Fire and Ash Ch. 02

Story Info
The neighborhood gossip is taken in hand.
6.9k words
4.68
33.8k
17

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 06/14/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I still can't believe you told Laurie I lived in the garage."

"Naked."

"Well, I can believe you'd say it, but that she would believe it? No way! I mean, come on! Look at the size of that thing. And with your truck in there? You can barely get around it."

"Well, you could have slept in the bed."

Hi. I'm Ashley. Mack's a dear, but if I hadn't saved him he'd have turned into one of those old men you see with a week's beard on his face and food stains on his chest. It's not that he's naturally a slob, but living alone let his personal standards slip.

We were stretched out on the couch when we had that convo. I was tucked into Mack's arms - his hands resting lightly on my breasts, and I could hear him inhaling the softly apricot aroma of my hair (he likes that). It had been three months since Laurie had come snooping and he had fed her the bogus story about me living naked in the garage. Mack and I had chosen to ignore the gossip even as we laughed at the more outrageous bits: I was actually his daughter and we were in an incestuous relationship, I had intentionally burned my house to get close to him, I'd divorced my husband because I was having an affair with him. If nothing else, they were imaginative. And Laurie seemed to be at the heart of many of them.

"You know we can't let this continue."

"Us? I'd hate to think we'd break up over some gossip."

"No silly," I said to him; "I mean Laurie and her gossip. I think I'm going to invite her over ... tomorrow ... it's time she and I had a little heart to heart."

"Do you want me here for backup? I can standby with a chainsaw. We could bury her behind the garage. No one ever goes back there."

"That's because of all the junk. No dear, I can handle Miss Laurie. I want you to go elsewhere - I think we can talk a little more freely that way."

******

Ashley's house was nearing completion. The outside was done, sheet rock, electric and plumbing finished. The painters were due next week. We knew the rumors that had quieted would pick back up when the house was done and she didn't move back in. But we had settled that; she belonged with me, and by god I definitely belonged with her.

My bed -our bed -never felt better. Every night I had this lovely woman beside me, breathing softly in my ear; often holding my hand against her belly (do you know how sensuous a sleeping woman's belly feels?) and then she'd wake me with light kisses – and sometimes not so light caresses. I never want an empty bed again. I couldn't take it.

*******

Hoover and I took off on errands before Laurie showed up and were gone close to two hours. He was a great traveling companion; always standing between the front seats, making sure I drove properly, and of course making sure I stopped at Ruth's Drive Thru Coffee so he'd get a biscuit.

When I went into the kitchen the two women were sipping coffee and smiling while they talked. Damn! I was lookin' forward to burying her under the old Studebaker.

"Hi Mack, would you like a cup? I'm afraid the coffee cake is all gone."

"Nah, I'll go busy myself out in the garage."

"Mack ..." Laurie piped up; "I'm sorry about everything I've been saying about you and Ashley. I didn't realize ... I mean, I guess I wasn't thinking about how I look to the neighborhood. I'm, I'm really sorry. Ashley says she has never been happier except for the gossip."

Now I felt like a heel. I don't know why - hell, I hadn't done anything wrong. "Ah, it's alright. Excuse me, I'm gonna go out to the garage now."

*******

Laurie began hangin' out at our house and the more she was around the better I got to know her. Yeah, I know - big surprise. She turned out to be an interesting woman, college educated -she'd married right after graduation and never put her degree to any use. Ten years later she was just another suburban housewife with time on her hands.

*******

The first time Laurie and I had coffee I could feel how lonely she really was. Her husband was constantly on the road ((he's in sales), and her only friends were the Castlemire twins, and Mrs. Hoffman – the biggest gossips in the neighborhood, and all at least twenty years her senior. I had an idea of how things were for her because I'd been through something similar until I got a job; all the other women in the neighborhood worked – she was left with the gossips.

*******

Most of the time I didn't mind Laurie being around - hell, she and Ashley could talk about stuff I had no idea about, and I could see that made both of 'em happy. I'd join them, thinking I was the man and I knew all about everything. Nope. They showed me how I was stuck way back there somewhere, while time and history moved on. And I didn't mind because they helped me learn; not just about current political events, but about health, climate change, and the economy beyond the stock market. Hell, I even learned the right way to prepare something called gazpacho – but I still haven't tried it. Yet.

The more Laurie hung out at my place, the more she smiled and the more relaxed she looked. I couldn't help but notice just how good looking she was as the lines relaxed around her face. She must have been a traffic stopper in college. Christ, she may have been a jaw dropper in junior high.

'Course the gossip never let up; there were plenty of bored women (and a few old men) who had nothin' to do but talk about their neighbors. The few stories I heard had included Laurie; I guess proving that if you aren't with us we'll talk about you. Anyway – she'd be over at our house most Saturdays and Sundays - if her husband wasn't home - about ten for coffee and talkin'. The women could discuss anything they wanted, but I noticed they never talked about the neighbors. Politics, weather, travel – anything but. Laurie had a sharp mind; she could drill to the heart of an issue -pro or con – in just a few sentences. I had to admire that.

*******

It was a Tuesday night in November when Laurie came over. Her eyes were all red, her face looked blotchy, and she wasn't her usual neat self. Her husband had been in a traffic accident in Cleveland and she had to go to him, but asked if Ashley would accompany her; there was no one else she could rely on.

*******

The phone call was a surprise. "Mack, it's worse than we thought. Carl is on life support ... and there was a woman in the car with him."

"Oh crap. It wasn't just something innocent was it?"

"I'm afraid not. It seems she was a regular for him every time he was in Cleveland. And she's married. Her husband has been here and he's been yelling at Laurie – as if it's her fault. I've done what I can to keep him away, and maybe he's settling down now so I hope he's realizing Carl cheated on Laurie."

"Any idea how much longer you'll be there?"

"No, he's in Intensive Care and hasn't regained consciousness since they brought him in.

*******

After the funeral Laurie was at my house constantly; all during the week, weekends ... hell, she was having dinner with us most nights. She was seriously cutting into my time with Ashley. I couldn't even work on my truck during the day.

"Honey, we need to do something about her. She spends so much time over here I'm about ready to charge her rent."

"She's just trying to get over her husband, we have to support her. She's our friend and needs us."

"Maybe so - but I'm not getting anything done and I don't see her getting any better mopin' around here. She's more underfoot than Hoover! She needs a job or somethin' to take her mind off that cheater."

"I know, I know ... hmm ... maybe she'd volunteer at the hospital ... we're always looking for help over there."

*******

It was a Friday when Laurie announced she wanted to go clubbing and asked Ashley to go with her. I know I was dubious, and Ashley really looked unsure, but still she agreed.

Ashley dressed for the night, and I'll tell you she looked nice! One of those simple black dresses that fit just right; snug in all the right places and ending mid-thigh. With her auburn hair she looked stunning.

When Laurie came in the look was a bit different; a deep cleavage green dress that barely covered her ass, lots of makeup, and her blonde hair piled high. I was dubious before, now alarm bells were going off in my head! Ashley was taken aback. I think she would have backed out at that point, except she'd promised to accompany Laurie.

Needless to say – I didn't exactly relax while they were gone.

******

When Laurie came in and I saw how she was dressed my heart sank. I'd had misgivings about this before, but now ... But I had promised I'd go with her... so off we went.

The first two stops went well with us grabbing a bite to eat and sipping at our wine, but when we hit the third, well let's just say everything went to hell.

This was one of those hyper places with lots of twenty-somethings drinking heavily and pawing at each other. Laurie said; "Now this is what I call clubbing!"

She led the way, pulling me by my hand and pushing up to the bar; with her breasts almost popping out she had the bartender's eye and quickly ordered a martini. I decided my drinking was over for the night and just asked for club soda.

Laurie wasted no time downing her first drink and had another coming instantly. Only when she had that one half gone did she slow down and look around. Her eyes lit on one blond young man standing with several others; with the wiggle of a finger she had his attention and moments later standing at her side. "Hi, I'm Laurie, how would you like to dance with me?"

He mumbled something – maybe it was a name – and they pushed out to the crowded "dance floor". She was all over him, and his hands were busy exploring her. When they disappeared up her leg she just pushed against him more.

I was distracted when one of Blondie's friends began conversing with me. He seemed pleasant enough, if a bit distracted. When he looked towards the dance floor, my gaze followed his - they were gone. He excused himself and sauntered toward the back of the club. I thought nothing about it, after all the rest rooms were back that way. But as I looked around, and didn't see Laurie I became concerned; sure she's an adult, and I'm not her keeper, but she'd been out of the dating and bar hopping scene for quite a while.

I found her in an alcove. I almost passed it as I just saw a group of men standing together, laughing. Then I realized one was Blondie. Laurie was on her knees, her dress pulled down and one of the men mauling her breasts. Even over the background bar noise I could hear her muffled whimper. Muffled because she was sucking Blondie's cock! Suddenly he was spewing cum all over her face and chest, and then with a laugh stepped back and zipped his pants. As he turned toward me two more men stepped forward; pressing hardened cocks into Laurie's upturned face. Blondie laughed again as he walked past me; "You've got a great piece there, for an old bitch. Why don't you join her and I'll be back in a few, you look good too."

As I ran up to her more cum spewed onto her; covering her hair, face, and chest. I grabbed her arm, dragging her to her feet and towards the exit. She was still bare from the waist up and the crowd jeered as we left. I took a moment to fix her dress and then we walked the several blocks back to the car, and yes, she still had semen on her face and hair. The women we passed gave her nothing but disgusted glares. In the car I handed her tissues and drove home.

When we got to her place she headed straight to the bathroom, heaving insanely until she could do nothing but weep.

"Ashley, what did I do? How could I do that? Oh God, I'm going to be sick again ..."

I called Mack, told him we were at Laurie's and that I might be spending the night. The dear offered to come right over, but I convinced him it wouldn't be a good idea. I think he understood what I was telling him, but the worry in his voice came through crystal clear.

After making sure she took a long shower, I dried Laurie and tucked her into bed. I found a blanket and curled up on the couch – listening to her crying until she fell asleep.

********

Ashley came home the next morning, looking as if she'd had maybe two hours sleep. She wouldn't say much about the previous night, but the little I did get didn't sound good. She slept until early afternoon, showered, and then joined me in the den. I turned off the football game and waited for her to talk. She didn't say much though - she just curled up against me holding my arm tightly. She did fall asleep ... and I never moved. A couple hours later she woke, and I brought her some coffee (after shaking my arm awake in the kitchen) and held her while she told me what had happened.

The more I heard the angrier I got; not at Laurie, certainly not Ashley, but if I could get my hands on the little pricks that took advantage of Laurie – well, let's just say they wouldn't be sticking their dicks in anyone's face for a long time.

We had a long talk, and Ashley told me about her sleepless night; "Mack, I laid there listening to her cry until she slept, and my heart broke. I couldn't sleep. All I could do was rerun that night and try to see how I could have saved her from that horrid experience. Somewhere in the early hours I came to a revelation; I love her. Not as a sister or a friend – more, but I don't know what or how to do anything about that. Mack ... I've never been in love with a woman before. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. And I love you. Maybe I'm just tired still. Maybe I just need more sleep. But to lie there – listening to her cry ..."

*******

Laurie didn't come over for several days, and when she did her head was down and she wouldn't look at me. I let it go the first day, but when she pulled the same crap the next day I confronted her. Not to be mean – god no –but this had to be faced, sure she screwed up, but I didn't like her any less. In fact, I'd been thinking about my feelings toward Laurie also. I knew I really liked her, but anything more ... I didn't know.

I came in the back door, stomping mud off in the mud room and then heading for the coffee pot. As I passed them at the table Laurie turned away from me. She'd never done that before her misadventure!

"Laurie, is there something wrong with me?"

"N ... no."

"Then why won't you look at me?"

She started sniffling, and Ashley started to intervene but a wave of my hand and she sat back – watching. I stepped in front of Laurie and as gently as I could I lifted her chin so she was looking in my eyes: "Is it because of what happened?" She nodded slightly. "What happened was unfortunate, and let's face it – you made a couple bad choices that night. But that hasn't changed my opinion of you. Hey, if we were all perfect what a boring world this would be. When you come in here, come in as proud as any beautiful woman has a right to be."

"Mme? I'm not beautiful. Ashley is ... but not me ..."

I looked over at Ashley who was watching with an unusual look. She lifted an eyebrow as if to say; "Now what are you going to do?"

I took a deep breath as I gathered my thoughts. This wasn't going quite as easily as I had somehow imagined. "Laurie – I have come to appreciate just how smart you are; way more than me, but you let your grief overcome your smarts. And that's how you got into that spot. But it's not like you're the first woman to make that mistake. It happened. But Ashley got you out before it got any worse and you're with a couple people that care for you. Now, as for the beautiful part – I've seen many beautiful legs in my day, and Ashley's are right up there with the best ..." I gave a little nod in her direction; "But I've got to say yours are a grade above that. Add that to a lovely figure, a face that makes me smile when I see you, blonde hair that sometimes looks like a halo, and a laugh that is full of warmth. Put all that together and I realize ... and Ashley I hope you understand ... Laurie, I just realized that I love you."

I'm pretty sure they both gasped – there isn't that good an echo in the kitchen – I looked over at Ashley again and her hands were curled at her mouth and her eyes were huge. I don't think she was breathing as she looked back at me. Only after she gave me the smallest of nods did I turn back. Laurie's eyes were just as big, but her hands were clenched in her lap.

"Look, I'm not the greatest at expressing myself ... two grunts and a nod is a full paragraph from me, but I realize I, well maybe we, love you. You've become more than just a friend ... what happens to you matters to us, so I guess that's love alright. So when you come in here, you're part of our family now."

After that long (for me) speech I started edging towards the back door – I felt like I'd said more than enough to make her feel better; Nope, I'd just opened the biggest can of what if ever.

Laurie took my hand in both of hers and just looked between Ashley and me a couple times with the biggest pair of eyes I'd ever seen – and when she looked right at me it was like I was looking deep into her soul. I felt a shiver go down my spine; not a cold one, just a realization that something major was happening. "You love me? Really? You're not just saying that are you Mack? Because I couldn't take it if this was just a joke."

Then she looked over at Ashley; "Both? He said 'both'. Does that mean you also?"

Ashley was all teared up, and could only nod before she rose, walked the couple steps to Laurie, and they wrapped arms around each other. I stood there for a minute or two watching them crying and whispering to each other, then mumbled something about the garage and got out of there. Didn't even grab up my coffee.

*******

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Mack fleeing for the safety of his garage. Poor dear, he'd opened a door I'd been trying to ignore. Sure I told Mack I loved her, but I thought I meant as a very good friend. But as he talked to her I knew it was much more, and I could see in Mack's eyes the same thing. I held Laurie for a couple minutes more, just reassuring her, smoothing her hair, brushing a cheek. She turned to me, as if to say something, but I just lightly brushed her lips with mine –silencing her. She looked into my eyes and just groaned as she pulled me to her. I don't know how long we were like that – it seemed forever, yet instantaneous, my world stopped and spun off into space, all at the same time. When we did part I held her cheek to my breast and caressed her hair again. "Mack's right; I do love you. I realized it while I lay on your couch listening to you cry."

"Oh God Ash ...I ... I love you too ... and Mack ... and ... I don't know what to do ... "

"Shh ... we'll work it out ... don't worry ... I love you ... Mack loves you ... let's just let this develop, no rush, no hurry."

We kissed and hugged and kissed again, and then she said she had to go home and think. I kissed her all the way to the door, not wanting her to go, and yet I understood her need to assimilate everything.

After Laurie left I went out to the garage, Mack had his head buried under the dash – his feet hanging out the driver side door. Hoover was up on the seat watching him. "Mack ... Mack! Honey, we need to talk"

*******

"We need to talk." If ever there is a phrase men dread, that's the one.

So I crawled out of the truck, wiping my hands and screwing myself up for a royal ass-chewing.

I got something else instead. "Did you really mean it when you told Laurie you love her? You'd better, because I told her the same thing just now, and if you were just trying to make her feel good .... Well that's going to backfire on you. She's at a delicate stage right now, that club incident shows how low her self-esteem is; hell, Carl cheating was like ripping her heart out. She can't take another rejection."

12