From the Earth to the Moon Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Maya listened with a certain amount of incredulity as the American outlined his plan. It seemed the American was on very good terms with a certain Englishman nobleman and his sister in the India House. It also seemed said Englishwoman was in need of a seamstress on her staff and the American was sure that he could get Maya a trial employment immediately, with quarters for her and Alejandro. And if the English noblewoman did not care to take on Maya, James would get her a job and quarters sewing at the rocket place.

Maya would have dismissed the American's plan out of hand as delusional at best, or a nefarious attempt to separate her from her virtue at worst, except that there was a look of shock on the faces of the policemen and from the man she took to be the American's coach driver. The shock was not one of incredulity of the offer itself, but rather of the fact that the American was making this offer to her. Alejandro was very excited and asked if he could keep going to the American school. The American seemed a bit surprised about hearing of the American school, but then quickly stated that he would personally guarantee Alejandro's continuing education.

Maya turned to the police sergeant and asked him, "Can he really do all this?"

The police sergeant answered, "Madmwazèl, the American is one of the men who will ride on one of these rockets one day. He will probably be the first. If he chooses to do something on this island, I do not think there will be many who would try to hinder him."

Why the American was choosing to help her, why he chosen to rescue her, Maya could not fathom. Taking a steady breath, she told Alejandro, "Tell the American we accept his offer with thanks."

James talked hurriedly to Kenny as Alejandro and his sister gathered up their belongings under the watchful gaze of the Colonial police.

"Kenny, I know tonight is not what you were hired for, but if you could see your way into..."

Kenny held up a hand. "Mr. Davidson, I am more than happy to transport you and your newfound friends to India House, though I am not sure what type of reception you will receive there."

James wasn't sure what to expect himself. He thought...no, he hoped that Lady Brent would be receptive to his idea. And if she wasn't, he would just find a place for Alejandro and his sister to stay the night at the Moon Project's compound. Then he would have to make this same sales pitch to his brand new director.

James watched as Alejandro and his sister emerged from the apartment, each carrying a folded blanket's worth of belongings. The image broke James' heart, and he vowed that somehow, he would do right by the pair.

"I guess we all need to get going then," James said. The sergeant nodded, and led the group down the stairs and out of the building.

Maya expected to see the owner's agent outside the building when she and her brother were escorted out. Apparently, though, confronting the police along with her American rescuer was not something the man cared to do. The group made their way to the local colonial police outpost, where the carriage of the American's driver was waiting. The American exchanged a few words with the sergeant, handshakes were exchanged all around, and then the American helped her and Alejandro get into the carriage.

Alejandro was excited, of course. It was a grand adventure to him, riding in a carriage and talking to one of the Americans who worked at the rocket place. Maya smiled politely, but inside she was incredibly wary. If life had taught her anything, it was that you did not expect anything that you did not work hard for. Rescues of women in troubled situation were relegated to the storybooks that Alejandro sometimes brought home.

Alejandro spent the entire trip in excited discussion with the American. When the carriage came to the gate of India House, Maya expected it be turned away by the uniformed man at the gate. Instead, the American said a few casual words, the two men exchanged a laugh, and the uniformed man waved them in.

Well, he is a charmer, Maya admitted, And Alejandro seems to think he's like a hero out of one of his books. I just hope Alejandro's hero does not put us in a worse situation than what we left.

James was composing in his head the speech he planned to give to Lady Brent, constantly rewriting one sentence, editing a second, deleting a third and recasting the fourth. James had no doubt that Lady Brent possessed one of the most generous spirits he had ever known, but he was about to put that spirit to the test, with two potential wards in tow, each carrying a bag with all their worldly possessions.

As it happened, James discovered he had an unexpected advocate at hand to argue his case.

A servant escorted James and his entourage to the waiting room in the wing of India House that Lady Brent, her brother and their household occupied. As James entered the waiting room, he found Lady Brent and her servant Kalyani waiting for him. Lady Brent's face immediately paled at the sight of the thin line of red across James' chest.

"James, where have you..."

Lady Brent wasn't given a chance to finish her question, and James wasn't given a chance to answer. Alejandro immediately ran by James, screaming happily, "Lady Brent! Miss Kalyani!"

Lady Brent forced a smile on her face, "Kalyani, I believe we have one of our favorite rapscallions come to visit us!"

"You know him, Lady Brent?" James asked, slightly shocked.

"Despite his rambunctiousness," Lady Brent said, placing her hands fondly on Alejandro's shoulders, "this young man is one of my better students."

"You teach at his school?" James said, a hint of incredulity in his voice.

"Mr. Davidson, if you were under the impression that I spend my days waiting for you and my brother to return from flying your mechanical contraptions, and hosting the occasional dinner party, it is my duty to disabuse you of that notion. I spend a good deal of my free time at Miss Waggoner's American School for local children. I teach geography and British history, as well as help Miss Waggoner secure support for her school. Willy's even spoken to the children on more than one occasion. I would have asked you, but considering the nature of your relationship with Miss Waggoner..." Lady Brent let her observation drift into silence before continuing. "But right now I'm curious as to your present state of disarray, and the circumstances which have brought you into the company of Alejandro and the young woman in the hall. Kalyani, would you ask her to come in, please?" Kalyani said something in Creole French, and Maya tentatively stepped into the waiting room. Turning to James, Lady Brent explained, "Kalyani has a talent for languages. She accompanies me to the school to help me with the students whose English isn't as developed as it could be. Alejandro, is she your sister?"

"Yes, she is, Lady Brent. She's my sister Maya. We were coming over her because..."

"Why don't you start at the beginning, as if you were reading an assignment. And James," Lady Brent said, giving James a stern glance, "all my students know not to interrupt the child who is giving his report."

Alejandro recounted all the events of the evening, from his sister being cornered by three men, to his getting James' aid, and then their journey to India House.

"And Mr. Davidson was going to ask an Englishwoman if my sister could perhaps find work here as a seamstress, and a room for her and me. And if that didn't happen, he was going to take us to the Rocket facility to live and work. Do you think we can see the launch from the facility tomorrow, Lady Brent?" Alejandro asked excitedly.

"I'm sure we could arrange that, Alejandro," Sarah answered. "Kalyani, would you see if Robert is outside?"

Kalyani disappeared out the door and reappeared with a local man in India House livery. "Robert, would you mind taking this young man to the kitchen? I'm sure he's built up an appetite."

Robert gave a short bow of his head and a smile. "Boys that age don't build up appetites. They're always in a constant state of being hungry." Alejandro and Kalyani convinced a suddenly nervous Maya that her brother was just going to get something to eat. As soon as Alejandro disappeared, Lady Brent turned to Kalyani. "Kalyani, when Mr. Davidson is finished rescuing everyone on this island, which island do you think he will travel to next?"

"Lady Sarah, I don't think you're being very polite," Kalyani said with a suppressed giggle.

"Probably not," Sarah allowed. "Kalyani, if you would, send a man over to the ballroom, and advise them that one of the guests of honor is going to be late due to circumstances that we will explain when we get there. Then I need you to fetch a bowl of warm water, some tincture, one of my brother's undershirts and some sewing equipment for our guest standing quietly in the corner, trying not to be noticed. We can put her skills to the test if we're going to hire her at Mr. Davidson's behest."

"Right away, Lady Sarah." Kalyani exchanged a few quick sentences with Maya in French Creole, then headed out of the room.

"And Mr. Davidson, I will need you to remove your shirt and undershirt," Sarah instructed.

"Excuse me, Lady Brent?" James wasn't quite sure he had heard correctly.

"I need to examine that wound, and the young woman who you want me to take into my service will need to stitch up that rip. I don't expect it to be as good as new, but with the story that will circulate about your activities this night, it should serve its purposes. I would offer you one of Willy's shirts, but you have a more pronounced stature than him."

"Lady Brent, I don't think that's..."

"James, the cut needs to be examined. And believe it or not, I'm actually quite capable of rendering minor medical treatment. Both my father and brother are well versed in the pugilistic arts. I've had to tend to Willie on more than one occasion." Kalyani entered the room just as Sarah firmly told James, "Now please, Mr. Davidson, no more delays. Off with your shirt, sir."

Feeling more than a little embarrassed, James quickly removed his dress shirt, placing the cufflinks he had received earlier from Mr. Fiorvanzo into a receiving tray on a nearby table. Glad those didn't come loose in the tussle, James thought.

"Those are lovely, James," Sarah said, as she picked them up and examined them. "And something that Willie will no doubt feel jealous about. I don't doubt that, within a year's time, every ethernaut and those who dream of being ethernauts will want a pair just like these." Setting the cufflinks down in the tray, Sarah ordered, "Now your undershirt, James."

Pulling the tails of his undershirt from his trousers, James unbuttoned the collar and pulled it over his head.

Maya stared in amazement, not sure about the events that were unfolding before her. Kalyani openly ogled the bare torso of her personal hero; Sarah, though, was able to maintain the face of practical indifference.

He is a well-formed specimen of manhood, Sarah thought to herself, though she was not surprised at the number of faint scars he exhibited. From a lifetime of charging in where angels fear to tread, she mused.

"Kalyani, would you have our friend in the corner begin working on Mr. Davidson's shirt? Kalyani!"

Kalyani shook her head as if coming from a sound sleep, then sheepishly took the proffered shirt, handing it to Maya and giving her instructions in French Creole. Maya nodded, helping herself to the sewing supplies Kalyani had brought in to begin mending the shirt.

"Not too deep," Sarah said, as she gently washed the cut and examined it. "It should heal on its own without the need for stitches. This is going to hurt a bit," Sarah added, as she began to lightly apply the tincture.

It stung a little but, considering the doctoring he had been subjected to in the past, James found Lady Brent's touch quite soothing. "You really are quite good at this," James said admiringly.

"As I said, Mr. Davidson, my experiences aren't limited to the hosting of social engagements. My father is well acquainted with both John Chambers and Lord Queensberry, so I grew up knowing more about the gentleman's sport than some might think proper. I must confess, though," Sarah said quietly so only James could hear, "I don't approve of Lord Queensberry's intolerance."

Kalyani said something to Maya, who held up the shirt for inspection. Sarah eyed it with a critical eye. "Nothing to do about that blood stain, but the stitching is quite nice. Since there's not enough time for you to return and get another, this will have to do. And I suppose you can walk around and sport that stripe of red as another heroic accolade."

"Lady Sarah! That is not very nice!" Kalyani admonished her mistress.

"You're right, Kalyani." Turning to James, Sarah added, "You and my brother are two of the very best men of your generation, and I feel privileged to know you both. But sometimes the adventures you two pursue play havoc on a lady's nerves."

James did not know how to answer that statement, so he remained silent.

"Kalyani, please tell our new seamstress that she has a place in my household now. Take her to join her brother, make sure they both have a full stomach, and then find them a room. Tomorrow, we'll set her about her work."

Kalyani translated what Sarah had said, which brought a look of astonishment to Maya's face. She asked Kalyani a question, and Kalyani nodded her head emphatically. Maya immediately rushed over to Lady Sarah, grabbed her hands, and emphatically began thanking her. In French Creole, of course.

"Yes, yes," Sarah answered, gently pulling her hands from the other woman's grasp, "I'm quite sure you're very thankful, but perhaps we could do this tomorrow. Kalyani?"

Kalyani said a few words and Maya looked at her, smiling broadly and wiping tears from her face. She then turned to James and, surprising everyone in the room, embraced him tightly, burying her face in his bare chest.

James look stunned, holding his hands to his side. Sarah rolled her eyes. "It looks as if I have another James Davidson idolater in my employment. For heaven sakes, James, give her a proper embrace and be done with it. At some point tonight, I would like to reach the ballroom."

Diffidently, James put his arms around Maya. She gave him one last squeeze, smiled up at him, and then followed Kalyani out the room. Sarah shook her head then turned to James. "Mr. Davidson, there is a side room with a basin over there. Make yourself proper and please be back in her as soon as possible. Wait a minute..." Along with his shirt and undershirt, Sarah handed him a small pot and another washing cloth. "Use the Mum. No offense, Mr. Davidson, but your adventure has left you a bit gamey."

Sarah watched James enter the side room and close the door behind him. "The best man of his generation, and always beyond my reach," she said sadly to herself, before tending to her own appearance.

---

While James Davidson had entered the abode of Lady Sarah Brent, bloodied and eventually bowed to her will, his recent adversary was having a confrontation of his own concerning his recently acquired wounds.

The owner's agent, one Joseph King, was standing in front of the owner, Sir Daniel Devereux, youngest sibling of the current Viscount Hereford and owner of the building in which, until that night, Maya Ramirez and her brother Alejandro had lived in. It wasn't the only building that Daniel owned, and it was probably the least unsavory of his holdings. But Daniel was a man whose appetites and lack of morals allowed him to traffic and profit in the miseries of the lower classes of Castries. Such was his reputation that it was only his relationship to a peer of the realm, a few well placed bribes to the local constabulary and his ability to conceal his more unsavory trades and practices that kept him out of the hands of the Governor-General. However, his family was more than happy that Daniel chose to remain in one of the Empire's farthest reaches, and the local gentry preferred to keep Daniel at arm's length.

Daniel had no problem with the practice of the latter. Tonight, quite a few of them would be gathered at India House to celebrate something or another. Probably something to do with the rocket project. Daniel thoroughly approved of the rocket project. It attracted the members of the local populace seeking trade and commerce, and gave Daniel the opportunity to whet his appetites by preying among the less fortunate in that crowd.

Daniel smiled with amusement at the tale Joseph was trying to weave for him. The deception was easy enough to see through. There was a woman Joseph desired, and she had rebuffed his advances. Joseph chose to press the issue, and secured allies to assist him. He undoubtedly would have been successful if not for the intervention of an American associated with the rocket project. An American who enjoyed a certain amount of local popularity, from the account of Joseph's words, and one who seemed quite adept at physical confrontations, from the look of the bruises and cuts on Joseph's face.

Normally, such a confrontation would not have warranted Daniel's attention. Daniel had his appetites, and knew his employees had theirs, and his only rule concerning such things was that his employee's appetites did not interfere with the performance of their duties. So normally the events of tonight's altercations would have provided an amusing anecdote, and nothing more.

Except the colonial police had become involved. Which meant Daniel would be expected to cross a few palms with silver. And there was always a chance that that old bird Dallas would decide to move against him. The rumors were that the governor-general wanted to return to his ancestral home for good, and the resulting embarrassment of putting the younger brother of a Peer of the Realm into chains might accomplish the goal.

As Joseph finished his story, he was visibly sweating. Attracting the attention of the police had not been a good thing, and he knew his employer, despite the smile on his face, was not pleased.

"So how is it, Joseph, that the police or the American even became involved?" Daniel asked.

"It was the younger brother of the girl that I was evicting. I think he knew the American from the school he goes to. And the police came because of the American."

It was probably a bit more complicated than that, Daniel reflected, but Joseph's simple mind wouldn't be able to ferret out the cause and effects going on behind the scene. It was not the first time, however, that Daniel had heard of the American school from his employees, and each time it was mentioned, some activity of his was detrimentally affected. Daniel also knew something of the American woman who ran it, with the assistance of the daughter of an English nobleman. Daniel would normally be amused at the activities of ladies of leisure who wanted to become active in "causes." However, both of these woman presented the potential of bringing to light some of his other trades, those which a properly bribed colonial police force could not ignore, particularly with a Governor-General who was always waiting to be presented the opportunity to move against Daniel. Daniel couldn't act against either woman directly. Even if he were able to keep his connections to such actions out of the light of official scrutiny, there would be enough suspicion on him that the Governor-General would act, consequences or no. But perhaps he could instill fear on those assisting the two women...

"Be at ease, Joseph," Daniel said in a voice of cold charm. "You're redemption is at hand. I have a small task I wish you to perform in a few days. Do this for me, and all will be forgiven."

12