Fulfillment 12

Story Info
Sampson's admission, a mating, Stephanie's story.
8.9k words
4.69
22.3k
21

Part 12 of the 19 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/22/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KemMyst
KemMyst
1,302 Followers

Dear Readers,

Sorry, this part of the story broke up kind of funny so it's not the neatest transition.

Also, because of what's going on, there really isn't any sex in this chapter.

There will, as you might expect, be more later.

Enjoy,

KemMyst

*****

Thursday

Calvin called to Sampson and they ate breakfast in his room.

"So, Cal, you've called me here for a reason?"

"As much as I hate to think about it, we need to consider my replacement."

"You won't be dying anytime soon, my Alpha."

Calvin closes his eyes and sighs. "You know the reality of the situation as well as I, Sampson. My mate is gone. My son is gone. I have no heir. We need to talk about my successor. If you don't want it, we need to look at the candidates and start grooming someone."

"As crazy as it sounds, what about one of the sons of one of the other Alphas?"

"Ah, thank you for thinking of what I hadn't. Even one of their Betas might be a possibility. Alright, let's set out our possibilities. Within the pack. The potential Alpha heirs. And the Betas. We'll figure out who we have and narrow the choices down from there."

"The pack is only now getting settled down again. And there is some grumbling about the new budget. Another change of this magnitude will certainly upset them."

"We're only examining the possibilities, Sampson. Nothing needs be done right now. But I'm tired, Sampson, and I'm old, and I won't live forever."

***

Lyssa and Joanna practice fighting in the circle. After a good session that has both panting, Alex and Stephanie approach for a session of their own.

Lyssa and Joanna sit on their haunches to watch. They could learn by watching the others. So they watched and critiqued, shifting to intermediate form along the way. Then Alex performed the maneuver that he and Emmett had developed, sending Stephanie flat on her back. She got up and growled. "Again." The second time she is rocked back on her heels, off balance, but still standing.

Further work has her using the same move on him and he goes down. "Selene," he growls.

Lyssa looks at Joanna. "Why is that so hard to dodge?"

Alex and Stephanie look at her. He says, "Stephanie is best at avoiding being taken to the ground. But she is only successful about half the time."

"Really?"

Stephanie growls at her. "You've barely learned the basics. You're not ready for anything this complicated."

Lyssa grumbles. "Doesn't look that complicated."

There is a brief exchange between Alex and Stephanie. "Come down here then. Let us see how easy it is."

Lyssa stands and walks down into the circle. Stephanie faces her. Lyssa looks at her.

Two breaths, and Stephanie moves. Lyssa dodges to the left, out of Stephanie's grasp.

Alex and Joanna gasp.

Angered, growling, Stephanie tries again. Lyssa dodges again, keeping her feet.

"Alex, what am I doing wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Maybe you should test her."

Stephanie fades back and Alex moves into position. Lyssa watches him, waiting for him to move. She settles into a posture of readiness when he moves. She drops down and, kicking to the right, sweeps him off his feet.

He looks up at her, from his landing place, on his butt. "How did you do that?"

Lyssa shrugs. "No idea. Just doesn't look that hard."

The three of them now look up at Joanna. She looks down at them. "What?"

"Come down here, Jo," Alex says.

A huff, and Joanna walks down into the circle. "Have you been watching?"

"Yeah."

"Alright, then. I'm going to try it with you. Ready?"

"Why me?"

Alex moves, sinuous, shifting. Joanna stumbles, mostly avoiding him, but doesn't go down completely.

He looks at Stephanie. "Incredible."

[Emmett, Erich, would you come to the circle?]

Emmett comes back, [Why?]

[There's something you need to see.]

Lyssa looks at Alex. "What's going on?"

"We need to show some of the others."

"What others?"

"The Betas are coming. Everyone would expect you to be taken down by that maneuver. They will want to see."

Emmett and Erich arrive and the four experienced fighters take turns trying to knock down both Lyssa and Joanna. Joanna is taken down about a quarter of the time and Lyssa is knocked down only once.

The others are shocked and mystified. Why would either of them be able to avoid a series of movements that the experienced fighters could not? Their were two clear possibilities. One was that, for some reason, females were better able to see the patterns and avoid the strike that would take them down. The other was that experienced fighters were set into some patterns that made it more difficult to respond in a way that would keep them upright.

Emmett approaches his mate and she holds her hands up to fend him off. "Seriously, Em, I think I'm done."

The Betas look at each other. "Well, Erich, I think we need to do some testing."

"I suppose so."

Randall is informed of the new development with respect to the Wyeth's virtually foolproof takedown moves during a brief intermission in servicing his mate. He concurs with Emmett's assessment and agrees that testing of younger members be done.

***

Stephanie, after the others left, is vaguely unhappy.

Calvin had not come. He had said he would see her soon. He'd sent flowers with a note that reiterated that message.

She inhaled, exhaled, and stood there. Well, after all, he was Alpha now. Again. Why would he want anything to do with her?

She didn't need a male, didn't want a mate. She had only been a distraction for him, since he apparently didn't have much to do after he handed Alpha to his son.

So. Best to ignore it. To forget him. She steeled her heart to stop expecting him. To go back to doing what she had before he had insinuated himself into her life.

***

Later that evening, Lyssa sits beside her mate, watching The Fast and the Furious. Again.

She almost had all the dialog by heart, now. She waited until the current sequence concluded then turned to him. "Have you ever played chess with Stephanie?"

Emmett does a doubletake. "What? Who?"

"Stephanie? Chess?"

"No. Why?"

"I was wondering how good she was and if I should ask her to play a few games."

"I'm not following, sweetheart."

Lyssa looks at him. "Alright, First Beta, you haven't noticed Stephanie's mood the past couple of days?"

"I haven't noticed much different."

"Then you aren't looking." He growls, turns off the film and turns to his mate.

Lyssa looks at him, eyebrows raised. "She's quiet, grumpy, and keeping to herself."

"That's not unusual for her."

"She's been staring off into space and thinking hard about something. I think she misses Calvin. Alpha Ross. He's come to see her pretty much every day since the party. Since she's not into girly things I was trying to figure out how to, well, occupy her, give her something else to think about."

"Lyssa. Are you saying you don't expect Alpha Ross to continue to see her?"

She looks into his chocolate brown eyes. "Why would he want to?"

"Are you serious?" He looks at her dark brown eyes and sees doubt there. "Alpha Ross has lost his mate and has obviously been looking for companionship, why would he stop?"

"Well, he's Alpha now. Can't he get just about any female he wants?"

"Depending on how traditional he wishes to be, he could take his son's mate."

"You're making my point for me."

"You didn't let me finish." He looks at her. She says nothing. "But, if so, he probably would have done it already. He's showing behavior seen in some of the older ones who stalk a mate."

"Stalking is not a good word to use in the human world."

"You understand what I mean. Carefully, slowly, approaching skittish prey. Circle, close, come from another direction."

"Is he much older than Randall?"

"Yes. That's part of why he made his son Alpha."

"OK. I guess. But what do we do about Stephanie?"

"I'm not sure we should do anything."

She turns slightly and pokes him in the chest. "OK, First Beta, aren't you supposed to be concerned with pack members' welfare?"

"It's also not my place to pry."

Lyssa huffs, crossing her arms over her chest. "Seriously? Everybody knows everybody else's business."

He inhales. "I'm not sure what to do. And, if I were to ask her, she'd tell me nothing was wrong and to leave her alone."

"Are you sure?"

"Lyssa, you are First Beta, too. Females are you and Ariel's job. Get Erich's mate in on it."

"I'm trying to figure something out and you're not helping."

"Ask her. Spar with her. Talk to Ariel."

"Fine."

"Are you mad at me for some reason?"

"If you don't know I'm not going to tell you."

Emmett pulls her into his arms. She pushes at him. "Let me go."

He nuzzles her neck, inhales her scent. "You smell so good."

She twists, trying to get away from him. He holds her tighter. [Are you going to go to her now, mate?]

[No.]

[Then how 'bout I make you feel better?]

"Emmett Forester, are you trying to seduce me?"

He's licking her neck, nibbling at her jawline. [Is it working yet?]

Lyssa smiles and climbs into his lap, straddling his waist. [I don't know, maybe you should try something else.]

Emmett moves his mouth lower, and sucks on her breast, pulling at the nipple through the heavy cotton t-shirt.

***

Stephanie wakes a couple of days later, alone, as usual, in her single bed.

She rises slowly to greet the day. Although it was early, breakfast would be served soon. She stretched and dressed, then padded down to the dining hall.

The others wandered down for their first meal of the day. Lyssa looked over at Stephanie, then to Ariel, who had finished her heat the night before. [Madam Alpha, does Stephanie seem depressed to you?]

Ariel's blue eyes turn to Lyssa's dark brown. [She seems more taciturn than usual.]

[Thank you.]

[Do you have something in mind?]

[Yes.]

One of the younger pups runs up to the Alpha couple and growls. Ariel turns and Randall faces his young opponent. "Think you're a big male, eh, pup?" More growling from the young one. "Alright, then, show me how tough you are."

Randall shifts to wolf and the pup, a small black and tan male, leaps at him, mouth open. The youngster catches his Alpha's ear and Randall knocks him over. Still growling, the pup tries again. Randall knocks him down again and puts his teeth around the young one's throat. The pup goes deathly still.

After a few seconds, Randall lets go and steps back. The pup twists and gets to his feet, head low, tail between his legs. [Be careful of what your friends dare you to do, pup.] The young male slinks on his belly away from his Alpha.

***

Calvin and Sampson are eating breakfast in the Alpha suite and discussing progress.

"Cal, you're tired. You've been working on this for five straight days. You should take a break. You have some time to make the changes; things won't disintegrate in a few hours."

"There's just so much to be done, Sampson."

"I know. But you won't help the pack if you're too overcome to make good decisions."

"You're right. You're right. I should take some time before looking at some of this again."

"Good. What would you like to do?"

"I'm not sure."

"What about the Wyeth female? You should visit her."

"Ah, Sampson, how is it, in all these years, you haven't found a mate?"

Sampson inhales and sighs. "My Alpha, I don't want you to think less of me."

Calvin looks confused and concerned. "What do you mean?"

Sampson looks down, rubs his forehead with his hand. "I have never found females to be... enticing."

Calvin looks at his friend and Beta as if the world had suddenly shifted on its axis. "Are you saying you don't like females?"

"I prefer the company of males, Cal." There is a pause. Calvin was rather a traditionalist, primarily because of his age. "It does not impact my work here. I hope this does not strain our relationship." Cal looks at him for a few moments, as if struggling to understand this new turn. He couldn't imagine loving a male. He had so loved Sabine. He couldn't imagine what it would be like to go through life without that.

"Is there someone...?"

Sampson answers before Calvin has a chance to finish the question. "I have not found anyone in the pack who shares my ... tastes."

"How did I not notice this, my friend?"

Sampson gives a quick smile. Calvin seemed to be accepting of what he had revealed. "You were looking for something else."

[Alpha Ross?] Calvin's attention shifts and he holds up a hand to his Beta. [I hope I am not interrupting. She will not say it, but she misses you.]

Sampson looks at him. "Is there a problem?"

"Not here."

"Ah, at Wyeth?"

"Of a sort, Sampson. I have left her alone too long."

"I'll have a car readied." Sampson rises and heads to the door.

"Thank you. Oh, Sampson?" His Beta turns back. "We should probably discuss making Cecelia Beta."

Sampson nods once, sharply. "I think that would be appropriate, my Alpha."

Calvin stopped at a couple of florists, but could not find any flowers he considered appropriate. The dead of winter was not a good time. He settled for simplicity.

One yellow rose surrounded with baby's breath.

He drove to Wyeth and arrived mid-morning. [Stephanie?]

There was no answer to his call.

Cassie walks into the entry hall with her infant daughter. Calvin turns as Emmaline coos.

He approaches the new mother carefully, looking at the baby in open appreciation. "What a beautiful pup. What's her name?"

Cassie is a bit nervous. "Alpha Ross. Um, it's Emmaline."

Jamie is standing nearby, watching. Calvin gestures to him and hands over the flower.

Calvin stays a few steps back. "May I?" He gestures to the little one.

Cassie looks at the baby, looks at him. "Oh, OK." Calvin steps forward, slowly, and holds out his arms. Cassie transfers her daughter into his arms.

"How old is she? About a month?"

"Yes, um, Alpha. She was born the night before the gathering." Cal sniffs of her hair, strokes down her little arm. A tiny waving hand captures his finger and he smiles down into the face of the baby.

Stephanie walks in, stopping dead at the look of unbridled wonder on his face. She swallows, then turns to leave.

Samuel sees his daughter in the arms of someone other than his mate. Worse yet, this was a male from another pack. Samuel growls as he descends the stairs. Cal hands the baby back to her mother. "I did not mean to give offense. I simply wanted to enjoy the company of the infant for a minute or so. I congratulate you on your good fortune." He steps away as Samuel approaches, a low rumble continuing to emanate from his chest.

Samuel puts his arm protectively around his mate and their pup, looking Calvin in the eye the entire time.

Calvin turns back to Jamie while continuing to watch Samuel out of the corner of his eye.

As he reaches for the flower, he notices Stephanie walking away. "Stephanie?"

A soft female voice behind him says, "She threw out the flowers you sent."

Cal drops his eyes as he exhales. He thanks both Cassie and Jamie. [Stephanie, I'm sorry I couldn't come earlier.]

[I'm sorry, too, Alpha Ross. I can't give you what you want.]

[Where are you? Please come talk to me.]

Nothing. She does not respond to him. He follows her scent farther into the den, moving quickly. He weaves through a couple of rooms and around several of the Wyeth pack members. They move out of his way as he closes on the object of his visit. "Stephanie, wait."

She stops and turns, growling lightly. "Don't you have duties to attend to?"

Wyeth pack members watch the interaction with interest.

He approaches her, backing her into a corner. He puts a hand on her arm and leans in. As she turns her head away, he brushes his lips against her cheek. "I've missed you."

She turns her face back to him. She blinks up at him as he hands her the rose. "I couldn't get your favorite."

Stephanie holds the flower, looking at it, looking at him. She's unsure if she should stand, leave, or throw it in his face.

"Well? Are you glad that I'm here or mad that I've come?"

"I.. am.. pleased to see you, Alpha Ross."

"Stephanie," he whispers intimately to her, "my name is Calvin."

"Calvin. I don't understand why you are here."

"I've come to see you, of course."

Stephanie finally allows herself to be collected into a room with him, and away from prying eyes. It takes him time to reassure her that he wanted to continue his relationship with her.

Emmett and Lyssa heal from their injuries.

Joanna and Nathan's relationship deepens.

The packs continue on. Pups grow. Females go into heat. Adolescents are schooled. Males spar and carry out their duties.

*****

It was three months after the Beta pair had returned from their trip away that a howl of triumph was heard from Nathan's house.

Kendra is woken by her son, Lewis.

"Mama. Mama." A small hand touches her arm.

Kendra opens her eyes. "What is it, baby? Have a nightmare?"

"No, Mama. It's Uncle Nathan."

Her eyes go wide and she sits up. "What is it? Is he here?"

"No, Mama. I think he's at home. But I've never heard him howl in the middle of the night before."

"A long howl?"

The small earnest face nods.

Kendra snatches her little boy and hugs and kisses him. "It's OK, baby. It means you've got another Auntie. Your uncle Nathan's got a mate. You can go back to bed."

"Can I stay here with you and Daddy?"

"Alright, but just for tonight. You're too big to be sleeping in here with us."

Lewis crawls in between his parents and quickly falls asleep.

Nathan brings his new mate to his parents' house after breakfast, where Juliet and Jonathon welcome her into the family and the pack.

Joanna looks a little uncertain about it but she and Nathan had discussed it. She would move in here with him. Strange as it was to think, she was now Severn pack.

Before his brothers and their mates could descend on them, Nathan puts her on the bike and they go to Wyeth.

As they pull in Joanna sees a car waiting for Stephanie, to take her to the Ross den.

Nathan waits as she puts her hair up in a clip. [Mom? Can you come out front?]

[I'll be out in a minute, Jo.]

Joanna reaches out a hand to her new mate and turns to him. She looks up into his eyes and smiles as his arms go around her and hers slide up his shoulders and into his hair.

He looks down into blue eyes filled with love and happiness and leans down toward her gorgeous pink lips. She stretches up to meet him.

Bodies tightly entwined, scents intermingled, they kiss. The kiss is that of new, young love, two individuals who can't get enough of each other. They would be prototypical mates, virtually inseparable for their first few weeks.

Nathan hoped to take some vacation time.

Ariel steps out the front door to the two lovebirds groping each other in front of the den. [Ran. come out here.]

[What's going on? I'm in the middle of something.]

[Jo's mated.]

[What?!]

[Come out.]

[On my way.]

Ariel steps forward, toward the couple, toward her daughter and her daughter's new mate.

Nathan sees her coming and twists Joanna around to speak to her mother. He's leaning back against the bike, his arms low around her waist, as Ariel approaches, arms open.

Ariel takes her daughter's hands as Randall bursts from the house.

She sees a quick flash of fear in Nathan's eyes.

Ariel pulls Joanna close as Nathan releases her to Randall's command. "Severn! With me."

Nathan respectfully follows Randall back into the den. Joanna looks after him.

"Ah, sweetie, I'm happy for you. How do you feel?"

Joanna's hand goes to the pink, healing wound on her neck. "Kinda strange. It's like I can't quite believe it's happened."

"It'll seem like a dream for a while, Jo. As long as you're happy, it's good."

KemMyst
KemMyst
1,302 Followers