finish lunch so we can get on downstream to your folks."

After the meal Tammy rose and began cleaning up and packing. Laura sat and looked at me a moment then reached her hand out. She placed it on the hand I had still on the table and said, "Ron I don't know what happened between you and Tammy but she is really a nice person. I suppose she probably was trying to protect me from you. Whatever, I'm sorry she upset you. She means well. Now we do have to go but thank you so much for a fun lunch and for sharing your bread and tomatoes with us."

Laura stood and picked up my two plates and salt and pepper shakers and took them into my house. I turned to watch her glide once more across my yard. Damn she was fine looking. When I swiveled back to the table I saw Tammy staring at me. She didn't say anything but I could sure hear her thinking it. I watched as the women took their cooler back to the canoe and floated past my yard. Laura waved and gave me a big smile after they were lined out in the channel. As much as I hated to admit it I had a pleasant meal until Tammy opened her mouth.

Wednesday evening late Laura came to my place once more but she drove this time. Since I had my gate locked she had to walk almost a quarter mile down my lane. The first I knew she was there was when she came around the corner of my house and began yelling for me. I had been down at the river skinny-dipping. It was past dusk and late enough in the day I didn't expect canoes. If there had been I could hear them in time to get to the bank and dress before they saw me so I felt safe in indulging my desires. I have to admit I really liked to swim and walk around nude so I indulged myself when the opportunity arose. I had never considered anyone walking up on me.

I am afraid Laura caught sight of my naked bod as I grabbed for my ratty old cut offs. When I rose from pulling up my pants I saw a very red Laura standing looking down at me and holding the pie in front of her. She was almost crying as she said, "I'm sorry! I didn't know...I uh, I didn't mean to peek at you. I'm sorry!"

I felt a little shamed but then that surge of anger hit me again. Damn it this was MY place, MY home and I had it posted. I had no reason to be embarrassed that she caught me naked. If she had obeyed the signs this would have never happened. I am sure she saw my jaw clench but she stood her ground and said, "I brought you an apple pie and since it was so dark I drove this time. I didn't know you kept your gate locked all the time." The hue in her face was slowly receding but I could tell she was still upset.

I don't know why I didn't say something but I just looked at her for a moment then I began walking toward her. "Well come on in. I suppose we need to make some coffee and sample the pie since you brought it over. I haven't eaten yet. Do you want some supper?"

Laura blushed once more and said, "Uh, no. I...we won't eat for a while yet. We wait for Dad and Aaron to get done in the fields during the summer so I decided to bring your pie over before. I can just go and...I am sorry I bothered you Ron."

She sat the pie on my counter and started to leave. I don't know why but I reached out and grabbed her arm. I felt her tense in fear. When she looked at me she looked like she had seen a ghost. I dropped her arm and said, "I'm sorry Laura. I shouldn't have grabbed you. I just..."

I felt almost a lurch as I realized I didn't want her to leave. I continued, saying, "I just didn't want you to go yet. I mean, if you have time, at least stay a few minutes while I make supper. You're more than welcome to eat with me too if you want. I..."

Once again, I was surprised when I realized what I was about to say was true. I continued once again, "I would really appreciate some company. That is if you have time?"

Laura looked into my eyes and I saw her begin to smile. By the time the smile was fully formed her eyes were glinting with her pleasure. She slid her beautiful posterior onto "her" stool at my breakfast bar and leaned her elbows on the counter, placing her chin in her hands. As she wiggled her butt to get more comfortable she said, "Well, don't let me stop you. Get busy. I bet you have a hungry man to feed."

I really didn't have much to do. I had made a potato salad and bean salad earlier and had some for lunch. All I had to do was prepare some meat so I got busy. I decided to make enough for both of us in case I could get her to stay and dine with me. I had plenty of chicken thawed out so I just fried it. After I got it seared so it would be nice and crusty I turned the heat down, sliced some onions over the meat and put the lid on it.

I walked up to the counter and reached underneath for some wine glasses. I sat them on the table and opened the refrigerator for the well-chilled white wine I had selected earlier. Laura watched me pour two glasses then when I handed her one she sipped it daintily. I saw her eyes open in surprise and she exclaimed, "Oh, that's good!"

I pulled my chair around where I could see her better and we began visiting. She said, "Well, I know you are recently...uh, SINGLE, and that you don't work but surely there is something else I should know about Ron Stevens isn't there?"

I smiled and said, "Well, I don't know. I'm pretty much what you have seen so far. I guess you can say I work part time. I am in the Army Reserve and since I don't have a full time job I spend a lot of time doing things for the Reserve. I take a lot of short tours of Active Duty or Active Duty for Training. From January to July I was on a short tour in Hawaii. I am thinking about applying for another one later this fall. Right now I am in the middle of a lawsuit against my prior employer for failing to observe the USERRA Law on my reemployment. Other than that, I'm pretty much a part time gardener and the irascible SOB you see. Now how about Laura Childs hummm?"

Laura took another sip of her wine and looked at me over the lip of her glass. "Not much to tell actually. I am divorced. I was married and lived with my husband for almost seven years, separated and in the process of divorce for three, been single again for three. I was born and raised here on the river at my family farm. I have a degree in Agribusiness and worked in a feed mill for several years. I quit and came home when my marriage went south. Now I work part time in Steelville at the Farm Supply store and work part time on the Family Farm. I'm kind to animals and fun to be around if you treat me right."

Of course as we conversed I had been working on my pan of chicken. I finally decided it was done to perfection so I dished it up. I put plates and silverware in front of both of us and sat to eat. I topped off her wine and handed the bowl of chicken to Laura.

I watched as Laura dished up her food and began eating. All at once she stopped and exclaimed, "Damn you! I never said I would eat supper with you. How did you???"

I just sat and grinned at her. Just before I took a bite I smiled and said, "Well, you've got your plate full now so I guess you have to eat. We sure don't want to waste anything do we?"

Laura glared at me a moment then I saw a sexy little grin break out over her face. She didn't say anything but she began eating once more. After we finished Laura helped me clean the kitchen and dish up the apple pie. I poured two large glasses of Port to go with it and we wandered into the living room to sit and eat our dessert. We continued our conversation.

After a few moments Laura asked if she could use the bathroom. When she came back into the room she sat on the couch beside me and we continued with our conversation. I noticed both Port glasses were empty and filled them. We continued to talk and visit. By now Laura was leaning on my shoulder as we talked. Our conversation was almost nonexistent by now. We just sat and watched the sunset as we sipped our port.

I turned to look down at Laura and she was looking up at me. I never realized I moved but I heard a moan. I realized I was kissing Laura and she was straining upward toward me. Laura stood and I felt a surge of fear. She turned slightly and plopped her beautiful ass down onto my lap. Laura leaned into me and wrapped her arms around me as she began kissing me once more.

After several eons of kissing I heard Laura sigh. She laid her head against my chest and placed her hand beside it. I heard her murmur, "I just knew it would be wonderful."

We sat quietly. I don't know how long we were just sitting, holding each other. Sometime Laura moved off my lap again and leaned against me. We had dropped off to sleep I suppose. We were both startled awake when my home phone rang. We both jumped and Laura jumped up. I stood and walked into the office to answer. "Is this Ron?"

"Yes. Can I help you?"

"Ron this is Connie Childs. I'm getting worried Ron. Laura was going to bring you a pie she baked for you today and it's getting late. She hasn't come home yet. Have you seen her? We held supper for her but when she didn't come...Well, it's after midnight and she hasn't called or anything. Can you help me out here?"

I laughed and let my mouth override my asshole. I said, "Yeah, I think I can find her for you Connie. We were sleeping and time got away..."

I heard a gasp from Laura and Connie almost at the same time and said, "NO! That's not what I mean. I mean we fell asleep after we got done with supper and..."

By now I could hear Laura laughing in the background. She finally took pity on me and took the phone from my hand. She said, "Mother? I'm sorry. I was going to leave the pie and come right home but he keeps his gate locked. I had to walk to his house from the road then he hadn't eaten and wanted to visit while he cooked. Somehow he made me eat supper with him then we had dessert and some wine and..."

Laura giggled once more and continued, "Yes Mother, I suppose you could say I was sleeping with him but not like that. We were sitting on his couch with our wine and we both dropped off to sleep. We'd probably still be sleeping if you hadn't called. I'm sorry I worried you. I just didn't realize how late it is. I'll be home soon. Love you. Bye."

Laura placed the cordless phone back in its holder and looked at me with mirth in her eyes. She smiled and said, "Well, now we're in it. I suppose I better get home and let Mom get to sleep. She'll never go to bed until I get there safely."

Laura looked at me a moment then reached out to gently touch my face. She smiled and said, "I had a fun time tonight Ron. Thanks for supper and the conversation." She stood on her tiptoes and gave me a gentle kiss and hurried to the door. She was outside before I remembered she had walked from her car. I rushed to the door and said, "Wait Laura. I'll drive you to the gate."

I didn't get much sleep that night. Every time I got drowsy I began to think about Laura. The next morning I got up at my regular time but I wasn't worth much. About eleven I got a phone call from my attorney. My case was scheduled for hearing finally and he wanted to touch base on some things. I told him I could come to town that day so off I went.

That evening on the way home I took the cake pan and the pie pan Laura had brought to my home back to her. I drove into their farm lot and saw her walking toward the house from the machine shed. She was dressed in worn Levis, a blue chambray shirt, boots and hat. She was covered in dirt and dust. When she saw me she turned toward my truck.

As I walked up to her she was beating her clothes with her hat trying to knock some of the dust from her. She was blushing. "Hello Ron. What are you doing here?"

I smiled and held up the two containers. She smiled and said, "Ohhh, I'm a mess. Come on in." She led me into the kitchen where I saw Connie working, preparing supper for her crew.

After we greeted each other Laura turned to me and said, "Give me a minute. I have to get out of these dirty clothes."

Connie looked at me with a small smile. I raised the containers and started to say I was returning them when she took them from my hands. She broke in saying, "Ron I don't know whether to beat you or what to do with you. You kids had me worried sick the other evening. Now, sit. You can either go into the living room or sit here and keep me company while we wait on my wayward daughter." Connie turned back to her task.

I elected to sit at the kitchen table where I could talk to Connie. Almost before I was seated she placed a frosty glass of unsweetened ice tea in front of me. While we visited I heard a shower. In what I considered way too short a time I heard footsteps and turned the direction they were coming from. I felt my mouth drop open. There was a vision of loveliness standing in the doorway. Laura had cleaned up and put on a sundress that came to her mid thigh. She had the wet head look from washing her hair and no make up. Her nipples were tenting out the front of her dress and I found myself wondering if she had any panties on since it was obvious she had on no bra. I felt my cock twitch.

1...345678