Fullness Of Life Ch. 04

Story Info
Cassidy finds herself and wins her Jesse.
8.2k words
4.83
47.2k
11

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 08/30/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers

When Cassidy entered the kitchen, the first thing she noticed was the silence of the room. Calling out to Eleanor and Horace, Cassidy was surprised when they didn't answer. She walked through the kitchen and pushed open the side door into the office. She froze in place at the sight that met her eyes.

Tied to chairs, Eleanor and Horace were both gagged and bound hand and foot. In front of them stood a rather agitated man, carrying a gun and wearing a stocking mask over his face. Pointing the gun at Cassidy, he turned back to Eleanor and Horace and said, "What the hell are you two running here - a three ring circus? I come in to rip the place off and I stumble across the damn clown car! Are there any more of you idiots about to walk in on me? Or is she the last?"

Cassidy thought it was rather strange that he was asking Eleanor and Horace questions since he had them both gagged and they couldn't answer. But since he did have the gun and she was on the receiving end of it, she decided not to push her luck by questioning his sanity.

Looking back at Cassidy, the man waved the gun at her. "Ok bitch, open the safe and show me the money, or these two get it."

Cassidy was fairly quick at thinking on her feet. She knew that the safe was fairly well hidden and that the chances were good that the man didn't know that there really was a safe. Cassidy also knew that there was precious little in the safe to satisfy the man, even if she did open it. Knowing that he was looking for ready cash, Cassidy decided to lure him out of the office. Hoping to convey an "I don't care" attitude, Cassidy said gruffly, "There is no safe. I am their accountant. I would know if they had a safe. The only money these two old codgers have is out in their cash register."

Pushing her with his other hand, the man forced Cassidy out of the office, back into the restaurant. Cassidy breathed a sigh of relief at having gotten him away from Horace and Eleanor, but she wasn't sure what to do now. How was she supposed to keep him from killing her and then going back to finish them off as well? Cassidy's mind was racing as she crossed the room as slowly as humanly possible when one is being pushed by a gun toting madman.

When she neared the cash register, Cassidy realized that there was a chance that she could lure the man out of the restaurant with the promise of taking him to a bank machine or some other place to get cash. Still fleshing out the plan in her mind, she worked with painstaking precision opening the cash drawer.

When the drawer flew open, the man reached around Cassidy and pushed her to the floor. He jerked the bills out of the register and stuffed them into the pockets on his jacket. Cassidy realized that he hadn't come prepared to stash the cash which caused her to worry. Surely a sane person would have come to commit a robbery prepared to put the loot somewhere logical. Cassidy knew that she had to work fast.

"Look," Cassidy said, "I know there's not a lot there. You look like a smart guy, pulling off this kind of robbery in the broad daylight. Let me take you down the street. I can easily add $500 to your take by going to one bank machine. I'll even shield you from the security camera. I know that a smart man like you knows that you can use all the money you can get. And I know you are smart enough to not pass up a chance to add a little extra to your take."

The man seemed to be weighing Cassidy's offer. She held her breath, waiting for his response.

Jesse Turner had finished his phone call with Van as quickly as possible. Van had known for several weeks that Cassidy was special to Jesse. When Jesse had finally broke down and told him how much he liked her, Van had laughed in the big man's face. Van had said, "I never took Jesse Turner to be a coward. If you want her, go get her!"

That had been all it had taken to convince Jesse that he had a chance with Cassidy. He had never met a woman like her before. All full of passion one moment and spitfire integrity the next. She kept him on his toes and made him want more. Each night, he left her at her door, wishing that just once, she would forget what he had said about not trying to distract him. He wanted her to pull him into her apartment and make wild passionate love to him.

But each night passed, and Cassidy didn't cross the line in the sand that he had drawn. Instead, she was a perfect lady, always shaking his hand and thanking him for an interesting evening.

Finally, Jesse hadn't been able to take it any more. With a flash of insight, he had realized that Cassidy needed to know that he wanted her. He had learned that she wasn't very experienced where men were concerned and that no man had ever told her that she was special. Jesse knew Cassidy was special. Now he just needed to tell her.

Flipping his cell phone closed, Jesse resolved to go tell Cassidy immediately how he felt. He didn't care if Eleanor and Horace were there to witness his declaration. Some things were worth the risk. And Cassidy Meadows was one of those things.

Jesse had spent the majority of his adult life honing his instincts to always detect the unusual. When he stepped around the corner of the building and started for the front door of the diner, he felt the hair on his neck stand up. Knowing better than to ignore his body's hunch, he quickly scanned the area around him.

Glancing into the window of the diner, Jesse saw the reason for his sense of unease. Although the man had his back toward the window, Jesse could tell from the look on Cassidy's face what was happening. Dropping into a crouch, Jesse shuffled to the other side of the plate glass windows that lined the front wall of the diner.

Squatting beside the building, Jesse reviewed his options. For whatever reason, an unknown man was holding Cassidy in fear. Since he wasn't holding another person to his body, nor was he grasping Cassidy close, the man must have a gun. A knife would have required a different stance.

Shaking his head to clear it, Jesse flipped open his cell phone and called 911. After identifying himself and explaining the situation and location, he disconnected the call. Peering through the nearby glass, he could see the man now had Cassidy by the arm and was dragging her toward the exit. Another 20 feet and they would be walking out the door of the diner. Jesse had to make a decision fast.

Never before had Jesse been so torn. In all of his life, he had never wanted to protect another human being with the intensity of his desire to protect Cassidy at that moment. He had done enough work in his field to know that such an intimate connection with a hostage would cloud his perception of the situation. But he had no choice. Cassidy was his life now and if this man hurt her, he would never forgive himself.

As the man paused inside the door of the diner, Cassidy noticed that he seemed to be thinking. She realized that he must have figured out that walking out with a stocking mask over his head was a dead give away. Not knowing what to say, Cassidy simply stood quietly beside him as he anxiously shifted from foot to foot. Finally, he ripped the stocking off of his face and pushed her out the door, saying, "Not one word or I'll make you regret it."

Cassidy saw the flash of movement on her right seconds before she felt the impact of the flying tackle. The gunman and Cassidy fell to the concrete. The force had been enough to down them both, causing the gun to go clattering across the sidewalk. Cassidy saw it land at the edge of a newspaper bin.

With more intuition than vision, Cassidy recognized Jesse as the one who had knocked her and her assailant down. She also realized that Jesse was big enough to keep the man detained while she got the gun. Cassidy scurried across the short distance that separated her from the weapon. Bracing herself, Cassidy grabbed the gun and swung around to face the two men.

Both Jesse and the gunman were looking pretty rough by this point. The combined impact of falling forcefully onto the concrete, and the ensuing blows that the two men were exchanging made them both look rather beat up. Right as Jesse landed a sledgehammer blow to the man's face, Cassidy braced herself against the wall of the diner.

Bellowing to make herself heard, Cassidy said, "Enough! If you don't want me to blow your head away, back off!!!"

Obviously startled, both men stopped to stare, open mouthed, at Cassidy. Motioning with the gun, Cassidy pointed them toward the wall.

Cassidy could see the gunman weighing his options as he slowly stood up. Deciding not to wait until he made up his mind to run, Cassidy said, "Go ahead, make my day. I was the state champion for target shooting three years in a row. I haven't had a chance to shoot in a few months, but I wouldn't mind the practice. Make a run for it - I'll use your back as my moving target!"

The men exchanged glances then the gunman moved toward the wall. Tentatively, Jesse stepped toward Cassidy just as the first police car came to a screeching halt in front of the diner. Before the officer even got out of his car, a news crew pulled up to the side. By the time that the officer was handcuffing the gunman, Cassidy and Jesse's picture was being broadcast over the airwaves, being hailed as local heroes.

Eleanor and Horace were both freed from their bonds and checked out by the ambulance crew who declared them to be shaken, but otherwise in good shape. Cassidy noticed that the driver failed to add that Eleanor was also "mad as a wet hen" into her report!

When the action finally died down, the gunman was taken to jail, the film crew left and Van and Robin came by to take Horace and Eleanor home. After everyone was gone, the reality of what had happened was setting in on Cassidy. She and Jesse made it to her apartment, but only moments after entering it, Cassidy's legs gave out. If Jesse hadn't been there to catch her, she would have fallen face first onto the floor.

But Jesse was there. Just as he had been there when the gunman had tried to drag her out of the diner. Just as he had been there the night before to make her feel special and wanted. Just as he had been in her thoughts from the first moment she had laid eyes on him. Yes, Jesse was there. But would he stay there?

Looking up into Jesse's face, Cassidy said, "Jesse? I was so scared!"

Holding her close, Jesse stroked Cassidy's hair. He moved them over to the couch and pulled her onto his lap, laying her head on his shoulder. "Honey, I never have been so scared as when I saw him holding that gun on you! It's ok to have been scared. What matters is what you did and you went way beyond doing the right thing! You scared the shit out of the poor man! State target shooting champion? Where did that come from?"

The laughter bubbled up inside Cassidy, replacing the shock. For several minutes she laughed uncontrollably. "I said the first thing that popped into my head! I have no idea what made me think of that. I've never touched a gun in my life!"

Jesse laughed with her. It didn't take too long until their laughter turned to kisses and their kisses turned to passion. In the face of near death, the two of them came to each other claiming their life - their life together.

Afterward, they both fell asleep on Cassidy's bed. When they woke up, it was already dark, but they were both hungry. Deciding that they weren't up to cooking, they opted to go out for supper. Since neither of them were up to anything fancy, they dressed in jeans and tee shirts and headed out to find some dinner.

Jesse and Cassidy settled on Fuddrucker's for a burger and shake. After placing their order, they went and sat down. Cassidy noticed that several people were staring at them. Although she was trying to keep up a conversation with Jesse, she kept getting distracted by the whispers directed their way.

"Jesse, am I just paranoid, or is everyone talking about us?" Cassidy whispered.

Glancing around, Jesse frowned. "Normally, I would say that you were making it up, but I think you are right. What's going on?"

Right then, a little girl passed their table with her mother. Looking up at them with her big blue eyes wide, the little girl said, "You are the woman and man who stopped the bad guy, aren't you? You are the girl with the gun?"

Cassidy looked over at Jesse in surprise. "What do you mean? How did she know that?" Cassidy asked, looking up to the child's mother.

The woman practically beamed. "We saw you both on the news tonight. You are local heroes! That man was a menace to society and we are just thankful you two took him down!"

Jesse interrupted her, saying, "A menace to society? Do the police know who he is now?"

Shaking her head, the woman said, "Why don't you know? That was the 'Sunday Thief' you two captured. He's robbed more than a dozen family owned businesses. He's even wanted for assault in North Carolina. It's all over the news. Haven't you two seen it yet?"

Looking at each other in surprise, Cassidy and Jesse burst into laughter. Cassidy was the first to recover, "No. We haven't seen it yet. But thank you for letting us know."

The lady and little girl waved good bye to them both and sauntered off toward their own table. Cassidy leaned across the table, still grinning, "Do you think we could get our supper to go? I'm not sure I can handle being a local celebrity tonight!"

Jesse nodded and stepped to the counter to get their order packaged. Once back in the car, they both burst into laughter again. When they got home, they flipped on the TV and, sure enough, there was the film of their early afternoon escapades. Watching in wonder, they saw themselves in living color as the broadcaster hailed them as the heroes of Nashville.

After finishing their supper, Jesse and Cassidy decided to call it an early night. Once in bed, thoughts of sleep flew, though. As soon as Jesse touched Cassidy, they both ignited. This time, their union was fast and wild, much like the day they lived through. When it was over, they both fell into a deep sleep.

When the alarm clock went off at 5:30 the next morning, Jesse knocked it off of the dresser before Cassidy had a chance to turn it off. Laughing at his scrunched up face, Cassidy said, "Do I take it that you aren't a morning person? Well, sweetheart, I have to go to work. In all of the commotion yesterday, you forgot to tell Eleanor that I wanted to take a vacation! You just stay in bed as long as you want. Come downstairs when you wake up and I'll get you a coffee."

Jesse's moan of approval made Cassidy laugh even harder, but she was careful to be as quiet as possible as she showered and dressed for work. She didn't want to bother him more than necessary.

When Cassidy walked into the diner, she was stunned. Instead of the usual morning crowd, there were reporters and camera crews everywhere. Frowning as she scanned the room for Eleanor and Horace, Cassidy had a microphones shoved into her face.

"Ms. Meadows, can you give us a statement about your relationship to Jesse Turner, the man who helped you capture the Sunday Thief?" asked a female reporter.

"What?" Cassidy asked. "What does my relationship to Jesse have to do with anything?"

"Well, Ms. Meadows, rumor has it that you and Mr. Turner are a couple and the viewing audience would like any details that you might care to share."

Cassidy's mind was racing. She didn't dare tell this woman anything about Jesse. But she was a lousy liar. Finally, with a resigned sigh, she turned to face the reporter. "Jesse Turner is very special to me. I love him. But, please don't lose sight of what really happened here yesterday. A real man threatened real people with a real, deadly gun. He could have ended four lives. The most important thing about yesterday is that everyone walked away unharmed."

The reporter looked momentarily taken aback, then she smiled a brilliantly white smile and said, "Thank you for your time, Ms. Meadows. You are truly a real life hero!"

Before Cassidy could respond, both the reporter and the camera man disappeared. Finally seeing Eleanor and Horace, Cassidy made her way over to them. Eleanor shrugged her shoulders and motioned for Cassidy to step into the back office.

Shutting the door in the face of the reporters, Eleanor turned to Cassidy and said, "This place is a madhouse! If they find out that you live upstairs, you'll never get any peace. Why don't you take a few days off? Do you have anywhere you could go?"

Cassidy chuckled then said, "I was actually on my way down here to ask if I could take a few days off. Van has given Jesse a few days off and I wanted to be able to go with him, where ever it is that he wants to go."

Eleanor narrowed her eyes. "I wanted to ask you yesterday what was going on. Have the two of you worked things out?"

Cocking her head to one side, Cassidy said, "Worked things out?"

Shaking her head, Eleanor said, "Don't try to play dumb with me, missy! I know you have had the hots for the boy ever since you met him! I just wondered how long it was going to take for the two of you to realize you belonged together!'

A blush stole up Cassidy's cheeks as she smiled. "He's perfect, Eleanor. I'm so glad to be a part of his life. I just don't know where he is planning on taking the relationship, but, right now, I'm willing to go with the flow."

A frown creased Eleanor's brow. "Go on, honey. Take a few days off. Have some fun." After she hugged Cassidy, Eleanor opened the door to the diner and said, over her shoulder, "Use the door through the kitchen. I'll try to keep them away from you!"

Cassidy did manage to sneak out the side door and up the stairs without being noticed. She laughed at the thought of her short, curvy body, clad in classic waitress pink, skipping up the steps, trying to keep from being seen. She was still smiling at the image when she opened the door and stepped into her apartment.

Cassidy was surprised to see Jesse sitting at the table, awake. "I thought you would still be asleep," Cassidy said.

Jesse turned to face her. Cassidy could tell that he was angry. "Couldn't you have waited to tell me how you felt before you broadcast it to the world?"

Frowning, Cassidy said, "What are you talking about?" Then she noticed that the tv was on in the background.

Pointing over his shoulder with his thumb, Jesse said, "National tv just televised your declaration of love. I really don't think that was fair, Cassidy. I feel like you are pressuring me to tell you that I love you."

Putting her hands on her hips, Cassidy stared at him, with her mouth hanging open. "I cannot believe you! I didn't go downstairs to tell the world how I felt. I went to work. I'm sorry if I was honest with the reporter. It wasn't a backhanded attempt to force you into anything. I just answered the woman's question. And if it bothers you so much, why don't you just leave? I really don't need this kind of friction in my life. I'm sorry that you feel like I would try to manipulate you into something like this. Feel free to show yourself out!" And with that, Cassidy walked into her office and slammed the door shut.

A few minutes later, Cassidy heard the door to her apartment open and close. Cassidy burst into tears and ran into her bedroom. She felt the pain welling up inside of her. She thought she had come so far in her quest to experience 'fullness of life', but at that very moment, she was questioning every action she had taken. Had she done the wrong thing? Was all of her progress built on Jesse Turner? How about Cassidy Meadows?

Knowing that she couldn't stay in her apartment, Cassidy grabbed her jeans and quickly changed clothes. She took her keys and her pocketbook and headed out. She wasn't sure where she was going, but she needed a place to think.

Cassidy drove around the city pondering her options. Thanks to the evening and morning news, she was now a local celebrity, so she couldn't just go anywhere. She needed to go someplace secluded, with little or no people. Just when she thought she would never find such a place, Cassidy spotted a small church, sitting on the corner of two fairly busy streets. For all of the activity around it, the building gave off a sense of peace. It was a feeling Cassidy's soul responded to.

JewelTran
JewelTran
335 Followers