Fourth Vector Ch. 23

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Now the city could finally get back to some normalcy, and the Aberdeenians celebrated that in the only manner they knew how.

What was even more telling was who the citizens gave credit to for their victory. First and foremost, the emperor shouldered a degree of cheers and yells, mostly from those who thought it proper that he should be included rather than any reasonable sense of responsibility from him. The next name on many people's tongues was that of Bancroft's, widely seen as the architect of the victory, and the one that had shifted the entire course of the war.

That was troubling for Jack, knowing what he learned from Kuntz and from his prior experiences with the admiral. It was understandable that the people gave Bancroft credit though. After all, it was largely his plan that guided them through.

However, it was the last name on people's tongues that most shocked Jack. He'd scarcely believed it when he first heard it, but as loud and clear as could be, the populace cheered another Javan officer they thought most responsible for victory.

"Easterbrook! Easterbrook! Easterbrook!"

"It would appear that you're famous, Jack," said Kat, who was by his side the first time they heard the chant. They were visiting Luke and Kim in their room, having recently since been moved over to the real hospital. The only person missing was Abigail, who'd become a shut-in the last few days. Her grief over her sister was all-encompassing, and she scarcely left their room when she didn't have to.

"Why are they cheering for me? I was but one commander in the whole operation," said Jack as the faint chants reverberated throughout the room.

"True, but Kuntz is dead, and Reynolds didn't have a great showing," said Luke, who was pushed up against the back of the bed. His good leg was draped over the side, while a heavy bandage still covered his wounded one. "Plus McKenzie is too old and not exactly a hero."

Jack scoffed. "McKenzie and Kuntz orchestrated the victory. All we did was get shot the hell up the whole day."

"Maybe the rest of the city doesn't see it that way, Jack," said Kim, laying flat on her bed. Her legs were done up in casts now, and she could only leave bed with the aid of her wheelchair. Since the femur in both legs was broken, she'd be a lot less mobile then usual as her body healed, but at least she was still alive. "Maybe they see you as the one that rightfully turned the tide. After all, Bancroft was in headquarters. You were the one actually fighting."

Jack pursed his lips. It made him uneasy to hear them cheering for him, no matter the purpose. In a place like Java, where the emperor was supreme above all others, anyone who attained fame or power could be seen as a threat.

It was just one more thing he'd have to guard against.

It wasn't much more than ten minutes later when a lieutenant arrived from the Admiralty bearing a message for Jack.

"Who's it from?" he asked, a confused look on his face.

"Admiral Bancroft, sir," answered the lieutenant.

Jack quickly opened it and read it to himself. His mouth fell open at the end, and he only let out one word. "Wow."

"What is it, Jack?" asked Luke.

"The emperor is coming to Aberdeen," read Jack out loud. "He wants to meet with the victors of the battle, myself included."

"That should be interesting," said Kim.

"And it might present an opportunity," added Kat. "You've been searching for a sympathetic ear about the viceroys. Now that the emperor is coming, perhaps you've found the right man to talk to."

Jack nodded. "There's more here too." He looked up at the rest of them. "It says the emperor is bringing a visitor for me personally."

1...67891011