Getting There Ch. 03

Story Info
The tension continues.
3k words
4.63
19.7k
9

Part 3 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/23/2022
Created 05/29/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Gemma sat in the bathtub, her hands idly caressing her nipples underwater as she was deep in thought. She closed her eyes and tried to empty her mind. The water had turned tepid and she decided it was time to let the water drain. Then she thought about Ryan. In the privacy of her own home, she remembered that long, lingering look they had shared. The feeling of his hand stroking hers. She turned the water back on as she placed her feet either side of the stream of warm water. She let the water cascade over her clitoris, as her fingertips deftly pinched and pulled at her nipples. She could feel the pleasure build up within her, and didn't want it to end so soon. She reluctantly got out of the bath and onto her knees searching one of her bathroom cabinets for the glass dildo she'd hidden away when things had become more serious with James. Not that Gemma was short of men who were willing to give her the real thing during her intermittent bouts of singledom. But sometimes it was just easier to get straightforward, uncomplicated satisfaction whenever she wanted it. She felt the cool glass and smiled instinctively. She resumed her position in the bath, this time slowly sliding the dildo in and out of herself. Then, when she felt she was on the brink of an orgasm, she moved it faster and faster, harder and deeper, until her legs grew weak and her body thrashed around in the water as she rode the wave of pleasure that washed over her. Slipping in between her sheets a short while later, Gemma had a moment of realisation. There was nothing straightforward or uncomplicated about what she'd just done. When she drifted off to sleep that night, all she could think about was Ryan.

Morning came, and Ryan was lacing his trainers before going for a run. The sun was shining and he wanted to take advantage of it. He turned the volume up on his iPod and left his phone on the kitchen counter. After stretching outside his front door, he headed towards Regent's Park. Gemma, on the other hand was just waking up. She reached for her phone and, after a brief internal debate, texted Ryan. "What's cooking, good looking?" She cringed. "Really?" She thought to herself. Sitting up in bed she tried to comprehend what had happened last night. She reasoned that it was, in essence, the equivalent of having a sex dream about someone inappropriate. Except, she had been awake. And she had wanted it. She just hadn't expected it.

"You have to be joking." Rachel laughed, as she stubbed out her cigarette. The two friends were sitting out on Gemma's balcony, enjoying the sun.

"I'm not! I really did THAT thinking about HIM!" Gemma insisted incredulously.

"Well, yeah. I believe 'THAT.' What I don't believe is that you weren't expecting it! Come on, Gemma."

Gemma reflected over a few sips of green tea. She wondered what Ryan was doing, and looked over at her phone. It had been an hour since she'd sent him that message and he hadn't replied.

"So back to my night..." Rachel continued. Gemma welcomed the distraction, and she was in fits of laughter as her friend recounted her drunken encounter with the man from the bar.

...

The doorbell rang. Joanna switched off her hairdryer and waited. It rang again. She rolled her eyes and exhaled. Then, she marched into the front room and folded her arms. "Are you fucking deaf?"

Chris' eyes never left the screen. "What's that?"

"I said, are you fucking deaf?"

Chris mumbled something under his breath and waved her away.

"Because I was drying my hair in the other room and I could still hear the doorbell."

Chris started clapping. A slow, ironic clap. His eyes remained fixed to the screen.

Joanna opened the door.

"Is this a bad time?" Ryan asked. He had, of course, heard the argument from outside the couple's small townhouse. Joanna returned to her room without greeting him, making a point to slam the bedroom door shut.

Chris turned the TV off and turned to Ryan. "Sorry about that, mate." The two men went to the kitchen and made a show of looking through the fridge for something to drink. They both knew they'd end up having a beer, regardless of the time. Just as they were sitting down, Joanna walked in. She looked at them disapprovingly before announcing she was heading out. "She's still in a mood about me wanting to go out last night." Chris offered by way of explanation. Ryan pretended he understood, but Chris knew he didn't.

After a glorious afternoon spent watching the football, Ryan got up to leave. When he got home he switched on the radio and kicked off his shoes, mentally thanking Gemma for installing a whole-home audio system during the renovation. After a long shower, he sat at his desk for the rest of the evening, until he felt he'd earned dinner. His phone was flashing on the counter where he'd left it that morning, and he saw the text from Gemma. The thing about Gemma was that her allure was natural. Every fibre of her being was seductive, from the way she spoke to the way she moved. Ryan could just sense the self-deprecating tone of the message. "I was thinking I'd cook Domino's, actually..."

Ever a creature of habit, Ryan reached for the landline to order his Sunday night pizza. While he was on hold his phone buzzed, "Want company?" His heart raced.

"Mmhmm" he responded. After placing an order for two, he quickly rushed around the house, tidying the place up.

Gemma read back over the messages she'd interchanged with Ryan. It had taken him hours to respond to her, and then she'd replied within seconds. Did she usually reply that fast? Gemma suddenly couldn't remember how she would have acted just a day earlier. Did she usually invite herself over late in the evening like that? She mused over Ryan's lukewarm response. She wondered how he'd meant it. Then she looked at the jeans she was wearing and wondered what she should wear.

As she stood on his doorstep, Gemma rearranged her clothes and fiddled with her hair. She'd decided to go for a more casual look, so as not to give herself away. She felt vulnerable. She knocked on the door lightly and Ryan opened it almost immediately. His eyes wandered up her body, from the sandals on her perfectly pedicured feet, to the black leggings that were like a second skin, to the long top that was low enough for him to catch a glimpse of her cleavage and the peach lace bra that cupped her breasts. And then to the smile on her face, which was free of make up, and her thick, dark hair. Gemma didn't notice Ryan caressing her body with his eyes. She sat on the sofa while they made small talk, and Ryan poured their drinks. When the doorbell rang she was thankful for the interruption. She had never felt so uncomfortable with him before. She was clinging on to his every word, and feeling so self-conscious about her laugh. She made herself another, stronger drink and then settled back down on the sofa, with Ryan on the floor opposite her.

Once they'd eaten Gemma was herself once more. Ryan was recounting Chris and Joanna's latest fight while Gemma tried her best to imitate Joanna's whiney voice. Ryan was in stitches of laughter and Gemma was revelling in his attention. She was beaming and Ryan smiled to see her so happy. It was only a few days earlier that she'd been crying on the very floor he was sitting on. As the night wore on, they flitted between light-hearted chatter and more profound conversations, until Ryan suggested a movie. He let Gemma choose a DVD from his extensive collection. She grinned knowing how much he hated letting a girl choose what film to watch. Ryan was comforted by the knowledge that her taste in movies was rather incongruous with her obvious femininity. She liked her movies to have a bit of an edge; some grit. He was relieved that he wouldn't have to endure a romantic comedy.

"So, what are we watching?" Ryan asked, staring at Gemma on her knees in front of the DVD player.

"Love Actually." Gemma deadpanned.

"It's June."

"So?"

Ryan's face dropped. It was only when he saw Clint Eastwood's snarl on the screen that he commented. "Gran Torino. Very nice choice."

Gemma nodded in agreement as he patted the seat next to him on the dark brown sofa. She had tried her best to choose as unromantic a movie as possible. She closed her eyes as she sank into the buttery leather, her head on Ryan's lap as she lay on her side, facing the television. This was nothing new. Ryan reflected back to one weekend when they were fifteen when Gemma had first curled up with her head on his lap and fallen asleep after a party. This time felt different, though, and Ryan lamented the fact that his friendship with Gemma could be destroyed if he revealed how he was feeling. Instead, he sought comfort in playing with her hair as he sat vacantly staring at the screen.

Gemma's eyes closed as she concentrated on Ryan's fingers tangled in her hair. She floated in a state of sleepy satisfaction, and Ryan noticed her breathing growing deeper as she dozed off. He didn't know if it was a good thing that she was so comfortable in his presence, whether that meant he was so deeply fixed into the dreaded 'friend zone' that he couldn't move out of it. He reached for the remote and switched the movie off. Carrying her up to his bed for the second time that weekend, Ryan decided that enough was enough. This would be the week.

...

He placed her on his bed and covered her with the sheet, slipping into it himself wearing just his boxers. He rolled onto his side at the very edge of the mattress, not trusting himself with being so close to her. With his back turned Gemma's eyes flickered open. She licked her lips and stared at his back, noticing his muscles for the first time. She had been impressed by how strong his arms were as he had carried her as though she had weighed nothing. She felt the urge to reach out and touch him. Closing her eyes she rolled closer to him, letting her toes brush against his leg. Ryan's eyes shot open. He jerked his leg away reflexively. Gemma waited nervously. She felt Ryan's leg return to its place, almost searching for her foot. She smiled as their skin made contact again. Without thinking, Gemma slid her foot up and down his leg. Ryan rolled over to face her and Gemma squeezed her eyes shut, hoping he would think she was asleep. She heard his soft laugh.

"Oops." she whispered.

Ryan looked into her sleepy eyes and told her to get some sleep. She waited for him to turn over again. He didn't. She felt more awake now. In her mind they were playing a game, and if she was the first to look away then she'd lose. Ryan saw Gemma's expression change. She was challenging him. Ryan's cock stirred in his boxers when she arched an eyebrow at him. His eyes dropped to her lips, half open and pouty, and longed to kiss them. His tongue darted out and over his lips and his expression changed, too. Gemma was still looking into his eyes and noticed the hunger in them. She felt her thong grow damp with anticipation. Ryan looked into her eyes again, a gentle, tender look.

"Goodnight, Gem." He breathed, rolling over.

...

The next morning Ryan awoke when he heard the faint sound of his phone alarm. He showered and got dressed for his breakfast meeting. Before leaving, he sat on Gemma's side of the bed and brushed the hair away from her face, kissing her forehead softly. An hour or so later, Gemma woke up and decided it was time to go home. She was disappointed to find an empty bed and even more disappointed that there was no note. She had a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. She had overstepped a line. She ran down the stairs, grabbed her handbag and sandals and dashed out. She rummaged through the bag to find her set of keys and locked his front door.

She had a client dinner that evening with the Thompsons. She was designing their nursery as Mrs. Thompson was expecting twins in just under three months. When she got home she got straight to work, organising two identical folders filled with paint swatches, potential plans for the room, and of course the top of the line furnishings. Once she felt prepared she dressed for the occasion and asked Paul to fetch a taxi for her.

The dinner was a success and the couple were delighted with the plans. They toasted with Dom Perignon (and sparkling water for Mrs. Thompson) and Gemma was genuinely pleased. She watched the couple interact, the way they were so in sync, the way they knew when to take the lead and when to drop back. As the conversation turned to idle small talk, Gemma found herself wistfully thinking about Ryan.

The next morning Gemma was furious. She couldn't remember a day in the past year where she hadn't heard from Ryan. And after the moment they'd shared in his bed, the least he could do was call, surely. She rang Phoebe to take her mind off things, and surprised herself when she didn't mention staying the night at his house. Phoebe told her she was throwing a dinner on Friday night in order to celebrate Sam's big promotion to partner at his law firm, and asked Gemma if she thought she'd be bringing a guest. Gemma declared she would be, although she didn't actually have anyone in mind. Phoebe hid her surprise and when Gemma hung up she knew she was playing a dangerous game.

Ryan paced around his house, phone in hand. He'd waited all day for Gemma to text him. She always did, the second she woke up. He remembered that she'd had an important dinner last night and wondered if it had gone well. He was about to call her when his phone rang, and Phoebe was on the other end. "Ryan, babe, just calling to invite you to dinner this Friday."

"Sounds great, what's the occasion?"

"Sam's being made partner! The announcement should be made this Thursday! It'll be quite a big party, so I just wanted to have an idea of numbers."

"Congratulations! I'll definitely be there."

"And will you be bringing a guest, too?" Phoebe inquired.

"Don't tell me Rachel's bringing that prick from the other night!" Ryan laughed.

"Oh, I don't know about that. But Gemma's bringing someone. I didn't realise she was seeing someone already!"

Ryan made an excuse and hung up.

....

Gemma was at Rachel's flat, it was only ten in the evening but they'd were already a little buzzed. Gemma was ready for a big night out and Rachel was delighted. The pair looked great and they knew it. As soon as they walked into Chinawhite, Gemma was whisked away by a tall, blonde Russian. He took an instant shining to her and she decided that she liked him, too. Hours passed as they danced and grinded together on the dance floor, his lips kissing her neck as she pressed herself against him. Try as she might to let go, she started to find his cologne offensive and every time he whispered in her ear she was reminded that he wasn't Ryan. She was sure that was nothing another few drinks wouldn't fix.

...

"Ugh." Gemma rolled out of bed, relieved to have woken up alone. Her mouth was dry. The last thing she needed was a hangover. Today was the first day of the nursery renovation and she needed to be chez Thompson, and on top form, in less than an hour. When she arrived, the painters were already there, and the room was prepped and ready to be made-over. Gemma smiled feebly and pushed the sunglasses to the top of her head. She rolled up her sleeves and told everyone the plan for the day.

Ryan was still in a foul mood, having convinced himself Gemma was knee deep in some passionate, whirlwind love affair. He went into the City to meet with a high-powered executive who wanted some guidance about a change of image for his company, some advice on how to make it young and exciting in this, the age of Social Media. Ryan grimaced. The man was overdramatic and narcissistic and Ryan couldn't wait for the meeting to end. When it did, he walked into Pret A Manger to grab a quick lunch. Still feeling sorry for himself, he was oblivious to the woman sitting alone at a nearby table. And, like a scene from a bad movie, he looked up, tray in hand, and saw Rose. "Fuck. My. Life" he said, making no attempt to hide his feelings.

Rose looked at him and muttered. "Charming" she thought to herself.

Not knowing what possessed him, he placed his tray down on her table and they ate together in silence. Considering they'd slept together a few times, they knew very little about each other. They'd met at a conference, flirted a little and Rose had offered herself to Ryan without hesitation. The only thing Ryan knew for sure was that Rose was extremely needy. She looked smug when Ryan had finished his meal and she waited for him to speak. Ryan scribbled down his address, as Rose had never been to his place, and told her to meet him there at 7:30 on Friday. "And look your best."

...