Gathering Fallen Rocks Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Howard looked at his brother and growled, "Frank, give it a rest. It wasn't rape and that's all you're entitled to know. So, shut--up about it."

Frank seemed unable to let it go, however, "Look Howard, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to say all of that, but Marie gave me a hard time every time I said anything about a Mexican. She and I didn't agree on very much and Mexicans was at the top of the list."

Howard nodded, "I know. Maybe that's why she didn't tell you. Now, give it a rest. She made a choice and she regretted it. Then she didn't want to live with the consequences. She's gone and nothing is going to change that. So, keep your mouth shut and I'll handle Santos, alright?"

Resignedly, Frank agreed, "Alright Howard, alright. Say you two, you wanna go to Scooters after pizza and do a little dancing? He's supposed to have a pretty good band tonight."

"I don't think so, I think we'll just go to bed early. We didn't get much sleep last night with all the Border Patrol going up and down the road."

In the restaurant, Gail and Howard sat on one side of a booth, across from Frank and Melanie. Gail recognized a few things these two brothers had in common and some very glaring differences. Frank was a talker, occupying most conversations, often talking over someone else, and he usually addressed his remarks to his brother, as if trying to impress him.

Throughout the meal, Melanie was rather quiet. When she did want to say something, it was usually to Gail and she leaned across the table so she can say it quietly, as Frank continued to tell Howard about Santos's wild talk when he was in the small store earlier in the day. By the time the pizza was gone and they were finishing their beer, Gail was so tired she felt her eyes drooping.

Howard reached down under the tabletop to pick up one of Gail's hands where it rested on her lap and squeezed it. Gail looked up at Howard and wished they were alone so she could kiss him. The look on his face told her he was thinking the same thing.

As Frank finally drained his mug and started to ask for another pitcher, Howard was standing. "Let's get out of here. You two can go to Scooters if you want any more beer. I'm going to bed." He gave the keys to Gail, "Here, Sweetheart, unlock the truck. Frank and I'll be right there."

Gail unlocked the doors, then opened the driver's door, pushed the key into the ignition and turned the motor on. At least she and Melanie wouldn't have to sit in the hot truck, waiting for the men. Even with the sun down for over an hour, the truck wouldn't cool off for hours. Just as Howard and Frank walked out of the restaurant, three Border Patrol vehicles pulled up, parking at the front of the building.

Howard, Frank, and the agents stood in front of the building and talked, Frank waving his hands as one of the agents tried to calm him down. Howard turned to Frank and the women could hear him say, "And keep your mouth shut about that too. Not a word, not even to Melanie. Do you understand me?"

Melanie leaned over to tell Gail, "Howard is certainly upset about something. Does he do that to you, too? I mean yell like that?"

Gail chuckled, "Only if I start it first. No, he doesn't raise his voice like that. Does he yell at you?"

"Oh never," Melanie shook her head. "Frank is the only one he yells at like that. But most of the time Frank deserves it." She turned back to look at the men, going silent after saying, "Oops, here they come."

Although it was a short drive, to Gail it seemed like they would never get back to Frank and Melanie's house. Gail's head was nodding when Howard drove into the driveway. As she took the first few steps up the stairs on the side of the garage, she stopped, "I forgot to tell Melanie that FedEx is going to deliver my telephone here on Monday or Tuesday."

"Tell her tomorrow, I'm dead on my feet and you're half asleep."

"Howard, I didn't bring anything to sleep in."

"Good, I'll have you naked in my bed and I can have my way with you." Gail stopped before taking the next step up, but before she could turn to respond to his remark, he said, "No, I'm just kidding, I'll give you a t--shirt or something. Go woman." He slapped her on the butt and pushed her up the stairs, laughing at her indignation, but she was laughing too as they reached to top of the stairs.

"Good grief, Howard. Don't you ever lock your doors?"

"Nope," he answered as he walked across the room to turn on a window air conditioner. "All I have up here is clean clothes and a bed. It's the same at the ranch. Anything that's important is in Aunt Jean's garage. Bathroom's in the corner."

When she returned, he said, "Here," and handed her a shirt, unashamedly watching as she took off her short sleeved shirt and bra then pulled his shirt over her head, stepped on the heels of her shoes to remove them before wiggling out of her jeans. When she looked up and saw him watching, she got very still and took a step backward.

"Howard ..."

Not saying a word, he walked to one side of the bed and threw back the covers. "You get in bed, I'll get the light." Before her eyes had fully adjusted to the dark, he was sitting on the other side of the bed pulling his boots off and standing to unbuckle his belt. He went toward the corner bathroom and returned, lifting the covers on his side and getting in the bed. As he turned over, Gail was moving to the middle of the bed, putting her head on his shoulder and settling next to him.

Speaking softly, he asked, "Do you like being right there as much as I like having you there?"

"Yes, I think so. You're comfortable or maybe I just feel safe, protected, or whatever it is that makes weak women seek out strong men."

"That's probably why men want women to think they're strong, even when they aren't. Kiss me good--night, Baby, and go to sleep."

She gave him a quick peck on the lips, but he held her to keep her from moving away from him. "No, I don't think that was good enough. I'd like one of those good kisses, one that makes my blood boil and my toes curl." When she raised herself up on her elbow, and did as he asked, he let out a deep breath, "Oh yeah, one like that. Maybe, I should have a few of those every night, for the next ten or twenty thousand nights. I'd finally know I'm not going to fall off my wall of rocks. Good night, sweetheart."

********

"Howard. Howard. Are you'll in there?" The words were accompanied by pounding on the door.

"Yes, damnit. Frank, go away."

"Hey, Pete's downstairs, says he needs to talk to Gail."

Gail sat up in bed and turned to Howard, as if to say something. He put his finger across her lips to keep her speaking. Then he asked his brother, "What does he want?"

"Hell, man, I don't know. He just wants to talk to Gail."

"Okay, tell him I'm just waking up. It's not even eight o'clock yet. We'll be down in a few minutes."

While Frank's footsteps pounded down the stairs, Howard pulled Gail back down to the bed, leaned over her, and started covering her face with kisses, stopping at her mouth for a long deep kiss, and then pulling her over on top of his body, holding her hips as he ground his erection into her.

Gail was shaking, breathing fast, and holding Howard's head for another kiss as he rolled her over. As suddenly as he started, he stopped, rested his head for a moment on the pillow beside her then raised his head, "Remember that, it's a promise. Now get up and put your clothes on. Let's go see what my favorite Border Patrol agent wants."

Gail pulled him down for another few kisses and said, "I'd rather stay here."

"Me too, but I don't think he's going away. Come on, come on, out of bed."

********

"Are you Gail E. Fisher? And is this your cellular phone number?" Pete held out a report showing her cell phone number printed beside her name. Pete Curran was stiff, acting so official that Howard was surprised by his attitude. He appeared formal and in asking questions, had Gail standing stiffly.

They were outside Frank and Melanie's front door. Although invited to come inside, Pete declined and politely asked Frank and Melanie to go inside the house so he could interview Gail alone. When Pete looked at Howard, expecting him to leave, too, Gail grabbed Howard by the hand and held on, saying she wanted him to stay. Pete nodded once at Howard then turned to Gail, asking her a few questions before asking about her cell phone number.

"Yes, that's my number."

"Ma'am, this number was used to report an incident on Friday involving the deaths of seven individuals. Your cell phone provider said you reported this telephone was stolen before this report was called in. Is that correct?"

12