Freedom is Being Out of Jail

Story Info
Redemption and a pretty woman left Ryan feeling good.
5.8k words
4.47
17.8k
4
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

CHAPTER 1

Released from prison after serving nineteen months of a twenty-four-month sentence, out early because of exemplary behavior, Ryan Bateman returned to Maxwell City, accepting his life was in tatters.

He remembered the night well, as if it were yesterday. He'd been to a strip club and had drank too much and had become befuddled. Similarly intoxicated Merton Joyce, his employer, had come up to him and offered him a ride home. Merton had driven much too fast, lost control turning out of Pioneer Avenue into Maple Street. The car mounted the far sidewalk and plowed through the front of Guthrie's Home Supply Store.

Ryan regained conscious aware Merton was shaking him.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, my lights went out for a few seconds."

"Look, I'm in deep shit. The cops will be here within minutes. You admit you were the driver and I'll stand by you."

"Was I driving?" Ryan slurred.

"Yes my good man. You were driving. I'll stand by you over this. You'll get ninety days but I'll compensate you."

They both staggered out on to the sidewalk unaware that a gas pipe in the building had been severed. The car motor was still running, battery acid was dripping from the cracked battery case. Something ignited and there was a violent explosion, hurling Ryan and Merton into the street, falling just short of the arriving police car as it braked heavily to avoid them. The two cops pulled the two drunks into the middle of the street and they watched helplessly as the fire spread. Fire crews fought the blaze but not before Guthrie's and two adjoining stores were destroyed and the furniture warehouse was severely damaged by water and smoke.

"Remember you were the driver," Merton hissed.

"Was I?" murmured the befuddled Ryan.

At the police precinct the desk sergeant asked for conformation who was the driver.

"My sales manager," Merton asserted.

"Yeah, I must have been."

Both men had been breath-tested, the readings indicating Ryan was well over the limit for safe driving and Merton rated as being incapable of driving.

In court Merton asserted Ryan had been the driver and Ryan annoyed the judge by declaring he couldn't remember who was driving. The vehicle had been destroyed in the resultant fire and there had been no witnesses.

The judge pronounced, "Ryan Edward Bateman you clearly were the driver in this unfortunate incident when your recklessness resulted in the investors in four important stores in this city being temporarily put out of business and most people who worked in those premises lost their jobs although some will be reinstated following rebuilding. You are a disgrace to this community. I hereby sentence you to two years imprisonment. Take him away."

Merton visited Ryan in prison two weeks later.

"Do you remember what happened that night that got you in here?"

"Yes, bits and pieces."

"Who was driving Ryan."

"You were."

"Christ, keep your mouth shut and I'll see you right when you get out of here. Is that a deal?"

"Yeah I have no alternative apart from seeking another hearing but what the hell. You have a family and I have nothing since my wife upped and left me."

* * *

Ryan called Merton.

"Hi."

"Christ it's you Ryan."

"I'm out early because of good behavior."

"That's good, where are you?"

"At the train station here in Maxwell."

"Where will you stay?"

"I have nowhere to stay. I lost my apartment in foreclosure. There is the residue of my financial input but I have to apply to the bank for it to be released to me."

"I'll help you with that. You can stay with us until we get something sorted. I'm coming for you now."

"Are you sober?"

"Ah funny man. After that heart-stopping experience I now only drink very moderately. And you?"

"Ah funny man. I'm just out of prison, remember?"

"Oh yeah. We'll get a couple of beers into you and a good steak when we get back here."

Merton eyed his former sales manager. "Christ you've filled out, all muscle, but you need attention from a hair stylist."

"I exercised in the gym twice a day and spent four hours a day learning unarmed combat and then teaching it. The alternative was to work in the vegetable garden to reduce boredom but I'm not a gardening guy."

"Wasn't it risky for the guards having you guys learn unarmed combat?"

"Nah, they kept goading us to have a go. After seeing two guys who had a go almost blown in two by shotgun blasts the message that guards reigned supreme got through."

"So it wasn't a picnic?"

"You have to be kidding funny guy."

Driving up to the stately home Merton said, "Only me wife Kathryn and my daughter Geneva know the truth about what happened that night. I didn't tell my loud mouth son Gary. Even so, don't expect too much sympathy from the women because both have objected to an ex-jailbird coming to our house. When do you have to report to the police?"

"By 10:00 tomorrow morning."

"I'll get you there on time. Just be charming to my women will you? It's possible you could win them over but foul up on that and your time here will be hell. I know my wife and daughter."

Merton's wife Kathryn inspected Ryan contemptuously. "You are not particularly welcome here."

"I can understand that."

"Who cut your hair?"

"One of the cooks."

A smile lurked on Kathryn's face.

"It's the truth ma'am."

Mrs Joyce was over-weight and very pale. By comparison the daughter who entered the room just then looked super-fit and very tanned.

"Hi."

"Good evening Miss Joyce."

"So they taught you manners inside?"

"I had manners before I entered the facility and haven't forgotten them."

"Did you have a hard time?"

"Losing your liberty is hard enough just be itself. But I suffered various degrees of deprivation."

"And they broke your spirit?"

"What do you think Miss?"

"I think not. I remember you and can see you have built up your body while inside."

Mrs Joyce said, "Well go into the kitchen Bateman. Cook will feed you."

"No I shall eat with the family and in future address me as Mr Bateman or more preferably as Ryan."

"Merton!"

"You heard Ryan. He has every right to ask for that, even demand it. He's not scum. He was a decent man before this unfortunate affair and appears to remain so. Please treat him like family Kathryn."

Cheeks burning Kathryn said, "Very well. You may eat with us Ryan."

"Thank you ma'am."

"You may call me Kathryn."

"Thank you Kathryn. Please understand although I've had three days in a halfway house it may take me several days before I return to acting normally."

"And you may call me Geneva."

"Pretty face, pretty name Geneva."

"I'll thank you for not being personal."

"Okay, providing the rules apply both ways."

Geneva's lips tightened. "When are you leaving here Mr Bateman?"

"Come on Geneva, don't get sore over little things. Just think you have something very precious."

"And what is that?"

"Your freedom."

Geneva was visibly taken aback. After a moment's pause she said, "Yes I hear what you say. Come through to dinner with me Ryan."

"No he needs to wash up and get a beer into him. Take him to his bedroom, the one next to yours.

The lips tightened again. Geneva said to her father, "We have a bedroom over the garages."

"I told you what I wanted."

"Yes father."

"Merton I'd prefer the room over the garages. I know I'm viewed as scum."

Merton shrugged so Geneva escorted Ryan away.

As they walked through to the garages she said, "Your stay here will be more comfortable for everyone if you stop attempting to stand up to me."

There was silence.

"Answer me."

"I suggest you cease being a bitch; it doesn't become you. You heard your father I was a decent man before I took the fall for him and he believes I remain a decent man."

"Are you?"

There was silence.

"Christ do I..."

Ryan interrupted. "That's for you to find out before you decide to sleep with me."

Geneva clutched the handrail of the steep stairs leading up to the loft and laughed helplessly. Then she managed, "You have to be kidding."

Near the top of the stairs he said, "You have good legs... great thighs for a woman actually."

"God, I knew that foul remark was coming."

"There is nothing foul in being in praise of beauty."

Geneva clamped her mouth shut and threw the door open. "There!"

"Not good enough. Your father will expect you to check there are towels in the bathroom and to pull back the bed covers for me."

Flashing Ryan a murderous glance Geneva shot into the room and dashed into the bathroom, came out and turned down the bed covers.

"There."

"Thank you Geneva. Do you think your father is expecting you to have sex with me?"

She scowled and almost spat, "Too bad if he does. It just won't happen. Besides, I'm practically engaged."

"Who to."

"It's none of your business."

Ryan moved to stand between Geneva and the door. "I'm capable of tanning your ass for you being insolent."

"Kevin Walters."

"That lay about."

"Well his dad is wealthy so Kevin lacks for nothing."

"It must be his dick?"

"How dare you," Geneva screamed.

"Hey lady, calm down. It was simply speculation. Don't you expect me to converse?"

"With you I don't know what to expect. If you don't watch it I'll get Kevin and my brother to sort you out with a beating you'll never forget."

Ryan grinned. "If you do that then stick around; it could be interesting for you. With his middle teeth knocked out Kevin's mouth on your pussy won't ever feel the same again."

In rage she screamed, "If you hurt him I'll kill you."

Ryan kept his mouth shut. Two inmates had tried to main him and both had been hospitalized and with Ryan's warning what he'd do to them unless they'd kept to their story they'd fallen over.

"Stay here until you cool down. There's no need to upset your mom."

Ryan went to the bathroom and when he came out he showed no surprise to find Geneva sitting on the bed.. He held out his hand. She stood and took it watchfully and was led to the door. Ryan threw her kicking over his shoulder and went down the stairs three at a time and into the garage. He dropped Geneva to her feet and she was breathing heavily and laughing.

"God that was so exciting and yet scary."

"I'd never harm you Miss Joyce."

"I believe you Mr Bateman."

"May I say something personal?"

There was no hesitation. "I haven't been able to stop you doing that so far."

"I like a woman with a bit of fire like."

Geneva looked at him, biting her lip.

"Come on," he said. "We need a drink exciting ourselves like this."

She actually giggled.

Sitting down after fetching pre-dinner drinks, Kathryn said, "I do expect you to behave while you are here Ryan."

Father and daughter looked shocked and Ryan leant down and patted the cat.

After thirty seconds of silence Merton said, "I want you to spend a week lazing around here getting back on your feet Ryan. Geneva is a teacher and is on school holidays at present so you can go horse riding with her and go to the supermarket with Kathryn and either of them will take you where you want to go until you get your driver license re-issued. I seem to remember you play golf. Geneva plays golf.

"Geneva plays golf with Kevin," Kathryn said pointedly.

"Oh I'd not wish to upset that cozy pairing," Ryan smirked.

Geneva smirked back and said they could play as a threesome. "You'll need sex after being without a woman for two years. Perhaps one of my hotter girlfriends plays golf and will pair with you?"

An awkward silence followed, Kathryn really squirming in her chair.

Conversation over dinner continued with awkward silences. Finally Ryan attempted a break-through.

"Look Kathryn and Geneva. Merton owes me big and you both know why. He probably aims to treat me like a son and that's bound to give Gary problems as well as you Kathryn."

"Aren't you forgetting Geneva?" Kathryn asked woodenly. "You ought to have discussed this with me Merton."

"I've discussed nothing with no one," Merton said. "Ryan is speculating."

"Well damn you, is he correct?"

"Yes."

"And why are you excluding Geneva Ryan? She's the hothead of our family."

"I simply patted her ass and she went all honey on me."

"What!" Kathryn shrieked.

"Mom stop it. I think we will find he's a bit of a tease. He hasn't touched me but is likely to in time and I'm attempting to get my mind around that possibility. I thought he'd emerge as a harden criminal but he appears unchanged from the couple of times I'd spoken to him before he was jailed."

Kathryn, face screwing up, said, "I can't believe what I'm hearing."

"Just give me a chance Kathryn. Let your guard down and try to see me how I am."

"He's right sweetheart. Give him a chance."

Kathryn raced from the table hold a hand over her mouth. Merton inclined his head at Geneva. She sighed and raced after her mom.

"Well son," Merton said dryly. "You've met your adopted family. What do you think?

"You're proving to be okay."

Merton grinned. "I won't have another drink; a beer and a wine is enough for me."

"I guess for me too. That restraint is something I can learn from you."

"Is it true Geneva has gone soft on you already?"

"She has a touch of wildcat in her so all I'll say at the moment is she has found me more interesting that she'd expected. I admit to having touched her. I threw her over my shoulder and ran her down the stairs."

"Jesus, she would have loved that. I used to do that to her on our stairs here when she was a kid. She almost used to piss herself in fright, although screaming in laughter. You must have touched a cord."

Geneva returned with her mom. Kathryn said, "Ryan I must apologize for my dreadful behavior. Geneva has also told me I must give you a chance and I now accept that. In fact I'm prepared to give you several chances."

Ryan got his chance the next day. Kathryn took him with her to the supermarket and while Ryan was selecting shaving products Kathryn had bumped trolleys with a guy who berated her and then turned on the charm and attempted to get fresh with her. Ryan arrived and summed up the situation, noting Kathryn looked a little upset.

"Mom is this guy bothering you?"

Kathryn looked at Ryan startled and when she looked back the guy, a weasel half the size of Ryan, had disappeared down another aisle.

"Oh god," she giggled. "Come on let's finish here and go to my favorite place for coffee."

Geneva was waiting to take Ryan out to the horse-riding ranch and was relieved to see Ryan still in one piece. Minutes later in the kitchen she boggled when she heard her mom say, "Just stack the bags on the bench dear. Geneva is itching to go."

"Can you ride?"

"Yeah."

That told Geneva very little but she learned more when he was presented with a nag.

"Haven't you got a decent horse?"

Gail sniffed and said sarcastically, "You can have mine."

Jimbo was a mean-tempered stallion, biggest horse on the ranch and seemed to know it. He had a halter on and Gail grinned, "Here take this lead and clip it on the left side. She watched amazed. Jimbo went to nip Ryan, was cuffed over the nose and thereafter behaved like a kid's pony.

"Are you a horse whisperer?" she giggled.

"Nah, treat them like you treat women and they understand you."

They women exchanged glances, grinning.

The ranch was flat so Ryan wasn't expecting much of a ride but to his surprise they crossed the highway and rode down an access road and into a forest. The trails were well defined and when Geneva checked out he was more than a competent rider she lead him up a steep climb marked A-Grade riders only. They following a winding stream and eventually came out on to pastureland above the forest.

They rested the horses and lay on the grass.

"Thank you for this excursion. It's a delight. You have no idea..."

He stopped and she said nothing until, "You may kiss me if you wish."

So he kissed and was pulling away when she threw her arms around him and held him captive, seconds later opening her mouth.

They took a break.

"May I pull out a tit?"

She looked at him gravely and nodded and seemed to take a great deal of pleasure watching him at work. When Geneva looked at her watch he sighed and put the breast away behind the soft bra.

"How did you like that?"

He grinned boyishly and said he'd been in heaven.

"If you're in a bad way I don't mind jerking you off."

"No, I'll be fine. You're a lovely young lady Geneva."

Her face colored. "Dad said you're the same age as me."

"Yeah. We best be going. We were only booked for two hours."

'It's fine. Gail and I are pals although she's into her forties. Because of that friendship I got her a twenty-percent discount on that new barn supplied by Merton Farm and Building Supplies. God, did you see the way she was looking at you."

"Nah, I was more interested in the horses."

"There was lust all over her face."

"So you decided to brand me possessively?"

Geneva's face burned as she said, "I've no idea what you're talking about."

She did answer his grin with a grin.

As required by the ranch they had to unsaddle, hose and towel down and then brush their mounts.

"No client has been allowed to ride Jimbo before today."

"I can understand that. You saw me as someone special," Ryan said, winking at Geneva.

There was no reply but when they were leaving Gail said casually he was welcome to come any time, even without Geneva. "Between 10:00 and 1l:00 weekdays generally is slack time here for me."

"Slack time eh?" was Ryan's only reply.

Gail appeared nonplussed.

As they were returned home Geneva said, "Now do you believe me about Gail?"

"Yeah, she was thinking sex all right. Horsy women usually fuck well."

"So I've been told."

"When will I get to see both tits bared?"

Geneva faked a yawn and didn't reprimand him for using that word. "When you get lucky I guess."

"You have great tits, not too big."

"Ryan please, I need to concentrate on safe driving. God I still can't believe you took the fall for my father."

"The truth is we were expecting it to be only ninety days."

"Oh god, so that's why dad feels so beholden to you."

"Yeah but rest assured I'll not take unfair advantage of that but I do expect to be advantaged. Stop and give me a drive."

"But you are still forbidden to drive."

"Yeah but I need a bit of practice before I'm tested. The cops booked me in for next Thursday when I reported in yesterday."

Geneva had still not slowed to stop.

"Come on Geneva, we both know you're a naughty girl out to fuck me."

"Ohmigod," she said, braking to a hard stop. "You cannot talk to me like that."

He grinned but this time she didn't grin back; she looked very guilty.

They arrived home, stopping at the gate to change driver, and found a reception waiting for them.

"What the hell have you been driving around the country with this jerk," said boyfriend Kevin Walters angrily, grabbing Geneva by the arm.

Merton, Kathryn and son Gary came out and stood watching.

"Careful who you're calling a jerk you jerk and you're hurting my arm,"

"I asked you a question."

"Ouch, stop it."

Ryan picked up a big rock from the rockery and stood in front of Kevin's pride and joy, a rebuilt 1972 Ford Thunderbird.

"Hey Walters, let her go or else this rock goes through your windscreen."

Kevin let Geneva go and yelled, charging at Ryan. Ryan waited till he was close and gently lobbed the rock at him. Kevin caught it, the impact knocking his backwards on to his ass, winding him.

Gary raced over, pulled Kevin to his feet and punched him to the ground.

"Gary, what the fuck!" Kevin yelled, spitting out a broken tooth.

"Kevin, get off my land, you're no longer welcome here," said Merton, looking at the red welts on his daughter's forearm.

12