Friends and Lovers Ch. 02

Story Info
Does Jack want to be your boyfriend?
7.5k words
4.25
8k
3
Story does not have any tags

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 05/03/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
RDRocket
RDRocket
42 Followers

Walking back, he stopped at the Grad house for a coffee and saw Astrid and Violet sitting at table and went to join them. When he sat down, he turned to Astrid and asked, "Asti, have you told Vi about your problem yet?"

It was Vi that answered, "She just finished telling me. Do you have any ideas yet?"

Jack replied, "Not really but if her father is as overprotective as she thinks he is, I suspect we may need to do a variation on the long con."

"Long con?" Asti asked perplexed.

Again Vi did the answering, "I'll explain later."

Then turning to Jack she said, "I agree that looks like the best approach, but we better make it good, it may be old dudes we're dealing with but, I'm sure they can smell a rat a mile away. I'll think on it this week and next Saturday we can exchange ideas. Together, we might come up with a plan."

They chatted a bit about what to expect the upcoming week before breaking up. As they were walking away from Jack, he heard Vi explaining to Asti about how cons were confidence tricks used to get people to part willingly with something they value.

***

Monday morning between classes Gina dropped by the Dean's office to speak with Jade, his assistant. Jade made it known to the female students that if they had any difficulties, the girls were to come and talk to her about them.

Gina had been to talk to her the previous year when she and Greg had broken up.

She told Jade what had happened at the pub. Jade's first thought was Gina's safety, so she asked, "Did he hit you?"

"I was worried he might but a first year, Jack Crawford, was with us and Greg just backed right off."

Jack Crawford was one of the students the Dean had asked Jade to keep an eye on, along with Astrid Alfredson and Violet Abbot because of their unusual circumstances. Her curiosity piqued, she asked Gina what Jack had done.

"Nothing really, he just stood up and politely told Greg that he thought I had made myself clear. Odd thing was when stood up, he somehow changed from Jack the nice guy to someone who, I guess the best way to put is, radiated menace."

"So your new boyfriend stood up for you?"

"He's not my boyfriend, Greg just thought he was?"

"Does Jack want to be your boyfriend?"

"I wish. He's dating Kathy, and it's pretty clear he's a one woman man."

"Okay sweetie, I'm glad you came by. I'll have a word with Greg so don't worry about him anymore."

***

When their classes started, Jack discovered three things about law school.

Law school at first consisted of mountains of reading, most of it cases that had been decided in the past but had a principle buried in them somewhere. These cases were referred to as precedents and meant to clear up things that seemed perfectly straight forward to him.

The further he got into the term, the more the value of the study groups became apparent. Just because he found something clear didn't mean that everyone agreed and at times someone else in the group would have a clear vision completely different from his own.

The second thing he discovered was buying second hand books proved to be of more value than buying new books, as the previous owner had highlighted the key concepts in the cases, the value did diminish a bit as the key passages depended on who the previous owner had for a professor in that subject.

And third, that the number of conceited, full of shit, classmates he had was staggering.

The study group did not always sit together, choosing most of the time to sit with friends they had made. The one constant was Jack and Astrid always sat together.

As for the courses they had to take, he found Property Law to be excruciatingly boring.

Legal History to be full of interesting stories on how the law had evolved and factoids, such as, at one point the British Empire had over 300 hanging offences.

His least favorite was Torts, or in plain English things you could be sued for. The professor in that class was a pompous little jerk who used the Socratic method of teaching; that is, he asked random individuals questions and then proceeded to criticize the answers humiliating them in the process.

The professor, Horlicks, started the first class telling them just how brilliant he was, how he had a Ph.D. in law from Harvard, how he had scored 100% on the LSAT and in their entire legal careers it was unlikely they would ever meet another lawyer who had accomplished this feat.

Astrid took an instant dislike to Horlicks and when he mentioned the LSAT, Jack thought he was going to have to sit on her to keep her from blowing his secret.

They were kept so busy reading that they didn't get back to the planning of Asti's emancipation from the Williams, the friends of her father's she was staying with, until the beginning of October. The three of them, Vi, Jack and Asti met at the Grad House and compared Ideas, came up with a plan, and immediately put it into effect.

Once the plan was put into effect the following conversations took place:

"Hi Arne, Bill Williams here. It seems little Astrid is ready to take her first forays out of the sheltered life. She's been bringing up two friends in conversation everyday for the past week telling us how great they are. One's Ted Abbot's daughter Violet and the other is a young man, Jack Crawford."

"Is he related to Hugh Crawford?"

"I don't think so, if he is, it's very distant".

Arne Alfredson thought for a few seconds then said, "It sounds like they are working the long con to get Astrid some space. It's about time someone lit a fire of rebellion in my girl to get her out and experiencing the real world."

They both laughed.

"It should be fun to see how they work it." Bill said. "I'm going to move things along by suggesting she invite them both over for dinner next Thursday like any good over protective surrogate father would."

The following Saturday Arne called Bill and asked, "How did it go."

"If they are up to what I think they are, they are very smart planners"

"How so?"

"Young Crawford called to decline the invitation saying he had plans. Martha told me he was very polite and respectful in doing so and definitely left her with the impression he was disappointed in being unable to come.

I don't know if he made the plans after the invite or had them already made, but during the dinner with Violet it became clear that their play was to have Violet there without him. When he came up in conversation, Violet was very subtle in the way she did it, but in the end she gave a glowing character reference of him. She has great touch in avoiding the over sell.

I had Astrid invite him to dinner next Tuesday and he called today to say he would be delighted. I'll call Wednesday and give you an update."

As arranged Bill called Arne Wednesday.

"Arne these kids are good. First of all Jack is twenty six. He was very presentable and well mannered. During dinner we asked about how he and Astrid met he told us a very entertaining rendition and, as we say in the profession, it had the 'ring of truth.'

When we talked about Violet the impression he gave of her was she was a good person and bit of a party girl, just like her father was when he was in school with us. It looks like what they are setting up is that Violet provides the fun and Jack the security for Asti, with both of them watching her so she doesn't get herself into a bad situation.

I'm wondering if Jack is playing along in hopes of getting into Astrid's pants. Even though I can't see it yet it feels like something is a little off in their performances. I'm going to call Jade, the Dean's special assistant and see what she can tell me. She has the pulse on what goes on around the school and if Jack is a player she will probably know.

I should know all I need to by the weekend so I'll have them all over for a barbeque Saturday."

Friday night Bill called Arne. "Hi Arne I got the feedback from Jade today. This is all confidential Okay? She told me Violet was just how they presented her to be. A party girl but doesn't go overboard.

The information on Jack was very interesting. You know how they interview candidates when someone outside the norm appears that they think might succeed, Jade had read the notes on Jack.

Like Asti he was put in an accelerated program and started University at seventeen. He comes from a middle class family and is the first in the family to go to University. I gather he had a bad time there as he dropped out after first year. He had a co-op placement in the engineering department of a potash mine and they thought highly enough of him to allow him to stay on as a technician.

Even though he dropped out, he continued to take distance education from the University.

After that he took a year long course and became a heavy equipment mechanic. A year after he started working in that field the company he worked for went bankrupt. He then re enrolled at University and finished his B.Sc. in three straight semesters.

This is where it gets really interesting. He showed no interest whatsoever in the law but then inexplicably wrote the LSAT the first sitting of his final semester. Get this, he had a perfect score on that wretched thing.

It looks very much like they bonded over the common ground of being very smart but obviously different and just wanting to fit in.

As for him being a player, Jade said she didn't think so. He apparently has been seeing one of her favorite third year women and there are no rumors about him seeing anyone else.

Jade did mentioned that he had stepped in to assist another of her favorites with a drunken ex boyfriend. No violence, he was very polite she heard, but the girl she spoke to said he changed almost instantly from a nice guy into one, as the girl put it, 'Radiated menace.' It seems like he is the real deal."

I'll give you a call Sunday morning and let you know how the Barbeque went.

When Bill called Jade he had no idea that he was calling to talk about Jade's three people of interest. When the call ended Jade decided it was worth any indiscretion she may have made to find out that not only had Violet, Astrid and Jack become good friends but they were working together. She smiled thinking lord help anyone that got in their way.

Sunday morning came and Bill called Arne as arranged

"Morning Arne. God I wish you could have been here, it was a riot. When I let them know the jig was up on the con they just smiled at me. The thing is, based on their original premise that Asti needed to be sprung from an overprotective father figure they played me perfectly. Right from the start they wanted me to suspect a con so I wouldn't dismiss their plan out of hand and would look into them, then find out they were exactly what they said about each other.

When you think about it, using the truth in a way I would be suspicious was absolutely brilliant.

You should have seen their faces when I asked them if anyone had considered that, as an adult, all Astrid had to do was tell us she'd be going out for the night and we'd okay with that. I had a hard time not laughing at them.

I was talking with Jack later and what we suspected they were up to in terms of looking out for Astrid was bang on.

Vi, as they call Violet, and Jack both like her and are protective of her.

Though there is one prospective problem looming on the horizon. While I was talking with Jack he said in all sincerity Astrid was like a little sister to him. I happened to glance at Astrid, who was in earshot when he said that, and there was a brief moment when she looked crestfallen. I would say she has the beginning of a crush on Jack and he is completely oblivious. Thank god that problem is one for our wives to handle.

Astrid is a real treasure to have around and with friends like Vi and Jack you have nothing to worry about."

***

Astrid's first adventure with her new found freedom came Halloween night. The pub district had what they called All Hallows Eve, where two blocks were closed off for a huge costume party and for that night only, patrons of the pubs were allowed to have open alcohol on that street.

Astrid's study group arranged to meet at the campus and go together, the group swelled after Kate called him. Kate, Gina, Liz, Kevin and Dave agreed to join the group for the walk down to the festivities.

Fortunately the weather co-operated and it was unseasonably warm that evening.

Jack had been allowed to keep his miner's work clothes and had brought them with him just in case of a Halloween party, as he had used them as a costume before. He had made the only thing he wasn't allowed to keep, the miner's cap lamp and belt battery pack for the previous party, so the only thing he needed to do was rub on black face make up, get dressed and he was ready to go.

He went to the Williams and picked up Asti who was dressed as a clown and they walked to the steps of the Law School, the arranged meeting place.

Shortly after they got there Roscoe and Sheila arrived. Sheila wasn't wearing a costume but Roscoe was wearing an old hat pulled down so far Jack couldn't see his eyes, a fake beard, black trench coat that went down past his knees over red long johns and old work books. When Asti asked him what he was supposed to be, he pulled open the coat revealing a length of old vacuum cleaner hose painted pink with a red tennis ball attached to the end coming out of the long johns and hanging down to his knees. Asti and Jack were in stitches they laughed so hard.

The others arrived as a group and to Jack's surprise Vi was with them. It turned out that she was the other woman sharing the flat with Kate and Gina.

Vi was dressed in a cobbled together outfit that included a tutu and when asked said she was a zombie Ballerina. Kate and Gina were both dressed as bunnies, wildly different bunnies.

The only things their costumes had in common where the ears and bunny tails.

Kate was in the traditional furry white suit. A tight white suit that showed off her, what Jack now knew, muscular figure to full advantage.

Gina on the other hand was dressed in the traditional Playboy bunny outfit with a beige full body suite as a concession to the time of year, to the disappointment of all males present.

The group stayed together for one drink, splitting up as other friends were spotted.

Vi led Asti to spots she thought might be fun with Jack following along at a discrete distance. He was little surprised when Kate stuck with him rather than wandering off with the other upper classmen.

He drank moderately shifting his gaze from Vi and Asti, to the events happening around him, to Kate who was also drinking moderately.

At one point he asked her if she wouldn't be having more fun with the others. She replied, "No I'm happy enough taking it easy tonight." She turned and shook her bunny tail at him and continued, "Besides I have plans for you tonight I want to be sober enough to fully enjoy them."

At one point Roscoe came up to them carrying a bottle of Canadian Club Whiskey he had won in a costume contest at Big Dick's Pub.

"The minute I saw they had the contest I knew this baby would be mine," he gleefully yelled. Opening his coat he said, "With a name like Big Dick's how could they resist, I was the biggest dick there." and proceeded to head off with a slight stagger.

Kate giggled, "Maybe he's the one you should be watching out for tonight."

Jack asked, "What do you mean?"

"First it was Roscoe at the dinner, then Gina at the pub and now Asti here." She answered

At first, her comment seemed a little off to Jack then he realized that as Vi's flat mate she would know of the efforts to spring Astrid and dropped the thought.

He did a quick scan to see if anyone was paying attention to them then slid in behind Kate put his arms around her waist and pulled her close to him. He did another quick scan then started rubbing his groin against Kate's ass. Using this distraction he quickly slid his hands up until he cupped her breasts and started playing with her nipples until they were fully hard and straining the material of her costume.

Their play time was interrupted when they heard Vi shout, "Back off asshole". When they turned and looked the saw a drunk had a hold of Astrid and was trying to kiss her.

Jack started to head towards them when Kate grabbed his hand and held him back.

"Slow down Jack, they're in no danger, and Asti needs to know her independence is real and she is not exchanging one set of chaperon's for another"

Sure enough Astrid freed herself and slapped the drunk in the face shouting, "Stay away from me Jerk!"

By the time all this had happened Kate and Jack were close at hand. When the drunk balled his fist Jack reached out and grabbed the guy's wrist. Getting the drunk's attention he squeezed the wrist saying in a low stern tone, "You don't have a problem with me and my friends do you."

The drunk took a look at expression on Jack's face and softly said, "No" while walking away.

The next thing he knew he was in the middle of a group hug of four women, Gina having appeared out of nowhere. Gina said, "Well that killed the mood for me and it's getting late so I think I'll head home. There was a quick conference among the women and they decided they all wanted to head home.

The mood on the walk back to the girls flat was somewhat subdued more because they were tired than the incident. They quietly talked about all they had seen and done and it seemed all in all the evening was a success.

Gina unlocked the door and they started trooping inside. Kate hung back and as Vi entered Kate said, "Astrid can use my room, I won't be back until morning."

As they were walking hand in hand back to Jack's apartment Kate said, "A great evening Jake."

He interrupted her, "Jake?"

"Yeah, Kathy to Kate, Jack to Jake. As I was saying we accomplished great things this evening Jake. I like that from now on just as I'm Kate to you, you are Jake to me.

Where was I? We may have single handed no tentuple handedly change the whole culture of this University. "

Jack laughed, "How did you get that idea out of this evening?"

"Everyone at All Hallows Eve Gras got to see that the women at this University, even the mild looking ones don't take shit from nobody, that if they get too aggressive that the men will step in to help. The men got to see this evenings male participant smothered by not one, but four beautiful sexy women, then leave the event with all four of them, thus providing ample incentive for them to be there for us."

Jack laughed saying, "Kate me darling, I think you might be over estimating the impact of tonight's events but it is certainly a nice thought."

They walked for a bit with Jack chuckling as he thought about Kate's grand view of the evening.

After he stopped chuckling Kate said, "Seriously, Jake thank you for stifling your Gallahadian, if that's a word, instincts when I asked. A woman has to learn she can successfully stand up for herself or she'll end up being victimized over and over. You may not have seen it but after she got over the shock of the incident Asti was proud of herself for the way she handled the situation. And while your intervention wasn't needed..."

"It wasn't?"

"No it wasn't. You were so focused on that asshole's fist you didn't see that Vi was in position, and ready, to kick the jerk in the balls if he made a move towards Asti. And quit interrupting.

As I was saying it does help that people know there are men who are prepared to step in and back us up."

"But I had told Asti's house parents I would look out for her."

"You didn't have an obligation to Gina when you backed her with Greg the asshole."

"I was with her that evening and besides she told me to stay out of it."

RDRocket
RDRocket
42 Followers