Ghost of a Chance Ch. 02

Story Info
Sometimes romance needs an extra push.
2.4k words
4.68
12.6k
0

Part 2 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/13/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I watched as Penny crawled into bed, turned off the light and went to sleep.

I figured I'd pop in on Peterson to get to know him better. The first thing I noticed about his apartment was how Spartan it was. It was plain to see it could sure use a woman's touch. There were no pictures on the walls, no personal mementos lying about, just a couch, a rather large chair and a coffee table.

Peterson sat on the couch going through some papers that were piled on the coffee table. I glanced at the clock and it was almost midnight and he was still working ... a workaholic, huh ... well that didn't bode well for old Peterson's chances with Penny. After all, I was supposed to see that she was happy, how could she be happy being frozen out by paperwork all the time?

So I sat myself down in the chair and waited for Peterson to finish. It wasn't long before he was done and he leaned back and ran his fingers through his hair. He closed his eyes and I thought I saw a cloud of sadness cross his face.

He got up and went to a credenza and poured himself a scotch. Reaching down he opened a drawer in the credenza and pulled out a photograph. As I walked up behind him I saw it was a picture of him with a lovely young lady. They were laughing and had their arms around each other.

Peterson stood there sipping the scotch and looking at the picture for several minutes. He swallowed down the last of the scotch and carried the photograph over to the couch. He dropped down on the couch and gave the photo a sad smile. "Well Mattie," he began, "I think it's finally happened. You said it would and I didn't believe you. I think I may have met someone special, someone I'd at least like to get to know a little bit better so I've invited her out to dinner on Saturday night. I think you'd like her, Mattie, she's smart and funny."

I saw a single tear run down his face, "Why did you have to die? Why did you leave me alone like this."

I realized I was not alone. Beside me was a young woman looking at Peterson with sorrow and concern on her face. I knew from the photo it was Mattie. I didn't know what to say so I uncharacteristically kept quiet for a few moments, finally she said, "Poor Derek. He's been alone for a long time."

"Are you trying to be 'accepted' too?" I asked.

"No," she chuckled, "I was accepted a little over a year ago. I got sick and died and went to the highest plain. I just stop by and see Derek every now and then, when I feel he's sad or hurting. He's hurting now, he's thinking that somehow he'll be cheating on me if he gets involved with that other woman. Of course, that's silly, but that's what he's feeling."

"My name is Chris, by the way, it's nice to meet you Mattie."

"I'm pleased to meet you too. Tell me, can Derek hear you?"

"Not really hear, but somehow the things I whisper seem to him like his own ideas or something."

"Good. I want you to tell him it's okay. That I'm happy here and I want him to be happy too. Tell him that it's okay to love again."

I sat down on the couch beside Peterson ... Derek ... and collected my thoughts. Finally I whispered, "Mattie was a great girl but she's gone now. She's content where she is now and wants you to be happy ... to find love again. Penny is a great girl, too. I think you two would make a great couple. You see, Penny suffered a loss very similar to yours and she would understand how you feel. And, you're right. Penny is smart and funny ... and she's a whole lot more. You'll enjoy getting to know her."

Derek got up and put the photo back in the drawer and went to bed.

The next two days were busy for both Penny and Derek, so neither one had much time to worry about the date Saturday

Mattie was a big help. She told me more about Derek and I found myself actually liking him. Maybe they could find new love together.

Saturday finally came, it was D (date) day. It was all I could do to keep one or the other of them from calling to cancel. I bounced back and forth between the two of them all day until I felt like a damned ping-pong ball. But finally Derek was on his way to pick her up. And, the last time I popped in on Penny, she was getting dressed and getting her make-up on.

They were together finally driving toward a restaurant on the outskirts of town. I felt I deserved a break but their silence in the car screamed at me. They were both nervous.

I had to do something! So, I whispered in Penny's ear, "Turn on the stereo." She did and a CD slid in the player. The Overture from Carmen came on and she was taken by surprise. "That's one of my favorite operas, I didn't realize you were an opera enthusiast, too."

Derek laughed, "I don't know that I'd call myself an enthusiast, but yes, I like most operas. Not the Germanic ones, like the Wagners and such ... big ladies in Viking hats holding spears does nothing for me."

"Oh, I agree ..."

Okay, chalk one up to the guardian angel. I had found their first common link and I could sit back and relax a little while now that the ice had been broken.

Before I knew it, dinner was over and they were once again unusually quiet. When they got to Penny's apartment I thought she was going to say goodnight at the door. I quickly saddled up to her and whispered, "You've got to at least invite the guy in for a cup of coffee, for crying out loud!"

She paused when she got the key in the door, "How about a cup of coffee?" And Derek readily accepted.

While Penny busied herself in the kitchen, Derek looked around the living room. He liked what he saw, a warm and cozy room, but not one filled with foo-foo stuff. He walked over to the bookcase and noticed there were several books there that he had read. Just then Penny entered with a tray containing the coffee pot and two cups. She sat down on the sofa and poured.

Derek sat down beside her, I could tell he was tense. Unexpectedly Mattie showed up, "It's not going too well, is it?"

"Well, they've had a pleasant enough evening but now I don't think either of them know what to do."

Derek finally said, "I've should be going ..."

Penny stood up "Okay, I had a really nice time tonight, thank you."

Derek was walking toward the door when he stopped and turned around, "Look, I might as well tell you. I'm a widower. I have been for over a year now and tonight was my first date. I'm afraid I'm out of practice as far as this dating thing is concerned. I don't know what to do. Hell, sometimes I don't even know what to say."

Penny took a step toward him and put her hand on his arm, "It's okay, believe me, I understand. The last man I dated was killed in an accident, I haven't dated since then either. I guess that makes us both a little rusty when it comes to the 'social graces'."

Derek just looked at her for a few seconds then he said, "I had a feeling you would understand. Thank you."

He then took her chin between his thumb and forefinger, bent his head toward hers and lightly kissed her. A shudder went through her, but she hoped he hadn't noticed. His kiss was tentative at first, but then he put his arm around her waist and pulled her toward him. His kiss was warm and wet and spoke of a yearning older than time.

When he released her Penny had to grasp the back of the sofa for support. She couldn't trust her trembling legs to hold her up. Derek stepped back and looked into her eyes, "I don't know where this is leading, but I do know that I want to get to know you better."

Almost shyly Penny replied, "I would like that I think."

I could sense the evening was over and I quickly whispered in Penny's ear, "Ask him over for dinner."

"How about I fix you dinner tomorrow night? Say about 7:00?"

Derek said, "That would be wonderful ... I'll bring the wine."

This time Penny stepped up to him, rose up on her tip toes and gently kissed him, "Until tomorrow night then." Derek smiled and said goodnight.

Penny leaned against the door for a while thinking about the evening. It had been far more than pleasant. It had been wonderful. Derek had actually made her laugh and that kiss! Just like the other night, that kiss had sent tingles all through her. She wondered if he would be her lover. Her lover ... she hadn't thought about taking another lover since Chris. Tears welled up in her eyes when she thought about us ... about what an ass I had been. She knew then that it was time to move on with her life and said out loud, "Chris, if you can hear me, goodbye. I loved you, and you'll always have a place in my heart. But you're gone now and Derek is here and I deserved some sort of happiness. Happiness. When I find it again, I'm going to grab on with both hands and never let go. I deserve to have someone love me, Chris."

Mattie just stood beside me watching Penny. A tear slid down her face as she turned out the lights and made her way to bed.

I didn't realize tears were running down my face until Mattie reached up a tender finger and wiped them away.

The next day Penny started at the market buying all the things she would need for dinner, then she began cooking. She had decided on Italian, a nice Chicken Alfredo, a crisp salad, homemade breadsticks and tiramisu for dessert.

First she put together the tiramisu and got it in the frig, then it was on to making the bread.

When she covered the bread to rise, she went into her bathroom to get ready. She jumped in the shower and began by soaping up, she washed her hair and then went on to shave her legs.

I remembered how I had loved her smooth pussy. So, I whispered to her and seemingly out of the blue came a thought that made her giggle and blush. She soaped up the thatch of dark curls between her legs and began shaving it off. Soon she was as smooth as the day she was born.

When she got out of the shower and looked at herself in the mirror she smiled. It had been a long time since she had shaved and she preferred herself this way. She truly liked the look and feel of her mons when she did.

She finished getting ready and reached for an ordinary dress. That wouldn't do at all, I thought. She should look exotic tonight, with a little encouragement from the great beyond, she decided to wear a caftan tonight. It was a peacock blue with little mirrors embroidered about the neckline. She opted for no underwear and on her feet were simple sandals. The finished off the look by putting on dangling earrings and an anklet that quietly jingled when she walked.

She knew she was being naughty, but she didn't care. She was finally beginning to loosen up and recapture some of that old adventurousness.

She had just finished the Chicken Alfredo when there was a knock at the door. Turning the stove down to simmer, she went to answer it. Derek let out a low whistle when he saw her. God she was beautiful!

He was as tongue-tied as a school boy, "I hope this wine will be okay."

"I'm sure it will be," as she lead him into the kitchen and got a corkscrew and two wine glasses. "I hope you like Chicken Alfredo"

"It's one of my favorites."

He raised his glass to her, "To a beautiful lady."

She sipped her wine and then raised her glass to him, "To a handsome man."

Without further encouragement Derek sat down his wine glass on the counter and pulled her to him. At first his kiss was as gentle as the previous ones. When Penny rose up on her tiptoes and wrapped her arms around his neck they became most insistent.

Well, I didn't want to stay and see them making love, so I turned away. There was a long, misty corridor in front of me with Mattie standing there, her hand stretched out to mine.

"Come on, Chris. It's time we gave these two some privacy and I've come to show you the way to the next plain."

I took her hand and couldn't help but look back at Derek and Penny. She was standing flat footed with her hands on his chest. "I don't know if I can do this, Derek. I thought I could but now I'm not so sure."

I released Mattie's hand and stepped back to Penny. I kissed her on the cheek and whispered, "Go ahead, honey. You were right when you said you deserved some happiness. Derek is a great guy and I know he will make you very happy."

I gently pushed her against him and turned once again to walk away. I heard her say, "Derek, kiss me again."

I knew then things would be alright between Derek and Penny.

I took Mattie's hand again and we began walking toward the end of the corridor when she said, "Chris, you know smoking and drinking aren't the only things you can do up here ..."

There was a mischievous light in her eyes and I smiled back at her. As I put my arms around her I said, "I think I'm going to like eternity."