Fullness Of Life Ch. 03

Story Info
Cassidy and Jesse finally get together.
8.6k words
4.79
38.6k
4

Part 3 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/30/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers

The next morning, Cassidy got up early and got ready to go. Because Mick had told Cassidy the installers from his company would need to be in the house all day, Cassidy wanted to spend as much of the day as possible away from the house. Dressing in a bright yellow sundress, Cassidy pulled her long curls into a clip at the back of head and let them fall down her back. She added some flashy silver earrings and decided that she was ready to go.

Cassidy had almost made it to her car before she saw the security company's van pull into the driveway. Recognizing Mick in the passenger seat, Cassidy waved to him. Mick climbed out of the truck and called across the yard, "Good morning, Sunshine!"

Shaking her head in amusement, Cassidy called out her own hello, then climbed into her car. She had a lot to do today and no time to spend on small talk.

There were two items of business on Cassidy's agenda. She needed a place to live and a job. She had actually found several leads for both. She spent the morning looking at apartments, getting an idea of what she could afford. Then, after a quick lunch she began looking for a job.

The first office she visited reminded her of the lawyer's office in Sweetwater. The women who were working there all looked bored stiff. Although the receptionist was polite and the place was decent enough, Cassidy didn't want to go back into that kind of setting if she could help it. She thanked the receptionist for the application and took it with her as she left.

The second, third and fourth offices that were on Cassidy's list were remarkably similar to the first. Since Cassidy had never gotten her CPA license, none of the offices would talk to her about anything other than secretarial work. Shaking her head in amazement, Cassidy decided to take a break and grab a Coke.

Spotting a diner on the street she was driving down, Cassidy parked her car and went in. The moment that she walked through the door, she felt like she had stepped back in time. The antiques that decorated the place looked like the genuine thing rather than cheap reproductions. There were several tables dotting the floor, but the primary seating was at the counter up front.

Since the place was fairly deserted, Cassidy made her way up to the counter and sat down. The older gentleman who had been wiping down the counter, stepped up to Cassidy and asked her what she would like.

Before she had sat down, Cassidy had spied the assortment of ice cream that was partially hidden at the end of the counter. Smiling at the man she said, "I want a Coke and a big scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream."

The man's face broke into a huge grin. "A woman after my own heart," he said fondly. Then pointing to some pictures hanging on the wall, he continued, "That there is my wife. Prettiest woman I ever met. And a sweettooth that just won't quit! That woman loves her mint chocolate chip ice cream."

Cassidy looked at the first picture. It was an old black and white photo of a woman holding a baby. She was smiling into the camera and waving the baby's chubby little arm. Beside that photo was another of the same woman, much older, sitting surrounded by four handsome young men. The photo was far enough away to be hard to discern any particulars, but it was obvious that the woman in the middle of the group was the central force in the picture. Cassidy imagined that was because she was the central force in her family. She was a strong looking woman. In an unexpected flash of insight, Cassidy realized that she wanted to be like that some day. Strong and confident, and surrounded by a family of her own. And in her mind, the family around her strongly resembled one Jesse Turner!

The older man handed Cassidy her ice cream first, then went to get her Coke. While he had his back to Cassidy, the same woman from the photos burst through the back door. "Horace, I have had it with these books. I can't make hide or hare out of your notes. After 38 years, you would think that I could figure out what you meant, but honey, you are beyond me."

Although the woman's words were rough, there was no sting in them. As she talked, she walked up to her husband and hugged him from behind. Then she said, "We just have to get some help, darling. I don't want to spend my days deciphering your handwriting!"

Cassidy watched as the man turned around in his wife's arms and put his own arms around her. "I know sweetie, I just haven't found anyone I could trust. Just give me some time."

Quirking her eyebrow, Cassidy didn't take the time to think before she blurted out, "Are you talking about accounting books? Like payroll and expenses?"

Both the man and the woman turned to look at Cassidy. The woman nodded her head and said emphatically, "Yes, that would be the type! I can't stand them!"

Cassidy smiled warmly at the couple. "Well, maybe we can help each other out. I'm new here in town and I'm an accountant - not a CPA, but an accountant. I am looking to find a job, but what I really want to do is to find a couple of businesses who need help doing their books. Would you all be willing to let me have a look and see if I can help you?"

While Cassidy finished her ice cream, Horace Amos and his wife, whom he introduced as Eleanor, told Cassidy about their business. Afterwards, Eleanor took Cassidy into the back and showed her a few of their accounting methods. Cassidy was thrilled. It was perfect. For all of her complaining, Eleanor had done an excellent job keeping track of everything. All that Cassidy needed to do was take over from where Eleanor left off. The two women spent almost an hour reviewing what Cassidy could do for them.

When Eleanor and Cassidy returned from the back room, Eleanor announced to Horace that she had found the answer to their problems. Horace just nodded and smiled that same smile that Cassidy came to recognize as the one he reserved solely for Eleanor. Then he went back to watching the small tv that was sitting near the cash register.

Eleanor and Cassidy arranged for Cassidy to start the following Monday. Cassidy figured that it would take about a week to get a handle on everything for Horace and Eleanor. But after that, she would start looking for other businesses to work with. Fortunately, she had enough money to be able to survive until she could line up what she needed.

When Cassidy got home, Robin was already there. Cassidy was surprised to find Robin in the kitchen cutting up vegetables and boiling something on the stove. Deciding to tease Robin a little, Cassidy said, "I didn't know you could cook!"

Robin laughed and rolled her eyes. "Would you believe that I'm actually trying to cook to impress Van? I think I would have been better off ordering in and claiming that I was a gourmet chef who always produced perfect cordon blue!"

Laughing herself, Cassidy grabbed a handful of cherry tomatos and sat down on a stool near the island where Robin was working. Cassidy said, "It seems like things are going well for you and Van. Want to tell me anything?"

It was almost as though Cassidy had opened a floodgate. Words rushed out of Robin's mouth. Apparently things were going very well between Van and Robin. He had asked her to go with him to a few of his concerts. He called her everyday at work and even sent her notes and flowers. Robin finished up her story, saying, "I'm just so afraid that this is how he treats every woman that he decided that he wants. And to tell you the truth, I don't think I can hold out against his charm. If he wants me, I'm already his. Pathetic, huh?"

From the doorway behind the two women, Van's voice boomed, "I don't think it is pathetic at all. I'm really glad that you feel that way. Because I don't want to ever be away from you again, Robin Jordan."

Robin and Cassidy had both been surprised by Van's sudden appearance. They hadn't heard him come in and they hadn't realized that he was listening to their conversation. Cassidy knew that it wasn't her place though, to decide how to deal with Van at that moment. What really mattered was how Robin felt about him and his actions.

Cassidy looked at Robin and realized that she was staring helplessly at Van. Van walked across the room, ignoring Cassidy's presence completely. He only had eyes for Robin. In a deep and caring voice, he said, "Robin, I know that we have only known each other for a few days, but I feel like I've known you all my life. I will understand if you want to wait, but Robin, I want to marry you."

Pulling a box out of his jacket pocket, Van popped it open. Inside was a beautiful, simple diamond solitaire. "My grandfather gave this to my grandmother. When she died, he gave it to me and told me that I would know when the right woman should have it. I've met thousands of women out on the road, and I kept thinking that Granddaddy was wrong. But when I walked into that restaurant the other night and saw you, I would swear that there was a neon sign pointing at you, saying that you were the one. I went home that night and got this ring out of my safe. I wanted to have it with me when the time was right. Robin, if this isn't the right time, then just tell me and I will wait. I only want you to know that my intentions are honorable. I want you to be my wife, not my mistress."

Cassidy looked up to see tears pouring down Robin's face. She heard Robin whisper, "Oh, Van! The time is perfect!" And with that, Robin threw her arms around Van's neck and gave him what looked to be the start of a serious kiss. Cassidy decided that she had overstayed her welcome, so she slipped quietly from the kitchen. Grabbing her keys, she exited the house as unobtrusively as possible.

With this new development in Robin's life, it was more important than ever that Cassidy quickly find a new place to live. Thinking back over a few of the apartments she had seen, Cassidy couldn't really pick any of them as the one she wanted to live in. As she drove around the city, she pondered what to do. Deciding that she hadn't seen anywhere else that she would rather eat, she pointed her car back in the direction of Horace and Eleanor's diner.

When Cassidy walked through the door this time, she was surprised to see the place almost full. Horace was still behind the counter, but there were also three young waitresses and at least one busboy. Cassidy figured that there must be adequate kitchen help as well. She was pleased to see that the diner was doing so well.

Finding a seat at the counter, Cassidy smiled as Horace handed her a Coke before she even had the chance to order it. He nodded at her and said, "Couldn't stay away, huh?"

Cassidy laughed as she took the menu that he was holding out to her. "I just needed a quick get away. My roommate just got proposed to, and I think that was one of those 'three's a crowd' kind of moments. So, I decided to come check out your dinner offerings."

Horace suggested the fried chicken and Cassidy agreed. He went off to give her order to the cook as Cassidy took the time to look around the place. She noticed that there were lots of families as well as a few couples frequenting the diner. But, as far as she could tell, she was the only person there alone. That sounded far too much like the story of her life and Cassidy made a decision to change that part of her life in the near future. She just needed to meet a few people first.

While Cassidy was lost in thought, Eleanor came over and sat on the empty stool beside her. Startled, Cassidy quickly gathered her wits and said hello.

Looking thoughtful, Eleanor said, "I wanted to talk to you some more. I've thought about what all you said earlier about needing to work. Horace and I have a proposition for you. What if you worked here in the diner a few days a week? And, if you want, there's an apartment upstairs where you could live. What do you think?"

Cassidy was dumbfounded. As she processed the unexpected offer in her head, she couldn't think of a single reason to say no. It would solve her immediate problem of needing a place to stay, as well as help her meet a few personal goals. Not only would she have a little income outside of her accounting, she would be in a position to meet more people.

Looking back around the diner at all of the people she could get to know, Cassidy felt excitement coursing through her body. Turning back to Eleanor, she said, "Are you sure? I mean, what if it doesn't work out? I've never worked as a waitress before."

Eleanor laughed out loud and said, "Then I fire your little tushie and throw you out! But I don't think we have to worry about that, sweetheart! You're not the first greenhorn I've taken on - and trust me, if I can train my boys to be good waiters, I can turn a rock into a good waitress! You'll be a piece of cake."

When Horace delivered Cassidy's supper, Eleanor told him that Cassidy had accepted their offer. He just nodded and smiled before walking off. Eleanor excused herself, explaining that she was off to see her grandkids. That left Cassidy alone with her thoughts. And her main thought was how excited she was that everything was really going to work out, after all!

Robin was sad the next morning when Cassidy told her that she had found another place to live. But when Cassidy pointed out that Van might be wanting to spend a little extra time with his fiancee, Robin's face lit up. Cassidy knew she was doing the right thing. Although she was scared that she would never see Jesse again since she wouldn't be hanging out with Robin, she knew she had to move on. She just hoped that she and Robin would be able to remain friends after the excitement of meeting, dating and marrying Van Henderson wore off. And maybe Jesse would still be around then.

Since it was Saturday, Cassidy called Eleanor and asked if it would be alright if she moved in immediately. Eleanor agreed to leave the key downstairs at the diner so Cassidy could come by anytime and start moving in. Cassidy thanked her and packed up her stuff.

Robin was planning to go to Van's house for the day, so she asked Cassidy if she could go with her to see the apartment first. After Cassidy got the key from Horace, the two women climbed the outside staircase. There was only one door at the top. When Cassidy opened it, she was shocked. The apartment was huge! It was a finished out attic, with tons of space.

Cassidy walked slowly through the rooms, taking it all in. There were three bedrooms, each with its own bathroom. There was a laundry room and a large sitting room. The last room was the combination kitchen/dining room. Like the rest of the apartment, the kitchen was fully furnished, complete with plates and silverware, pots and pans.

But, perhaps most importantly to Cassidy, the entire apartment was flooded with light. Huge windows, skylights and well placed fixtures made Cassidy feel like she was being soaked in sunshine. Just standing in the apartment made her feel good.

A loud cough at the door caused Cassidy and Robin to look toward the opening. Eleanor was standing in the doorframe. Cassidy said, "Please come in - I love this! Are you sure you don't mind me living here?"

Eleanor smiled warmly. "My Horace fixed this place up for me when we were first married. This is where we raised our children. When they grew up and moved out, we moved down the street to the home that I grew up in. Funny, we just seem to gravitate to family homes." Then, giving Cassidy a meaningful glance, she added, "Maybe one day your family can grow here."

Cassidy's eyes flew open wide. "Eleanor! I don't have any family - it's just me," Cassidy said in a anxious voice.

Eleanor's eyes seemed to twinkle and she said, "I know that dear, but you never know!" Then turning to face Robin, she said, "Don't I know you?"

Cocking her head to one side, Robin said, "I'm not sure, ma'am. I'm Robin Jordan. I work in the school system with hearing impaired children. Have we met?"

A chuckle escaped Eleanor, "No, my dear. But we have now. If I'm not mistaken, you would be newly engaged, wouldn't you?"

Obviously confused, Robin stared back at Eleanor. Finally, she said, "Yes, as of last night."

Nodding her head, Eleanor said, "My dear, his name wasn't always Henderson. He used to be Vance Amos. But his manager said that was too common. So they turned him into Van Henderson. Sounds good, but I always liked Vance Amos."

Cassidy looked back and forth between Eleanor and Robin. "Eleanor, your last name is Amos. Is Van your son?" Cassidy asked, incredulously.

The smile that broke forth from Eleanor's face threatened to outglow even the sunshine saturating the room. "He's my baby! He told me all about you, Robin. I didn't know that he was going to propose so quickly, but my mother's ring on your finger makes me think that he has already made up his mind. He was always a quick one!"

With a squeal of delight, Robin flew across the room and grabbed Eleanor in a close hug. Although Cassidy hadn't known either one of them very long, she had a feeling that these two were going to be very good friends.

The three women ended up sitting on the couch and talking for almost an hour. Finally, Robin glanced at her watch and said, "Oh, no! Van was expecting me 10 minutes ago! I better run!"

Eleanor placed a calming hand on Robin's arm. "Honey, it's best to let him know up front that you are worth waiting for!" Eleanor said with a wink.

That caused Robin and Cassidy to burst out laughing and Eleanor joined in. After a few more hugs and laughs, Robin left to go to Van's house, promising to bring him by to see his mother as soon as possible.

Cassidy stood shaking her head, watching Robin leave. "So, my old landlord is getting married to my new landlord's son. That seems somehow immoral!"

Eleanor chuckled then gave Cassidy a quick hug. "I better get downstairs and make sure Horace hasn't given up on me. Do you need anything?"

Casting a quick glance around the spotless, comfortable apartment, Cassidy shook her head. "Eleanor, this place is just perfect. I can't thank you enough."

When Cassidy was finally alone, she unpacked her suitcases. Although her thoughts kept skipping off on a fantasy of showing her new place to Jesse, she managed to get settled in fairly quickly. She did an inventory of what she wanted to go buy, including some sheets to fit the queen sized bed and some towels to match the mint green bathroom. A bathmat and a few kitchen towels and her list was complete.

After a leisurely shopping trip to the nearby Wal-Mart, Cassidy spent the rest of the day setting up her new home. Since the electricity and water were billed in combination with the diner, Cassidy had agreed to pay a flat fee to Eleanor each month. That only left the phone to get connected. Cassidy made a note and stuck it to the fridge to remind herself to take care of that first thing Monday morning.

Cassidy then decided to make one of the bedrooms into an office. It wasn't like she would ever even need one guest bedroom, let alone two. Since all of Horace and Eleanor's unneeded furniture was stored in various parts of the apartment, it only took Cassidy about an hour to find everything she needed to put her entire office together. Now she just needed a computer.

The laptop that Cassidy had for her own personal use was all that she had brought with her. She had left her entire system in her office when she had turned it over to her successor. If she was going to get back on her feet and do serious bookkeeping, she would need to purchase a new computer and all the programs she had used before.

Since it was getting late, Cassidy decided to put off going shopping for her computer until another day. It was almost eight o'clock and she still hadn't had supper. Deciding to go grab a sandwich at some drive through, Cassidy got her purse and keys. After a satisfied look around her new home, Cassidy headed for the door.

JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers