Friday is Date Night

Story Info
I told her where to look.
18.3k words
4.58
255.1k
222
Story does not have any tags
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
qhml1
qhml1
8,980 Followers

I actually heard the interview about the site I describe in the story, on NPR. The woman makes almost four million a year.

And there's almost no sex, but there is a cheating wife, so I think it fits this category. And if it were your wife, what would you do?

..................................................

I was an NPR junkie, hardly ever listening to regular radio. Lately I had been listening to a program featuring people who were doing well in the bad economy.

One guy started out with a van, cleaning out and repairing abandoned houses that were in foreclosure. Now he had eight box trucks and a crew of twenty and still can't keep up.

The one I remembered most was the one that offended me terribly.

It was a website designed to introduce people who wanted to cheat on their spouses.

"It's not a cheaters site. We provide a discreet introduction service. They read each others' profile, and if they like it, they email each other, privately. Of course we have different categories, some things appeal to some but not others. Actually, the second most popular section is called Date Night.

"It's for people who want to experience others without actual sex taking place. Some use it as a stepping stone to more serious encounters. Others are quite content to just date and go separate ways, sometimes with just a handshake or a chaste kiss."

The host was intrigued.

"Aren't you the least bit concerned about the moral aspect? It's like you're encouraging and facilitating the destruction of marriages."

She wasn't deterred.

"We don't encourage anything, we just offer the opportunity to explore options. There again, once the contact is made on our site, they must immediately leave and go private. No exceptions. Anyone caught violating that rule will be banned from the site for life."

"Tell me, do you ever face litigation?"

You could hear her smirk on the radio.

"People have tried, but they've all been thrown out of court. All we do is allow like minded people to communicate. And again, their actions after they leave the site is not our responsibility. They've been carefully screened, and they are consenting adults. No one is forced to use this site."

The host finished the interview.

"Well despite what people think of your business, it's been very successful. Before we go, I understand you did a survey to determine who is most likely to cheat. Can you share those results?"

"Sure. Remember this isn't scientific, we just asked our members to participate in some research. We had one hundred eighty one thousand members respond. I have a friend that's a detective, and when I showed him the results he laughed."

"It's like a crime," he said. "Motive and opportunity."

She went on to explain.

"The number one profession likely to step outside the marriage are realtors. Think about it. Erratic schedules, available spaces for their encounters, a multitude of opportunities."

"Second were lawyers. Again, scheduling and opportunities."

"Third was health care professionals, fourth were people in services like construction, especially plumbers."

"The fifth group were stay at home parents and the unemployed. There you go, motive and opportunity. Curiously, people who travel professionally made up a very tiny segment. And one more tidbit, most members range from thirty two to the middle fifties. I guess the seven year itch theory is often fact."

.................................................

I told my wife about it later, as I did most things I found interesting. We were both in our late forties, and had been married for twenty four years. Two children, one each, the youngest a freshman in college, the oldest set to graduate in a few months.

Mary wasn't a model, but she still retained her figure, going to the gym more often since the kids were gone, and had just a few strands of gray in her blonde hair. Outgoing, friendly, she was a good neighbor, watching out for the two elderly couples that lived on our street. She worked, we weren't wealthy, as a receptionist for an auto parts manufacturer.

I had a good job, making decent money considering I never went to college, working for a building supply company that catered to manufactured housing. I had been there fourteen years.

About six months ago one of our crew retired. One of our largest customers had a monster development at the beach, and it was cheaper to order the parts necessary directly from us and have them delivered. They were such a big customer we bought one of those box trucks and made a weekly run. We delivered on Friday, so the crews would have the materials ready to go on Monday.

They posted the job but I didn't ask for it, it required overnight travel and I liked sleeping at home.

The boss gave it to a young guy that loved the beach, but he liked it so much he found a job there and abandoned the van and disappeared.

The next driver, also young, had a beer too many and wrecked the truck. My boss called me into his office.

"Bill, I'm not gonna beat around the bush. I need someone dependable to make these runs, someone who knows the business. I'm going to ask you to do it for a few weeks, as a favor to the company. We'll run an ad, see if we can find someone. Will you do it?"

I finally agreed, after they changed my hours. I had been working four tens and having a three day weekend. Now I worked four eights, drove the truck home on Thursday, Left at five in the morning on Friday, drove the four and a half hours, and delivered the material. Sometimes I delivered to their little warehouse and was done by one or two, sometimes I had to deliver to individual sites, but was still usually done by five. I was paid for twelve hours, unless I worked more. I was given money for lunch, dinner, and breakfast the next day plus my room, and paid for the four and a half hours it took to drive home.

Mary wasn't too fond of it at first, It cut into our home life quite a bit. I worked it out where every third week someone else drove it, and once a month or so Mary would take a vacation day and make the trip with me. Those days we would spend another night, paid for by us, and drive home Sunday.

Three months went by and I stopped by the office one Thursday to see if I needed to take any documents with me, warranties, changes in the housing codes, anything that seemed relevant. While I was there, I asked how they were progressing on my replacement. The boss told me to pull up a chair and shut the door.

"We haven't had much luck, and I have to confess, we stopped looking. The developer loves you, the shipments are complete, and on the rare occasion something gets missed, you take the time to go to Lowes or Home Depot and make it right, if they have it available. When you looked over his warehouse and made suggestions to improve flow, he took it to heart."

He saw me frown, knowing what was coming.

"Don't say no right off the bat. If you take it, there's three dollars more an hour in it, and I'll agree that if you want your old job back in six months you can have it and keep the raise. Go home, talk it over with your wife."

We did talk about it. Mary didn't like it, but she liked the extra money coming in. Our house was almost paid off, and we agreed to put the extra money towards the principal every month. Plus, we both agreed that at the end of six months I'd go back to my old job.

I hated it, at first. Then I made a few friends, even got invited to dinner with the development owner and his wife.

I was never much of a drinker, so I didn't hang out in bars. At a suggestion from one of the contractors, I started eating dinner at a quiet family style place three blocks off the beach. A local hangout, not like the tourist traps on the main drag. It had a small attached pub that I usually had one beer in, and sometimes watched a game. It was baseball season, one of my favorite sports to watch. I made friends with the bartender and a few of the locals, enough to speak to them by name and exchange sports talk.

One night the bartender was telling us about the fish he had caught off the pier that morning. Interest perked, I asked him about it, and ended up invited to go with him the next morning. I called Anne to tell her I'd be a few hours late coming home the next day, but got the machine.

I wasn't concerned, she was often at her sister or parents house, so I left a message.

Five thirty found me on the pier. I didn't need a license, the pier permit covered everything. Sam, the bartender, gave me a tutorial on bait, rigging, casting[a big thing if the pier was crowded] and what I could and couldn't land.

"No sharks" he said. I laughed. What were the odds I would catch a shark? Better than even, my first fish was a two foot sand shark.

I had it dangling out of the water, looking at Sam.

"What do I do?"

"This" he said, pulling out a fillet knife and cutting the line.

I caught a few more fish that Sam kept and filleted. It didn't matter to me, I had fun just catching them.

After a lot of discussion and a lot of advice, I bought two eight foot rods with Penn reels, and kept them in the truck. Just as soon as I was done for the day I would hit the pier and fish, sometimes into the night. Invested in a cooler to take the catch home, if I caught enough.

Mary and my friends were happy with the fish fries we started hosting about once a month.

................................................

My six months were almost up. My boss was begging me to do it for another six month period, but he would stick to the deal we made. I was really surprised when Mary urged me to do it.

"We're used to it now, and the extra money is really helping with the house payments. Two more years and we're done. Think about it, about the vacations we could take, the things we could do. I miss you honey, but after all, it's just one day a week. And I know you'll miss the fishing."

She had a point. I really wanted to pay off the house. After that we could relax, save a little for the future, and enjoy life.

My boss was happy with my decision, and sweetened it by giving me another small raise.

.................................................

My world came apart about two months later.

I was a hundred miles out when the truck stopped running. Judging by the engine noise, it was bad. I called a wrecker, called my boss, called our customer, and waited.

They hauled it to the local dealership. I knew there was no way I could make my delivery, and it would be late afternoon or tomorrow morning before they could fix it. I had the option of spending the night, or going home. I wasn't that far away, and I figured it would be nice to surprise Mary and come home. The dealership actually gave me a loaner, so I didn't have to rent a car.

.............................................

It was almost seven that evening when I turned into our block. I was five doors down when Mary walked out of the house. I remember thinking she looked amazing in the dress she had on, one I had never seen before. She seemed to be in a hurry, pulling out quickly. I called her cell to try to stop her.

She picked up on the third ring.

"Let me guess, you're on the pier."

"No, honey, I'm actually right behind..."

"Hold on a second honey, the timer just went off on the oven. A new casserole I'm trying. I hope you like it."

Huh? Since when did she install an oven in her Camry?

"So you're at home?"

She actually giggled.

"Of course I am, where did you think I would be? I've got my old robe on, hair all up and a new mask on my face. Supposed to take years off. How would you feel about a sexy, younger wife?"

I'd feel a hell of a lot better than I feel right now. My hands were actually shaking on the wheel. I had to get off the phone.

"Hey! I got a bite. See you at home tomorrow."

She actually told me she loved me when she hung up.

I followed her to an upscale restaurant, French I think. She got out of the car and looked around uncertainly, and a man in a nice suit got out of his car and they started talking. After a few minutes, they shook hands and went into the restaurant.

I pulled in behind the car and wrote down his license number. Then I sat for over twenty minutes, trying to decide what to do.

I dialed a number I hardly ever used. It was a young man that worked for us for awhile, before getting another offer. The job fell through three months later and we had already replaced him. I knew he was on unemployment and was strapped for cash.

"Jerry, how are you? Found a job yet? No? Too bad. Listen, are you busy right now? How would you and your wife like a nice meal on me, and a little spending money to go with it? Sound good? All right, meet me at the Kroger on Third as soon as you can, and I'll explain everything. And Jerry, It's nothing illegal."

He pulled up thirty minutes later. He and his pretty young wife got out. She went quiet, then spoke before he could.

"Why don't you just go in there and confront her? It might be nothing, maybe she's planning a surprise for you. Maybe he's a long lost relative. It could be anything."

I agreed with her.

"You're probably right, but I'd look like an asshole barging in there, and she could say anything and I wouldn't be able to dispute it."

"But what if it's not innocent. What if she's having an affair? What if it's been going on for awhile? No, this way is best. No one gets accused, no one causes a scene, and I'll know, one way or the other."

"But I'll understand if you don't want to do this. I'll still pay for a nice meal, at a place of your choice."

She looked into my eyes, and sighed.

"All right. But promise me, if it's bad, you won't get violent."

I know I had tears in my eyes when I answered her.

"I've loved this woman for twenty four years. Even if she has betrayed me, I could never physically hurt her. I just need to know. Please."

They agreed. I showed them several pictures of her on my phone. There was a chance they might leave soon, and if they did I wanted them to follow them, and be sure to get as many pictures as they could. I handed them three hundred in cash, and told them I would give them more later.

After they left, I went back to the town where the truck was and got a room, sleeping very little.

I called her the next morning, telling her I would have to spend Sunday away, so they could unload me first thing Monday. She actually seemed disappointed I would be gone all weekend.

Then I called Jerry and Amy.

"Don't tell me yet. I want to talk to both of you face to face, to get your feelings and opinions. Also, I won't be there tonight, so I want you to watch my house from say, six until ten. If she doesn't go out, go home. If she does, follow her and get pictures. I'll have some more money for you when I see you."

..................................................

I met with Jerry and Anne, having coffee with them in the next town over.

"I don't know what to tell you, man." said Jerry. while Amy nodded.

"They had almost finished their meal when we went in, so we sat at the bar and had a drink. Then they went to the Platinum Club, the place that caters to people your age and up."

"They stayed until just before midnight, danced a lot, then he took her back to her car. They talked for a few minutes, and after a small kiss, they got into their cars and left. She went straight home. We sat and watched for about an hour, but the lights went out and no one came, so we left. It was kind of weird, watching her."

Amy added her thoughts.

"It was definitely odd. It looked like, I dunno, like a first date."

................................................

She noticed I was down when I got home. She fixed a nice dinner that I ate quietly. She noticed.

"What's wrong, honey? Have a bad trip?"

I took my time looking up, trying to keep my face bland.

"Yeah, it kind of sucked. The truck breaking down screwed up the whole weekend. They had to schedule someone to open the warehouse for me, and he was late. Then I went and ate at that restaurant I liked so much, and the food wasn't really that good. I didn't even get to relax in the pub, some guy caught his wife in there with another man, apparently having a romantic date, and caused quite a scene."

I couldn't resist.

"The whole scene left a bad taste in my mouth. Give me your opinion, what would you have done if you had walked into a restaurant and found me sitting there with a date? Would you cause a altercation?"

She didn't answer me right away, a telling sign.

"I'd be shocked and disappointed, and I would probably be pretty sharp with you, but I don't know if I would cause a scene. It may be innocent, with a valid explanation, but I'd damn sure want to hear it when we got home."

I just looked at her.

"Really? If I walked in on you and another man I don't think I'd be discreet. I'd probably come apart like a flea market watch. And there wouldn't be any waiting to get home, you'd better have a damn good explanation right then."

She actually paled a little, but recovered.

"You don't have anything to worry about, honey. You're the man in my life. Don't judge too harshly, there may have been a reasonable explanation for the woman you saw. It might have been an old friend or a relative she was having dinner with. You may have read too much into it."

I wouldn't let it go.

"I don't think so. She was apologizing, saying it wasn't what he thought, he was screaming at her about being a slut, and the guy she was with disappeared like a ghost. Regardless, if she was there without his knowledge, she was cheating at least emotionally, and in my mind that's just as bad as the physical act."

"For God's sake! Can we please change the subject? Relax honey. Let's watch a movie, maybe snuggle a bit. Who knows, it may lead to more. I really missed you this weekend."

I'd like to say I took the moral high ground, but she knew the right buttons to push. At forty six, she was still a looker. Went to the gym three times a week, made sure we both ate right, took good care in grooming. She was maybe fifteen pounds heavier than when we married, settled in the right places. She was indeed built for comfort and pleasure.

Like I said, knew all my buttons, and she pushed them all that night. It was like she was trying to prove something. I asked her about it as we snuggled afterwards, and felt her stiffen.

"I just wanted to give you a little extra tonight, just my way of telling you that you're still pretty special and I'm glad you chose me as a life mate."

I hugged her a little tighter, wanting to believe it, when she giggled.

"You made out pretty well. Have you seen Myra lately?"

Myra was her only serious competition when we started dating. Time had not been kind to her, she was five feet tall and had to weigh over two fifty. She didn't have double chins, she had a triple chin. Still, when she was young she was hot.

I couldn't resist.

"Yeah. I feel bad for her. Her last divorce was pretty rough on her, even if it was her fault. Cheating seems to always have repercussions, in this case it drove her self esteem so low she drowned in ice cream and cookies. Maybe she'll find someone she can be faithful with. I hope so. The choice of going on at our age alone is depressing."

I could tell it got to her. She got up, went to the bathroom and stayed in so long I went to sleep.

.................................................

I had Jerry and Amy check on her the next Friday night. They watched the house from six until ten, but she never went out. She didn't go anywhere the next week and I started to relax.

The next Friday she was out the door, dressed sharply, at seven. She went back to the same restaurant, I never knew she like French cuisine so much. It was a different guy this time, and they just had dinner. Again there was a slight kiss, and she went home alone.

qhml1
qhml1
8,980 Followers