Found in a Skip

Story Info
Darren's letter to ex in 750 words.
  • March 2019 monthly contest
802 words
4.41
15.5k
13
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a rather late entry in a challenge to write a flash story in exactly 750 word, the minimum allowed by Literotica. There is no descriptive sex in this other than adultery and aggravated cheating by implication. Please score and comment, it is all amateur writers get in reward for our efforts.

Dear Carletta,

Thanks for your note expressing your eternal gratitude for the framed Polaroid of Elinor, Jack, you and I, depicting us apparently happy on our fifth wedding anniversary, and at a time close to your mother and stepfather's twentieth.

At the very start of this reply to your note of thanks, I want to make it perfectly clear to you that my gift of the framed photograph was not intended to give you any hope at all that we'd ever get back together. No, quite the reverse, which is why I'm addressing you by your stage name, Carletta, which you took when your singing career took off as soon as you left me.

You're wrong in assuming that I kept the photo, of the four of us laughing and embracing in celebration of the love we once shared, for some sort of sentimental reasons.

The photograph was found in a skip, and not by me, of course, as I was well out of the picture by then, but by Jack.

Your stepfather had that tiny Polaroid encased in that magnificent frame, and left it to me years ago in his Will. He found it when you emptied out our old flat before moving to Las Vegas with the new man in your life, your agent Julius. Jack asked me to keep the photograph in his memory, the only member of your family that bothered to keep in touch with me (through a card and letter each Christmas).

I attended Jack's funeral. I was afraid to breach your restraining order, of course, but apparently your World Tour won over any lingering respect or regard you might have held for the man who devoted his life to your upbringing and the happiness of your mother. I easily avoided Elinor at the funeral, dazed as she was with grief for her husband.

I only sent you the photograph after hearing that your crazy husband number five burned down your LA mansion when you decided to divorce him, and you announced that you hadn't a single photo of your mother Elinor, who died last month.

I didn't keep that photo all those years for you or Elinor. I still cannot forgive her vile lies of my supposed violence towards you, the jury believed from her damning testimony alone. But you know of my innocence but allowed me to be convicted and destroyed in the action.

Jack was kind to me, Carletta, even after the other court case when I failed to prove that your hit song, "Love That Never Fails" was my creation and not written by you and Julius, your then new music publisher husband. That was a global hit for you, but the court case broke me, not just financially but branded me a plagiarist which completely blighted my potential musical career.

Did you know that even after all this time I'm still an undischarged bankrupt? Still shunned by the music industry, although I've written over 200 songs? I still play, of course, it is in my blood, but just bass guitar for a local dance band in pubs and village halls, accompanying my lovely wife Becky's fairly average but spirited singing.

She didn't know why I baulked every time at her insistence in singing "your" song. For many years I couldn't tell her the truth, to challenge her understanding, against all the sworn evidence, that her favourite song was penned by me and dedicated to you. She may not sing like an angel, but Becky is one in every other respect; she saved my sanity.

Jack's lawyers sent me another letter, held back by them as instructed, until after Elinor's death. Jack apologised to me in his letter, his devotion for Elinor's lifelong happiness outweighed mine. He trusted I had still kept that framed photo. Yes, it was in the loft of our tiny house, I hadn't thrown it away. He begged me to unseal the back to see what else he found in that skip.

It's thirty years since I'd seen that music sheet, the song I wrote for you when we first started courting, before we married, well before you were seduced by stardom and Julius's promises. At the bottom of the sheet, your effusive thanks for the song and promises of eternal love and kisses, signed in the name you were born with, one I cannot voice without sorrow.

It's with my new lawyers, Carletta, so see you and Julius in court.

Your once-loving Ex-

Darren.