From Heaven... Ch. 04

Story Info
Sally comes to stay.
3k words
4.64
10.5k
4

Part 4 of the 6 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 12/01/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
soroborn
soroborn
107 Followers

As we were eating breakfast, the phone rang, and Tim leaned over to pick up the handset. "Hello?"

A smile spread over his face. "Hi, darling. Are you OK?"

He switched the phone to speaker, and I heard a familiar voice. "Hi, Dad, I'm fine." There was a brief hesitation. "I didn't call yesterday, I thought you might not really want to talk..."

"Thanks, darling," replied Tim. "It was OK. Actually, I've got some news. You remember Ariel?"

For a moment there was silence, then a hesitant voice. "Sure, Dad."

"She's come to stay for a while, she has a job here at the moment and I said I'd put her up."

I could sense Sally's confusion, but she said, "That's great, Dad."

"How about you come back for the weekend and we can go out somewhere, you two can get reacquainted?"

Sally sounded more confident. "I'd love to visit – I'll see you both on Friday night, then."

"Bye, darling."

Tim ended the call and looked across at me. "That's OK, isn't it?"

I grinned. "Fine by me. I think Sally was having a little trouble tying up what she remembers of me from when she was a little girl, with a very solid visitor at her Dad's."

Tim nodded. "But I want her to meet you – to know you the same way I do."

"Maybe you'll have to do some of the explaining first, before I frighten her out of her wits," I said.

He smiled. "I'll do my best."

He glanced at his watch. "I'd better get going – and I'll be keeping a close eye on my pen at the office."

I grinned. "I'm sure I can think of some other tricks."

Tim's day at the office was uneventful – despite my teasing, I kept my mischief to a minimum – and we got back to the house quite early in the evening.

"If Sally's coming at the weekend, we'd better do some shopping," said Tim. "We can get something to make for supper while we're there."

I nodded. "Another new experience for me."

We drove to the supermarket, and Tim fetched a trolley for us. "Want to push it?" he said.

"Sure," I said. "Good practice for driving your car one of these days."

Tim rolled his eyes. "There's a bit more to it than that."

We started to make our way round the shop, Tim selecting various items for the trolley. "I'll get some of Sally's favourite biscuits," he said.

"Oh, the ones with marshmallow in the middle," I said. "I always wondered what they tasted like." Tim gave a wry smile. "It's strange, realising that you already know so much about Sally."

I nodded. "I have some secrets of hers I'm still going to keep, too."

Tim grinned. "What, like which boy in her class gave her her first kiss?"

Now it was my turn to be surprised. "How did you know about that?"

He shook his head. "I'm not saying. But I did try and keep a close eye on her, bringing her up by myself."

I reached for his hand. "You did a pretty good job."

He sighed. "I hope you're right. She does seem to have got her feet on the ground."

I looked at him puzzled. "Is 'feet on the ground' a good thing?"

Tim chuckled. "Yes – I don't suppose it makes that much sense to you."

He looked at me. "Are you missing, well, the place you're from?"

I shook my head. "I'm surprised, actually – I'm really enjoying it here."

We reached the checkout, and I did my best to help Tim pack bags. I watched curiously as he used his card to pay. "It must be really strange, having to think all the time about having enough money for the things you need."

He shrugged. "I suppose we're used to it. I'm very fortunate – I have a good job, I make enough so I don't have to worry. But not everybody's in my position." We carried bags back to the car, and Tim drove home. He unpacked, putting most of the shopping away but leaving a few items on the kitchen worktop.

"Now," he said, "let's have something to eat."

I watched fascinated as he cracked eggs, grated cheese, added herbs, then divided up the mixture into two bowls and put them in the oven.

"OK, about thirty minutes," he said.

He made coffee for us and we sat at the table to talk. "What shall we plan to do when Sally's here at the weekend?" I asked.

"Well, you both like wildlife," he said. "I'll think about where we can go to see some unusual creatures."

I nodded. "I like the sound of that."

"I have some leaflets I picked up last time one of Sally's friends came to stay," Tim said. "You can flick through those to see if there's anything particular you want to see."

He fetched a pile of leaflets, and I was soon absorbed in what the various attractions were offering.

Tim glanced at the oven. "OK, I think I've timed this about right. You do have to eat this straight away, though."

He opened the oven and pulled out the hot dishes, putting one in front of me. I picked up my fork and took a bite.

"This is good," I said. "Hey, it's sinking!"

Tim grinned. "Told you, can't hang about with soufflé."

The soufflé was quickly gone, and I put down my fork. "That was great."

"It's still early," said Tim. "Want to watch a film?"

"OK."

We went through into the living room and Tim riffled through his DVD's.

"I'm trying to find one that you won't be shocked by," he said.

I smiled wryly. "I've had enough exposure to this world to know what goes on."

Tim pulled a DVD from the pile, a mischievous grin spreading across his face. "This one – I like Nicholas Cage and Meg Ryan."

He started the film playing, and we settled down side by side on the sofa to watch. As the plot began to unfold, I looked at him, seeing his eyes dancing with amusement.

"OK, I get why you chose this one," I said.

Tim smiled. "I don't suppose it's all that close to the truth."

I shook my head. "Not really."

We continued to watch, and I gasped as the main character was involved in an accident. "Is she OK?"

He didn't speak, and I looked across to see tears running down his face. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'd forgotten the ending – I don't think I've watched it since Sarah died."

I put my arm round Tim's shoulders, feeling his body shake with grief as the character left behind reflected, "I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss of her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One."

The film finished, and after the credits the screen went blank. Tim didn't stir from my arms, and I gently stroked his hair.

Finally he sat up. "Ria, thanks so much for being here. Someone knew what they were doing when they sent you."

I nodded. "Are you ready to sleep now?"

"If you stay with me?"

I looked into his eyes. "Why would I do anything else."

He went up the stairs, and after a few minutes I joined him, this time sitting on the bed, curling my legs under me and facing him. "Sleep tight."

***

In the morning, he stirred, and said, "Ria?"

"Hmm?"

"I had another dream."

I smiled. "Tell me..." "Well," began Tim, "I was back at the cemetery, walking away from Sarah's grave, and I looked across at that statue we saw. But in my dream, it was you standing on the pedestal."

He glanced at me. "Your wings were amazing, spread out. Then you stepped off the pedestal, and somehow you changed – your wings seemed to fold and disappear, and you were standing beside me."

"Then what happened?" I asked.

"That was it," Tim said.

I grinned and reached out one hand to pull him up to a sitting position. "Well, dreams or not, it's time you got up."

My eyes widened as he resisted, pulling me towards him. I could easily have held my position, but instead I sprawled on the bed beside him, looking into his face.

He chuckled. "You don't look quite so prim and proper now."

I gave him a puzzled look. "I don't really understand what you mean."

He shook his head. "No, I guess not. Not yet, anyway."

He rolled off the bed and stood. "Come on then, lazybones."

I got up, deliberately moving as quickly as I could, and Tim blinked as I was suddenly standing by him.

"I'll go and put the kettle on," I grinned. He nodded, and headed for the shower.

We sat and talked over breakfast. "I'll plan a trip for the weekend," said Tim. "When Sally gets here tomorrow night, we can just stay in, order pizza, catch up."

I nodded. "She might need some time to get used to who I really am."

We finished eating, and Tim got up. "Well, I'll see you at the office. Or rather, not see you."

He grinned, and I returned his smile, already thinking of what little tricks I could play to liven up the routine of his day.

When we returned home that evening, Tim made us a simple stew, and we ate it with fresh bread he'd picked up on the way home.

We sat for a while, then Tim pleaded tiredness, and went to bed early. I sat for a while in the darkened living room, looking out of the window at the stars. I watched them twinkling, so unlike the pure, unblinking light I was used to...

I shook my head. I reached out my senses, finding Tim asleep, breathing gently. I walked up the stairs, and sat beside him on the bed, my back resting against the headboard.

I hesitated, then pulled the covers over my legs. Tim turned over in his sleep, and as the back of his hand rested lightly against me, I saw him smile contentedly.

The next day passed uneventfully. Tim stopped off at the supermarket on the way home from work to get a few things for the weekend. When he reached the biscuits, I saw him give a knowing smile and drop two large packets of Sally's favourite marshmallow centres into the trolley.

We reached the house, and I watched as Tim unpacked. When he reached the packets of biscuits, I moved, faster than his eyes could follow, and extracted one biscuit, returning to my seat at the table to take a bite.

"Hey!" he protested, grinning.

"Just the one," I said through a mouthful of marshmallow. "Mm, these are even better than I imagined."

There was a knock at the door, and I swallowed the rest of my mouthful quickly, brushing crumbs from my lips.

Tim got up and went to answer the door. "Hi, darling," he said, giving Sally a hug. They walked back into the kitchen, and I got to my feet. I felt a strange sensation, almost a shyness about meeting this young woman again after so long.

"Sally," I said, holding out my hand.

She hesitated for a moment, then stepped forward and wrapped her arms around me, burying her head in my hair. We stood for long moments, then she moved back slightly. I could see the glint of tears in the corners of her eyes, and there was a catch in her voice as she said, "I never really had the chance to thank you for being there when I needed someone."

I smiled. "It's good to be back. I've been able to help Tim with one or two things."

Sally turned to her father. "Tell me everything – when did you two meet up again, what have you been doing?"

Tim grinned. "Let's talk while we eat. I thought we'd have pizza tonight."

Sally's eyes lit up. "Sure." She turned to me. "You probably know Tim likes lots of spices and hot stuff, but I prefer Hawaiian."

I grinned. "I'm with you on that one."

I gestured at the table. "And Tim got your favourite biscuits. I, er, I couldn't resist having one before you got here."

She smiled. "I think two packets should be enough for the weekend, especially if we keep them away from Dad."

She nudged Tim. "How about that pizza, then?"

He rolled his eyes and took the phone out into the hall to place our order.

Sally turned to me. "I never really saw you when you were here before, did I? I remember your voice, though."

I nodded. "This time I can be a bit more obvious. Tim's told everyone I'm an old school friend of yours who's just got a job here and he's putting me up for a while."

Sally grinned. "Sounds like the perfect cover."

Tim came back into the room. "Ah, pizza's on its way."

He glanced at us, then said, "I'll make coffee, shall I."

Sally and I sat at the kitchen table while Tim filled a cafetiere then poured coffee for us.

"So what have you got planned for us this weekend?" I asked him. Tim grinned. "If you can resist reading my mind, it's a surprise."

Sally glanced at me. "I hadn't thought of that. Be careful if you read mine, you might hear some different things than when I was ten years old."

I shook my head. "Don't worry, I won't eavesdrop on you. But if you think something you want me to hear, I'll know."

There was a knock at the door and Tim got up to fetch the pizza. "Here you go, you two," he said, returning and putting a large box in front of us.

Sally smiled at me and opened the lid. "Mm, smells good." She took a slice and bit into it, and I followed her lead.

Tim sat down and opened his own pizza. "You're sure you don't want some of this lovely pepperoni and these chillies?"

Sally made a face. "No way. Now, tell me everything – how did you two meet up again?"

Tim grinned. "Well, I was on my way back to the car from the office when I saw a young woman about to step off the kerb with the crossing at red. I put my hand on her shoulder to warn her, and when she turned round, she knew who I was."

He glanced at me. "I know I'm not that good with names, but I did think I'd have remembered if Sally had a friend at school like you who'd come round to see her."

He went on to our first trip out together, and Sally gasped as he described the rockfall.

She turned to me. "Ria, I don't know how to thank you." She hesitated. "Not that I want dangerous stuff to happen, but I'd really like to see some of the things you can do."

Tim smiled. "Ria has a few other special talents that don't involve falling rocks."

He described our trip to the sea-life centre, and Sally gave me an incredulous look. "It must be awesome to be able to have that kind of rapport with animals."

I nodded. "I can try and show you a little of how it's done."

Tim interjected. "One hint about our trip tomorrow – there are animals involved, and you'll get a chance to interact with them."

Sally closed our now-empty pizza box and sat back. "That was good – thanks, Dad."

She glanced at her watch. "It's been a long day, think I'll turn in. You coming, Ria?"

I nodded. "I hope you don't mind sharing your room with me?"

She shook her head. "That's pretty much how it was before, right?"

I grinned. "I guess so. Why don't you go on up and I'll join you in a minute."

Sally went up the stairs, and Tim glanced across at me. "I'll miss you tonight," he said.

I felt a strange fluttering in my chest. "Me too."

I grinned. "But don't worry. I'll still be watching you."

We climbed the stairs, and as I slipped into Sally's room I said, "See you for breakfast."

I closed the door behind me, and Sally came into the room from the en suite, already in a long t-shirt, brushing her hair.

"Bathroom's free," she said.

I smiled. "Don't really need it, thanks."

She sat down on the bed. "I guess I have a lot more to learn about you, don't I."

I sat beside her and took her hand. "Don't worry about it. Sure, there are a few things that'll seem odd, but I'm still me – the friend who you used to talk to all those nights."

She nodded. "If we get into bed and I put the light out, it'll be just like it was."

She drew the covers back and slid into bed. I hesitated for a fraction of a second, too short a time for her to even notice, then got in beside her. Sally pulled the covers over us, and reached to turn out the light.

"Ria?" she said.

"Hmm?"

"Are you allowed to... you know... hold me?"

I reached out and put my arms around her, and she snuggled closer to me. I felt her breath on my skin, her warmth next to me, and I sensed her heartbeat, just a little faster than I'd expected.

"Mm," she said. "I wish you'd been able to hold me like this before."

I stroked her hair with my hand, not knowing how to reply.

She settled her head more comfortably into the pillow. "G'night, Ria."

After a few moments she was asleep, and I reached out my senses to Tim in the room across the hall. He seemed restless, and I found myself wishing that I could be with him too, holding him in the way I was holding Sally.

I checked my thoughts. Surely that was something only a wife, a lover, could do in this world, wasn't it?

I settled for gently projecting a thought into Tim's mind: I'm watching. I promised.

He turned again, seeming to settle, and I divided my attention between watching his sleeping face and sensing the edges of Sally's dreaming thoughts.

soroborn
soroborn
107 Followers