First Step Ch. 01

Story Info
Distraught wife takes first step.
1.7k words
4.23
17.2k
3
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Proofread by Ton8ty. Thank you for all the effort and hard work.

==================

Day 1

I'm heading down the interstate, crying uncontrollably over the scene I had witnessed when I came home from work four hours early. My boss had come in earlier to announce that we were ahead of schedule and could take the rest of the evening off with pay. I was so excited to get home to Rob and spend an evening together making love. Wanting to surprise him, I quietly entered the apartment, took off my shoes, and walked to our bedroom door. I found him in our bed with his buddy's wife. They didn't see me or stop as my tears started to flow; all I knew was I had to get out.

Dashing back to the door, I grabbed my shoes and purse and ran for the car. I didn't even put on my shoes on, just backed out and left to put as much distance between me and them as I could. I stopped long enough to fill the tank and call Joe to tell him about his slut wife; I was hoping he'd go kill Rob and I didn't care. I wanted someone else to share my grief and pain.

An hour later, I'm two states away and decide to pull in at a rest stop to try to get my emotions under control. I cry for another hour before I finally run out of tissues. I resign myself to the fact that I'm going to have to get out of the car and go to the public restroom in search of something. Everyone stares at me as I walk toward the building. I finally make it inside, look into the mirror and see my face is as red as my eyes; my makeup is streaked down my face. I splash cold water on my face and use the harsh paper towels to dry it. I try to tell myself that he's not worth crying about, but my tears keep coming.

I feel the light touch of a hand on my arm and turn to find an elderly lady standing there. Her eyes are full of compassion and she asks if there is anything she can do to help me. I shake my head and mumble that I'll be fine in a bit. I just don't feel like sharing my story just yet. She leaves and I, once again, splash water on my face trying to calm down. Grabbing a whole bunch of paper towels, I stuff them in my purse.

Getting myself as reasonably under control as much as possible, I finally leave the restroom. Noticing an ATM machine in the lobby, I withdraw the max the card will allow and go back out to the car. I continue to drive until I'm so tired my eyes will barely stay open and decide to find a motel in the next town. It's not much, but at least the "Vacancy" sign is lit. I always have a small overnight bag packed in the car in case of emergencies, so I wasn't worried about clothing or necessities. I check in, get to the room, strip down and, basically, collapse on the bed.

Day 2

It is mid-afternoon by the time I wake up the next day. I look out the window at the bright sunshine and the people coming and going. Glancing at my watch, I decide to call my boss to let him know that I won't be in. He's upset until I break down and tell him what has happened. He's asks if I'm coming back and I tell him I can't really answer that question. I told him I'll come back once I know that Rob has shipped out again. I just don't want to hear any of his lies. My boss tells me to take the rest of the week off and let him know what I decide the following Monday. I agree and shut down my phone.

I go into the little bathroom and turn on the shower. The hot water feels good against my skin and helps revive me a bit. I really had no idea what I was going to do next, but my stomach growled to let me know that it's been hours since I've eaten anything. I quickly finish cleaning up, get dressed and head across the street to the diner I saw from my window. After a big breakfast-brunch, I knew I had to start thinking things through.

Crossing back again to the motel, I notice a bar a couple of buildings down. I walk over to it and they are just opening. That's okay with me as I need the darkness and solitude to think. I haven't smoked in years, but buy a pack of cigarettes. I order bourbon and ask the bartender if he has any matches. I take both over to a table in the corner and sit with my back to the wall. Lighting up a cigarette, I slowly nurse my drink, trying to mentally figure out my next steps divorce being at the top of the list. I feel a tear starting to run down my face again and wipe it away with the back of my hand.

I've been there for five hours, smoking and nursing drink number two. I guess the local happy hour is starting, but I ignore the laughter of the people in the bar. I order one more drink, figuring it will be my last one as I've almost run out of cigarettes. Maybe I'm numb from the alcohol, but I can't really tell; I was numb to start with. Several men try to hit on me, but I ignore them and they finally leave me alone. I crush out my last cigarette, swallow the rest of my drink and leave.

I walk back to my room, strip and again collapse on the bed.

Day 3

I wake the next day with a slight hangover, but go through the same routine as the day before. I cross to the diner for a meal and then head over to the bar. Cigarettes and bourbon in hand, I sit down at the same table. I stare at my drink and take a good healthy swallow before lighting up this time. The day progresses much as the day before and I'm still there when happy hour starts. Today I'm into my third drink and only halfway through the pack of cigarettes.

I man in a business suit sits down at my table uninvited. I plan on ignoring him as I did all the others the day before. I light up another cigarette and he tells me that those things will kill me. I look up into his eyes and tell him I'm already dead so what does it matter. He tells me his name is Rob; just what I need, another Rob in my life. I ask him to go away and leave me alone, but he doesn't. I order another drink and he suggests I should try some coffee instead. I ignore him and drink my bourbon. He tells me that he'll be glad to listen if I need someone to talk to. I shake my head and continue with my routine. I Finishing my last cigarette, I drain the bourbon and leave without talking to him.

Day 4

I wake up with a huge hangover. When I cross over to the diner, I buy some aspirin as well as a meal. Afterwards, I return to my room instead of the bar and just rest. I close my eyes to take a nap and wake around nine that night. I make my way to the bar and my table is still there. The bartender asks if I want my usual and I tell him to bring me a coffee, instead. I sit there nursing the coffee and the man in the suit sits down again, uninvited. He smiles and says he's happy to see I'm not smoking and drinking tonight. I give a slight smile and ask him if his offer is still open, admitting I'd like to talk to someone now.

We sit for another hour, both drinking coffee and quietly talking. I unburden myself with all that has happened. When I finally finish, we sit quietly for a while and he asks if I've decided on my next steps. I tell him that I couldn't think of anything except that I wanted a divorce. I admitted that, after fifteen years of marriage, it seemed I was the only one trying to make it work. Now, I'm tired of trying. He asks if I had a prenup or children and I shake my head.

Rob tells me he's a lawyer and would like to help me if that's what I wanted. I tell him I live three states away and he tells me it isn't a problem. He asks what I do for a living and I tell him. I told him about the conversation with my boss, but that I really didn't want to go back and be so near to my cheating husband. He asks for my boss's name and company; I give it to him and he writes it down on a pad he pulls from his vest pocket. After our conversation ends, I go back to my room and take a hot bath, feeling a bit calmer.

Day 5

I wake up early and cross over for breakfast. I buy a newspaper and return to my room afterwards. I am reading through the first section when the phone rings. Hesitantly, I pick it up to answer it. It's Rob from the bar and he asks if I can come to his office. I agree and he gives me the address. It's within walking distance, so I leave the car parked where it is. He's made quite a few phone calls that morning and tells me I have several options. The first step is to file the divorce papers. The second step, and he's says it's just an option, but the company I work for has another office nearby and they would be glad to approve a transfer for me. He also informs me that he contacted the military base where my husband is stationed and apparently he is in the hospital after being beaten up by unknown assailants. I smile at that news, but my heart is thanking Joe. I agree to all the options and pay Rob a retainer fee.

*****

Would you like a Chapter 2? Your votes and comments are welcomed.