Ghostly Love Ch. 04

Story Info
A active imagination and a bad day.
1.2k words
4.55
13.8k
2

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 07/24/2006
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After ten minutes, Sheriff Wilkes was back at Mrs. Holmes door assuring Brenda that there was no one in her house and that there wasn't any evidence that there had been anyone in there to begin with. But to be sure, he was going to have a patrol car come around every fifteen minutes or so just to be sure she wasn't in any danger.

Even with the Sheriff's well meaning enthusiasm about there being no one present in the house, Brenda was still frightened to be there alone. Mrs. Holmes patted her hand and smiled up at her. "Now, don't you worry any. If the Sheriff says that there is no one there, then there isn't. He's quite good at his job, you know. That's why he's the Sheriff."

Brenda nodded more to herslef than Mrs. Holmes. "I am sure your right, Mrs. Holmes. I am positive you are."

Mrs. Holmes walked her to her front door and left her there, smiling and saying she would be just fine. Brenda turned to the door that seperated her from the inside of the house. Don't be stupid Brenda, she told herself. There isn't anyone there. Just relax. She nodded to herself and took a deep breath before opening the door. Taking a step inside, she felt the screen door slam shut behind her, making her jump. "Damn it Bren, relax," she told herself aloud. Closing the front door softly, she kept her eyes trained on the rest of the house. When nothing jumped out at her, she smiled to herself. See? Fine.

She walked to the back of the house turning on every light on her way to the kitchen. Light was good. The boogyman couldn't get you with the lights on. In the kitchen she turned on the over head light and sighed. She needed some milk. Yes, milk. That would help her get some sleep. Mother always made her warm milk when she couldn't sleep at night. Maybe that was all she needed.

Ten minutes later she sat at the table in the kitchen sipping the warm milk. Glancing at the clock she sighed. She was going to have to get up for work in an hour. It was nearly two a.m. already. "Grrr...." Brenda stood and dumped the milk out. No reason to go back to bed now. She could go to Serevello and get an early start on the bread. Yes, that is exactly what she should do. She'd always ment to start earlier in the day. Smiling now, she trugged her way up stairs and into her bedroom, showing quickly and dressing even faster in loose fitting jeans and a clean white t-shirt.

As she slipped her Nike Crosstrainers on and slipped a coat over her shoulders she could have swron she herd a voice. "Works too much..." Brenda smiled again and shook her head. Now she was thinking that Dan was here? Laughing at that, she grabbed her purse and keys, heading out of the house. There was nothing like getting a head start.

Kell watched her get ready and tried not to smile. She thought she had a purpose. He supposed she did. He'd listened in, as if he could help it, on a phone call she had apparently made to her business partner. She had been bragging about how well the business had been going thus far. How popular it had become. He supposed she had something to be giddy about if the truth was what he had herd her say. She had built the beginnings of an empire it sounded like. But it also sounded as if she didn't want to expand. Just a small store, she had said repeatedly.

When she slipped her large coat on, Kell couldn't help himself from mumbling "You work to much." Brenda had looked startled for a moment, but then must have decided that she thought it, because she smiled that smile again. Kell felt something deep inside him clench everytime she smiled like that. This time wasn't any diffrent. Ah, but if he had a body.... He knew that he wanted her. She was an attractive thing, and that smile... Aye, he wanted her. "Damned foolish thoughts," he berated himself. Aye he wanted her, but how was he to have her? He had naught a body to hold her, or lips in which to kiss her.

"Damned foolish thoughts." He growled again. "She's turning me into milk toast." With that hanging in the air as she vanished out the door, he disappeared.

~~~~~~

It had been the day from hell. When Bren arrived at Serevello, everything seemed to be going well. She got half the product she needed done for the day done by her quarterly break. Pleased with herself, and not the least bit tired, when Jack came in at nine, Bren smiled at him and told him to go home.

"You don't mean that Bren. I mean, we've got the weeks worth of rolls to do today, remember? For the McAfaree order? Its not possible that you can get it all done by yourself." Bren smiled and led him to the bin that held all of the fresh breads. "Holy christ, Boss, you've got half the order done already. How?"

Jack stared at her waiting for an answer. But she didn't really have one. "Just felt engergized I guess." She shrugged her shoulders and headed back to the work table.

"I still think I should stay boss. I mean, what if something goes wrong?"

"Jack! Go home. I thought you would enjoy a day off."

"I would-"

"Then GO!" Brenda said laughingly. Waving him away, she listened to him whistle as he left to enjoy the beautiful day.

It had all gone down hill from there.

By noon, Brenda was over her head in orders for the week, and no way to do it on her own. She refused to call Jack, telling herself it wouldn't be fair to him. The doughnuts up front were sold out and needed more, the bagguttes were going like mad, and they needed to be remade, and the corn chowder (which was the soup of the day) was out. Brenda wanted to tear her hair out by the roots, but refrained because hair in the product would be a bad thing.

By the time Serevello closed, Brenda sat at her work table, tears ready to fall. She hadn't gotten a break since eight that morning, and still had yet to eat. It was seven o'clock and Bren was usually home by one at the latest, and asleep by seven. But she was still sitting at her work table unsure of what to do next.

"Hey you." Heather, Brenda's best friend and partner, opened the door to the bakery slightly smiling at Brenda before entering. "That was a doosy of a day!"

"Your telling me."

"You look stressed."

"I'm usually in bed by now." Brenda shook her head. "And I'm starving."

"I've got an idea!" Heather said triumphantly. "Lets get some take out and go to your place. I'm dying to see it."

Brenda smiled weakly. "Sure. But I choose the place!"

"Done," Heather said laughing. She helped Brenda up and talked while Brenda got ready to go. "Hey, here's an idea. Lets close up shop tomorrow. You know, just for the day."

"But the profits-"

"Will be fine. I'm the business end of this team, remember?" Heather swung her arm over Brenda's shoulders as they walked out and locked up.

"Chinese food here I come!" Brenda laughed.