Following the Feeling Ch. 02

Story Info
Bad Alpha, learn some manners.
4.4k words
4.66
83.5k
67

Part 2 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 09/25/2008
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, Náčelník, you've managed to kill an enemy without questioning him first and kidnapped two humans. This has been a busy night even for you."

Grayson sighed as Lena, the reigning Alpha female, joined him in the security control room. It was a favorite spot of his, a quiet escape from the pack while being able to watch them all. Lena teased him for his voyeuristic tendency even while supporting his desire to keep tabs on the goings on of the pack. She brushed her fingers through his hair in greeting then also took a seat in front of the monitors.

"I didn't kidnap anyone," Gray said after a few moments. "See?"

Following his pointing to one of the lower monitors she saw a man sitting in the restaurant's kitchen sipping from a mug. He was talking with a few pack members and his posture seemed relaxed. It was around 2 A.M, but the restaurant staff was still cleaning up for the day and preparing for tomorrow. Her eyes drifted to the monitors in the club and they too were escorting out the last few patrons and cleaning. She swept her eyes over the two dozen or so screens and asked, "I was told there was a female, where is she?"

"She's sleeping in the infirmary," he replied pointing briefly to a darkened screen.

"Infirmary? I was told they were both unharmed." Gray huffed, "You've been told a lot of information and yet seem to know nothing of the situation. She's fine, just sleeping. The doctor checked her vitals and other than a somewhat high pulse rate everything is normal. Her friend said she has insomnia and will sometimes suddenly lose consciousness when stressed. I imagine seeing what she did she became stressed."

"And you yelled at her," Lena said with a smile. Again brushing his hair she continued, "Funny how you didn't mention that."

Grayson caught her hand and held it in his own. The physical connection was soothing to them both and strengthened their partnership. Even though they had sex in the past, the two Alphas worked together as partners. Neither had in interest in each other as mates and when Alistair, the current Beta, had championed into his rank he also won Lena's heart. The stir caused by such unusual circumstances abated when it became clear Alistair wasn't going to challenge Grayson for Alpha rank. He was happy in his position and the three remained close as leaders and friends. As a combined force of strength, intelligence and business acumen they had achieved both financial and physical security for the pack.

"It seems I too was stressed," he finally admitted. "An attack that close and we didn't sense it? That close to public exposure? And the only reason we caught him was because some stranger freaked out a waiter and then led me to the scene? It was just too fantastic."

"Unsettling indeed," Lena agreed, "someone should have sensed that Derek was in trouble. I've sent out some scouts to follow attacker's scent trail, hopefully they will be able to backtrack to his territory and then we'll know who is responsible. We'll question the humans before sending them on their way, but initial reports conclude that they were not involved in the attack." Lena sighed deeply, "Of course we'll have to make sure they won't run straight to the press or police. We can scare them into believing we'll rip them apart if they talk, but it seems so archaic and tedious."

"You used to like scaring the humans, when did you get soft?" Gray laughed at Lena's scowl. Her eyes narrowed further and then flicked over to the monitors.

"If you don't behave, Náčelník, I'll send you to deal with the humans alone. And from what I can see they are a handful."

Gray followed her gaze back to the infirmary monitors. Beside the one showing Derek bandaged up and sleeping, the camera that monitors the hallway displayed the human female exiting her room. She slowly padded down the hallway pausing briefly at Derek's door then continued on. The Alpha pair silently watched her from screen to screen as she made her way through the mazelike hallways and stairs. She moved unhurriedly, but seemed to have a destination. At some point on the second floor she stopped midstride, turned to the wall and reached out her hand. She looked around for a few minutes and wandered up and down the hallway, but always returned the same spot. After awhile she simply stood facing the wall with her head slightly tilted to the side.

"I guess I should go see what she's looking for," Grayson stated.

Lena shook her head, "I'll go with you. After your last encounter she may be wary of you, big, bad wolf that you are."

Kiera woke up in an unfamiliar darkened room. She felt moderately well rested and figured she'd slept for several hours. Unsettled by her memories of the evening and not sensing Gareth near-by, she quickly got up and exited the room. To her relief she was still in her clothes although she couldn't find her purse. She wondered if she had even taken her purse when leaving the restaurant in her rush to escape. Kiera turned left and stopped at the next door. Inside was the man from the alley. She could tell he was resting, but the distress was noticeable. Taking a moment pick up Gareth's trail she continued down the hallway. The place was huge and quiet. A few people passed her, but they didn't make eye contact or speak to her. She could feel their curiosity, but she was hesitant to ask for directions. If what she thought was true then she wasn't about to initiate contact if they were willing to let her pass. Kiera stopped in the middle of yet another hallway and turned right. She could feel Gareth's presence on the other side. He felt okay, not scared or threatened, and even a bit jovial. She rolled her eyes that he could be cheerful in almost any situation, but she supposed that's one of the things she liked about him. She searched the hallway for an entrance, but each direction seemed to lead away rather than towards where she wanted to go. Frustrated she returned to the spot and tried to figure out what to do next. Soon she felt a presence nearing, but remained rooted in her spot. Hiding, she figured, was probably futile.

"Can we help you?" a male voice asked.

The voice and the words were an echo from earlier. Tapping on the wall she replied, "I want to be there."

Grayson and Lena exchanged bemused glances. Stepping forward and into the woman's line of sight she said, "Hello, my name is Lena and this is Grayson. I believe you met him earlier although haven't been introduced. We'd like to help you if you can tell us what you need."

Kiera turned to face the speaker whose face reflected the same curiosity and quiet strength that flowed over Kiera's senses. She always liked honest people and this Lena was no exception, even if she may not really be people.

"Hi. Sorry about being short, but I'm just trying to find my friend and he's on the other side of this wall, but I can't figure out how to get there. So, in short, I want to be there."

Lena nodded, "Okay we can get you there, but maybe on the way we could have a little chat? Maybe start with your name and then how you do that."

"What?"

"Find your friend through the wall." Lena smiled and turned back the way they came. "This way."

Kiera turned her attention to the man called Grayson. He stood silently assessing her, but didn't exude the same aggression from earlier. The mistrust was still there, but also a curiosity. As if she was the oddity in this place. Ha. A gray eyed man named Grayson, now that's odd, she thought, quickly followed by, Handsome though, for a brute.

Shaking her head as Grayson's eyes sharpened, Kiera moved to follow Lena.

"You name?" Lena asked.

"Kiera. I've already told him," with a thumb gesture behind her where Grayson paced along, "that I'm empathic which is how I knew that something was happening back in the alley and it's how I know where Gareth is. I tried to follow his trail, but the traffic around here is too heavy and I lost it. Then I picked him up again, but ended up at the wall."

"Interesting," Lena nodded at the elevators, "I don't think I've ever met an empath. So you're saying you can track down someone just by, what, following their feelings?"

Kiera shrugged, "Kind of. I can't just find anyone; I can sense Gareth because I know him so well. His...emotional patterns are familiar to me so it's easier for me to pick him out. If you hid from me I probably couldn't find you since I don't know you that well. With familiarity comes recognition, does that make sense?"

"It makes perfect sense," Lena replied with a half smile. She imagined Kiera's tracking by feelings was similar to their tracking by smell.

Grayson was reaching the same conclusions but asked, "How is it that you found Derek? Thomas, the waiter, said you were acting strangely before you left the restaurant. Outside I saw you hardly hesitated before heading down the alley. How do you know Derek?"

Kiera sensed that his question was not antagonistic, but still felt the sting of his previous accusations. Handsome or not, this man was not to be trusted no matter what her sense told her. He was large, intense and capable of great violence. The power that pulsed from Lena was dwarfed by force of this man's presence.

"I don't know him," she began, "but I told you I knew something was wrong."

She stopped as they went through a doorway into a hall lined with offices. At the far end was a white door with a round window in it. A kitchen? What was this place, she wondered. However she couldn't deny that Gareth's presence was stronger here.

"Because you sensed it," Grayson interrupted her thoughts.

"Yes. It was sudden and strong and terrible. It's like this," she said pausing to face them both, "everyone is like a radio. Most radios are quiet background noise, it's there but it doesn't really distract you...or me as it were. With practice I can guess what someone is doing or thinking based on their emotional response, uh, like hearing a low melody and recognizing the words to the song. So it's like the radios are on all the time and I get used to them being there. Then sometimes someone's "emotional radio" is turned all the way up and I can't ignore it. That's what happened last night. Your friend's radio was screaming in my head and I chose to check it out instead of walk away. Although, in hindsight, I really should have hopped in a cab."

"We're grateful you didn't," Lena expressed. Shrugging Kiera turned away from them and walked through the white door. Sure enough Gareth sat at a large marble counter jabbering away with some hot waiter. Not the waiter from earlier, she noted.

"I'm fine, thanks for asking. I know it was hard to break away from my bedside, but I'm glad you seem to be staying strong."

Grinning Gareth hugged her to his side and said, "My little Kit-Kat, I knew you would be just fine. And Donny here makes the best coffee, I had to stay awake while you slumbered, sleeping beauty."

"Good news, I'm up. Let's go home." With that she tried to pull him to his feet.

Watching their antics Grayson felt an illogical desire to separate them. The man was obviously gay and she was obviously just ready to leave, but he had a difficult time suppressing the impulse. He evaluated her appearance: above average height, short brown hair in what Lena referred to as a pixie cut, eyes that seemed green, but he'd sworn they were blue in the infirmary, average build, almost everything about her said "nothing special." Except she was empathic and she saved one of his men and she stood up against his anger and she seemed to lack any artifice, but remained a mystery and that no matter what something whispered "special" when he looked at her. Disgusted he wondered if he really just needed to go hunting, but for game far more satisfying than food. He smiled briefly at that thought, but stopped when Kiera flicked her eyes towards him. Ah yes, lust is an emotion she can probably pick up.

"Let's go, Gareth," she insisted.

Lena again stepped forward. "Kiera, I'm sure you'd like nothing better than to go home to rest, but there are some things we need to discuss first. Perhaps Donny can prepare a midnight snack while we talk?"

Donny hopped up at Lena's polite order and asked, "What would you like? How about peppered steak with onion risotto?"

"Sound delectable, Donny, but I was thinking sandwiches," Lena replied. "Perhaps the peppered steak for dinner tomorrow...rather tonight."

Bowing his head Donny rushed across to the walk in fridge to complete his Alpha's order. Lena and Grayson led the two back into the hallway and into one of the offices. It was orderly, but quite obviously used often. Grayson sat behind the desk and Lena pulled one of the chairs around to his side so she could sit facing the two wary humans. She looked at Grayson who nodded his assent and then began.

"First I'd like to express my gratitude for your help tonight. We are not certain about many of the details of the attack you witnessed other than Derek would have died if not for you. I know you have questions and I'd like to give you the opportunity to ask them, but I must say this first. What you have stumbled into is very sensitive. It is in all of our best interests that what transpired this evening does not become known to the public. If we are to trust you as we'd like to do, we must ensure you will respect our wishes in this regard. Now where should I begin?"

Gareth's question was interrupted by a knocking at the door.

"Enter," Grayson commanded.

Donny came in arms laden with a large tray of sandwiches and drinks. The four remained silent as he placed the tray on the desk, handed everyone a cloth napkin and exited. Kiera noted that he didn't make eye contact with anyone though his eyes did slide towards Gareth a few times. Gareth was quick to grab a plate, but

Kiera still had no appetite and if the clock on the wall was to be believed it would be time for breakfast soon.

Around a bite Gareth asked, "So...what's going on here? I mean obviously something big, but I just don't understand."

"A reasonable question. Let us say that what is considered fiction is often based on fact. The things you're told as children to fear in the dark are sometimes real. That creatures unknown to man exist and living side by side with you."

Gareth's expression remained confused so Lena looked to Kiera. "You above all should realize that there are things that are best kept secret."

"I know something is different about you and him and most of the others around here. But I'm not a mind reader, I don't know details. Determining what you are is beyond me so it's best if you just tell us."

"We're werewolves, shapeshifters, loup-garou, lycanthropes. Is that clear enough?" Grayson huffed. He appreciated Lena's diplomacy but he'd rather get to the point. "We are everything you've heard of and feared as children. We have big teeth and sharp claws and will use them if you tell anyone about us. So while Lena said it's in all of our best interests, it's mostly in your best interest, and those you love, for you to keep our secret."

"Gray!" Lena admonished. "Please don't be frightened by him he's just tired and has a lot on his mind."

Kiera smirked, "Yes I can see how that would make him threaten our lives and the lives of our loved ones. Really there's no need to scare us straight. I get that you have a big secret to keep and that a lot of people rely on you."

"Donny said you own the whole block," Gareth piped up. "I just thought you were big investors, silly me." "And honestly," Kiera continued, "I didn't have any intention to bring police or the media into this. I just want to go home, take a shower and resume my life. What happened tonight can just be left in the "things I'd rather not remember" bin of my memory. Gareth?"

He nodded but added, "I'm not likely to forget and if this is the only opportunity I'll have I would really like to ask some questions."

Gray was still imagining Kiera in the shower so Lena replied, "Of course you can ask whatever you like as long as it doesn't leave this room."

"My first question is if werewolves date humans and if so, is Donny single?"

Kiera's eyes widened at the question. Figuring he'd be busy for awhile learning all there is to know about werewolves she stood and headed for the door.

"Where are you going," Gray interrupted Lena's response.

"I think the more I know the harder it will be to assign said knowledge to "things I'd rather not remember" so I'm going to walk around." With that she walked out.

Gray exchanged glances with Lena who nodded before continuing her banter with Gareth. He stood to follow the human who was quickly becoming a pain and stopped outside the office door. Assured of their promise to keep quiet he really didn't have a need to keep watch over them. The pack won't engage them unless spoken to as were their orders around new people. It didn't matter if she wandered around; someone was always watching the security monitors. Her lack of curiosity irked him as did her flippant assurances. She's just been entrusted with a great secret, she should care. What kind of person doesn't care about finding out the truth about werewolves? The same kind that laughed at his threats, he supposed. Gray acknowledged that he had been rude to them. It was expected of him as a leader to recognize an error and make it right. Perhaps he should seek her out just to apologize. It was, after all, what an Alpha should do.

Kiera wandered through the kitchens into the dining room. With the lights on dim it was eerie and still beautiful. Elegance on pause, she thought. There were fewer wait staff around and she supposed most had gone home for the night. Were thy all werewolves? Is that sanitary? Didn't one of the myths she heard state that they were contagious? Shaking her head Kiera concluded that their big secret would not remain so if they were turning all their patrons into werewolves. Resigned to waiting for Gareth's questioning to end, his excitement and curiosity were palpable, she made her way through the dining room. In the back was a bar with a grand piano and hightop tables. The place was far more lavish that her bar, but it still felt like familiar ground. She chose one of the tables and settled in to wait.

She was making a mental list of things to do later today when she felt an approaching presence. This being followed habit was quickly wearing thin.

"I'm fine, thanks, just waiting for my friend to be done and then I'll be on my way."

Gray approached her table and sat. "I didn't come here to check up on you," he began. "I just wanted to apologize for my rudeness back there."

"Back where exactly? Back there in the emergency room place when you accused me of being a spy or back there in the office when you threatened my life?"

"Both," he replied through gritted teeth. He was finding it hard to be civil with this impertinent creature.

"Accepted," Kiera said with a raised eyebrow, "although your delivery needs work." They sat in silence for a few moments, he trying to stay in control and she willing Gareth to wrap it up. His frustration beat at her mind and she realized she'd been a bit rude herself.

"Thanks for, uh, letting me crash here for a few hours. I was really exhausted. And...nice place."

Accepting the olive branch Gray said, "I appreciate your compliment although I should mention that the best thing about Grazing is the food which you haven't yet tried."

"I meant to, but with all the excitement eating got put on the backburner. I had a really big lunch like twelve hours ago so I'm ... this place is called Grazing."

"It is," Gray replied trying to keep up with her conversational jump.

"Grayson the owner of Grazing with the gray eyes," she giggled. "And you serve Grey Goose at the bar, I love it."

Gray wondered if tonight's revelations tipped the mental scales out of her favor. He watched her giggle and was simultaneously charmed and worried.

12