Frozen Mothballs Ch. 03

Story Info
Conclusion; set-up for next series.
8.8k words
4.79
9.6k
3

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 04/03/2017
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This story is part of an ongoing series. The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 11 - Political Mothballs

"Crowbar!" shouted Chief Griswold into the phone, "we gotta be in Midtown by 10:00am! Big announcement! Governor wants you and me there! Cindy too!"

"Chief, we've got a double murder here!" I protested.

"And your people can handle it." said Griswold. "I've already called Moynahan. Go grab a suit and meet me at County Airport!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday, February 18th. Yep, it must be big, I thought to myself. The Governor sent a helicopter to come get us. As Cindy, Chief Griswold, and I flew down with our pilot, our route going above the University-Midtown Highway, I told the Chief about the crime at King & Ebenezer."

"Frickin' copycats." growled Griswold. "Think that's a message towards you, Crowbar?"

"Yes Chief." I said. "Well, it's certainly bravado on someone's part, and maybe poking me in the nose."

I also filled Chief Griswold in on the Black Velvet serial killings. "Cindy! that's something else I need to do... have Headmaster Meadows questioned."

"I asked Teresa to have him brought in, and Krueger and Myron will question him." said Cindy. "Krueger needs to do more of that kind of work." I just nodded.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There was a frenzied air of excitement around the State Capitol Building. The Governor had brought me to his private washroom near his office so that I could shower, shave and change clothes into the suit I'd brought. I wore a blue tie, slightly darker than 'middle' but not too dark.

Once done, I joined the others, who were eating breakfast. "So, has the Iron Crowbar figured this out?" asked the Governor.

"The SBI bill must've passed." I said.

"Very close." said the Governor. "After that shooting incident in the City, Molinari and Cerone both came to Midtown, and they came to see me. They were going to let you tell me about their compromise, but everyone is speeding up the timetables now. I liked what they did... well, I liked it enough to tell them I'll sign it. Their aides spent last night whipping up the votes in both parties. The only people that I don't think know yet are Katherine Woodburn and Justin Madoff."

I smiled brightly at that... it would be soooo much fun to see Katherine's face when she did hear about it. Cindy began chuckling.

"Amused, Ms. Ross?" asked the Governor.

"Governor," said Cindy, "you'll have to excuse my rudeness and directness here. But Katherine Woodburn is hot for the Iron Crowbar. She wants him so bad she can't stand it. They're going to end up having sex one day."

The Governor was stunned. I was trying hard, but I couldn't hold back and I started laughing uncontrollably, my hand over my eyes. Chief Griswold was laughing, too, his mustaches twitching as merrily as I've ever seen them twitch.

"Just watch, sir, at the announcement." Cindy said. "It's going to be written all over her face."

The Governor let out an uncertain laugh himself, then said "Okay, Ms. Ross. Wish I'd known that at the beginning of all this."

"Governor," said Cindy, "you didn't think they call this man the Iron Crowbar because of that metal red stick he carries, do you?"

"Oh my goodness..." said the Governor, who was catching on that Cindy was actually ribbing me. "Is this normal between you two?"

"No sir." I said, still laughing. "This is tame compared to a normal day. I hope that FBI job is still available, Captain."

"FBI?" said the Governor, his voice sounding stunned. "Are you joining them?"

"No sir." said Cindy. "They offered, but I turned them down."

"Oh, thank God!" gasped Chief Griswold.

"Chief?" cried out Cindy, "you knew, too?"

"Of course I knew!" growled Griswold. "And I gave them the most glowing reference I knew how to write. I told them that after the Iron Crowbar here, you'd be the best FBI Agent they could possibly hire. And then I told them it would tear me up if you did join them, because I'm selfish and I want you to stay on my Police Force."

"Awww." said Cindy. "Thanks, Chief."

"You've got one heck of a team, Grizz." said the Governor. 'Grizz' vigorously agreed.

After more chatter, it was time to go. As we got ready to leave, Cindy said "Just remember to watch Senator Woodburn, sir. You'll see it." The Governor just shook his head.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A large podium was set up outside the the entrance to the House chamber. A huge number of reporters were milling about, including Meredith Peller from Midtown. She corralled me for an interview.

"I am not sure what the specifics are." I said in answer to her question, trying not to look at her shapely legs, and not quite succeeding. "I do know something has been worked out."

"Is it true there was an assassination attempt on the Senators yesterday?" Meredith asked.

"I am not sure the Senators were the targets, but there was an incident yesterday, and I'm still investigating it along with the City Police. You'll have to ask them for more information on that."

"Is it also true you are going to be appointed to clean out the corruption in the SBI?" Meredith asked.

"Your question is the first I'm hearing of it, Meredith." I said.

Then the ceremonies were about to start. I was called to the stage. I saw Katherine Woodburn near the front, looking furious. She'd been told just moments ago, and I could see her suppressed fury as our eyes locked.

First to speak was Senator Molinari: "In all of my decades of tough business negotiations and decisions, followed by the years of tough negotiations here in the Statehouse, I can honestly tell you that this SBI bill is far and away the toughest thing I've ever been a part of negotiating. But with the help of my friend Jimmy Cerone, and the hard work of friends like Billy Williams and Sharon Marshall and Isaac Jacobson, we've reached an accord on an SBI bill that will be accepted by both sides and by the Governor."

Politicians cheered and the Media almost burst open with frenzied questions as Senator Jimmy 'Coffin' Cerone came up. "Yes," he said, "what my friend Moe Molinari just said is true. This was hard and tough negotiating, but we've reached something that will be the best for the most people. And Sharon Marshall and Isaac Jacobson were tireless workers helping to get the bill done. On the outside looking in, we received valuable input from Commander Donald Troy, who is also our SBI Reserve Inspector. He did great work helping us. And we appreciate Wilson Hammond's efforts in bringing this bill to a successful conclusion, as well. Governor Jared, would you like to say a few words?"

"Thank you, Senator." said the Governor, taking the podium. I could see some amusement on his face, and I looked at Cindy, who was not quite succeeding at stifling a grin herself. "This bill is a very well-crafted compromise, and one that I can support." said the Governor. "The SBI will take a support role, helping local law enforcement in keeping our citizens safe. The Narcotics Task Force will have new structure and new leadership, and will be able to achieve its goals of ridding our State of filthy drugs without encroaching upon and overriding the jurisdictions of local law enforcement. This bill is not perfect, but it does the most good for the most people. And with outstanding law enforcement officers like Commander Don Troy, we can make this bill work in our counties and towns and cities, as well."

The Governor concluded: "But the true praise for this successful compromise bill belongs to Senators Molinari and Cerone, two adversaries working together for the benefit of the People of the State." He had Molinari and Cerone come back up, and as everyone applauded, their handshake became a hug. This was a much larger moment than many people realized, I thought to myself.

After a few more comments, Molinari and Cerone opened the floor for Media questions. The Media only wanted to know one thing: "Which one of you was the target of the assassination attempt yesterday?"

After that question came about five times, Molinari waved for me to come up. The Media quietened as I said "We are continuing to investigate the incident yesterday. It would be premature to suggest that either Senator Molinari or Senator Cerone was the actual target."

"Were YOU the target, Commander?" asked someone, who turned out to be Tim Sioban of KSB.

"It is possible that I was the intended target, yes." I said, seeing my chance. "We have been investigating several killings that some of you have dubbed the Black Velvet murders. While investigating these crimes, we've discovered an abandoned Federal installation just north of the State Line along the State Highway 141 road. It is unclear what is going on at that facility, but it could be the discovery of its secret operations is the reason behind the murder attempt while I was in that office."

The Governor had again been trying to stifle laughs, until he heard those words. Needless to say, I had the attention of a stunned Media and political audience.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After the big press conference, the Legislators went in and voted. Katherine Woodburn's efforts to derail the vote were quickly shot down. Only a smattering of votes in either body of the State Legislature were in the negative, and the SBI Bill for the year was passed. The Budget would not be long in following, I knew.

In the Governor's Chambers, I came upon the Governor and Cindy, who were laughing hard. "You were right, Captain, you were right." said the Governor. "Katherine Woodburn... was drooling over the Iron Crowbar."

"Har!" laughed Chief Griswold as he came up to me. "Listen, kid, there are Media outside the door. They want to know more about this Federal installation you were talking about... a lot more."

"Let's go tell them." I said. I stepped out into the hallway, and was surrounded by reporters...

... and then I saw him.

Standing in front of a doorway, he was nearly bald, very tall, wearing gold wire-frame glasses, and wearing a three piece suit. Our eyes locked, and I knew. I knew it was him... the man who had stood over me while I was being tortured by the CIA. The look on his face was one of sheer hatred.

"Hey, you!" I shouted out. "Stop right there!" I tore through the reporters, but the man had opened the door behind him and stepped through. As I got to the door, two men in suits came up.

"Stop! You can't go in there!" one of them said, trying to grab me. I brushed him aside as I tried the door. It was locked.

"Get your hands where we can see them!" yelled the men, who were Capitol Security. They were drawing guns. That was a mistake.

*THWACK!*

A green crowbar connected solidly with one of the men's back. The other stopped to look over, and my crowbar came down on his hands. The weapon clattered to the floor.

"Get YOUR hands up, NOW!" ordered Cindy, whose own gun was now out and ready to fire. Meanwhile, I jimmied open the door the man had gone through. It was a vestibule leading downstairs.

For the first time in my professional career, I froze. I had a sudden premonition that my death awaited me if I went down those stairs. And that the man would be long since gone, anyway.

"What are you motherfuckers doing stopping me?" I snarled at the men as other Security came up. I yelled out "Take these men into custody! They just aided a criminal getting away!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"There's nothing on the tapes, sir." said the Midtown Police Officer. Chief Frank Soltis had come down and taken over from the State Capitol Police, who were ready to shoot me. The Governor had ordered them to stand down.

"I saw that man, too." said Griswold. "Right in front of that door. He went through the door when the Iron Crowbar went after him."

"Who is he, Don?" asked Chief Soltis. "He's not on the tapes, which could well have been doctored or the cameras inoperable."

"I don't know his name." I said. "But he was at another crime scene where I was involved (that's an understatement!), and I think he was listening to me talking about that Federal facility north of the State Line up near the City."

"Well," said Soltis, "the Capitol Police officers are saying they didn't see anyone, only saw you trying to go into a restricted area, then you and Captain Ross resisted arrest and held them at gunpoint. I told them I thought you were in the right, but they're still mad. And I have nothing I can detain them over, either."

I exhaled, knowing that those guys were part of the problem, but being unable to do anything about it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We were driving home in a limousine provided by the Governor. A TCPD Police SUV was following, driven by Sergeant Rudistan with Lt. Irwin riding shotgun.

"So, Crowbar, what was that about?" asked Griswold as we got underway. "If I didn't know you as well as I do, I'd say the Capitol Police weren't wrong to stop you."

"Except that's not a restricted area, it's stairs to the underground parking garage." I said. "They were protecting that man I saw, and it's not the first time I've seen him."

"When were the other times?" Cindy asked. I let my eyes drift to the limo driver, who was listening but pretending not to, and she understood I wouldn't say out loud.

"So why put out that information about that Federal installation?" asked the Chief.

"To protect our lives." I replied "I believe the assassination yesterday was directed at me and Cindy. Someone wanted to silence us before any more got out about the secret Federal installation. Now if they kill us, the Media will be all over it as a cover-up of that facility... and I need not add the Media may or may not try to find out what's there, and in so doing they'll help me out."

"That's a dangerous game to play, Crowbar." said Chief Griswold. "But I do admit it might have been the only way to keep them from trying to kill you again."

Part 11 - Moths To The Flame

Still Saturday, February 18th. Back at home, at Police Headquarters, I called Laura and asked her to come to my office. Once she got there, I told her, Cindy and the Chief what I thought.

"When I was being drugged and tortured, right before you came and saved me," I said to Cindy, "I saw that man looking down at me. I thought it was part of the dream state, but Laura says we can't make up people in our dreams, we have to have seen real people at some point in our lives, and those are who we dream about. But I saw that man, and then I saw him at the State Capitol, and when our eyes met... I knew, and he knew I knew."

"That's true about the dream state; at least it's current theory." Laura said. "So he was the one?" I nodded vigorously.

"Who do you think he is?" Cindy asked. I looked at Laura, who nodded.

"There are people in the CIA, as well as the NSA, at a very high level, who run various operations." I said. "They are not known to the Public. I believe this man is one of them. I don't know his name or if he even has one, I have no idea what his role and mission is with the Company, but I do know he was working with Casey B. Walker on one certain day, which was almost my last day on earth."

Just then, there was another knock on my door. Jack Muscone came in.

"You've done it now, Don. Telling the Media about that Federal facility." he said. "My boss has been recalled to Washington. The CIA was moving to revoke your Top Secret clearance, but the FBI pushed back... and then your wife pushed back harder. I thought she'd retired." He looked at Laura as he said it.

"I did retire." Laura said, smiling craftily. "I'm just a consultant with them now... but I still have a few strings to pull. Fortunately, Don was never briefed on that installation nor did he ever sign a non-disclosure about it, so their claims he breached security protocols did not hold up."

"Can someone tell me now what that place was or is about?" I asked.

"I honestly don't know, darling." Laura said. "But with this kind of agitation, it's a hornet's nest in there, for sure."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I was sitting in Classroom 'E', watching the tapes of the interviews of Walnut Prep Headmaster John Meadows by Detective David Krueger and Detective Teddy Parker. Krueger and Myron Milton were sitting with me.

"We thought this would be a great time to experiment with the new technology, sir." said Myron, in response to my asking why he hadn't been in on the interview himself. "David is wearing a tiny clear earpiece, like you do at the Policeman's Ball to listen to the Wildcats in the Conference championship game. I'm on the computer in the anteroom, bringing up data and I can feed David questions."

"Oh." I said, getting enthusiastic. "That's cool stuff. How did it work out?"

"I thought it was really positive." said Krueger. "As you're about to see, we really could direct and re-direct the questions based on his answers.

"Okay, roll tape." I said. We settled in to watch:

Krueger first read Headmaster Meadows his rights from the card. Meadows's attorney was Mr. Gibson Stelling, who had represented Chris Washburn in the 'Hot Wife Photos' case.

"Mr. Meadows," said David Krueger, "did you know a Professor Yarborough of City University?"

"Yes, I knew him." said Meadows.

"You studied with him?"

"Yes." Meadows said. Krueger had paused, as if to let Meadows expand on his answer, but Meadows said no more.

"What did you study under him?" asked Krueger after a moment.

"Education." said Meadows. Again, no elaboration.

"Can you be more specific?" asked Krueger.

"Ask my client what you want to know and he'll answer." said the lawyer. "I've advised him against answering open-ended questions."

"Okay, if you want to play it that way." said Krueger, his voice hardening. "Mr. Meadows, did you do your doctoral thesis under Dr. Yarborough?"

"Yes."

"But you did not finish it, and you never got your Ph.D., correct?"

"That is correct."

"Why didn't you finish?" asked Krueger, speaking rapidly, firing his questions like bullets at Headmaster Meadows.

"Dr. Yarborough died." said Meadows.

"And you weren't reassigned to another professor? You could've finished your thesis, couldn't you?"

"I was not reassigned." said Meadows. "Dr. Yarborough's death was devastating to me. I never pushed to go forward. Over time I found that I didn't need the Ph.D. to run Walnut Prep."

"Sir," said Teddy Parker, "would you call Dr. Yarborough's teachings and ideas mainstream, or unusual vis-a-vis the mainstream?"

"You mean politically?" asked Meadows.

"No, not necessarily." said Parker. "I'm asking what your opinion of his ideas were."

"He taught empowerment of the individual." said Headmaster Meadows. "He believed that respecting and empowering young individuals would boost their self-esteem and swerve them away from crime."

Parker asked: "Do you believe his teachings were vindicated by the experiments at Millwakee?"

"That was before my time with Dr. Yarborough," said Meadows, "and I don't care to speculate on the success or failure of his ideas."

"What was your thesis about, Mr. Meadows?" asked Krueger.

"The advantages of private schools over the public education system." said Headmaster Meadows.