For the Sake of an Empire Ch. 07

Story Info
An attempt is made against Marcus.
5.9k words
4.74
8.8k
0
4

Part 7 of the 9 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/01/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

For the Sake of an Empire Chapter 07

Before anything else, I just want to clarify that this is the author formerly known as Artistic Annonymity (Gawd that made me feel like an 80's pop star reject lol) and I have just changed names, using my middle name and the name I always intended to one day publiclly publish under. So in case anyone is scratching their heads, yep, its still me. Just a new suit so enjoy.

The following is a complete work of fiction inspired by Roman history, with a strong fantasy aspect for the use of artistic license. For those who wrote to me about this series regarding its lack of overly explicit sexual content, I will state for your peace of mind that it is NOT a stroke story. If that interests you, you'd be better off reading something else. This chapter actually has no sex in it, though I think the action sequences make up for it cause it's getting hot up in here!. Hopefully y'all agree.

Disclaimer:

The following story may contain erotic situations between consenting adults. If it is illegal for you to read this please leave now. Please do not copy or distribute the story without the author's permission.

Important -

Please feel free to send any feedback or comments through PM or you email me. I appreciate you taking two seconds to vote and leave a comment. And as always thanks to the people who have continued asking for this story and inspired me to do so. Sorry it's taken so long but I am on winter break so hope to finish cranking this and a few other outs. Thanks again!

-----------------------------

"My lady, come quickly!"

Portia's eyes narrowed in irritation, turning when the doors to her suite were thrown open hard enough to bang the heavy wood against the wall. The young woman in her doorway was breathless, her cheeks flushed with exertion.

Portia observed her coolly, continuing to move the brush through the hip length strands of her hair as if she had not been disturbed in her private moments.

"What is the meaning of this? I specifically asked not to be disturbed."

"Forgive me, my lady, but there has been an attempt made on Lord Aurelius's life."

The bone handle of the brush pressed tightly enough against Portia's hand to bruise, her grip tightening as her breath left her. "What did you say?"

"You lady servant, Gemella, attempted to assassinate Lord Marcus Aurelius. The guards are saying that she poisoned his wine with nightshade."

Portia forced herself to release a breath she hadn't realized she was holding until the edges of the world began to turn black. Her slender throat worked as she tried to swallow around the lump in her throat, smothering on her own disbelief.

The hair bush fell from her hand, clattering on the floor as she stood unsteadily, bracing herself with one arm on the side of her dressing table.

"My lady, are you all right?"

"Does he live?"

"My lady you do not look well."

"I asked you if he lives!"

The young woman jumped as the vase Portia threw, crashed into the wall by her head. Pieces of ceramic rained down on her, coating her in a fine dust that turned her black curls gray. Fear flickered in her eyes as she nodded quickly.

"Yes my lady, forgive me. He lives. He is in the great hall, demanding everyone congregate there. All of the servants are being questioned. They believe that it is a conspiracy against the throne. First the king and now Lord Aurelius. The people are fearful my lady."

Portia didn't answer. Her anger was a pulsing, living thing that grew as rage fed it. The gods were laughing at her, mocking her with their games, toying with her emotions till she felt she would collapse. Everything that she had worked towards seemed to be tumbling down around her like a paper house. All of her well planned moves, coming to this.

Gemella had disobeyed her and made an attempt on Marcus's life.

A wave of nausea swept over her, weakening her legs till she was forced to sit down. Her fingers gripped the sides of the chair, ignoring the servant girl when she silently picked up the discarded bone handled brush she had used on her hair, laying it gently on the side of the table.

Portia stared at her reflection in the mirror, trying to focus on only the gray depths of her own eyes and not on the dizzying spots that danced across her vision.

She couldn't understand. She had been so clear. She was the future Queen of Celaenia. Her word was law. To betray her was to commit treason and yet she had been disobeyed and her plans almost dissolved like sugar candy in water.

"You are certain he is unharmed?"

"Yes, my lady. He and the other guards are questioning everyone."

She stepped closer, her expression tentative as a slender hand reached out, trembling against Portia's shoulder. "Are you all right?"

"How can you ask me such a question when such treachery visits my home?"

"I am sorry my lady. I meant no impudence. I merely wanted to ask if you were al...."

"Get out," Portia interrupted.

"My lady, I.."

"Get out!," Portia screamed. The young woman skittered away, the sweet scent of sandalwood filling the air as she knocked into the vanity on her way out, the glass glittering on the floor.

She left the door open behind her and Portia stared into the empty hall for a moment, seeing nothing but her failure.

Her nerves felt frayed, wicked laughter unrelenting as it echoed over and over in her ears, taunting her. Her plans had almost been destroyed the by the acts of one stupid servant girl.

Her head dropped forward into her hands for a moment, her skin radiating heat against the iciness of her palms.

She wanted to be alone to scream to the heavens and ask them why they worked against her when she lived only to create a strong, capable country that would stand against the tests of time. Why could no one see the glory that she herself dreamed of every night?

She shivered. She felt a chill creeping across her body despite the fire that burned cheerfully in her hearth. It was a cold that crept out from within her heart, slowly moving through her body to turn her blood to ice, paralyzing her with the knowledge that she was losing control of her people. An inept queen could not rule for long. She shivered again goose flesh rising on her bare arms.

When she lifted her head and met her own gaze in the mirror, she paused. Gray eyes locked into stricken gray eyes. Her hair tumbled wildly around her shoulders like some pagan sacrifice, her nipples taut and visible beneath the thin material of her gown as the cold tried to defeat her.

She drew in a shaking breath, eyes closing for a long moment before they opened again, calm reflected in the mirrored glass. What was she doing? She was allowing an insignificant slip of a servant girl to creep beneath her skin and rattle the calm that she had fought so hard for.

Gemella was dead and better for it because had she lived, Portia would have ensured that her death at the hand of the High Council, was a slow, memorable thing. She had betrayed her trust, making her appear weak. If she could not control one simple, stupid girl, how could she rule an entire country?

No. She was stronger than this. She was a queen by birth and by right. Her word was law and her vision would be the people's. She would show them all that she was capable and that the acts of one stupid girl would not undermine everything she had worked towards all her life.

I was clear with her. I told her to let him be. I saw the relief in her eyes when I freed her from that task. Why would she have gone through with it afterwards? She loved him. She would have one anything for him...

Her thoughts trailed off, gray eyes widening as realization dawned. She said nothing as her gaze focused on another pair of eyes that suddenly appeared in the mirror.

Sirrus's dark eyes met hers without apology or regret for the betrayal he had committed. His handsome face was void of any emotion, a shadow of the man she'd though she knew so well.

"She would have done anything for Marcus," she repeated softly. "Even die for him..."

"My lady?"

"How could you?," she murmured, watching the line of his jaw, tracing it with her eyes as if the weight of her gaze alone could break it and keep him from speaking any more treachery. "How did you dare?"

"I do not know what you are talking about."

"How could you?," she repeated softly. "Do you hate me that much or do you fear him so much?"

"You're speaking in riddles."

"Am I?"

Her voice sounded eerily calm even to her own ears. In his eyes she saw a reflection of her own anxiety flicker across those handsome features as she stood slowly in a whisper of silk. He took a step back as she moved around the chair and closer to him.

"You told Gemella to kill Marcus."

"I do not know what you are talking about."

"Yes you do. Amalia came to me earlier and told me that she had seen Gemella limping in the hall. She thought she was injured in some way Gemella would not allow her to help her or even see her face. What did you do to her?"

"What does it matter? You've told me countless times that I may find my pleasures where I please."

"It matters to me... she was to be a gift to my cousin. I wanted her unharmed. What did you do to her to make her wish to harm him?"

Sirrus's lips curved into a humorless smile as he leaned down, his lips tracing he air above her upper lip. "I merely reminded her of your desire."

Portia stiffened. "You speak treason."

"And you committed it, my lady. She confessed everything to me."

"You lie to save your own hide, Sirrus. I told you that I wanted Marcus alive so Celaenia would be unified beneath our joint rule. The people love him and I need him to gain some of that respect for myself."

"No," he said softly. "It is you who lies, Portia. I know you sent Gemella to kill Marcus and I admit when I heard those words, my heart lifted with joy. I thought that you finally understood that you do not need him and that you would choose me to stand at your side as your consort as I deserve to be."

He paused, his expression softening as he reached for her. She tensed as his hand stroked down her cheek, caressing the stiff line of her jaw.

"I thought you were proving you loved me, but then she told me you had changed your mind and that you intended to marry him after all."

"I told you I was doing it for the betterment of this country. I think of them, not myself."

"Do you?"

When her gaze faltered, his hands tightened on her shoulders. "Do not lie to me anymore, Portia. I have been by your side for all these years. I have done your bidding each time as asked without question. Have I not yet proved my loyalty to you?"

"How can I trust a man that put his will ahead of my own?"

"I did it for you... For us. So that there would be no one standing in front of you and the throne. You do not need Marcus. You have my support and that of the home guard and we hold the true power in this city, not the High Council. Wars are worn by soldiers, Portia, not doddering old men in robes!"

Portia's breath caught as she watched an ugly emotion slip into Sirrus's eyes. Her tones were soft as she shook her head.

"You're mad. I do not wish to rule a country through fear and militant strength. These are my people, Sirrus, not conquests. You cannot see my vision...You never could. It is beyond your understanding. You think only of your desires and not of the empire."

I am thinking of you, Portia. No one knows better than I how much you desire the throne. I was helping you to get it."

"I can handle my own affairs, Sirrus."

His eyes darkened. "Some things cannot be handled on your back."

Portia's breath caught as she lunged. Sirrus foolishly tried to block her, unable to capture both hands at the same time. He shouted as her nails dragged down the side of his face, gouging his flesh with red, bleeding furrows. Her slender fingers curled, delicate talons dripping red like a daughter of the Furies as they struggled.

"If you ever speak to me in that manner again, I will cut out your eyes and feed them to the crows!"

She cried out as Sirrus grabbed hold of her flailing arms, twisting her wrists cruelly. Her breath rushed out, pain crushing her lungs as he slammed her into the wall.

Her teeth came down on her tongue hard, pinning and seeping warm wet metal into her mouth. Her head bounced off the stone, pain exploding through her temple, light dancing across her vision as she stared at the ceiling, watching the play of candlelight across the marble. Still struggling for breath, she cried out as Sirrus's fingers curled in her hair, yanking her head back.

"Why did you make me do this, Portia? Why? I loved you. I gave you everything. My loyalty. My honor. My love. You are the one woman who has never wanted any part of it for longer than it was convenient."

She had underestimated him. She had always assumed that Sirrus would do anything for her, content to live for and by her will alone. She had tried to play him like a puppet and now when his breath feathered across her lips, she felt the snap of her own strings.

Her every act no matter how misunderstood, was for Celaenia. It was for something greater than herself, but Sirrus could think of nothing but his own desire, just like her father before him and Marius who was on his way to try and claim her as his prize. Every man in her world could think only of himself and what he wanted, not of her or of the country that she loved more than her life.

"I will have you hung for this."

"I give you the world and all you can talk about is your wish for my death? Your heart is as cold and soulless as a long winter, Portia."

"No. It is as hot as the blood which boils within my veins, Sirrus." She swallowed around the blood in her mouth, her eyes fluttering closed as her head throbbed.

"How could you have been so stupid? I told you I intended to wed Marcus. Without him as my consort, my hold over the city is weakened. You knew this and yet you dared to defy me."

"I told you I can be your consort, Portia. You need a strong man who the people of this city respect. I control the royal guard and no every inch of this city and the secrets built into every stone. I can help you rule so that no one will oppose you."

His thumb stroked over her lips gently, even as his cruel grip on her hair tightened, his eyes desperate as they moved over her face.

"You need no other man but me."

"Let go of me, Sirrus."

"Not until you listen to me."

"I am done with listening to you! How could you betray me? I trusted you."

Portia's breasts rose and fell, struggling to draw full breaths into her still screaming lungs. She felt dizzy and light-headed, the room spinning around her. She blinked, staring up at him as his face wavered in and out of focus. She closed her eyes tightly, a sick nauseated feeling growing in her stomach.

"You speak of betrayals in the same breath that you speak of trust?"

He laughed, the sound hollow as he tightened his grip on her wrists. Portia winced, barely recognizing the man in front of her.

"You swore to me that your love was real and yet you turn down what I can offer you in favor of your cousin."

Portia's teeth snapped together as Sirrus yanked her towards him, lifting her struggling body in his arms. She tried to kick at him, but a hard blow across the face knocked her head to the side and the air from her lungs. She slumped forward, her fall broken by Sirrus's arms.

Sirrus carried her quickly out of the room, hurrying down the wide main corridor to a smaller, darker one. Instead of silk upon the wall, here it was stone and mortar, the air carrying a distinct chill.

Sirrus managed to open a small door at the end of the corridor and Portia moaned as she felt the soft caress of the evening breeze across her cheek. Sirrus carried her down a long circling flight of stairs that lead to a small door at the bottom at the back of the castle. He adjusted Portia's limp weight and opened the door. Thin streams of light from the moon peeking from the clouds lit his path as he walked out towards the cliffs.

"I loved you, Portia. I kept your every secret. Why did you have to betray me?"

She moaned as he tossed her over his shoulder, too disoriented to scream for help. Somewhere in her muddled mind she knew that this was the end for her. Everything that she had planned for this city was going to fall apart because of one man that she had underestimated as so many had underestimated her. She had become one of the fools she scoffed at and it would be her death.

She prayed that the gods were more forgiving then the hands that thrust her to the ground, sending her into a spiraling black world that swallowed her up.

- - - - -

Panic had a scent and Yanamari was surrounded by it. It smelled like wine and treason and the acrid scent of body odor that wafted through the halls as sandaled feet slapped against the stone, hurrying through the halls.

Panic had a face.

It was the lifeless one of the girl that the castle guards carried past her, one slender arm hanging over the sheet as if waving goodbye to the life she had left behind. Her face was half revealed by the heavy sheet, her fair hair spilling free.

She had been lovely once when her cheeks had been full with rosy life, but now her full lips already blue with the life's departure from her body. She looked too young for the Celaenian death god to have claimed her as his bride, only a few years older than herself. It made her all too aware of her own mortality as her dark gaze moved around the halls.

Yanamari caught the arm of a slender girl who served with her at Portia's side as she hurried past, her face flushed with exertion. "Wait. Please, Chloe. What has happened? Why is everyone so fearful. Has sickness come to the city?"

"No," she wheezed as dark eyes met Yanamari's with the wide fearful look of a startled doe. "These are dark times, Mara. It is no longer safe even within these walls."

"What are you talking about?"

"Gemella, Portia's handmaiden... she tried to assassinate Marcus Aurelius."

Yanamari couldn't understand the sudden wave of panic that whipped through her, weakening her knees. Her hand sought the wall blindly for support, slender fingers digging in gently into the younger woman's arm.

"She killed him?"

"No," Chloe said, shaking her head, that dark riot of curls dancing across her cheeks. "He lives. He didn't drink from the poisoned cup. He is calling all who live within the castle to the great hall. The guards are questioning everyone."

"Why?"

"He does not believe that she acted alone. Neither do I nor any of the other girls who served alongside her all these many years. Of all of us, Gemella adored Marcus Aurelius the most. He is a good, fair man deep inside though he seems hard. He was always kind to her. She would never have harmed him of her own free will."

"But who would command her to commit such an act? It had to be someone with enough power to convince her. She reported directly to the lady Portia and..."

The rest of her words were stilled by Chloe's soft warm fingers pressing tightly over her mouth. Dark eyes pleaded with her for silence as servants and guards rushed past them in a symphony of frantically slapping sandals. Chloe watched them pass, then leaned in close to Yanamari, her breath warm across her cheeks.

"Please do not look beneath stones for you will find the snake to bite you," she whispered. "Be very careful, Mara. Our lives mean nothing here. We are but pawns to be used in whatever game is being played at the moment. The best way to make them forget that you are a possible player is to keep your head down."

She paused, nodding slightly to make sure that Yanamari understood. When the other woman nodded, she released her.

12