Ghosts: CATU Book 01 Ch. 08

Story Info
The investigation continues.
4.3k words
11.2k
3

Part 8 of the 11 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 09/12/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

White House

"First and foremost Tim, I'm sorry for your loss," the President says as Timothy Stanos walked into the office.

"Thank you sir, it's a loss for all of us."

"I just hope that's all it is," McKinsey says.

"What do you mean?"

"Come on Tim. He was found at an abandoned airport with a bullet in his head. He's the Chief of Staff. I just hope he wasn't a traitor."

Stanos hadn't thought about that small factor. He was so filled with rage that Ghost had killed Bowling.

"Was he alone?" asks Stanos.

"Yes. There was blood in other various places, different types. Right now it's being investigated. I gave orders to keep it under wraps until we have something definite. As his friend do you know of anything he was working on since various things are kept from me," McKinsey says taking on a harsher tone.

The soldiers are gone and no other traces. Damn them. They will pay for betraying us.

"Not that I am aware of sir. But I intend to find out. Will you keep me informed sir?"

"Of course, you're the Vice President. You have full clearance. I want the truth found soon. At this point this administration doesn't need another catastrophe. The people are losing faith in us and quite frankly I'm losing faith in our people to find my daughter."

"They're working as hard as they can sir."

Standing up out of the chair McKinsey slams his fist on the desk. "Damn it Tim! I don't care how they are working. These terrorists have us by the balls and we're standing here with our dicks in our hands not knowing what to do with them. I don't want John to be branded a traitor but whoever gets hung out to dry will get hung out. I want my daughter back alive and I want this presidency to come away with some face."

Stanos stands in shock, not a word coming to mind on what to say. This is the first time he has seen the President mad and he was out for blood. His next moves would have to be done carefully.

"I'll get this moving sir. The quicker we get answers the better chance we have to finding Sara. If it means John was a traitor then that's what it means."

McKinsey has turned his back to Stanos. He doesn't say a word; he just stands there and nods. Stanos cannot think of anything else to say and turns and leaves the office.

I'm sorry old friend. You may have to be a traitor to become a martyr one day.

——

Reeds, Roberts! In my office!" Roger yells.

They hurried to his office. "Yeah boss, what's up?" asks Sam.

"What leads did you find yesterday?" he asks.

"We know who the sniper is but that's about it. We were going to check out his last place of residence, see if it turns up anything," Spencer says.

"Scratch that. Send Adams over there should be simple enough. I have another task for you two. This came in early this morning to only a few of us. The Chief of Staff was found dead, possibly by this sniper of ours. We were asked to work with the investigation in hopes we may find information to lead us to the President's daughter."

"Who are we working with?" asks Spencer.

"You'll be working with the NSA and the Vice President. He is going to be spearheading the investigation. This is a high priority coming from the President himself. Any questions?"

"No boss," says Sam.

"Good luck you two. We're running out of days, make something happen and good luck."

——

Good morning sir, ma'am," Adams says to Spencer and Sam as they approach his desk.

"Morning," says Spencer.

"Good morning," says Sam.

"Are we ready to head out?" Adams asks.

"You're on your own today. We need you to go the Mathsen's last residence and see what you can uncover there," says Spencer.

"Sure, no problem. Do I meet up with you later?"

"No. Just report what you find to Roger. He'll know where to find us," he says.

"I'll get Donna to get the address for you, if you get another lead follow it, but don't get yourself into any danger. Call for back up. Got that?" Sam asks.

"Yeah, no problem. Good luck guys," Adams replies.

——

Adams waits a few minutes to give Spencer and Sam time to leave before picking up the phone.

"International Bank of Trade and Commerce, how may I direct your call?" the operator asks.

"Mr. Kloser please," Adams says.

"Thank you sir, may I ask who this is?" the operator inquires.

"Henry Rolings."

The line clicked over, music filled his ears as he waited on hold. Henry Rolings was the name they had agreed to use to keep suspicion down and any trail cold.

The line clicked over once again. "Kloser."

"How about we do some catching up old buddy?" asks Adams.

"I'm free now if you are," says Kloser.

"Yeah. A beer as usual?"

"Yes old friend, same place too."

The line goes dead. Adams hangs up, grabs his coat and leaves.

Donna stands just around the corner. She was coming to bring the address for Adams when she heard his conversation.

What could he want with Kloser? Could he be our mole?

She isn't fooled by the code they used. As long as she has been in this business, she knew when code was being used and when it wasn't. She decides to follow him. She wasn't a field agent but she still had a job to do. She returns to her desk to grab her gun, then leaves.

——

Perfect. Just fucking perfect. Now we have no choice but to rely on Kloser. Once this is over, Stanos will not hesitate to hand us over to the government."

Hanson was pacing back and forth. He had just had a brief conversation with Stanos. It was a simple conversation too. Funding was cut, Stanos was pissed and when all was over, Hanson would wish he wasn't born.

"We just have to turn this around," Rudolph says. He sat through the phone call. He didn't need to hear what was said by Stanos, just the look Hanson had on his face was enough.

"We already have made a mistake by embracing the fact we hired the sniper. Now it has turned on us. We are mere days away from phase one," Hanson says.

"We need to take back control of the situation then," Rudolph says.

"You have a plan? I'm all out of them right now."

"Considering the media seems to have no knowledge of Bowling's death, I say we present the information to the Americans. Discredit the government more. We say he was in league with us, which is the truth. He betrayed us so we had him eliminated. Simple."

Hanson mulls over the proposition. Rudolph did have a good idea; a preemptive strike against the government could work.

"Yes, we'll do it. Tomorrow. We let them know, then give them one last warning. Perfect one day before their deadline."

"I'll get preparations made," Rudolph says.

"Good. Has Fredrich started Phase Two?" Hanson asks.

"Yes. He has the children staked out. We have men waiting for the signal."

"Give the signal tomorrow during the broadcast. I'll take the children and a few men with me in the plane back to the safe house. You pack up here then follow," Hanson orders.

"Very well. I shall get started then."

"Thank you Rudy."

——

Spencer and Sam pull up to the hanger after having to be cleared through the checkpoint gate the NSA set up.

"They sure want to keep this a secret," Sam says as they step out of the car.

"Yeah, I hope we get somewhere here," responds Spencer.

A man in a business suit comes walking up to them. "Agent Reeds and Agent Roberts?" the man inquires.

"Yes that's us," replies Spencer.

"I'm Agent Strandon, NSA. Have you been briefed with the situation?"

"Some what. We know the Chief of Staff was murdered, but nothing really beyond that," Spencer says.

"That almost sums it up, almost. We have found several spots where they lay someone. Different blood types, so we know there were several people. We believe because of the shell casings, the men that were killed were soldiers, probably American. The other shells were of military grade but mostly AK-47 shells."

"Was the Chief of Staff armed?" asks Sam.

"No. We assume he brought soldiers with him, so he had no need to carry a gun. There are tire tracks telling us a semi was here recently. Right now we believe Ghost was here buying weapons, hence the semi. After your agency's bust, they needed weapons. Right now we aren't sure of the Chief of Staff's position here."

"That's because he was here to stop them," Stanos says with a raised voice as he walks up to the group.

"Sir," Strandon says turning toward Stanos.

"Agent Reeds," Spencer says. He points to Sam, "Agent Roberts."

"Special Agents correct?" asks Stanos.

"Yes sir. May I ask what you meant by that statement?" asks Spencer.

"I've known John for over thirty years; we served in the military together. I suggested him to the President for God's sake. He's a patriot and has served his whole life for this country. There is no way he was involved in this in the wrong way." Strandon takes a small step backward; he seems a little hesitant to say what is on his mind.

"Agent Strandon, do you have another take on this?" asks Sam.

"I do yes. Based on the evidence Bowling's soldiers should have been spread out more instead of clustered. I served in the Army so I know what tactics soldiers use. The shot that killed Bowling came from a distance, a sniper based on the bullet. That means he had to be here meeting with someone. They made the deal, the sniper killed him, and the soldiers had to be on the good side of things, so the person he was meeting had the soldiers killed."

Anger shows in Stanos' face. "This is preposterous. John was not a traitor and if he brought soldiers he was here to stop them."

"Sir. Was Mr. Bowling working on something official?" asks Sam.

"If he was that is confidential and top secret," Stanos answers.

Spencer looks to Strandon. "First, if he was working on a case like this, then why? He was the Chief of Staff; this is not in his job description. Second, even with his military experience he would not lead an assault like this holding the position he had."

"I agree," Strandon says.

Stanos stands there looking to each one in turn. If he kept trying to defend his friend, it would start looking like he had something to do with it.

Sorry John, please forgive me.

Collecting himself and letting his anger cool down, he says, "Forgive me for defending a long term friend. It's hard even for me to believe John would do something like this. I guess in my heart I just don't want it to be true."

"I understand sir. If I may be honest, I don't think you should be in charge of this investigation. Being so close to the victim and from an emotional standpoint," says Spencer.

This only sets Stanos off once again. "Let me tell you something. I've been in more situations then you have. I've seen many friends blown to shreds or cut down by enemy fire. Don't you think you can patronize me about leading an investigation because of emotional bullshit?"

"Now, now boys, let's just calm down. We're all here to do a job and find the truth no matter how much it hurts," Sam says using her country accent.

Way to play it Sam.

Instantly Stanos calms himself and straightens up his suit. "I'm sorry ma'am. I usually don't get this way in the presence of a lady," Stanos apologizes.

"Now that we all know where we stand, we can get to work. I have these badges for you two. Wear them everywhere here so my men will know who you are and give you any assistance you need. Make sure we get them back before you are through," Strandon says handing them the badges.

"Will you be staying here with us sir?" Spencer asks directing his question toward Stanos.

"No I have meetings to attend today. If you need anything Agent Strandon cannot provide, he knows how to contact me."

"Thank sir, we'll do our best to find out the truth," Spencer says shaking his hand.

"This way," Strandon says gesturing toward the hanger.

Stanos' phone rings as he climbs into his limo. "Hello?"

Hello Timothy. I trust you have the situation with John under control?

Of course he seems to know everything that happens.

"Yes, I have one of my most trusted running the scene."

Good. Make sure he is aware they are not to find out the truth yet. The price of failure can be an enduring process.

"I have taken care of it. Why did you have him killed? He was supposed to be with me when I became president."

I had nothing to do with it, that was up to the one controlling the sniper's leash. In the end it works out. You now have a fall guy for one of your moles.

"He didn't deserve to be called a traitor."

What else would he be or you for that matter?

"This is for the people and this country. We need someone in control that will set things right."

We shall see. In the meantime stick with the plan I gave you and you'll have what you want.

Stanos hangs up the phone and shakes his head. Out loud he says, "What have I gotten us into?"

——

Adams pulls into an alley behind The Buckaroo Salon. Kloser's limo is already there waiting. He finds a parking space and parks, then walks the distance to the limo and gets in.

"What's so distressing you had to see me Geoffrey?" asks Kloser.

"They've learned the name of your sniper for one. They want me to start investigating his last whereabouts and find anything I can on him," Adams says.

"And the problem is what? You are in the perfect position for this."

"I know that, but they want results."

"Then give them some. Just stall them for a few more days," Kloser says laughing, "Something else is bothering you."

"Delgrious promised me I'd get to have my way with the girl, but the agency is creeping up on Ghost. They may even find out where they are before the deadline."

"He'll come through with his promise as long as you hold onto yours. Once this is done, you'll have your revenge and have a better position to assist us when we call on you."

Adams didn't feel that way. His only worry was missing out on getting his revenge. He'd have it even if this fell through, but he'd have to wait. He was growing impatient. He lived his whole life waiting for the moment he'd be alone with her.

"All I want is my revenge on her. What you or anyone has planned is not my concern."

"Very well. You'll get it as long as you fulfill your part. Now if you don't have anything else, I am a busy man. Next time you have a lack of confidence find a priest. Come to me when a real problem presents itself."

The door opens and a woman is shoved into the limo followed by a man that looks like he was a bouncer for the club. Adams instantly recognizes the woman as Donna.

"Who is this?" asks Kloser.

"I found her snooping behind the trash cans," says the bouncer.

"That's Donna Michaels, she works at the agency," Adams says.

Kloser laughes. "Did you find what you were looking for Miss Michaels?"

She spits in Kloser's face. Looking at Adams she yells, "You son of a bitch! You're the mole, you're helping the terrorists!"

Kloser slaps her so hard that her head flies back. Blood trickles from her lip. Kloser look at the bouncer. "Kill her; make it look like a mugging."

"Wait!" Adams yells.

Kloser looks at him about to ask why when Adams explains himself. "Let me have my fun with her. I'll say I took her with me and we were attacked. They attackers took her and I got away. She'll show up dead, her body mutilated and everyone will think the terrorists did it."

Kloser thinks about it for a moment then says, "Tie her up and gag her. Have your fun and dispose of her. And remember to keep them stalled for a few more days."

The bouncer and Adams get out of the limo and place Donna in his car. Kloser drives away and the bouncer goes into the bar. Adams stands looking at Donna. "We're going to have some fun," he syas laughing. He closes the trunk and gets into the car.

——

After spending several hours at the hanger, Spencer and Sam return to headquarters.

"Did you find out anything?" asks Roger.

Spencer forms a grin. "A semi was used possibly to transport weapons. The tire tracks matched standard tires used by semis. We're waiting on any soldiers that are AWOL within the last twenty-four hours. Other than that, the hanger was empty and there is no sign of where the Mathsen took the shot, if he was there."

"My guess is Mathsen was there, but soldiers? US soldiers?" Roger asks. His voice full of doubt.

"It's possible sir. Most likely Bowling was a traitor working with Ghost. The soldiers could have been following orders or just as part of it. It's hard to say, there was blood from what we guess were the soldiers, twenty of them. They are either dead and they took the bodies or wounded and they will use them as hostages."

"They have us in their web and they're spinning it bigger," Sam says.

"What has Adams come up with?" Spencer questions.

Roger's face goes blank. "You haven't seen him since this morning?"

"No," says Sam.

"Maybe Donna has seen him," says Sam.

Roger pushes a button on the phone. "Donna have you seen Adams?"

No answer.

"Donna?"

"I'll go see if I can find her." Sam says as she gets up to leave office in search of the woman.

"Damn it Spencer, we're down to the line on this. We haven't had any luck finding this mole and our leads are getting us nowhere."

"We're trying boss, we just need a break."

"I know Spence, that's why I have you two leading this. If you can't get it down, then it can't be done."

Sam comes rushing through the door at that moment. "I can't find her and no one has seen her since this morning about the time Adams left."

"He could have taken her with him," says Spencer.

"I don't see that happening, he's too eager to move up in rank," says Roger. "Try to reach both on their cell phones."

"Already tried, no answer," says Sam.

"Agent Roberts!" calls a voice from the hall.

She steps into the hall almost running into the man. "What is it?"

"It's Agent Adams ma'am. He's down in the infirmary, looks banged up."

"Let's go."

They all run to the infirmary dreading what was to come. When they reach the door, the agent says, "The doctor said he'll be alright, he has minor wounds."

"Thank you. Anything on Agent Michaels?" asks Roger.

"No sir, I'll do some checking on her for you sir."

"Yes do that."

After the agent left they entered the room. Adams didn't look too bad, just some minor cuts and bruises anyone would get after a brawl. Adams opens his eyes when the three enter the room.

"I'm sorry sir, I couldn't protect her," he says.

"What happened to Agent Michaels?" Spencer asks.

"I offered her to come along and she agreed since she hadn't been to the field in some time. We investigated the place Mathsen resided, which he rented a room for several months. We learned he worked at the same bar we went to yesterday. We went in to ask questions and we were attacked. A couple of bouncers grabbed Agent Michaels and left through the back. When I finally managed to get to the back, there was no sign of anybody. I was able to catch a street cop's attention to get away."

"Go ahead and rest Geoffrey. We'll find her, it's not your fault," Roger says patting him on the shoulder.

They leave the room with Sam looking like she has seen a ghost.

"What's wrong Sam?" asks Spencer.

"His name is Geoffrey?" she asks looking at Roger.

"Yes, why?"

"It may just be paranoia boss, but the man that shot me was named Geoffrey."

12