Gifts From a Spirit

Story Info
He shows her things she cannot see.
3.8k words
4.75
42.1k
21
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Tony155
Tony155
1,222 Followers

Chapter 1

A soft snowfall blanketed the earth that late night Christmas Eve. The stillness of the evening was broken only by the occasional car that went through the sleepy suburban neighborhood. Julie McPherson heard a car go past as the crunching of the tires against the icy pavement broke the silence. Soon, the sound faded into the distance until it was quiet once more.

"Probably someone coming home from a party," Julie mumbled to herself sadly.

She was tired but not sleepy as she continued to read her romance novel. It was a story of a woman who lost her love as a teenager only to find him once again through extraordinary circumstances. Julie loved romance novels as she tried to put herself into the character of the heroine. Their love lives were as exciting and romantic as hers was dull and uneventful.

It had been a long time since she had a man in her life and the prospects of her shedding her singleness was rapidly losing its luster.

At thirty-two, she had begun to realize that her time was running out to be a mother, something she wanted in the worst way. Orphaned as a small child and with no other family to take her in, Julie was shuttled from orphanages to foster homes and back until she turned eighteen and was turned out to fend for herself. She worked her way through college and was now an accountant for a successful financial firm in the city. Her occasional dates, while nice, never developed into the kind of relationship where she would be swept off her feet and live happily ever after. Very rarely did she ever turn down a date, hoping each time for that romantic spark to light her heart.

At first, she thought it just bad luck that Mr. Right wasn't falling into her lap, but after years of dating and no success, she started to look within herself for possible reasons. Julie never considered herself beautiful and to a point, she was right. She had a pleasant face, a trim body, and she thought she was as witty and charming as the next girl. It had to be something else, something from within her that stopped her dearest dreams from happening. Marriage and motherhood was something she felt she had to have, something that was owed her since she grew up so alone.

There were a few male prospects at her workplace, some of whom she dated, but most of them showed no interest in her except for friendship. Just my luck, she thought to herself grimly as she cast the book aside. Most women would love to have male friends who wanted nothing more than that, but she wanted more. She did like a few of them quite a lot, namely Tom Johansson in payroll and Derek Farmer in advertising, but both were the quiet, reserved type and neither had asked her out. Sure, both had conversed with her during work hours occasionally, but it never went further than that.

Her female friends tried many times to hook Julie up with dates and she trusted them explicitly in their choices. Only a few, however, lasted more than a few dates. When she felt that the relationship wasn't going in the direction she wanted, she would break it off. Only one relationship in the past four years lasted more than six months and she regretted giving up on that one. He had been a brother of one of the secretaries and Julie was head over heels from the start. Keith was everything she had ever wanted in a serious relationship; good looking, funny, and smart. And he loved her. He was everything except marriage minded.

Keith was truthful with her from the start, stating he wasn't sure about marriage and didn't know if he ever would be. Julie accepted it at first, hoping he would change his mind in the future. When their first anniversary came and went and there was no sign of him even thinking about marriage, Julie decided to cut her losses. That was six months ago and sometimes she still wished they were together. At least she wouldn't be alone during the holidays again.

It was almost midnight when she decided to flip on the TV. "It's a Wonderful Life" was about to begin on one of the cable channels and she always loved to watch it. In her mind, it was the perfect Christmas movie. As the movie played, Julie curled up in a ball on the sofa and pulled an afghan over her. Soon, sleep overtook her as the sounds of the movie became distant until they were no more.

Chapter 2

Julie woke a short time later as she heard, no felt, a presence in the room that wasn't there just minutes before. The TV was still on, although a commercial was playing. She lifted her head from the arm of the couch and through her drowsy fog saw a tall figure near her small decorated tree. He was putting something on it, tenderly placing an ornament lovingly around a lower branch. Dressed in a bright, flowing green robe, she could see he was elderly, having a white beard and a weathered, lined face. He paid no attention to her as he continued his work.

Julie was alarmed, but immediately felt no fear from him. His eyes were bright, his face kindly, and she knew instinctively he would not harm her. Surely, I must be dreaming, she thought.

"Who are you?" she asked softly.

The old man stopped and turned his attention to her, smiling as he did. "I am many things to many people," he replied in a melodious voice.

"Are you a ghost?"

"Some think I am. Others think I am a spirit."

"Who do you think you are?" Julie asked.

The old man laughed. It was a hearty, loving laugh that filled her living room. "I am whomever you want me to be."

Julie thought this over for a minute as he waited patiently. This is one great dream, she thought. I hope it doesn't end too soon. "Why have you come to me? What have I done to deserve your presence?" Julie sensed something important was about to happen to her. What is was, she didn't know.

The old man said nothing, but glided to her. He slowly knelt down and placed his hands over her golden locks. His touch was gentle and soft, yet very warm. Warmth seemed to radiate from his hands as they stayed upon her head. A few minutes went by before he removed them and stood up again.

"You have had a very sad life and you are not happy. Is that not so?"

"You know much about me."

"Ah, little one," he said softly. "You feel no one will ever love you and that you will never bring a child into this world."

"Yes," Julie replied softly, her head down. How could he know all this? Tears of sadness began to fall down her cheeks.

The old man reached forward and lifted her face. "Ah, little one, do not cry. I have something for you."

He moved away from her and with great effort knelt down heavily on the floor next to a small, brown sack.

"I don't think there's anything in that sack for me," Julie said solemnly.

"Ah, that is where you are wrong, my dear," he said, his piercing blue eyes blazing at he looked at her. "Things that I bring are not always as they seem." From the sack, he extracted an ornate pocket watch. He held it in front of his face and smiled. He swung it gently back and forth as he continued to smile.

Julie's heart sank when she saw what he held in his hand. A pocket watch. What good was that to her?

The old man let the sack fall and he glided back to her. "This is no ordinary watch, my dear. It will let you see things as they were, as they are, and what they could be."

"I....I don't understand," she stammered.

"I will show you what you do not see," he said gently. "Do you trust me?"

"Yes," she said softly.

"Come, my dear. Touch the watch and we will begin your journey."

The watch lay in his hand, palm upwards. The old man looked at her impassively, waiting for Julie to make up her mind. Slowly, tentatively, Julie touched the watch. As soon as she did, the old man's free hand swiftly clamped down upon hers. Bright light escaped between the openings of their fingers as great warmth greeted them. The old man smiled at her and nodded, his white hair flowing as everything around them darkened until the only light seen was emanating between their hands.

Chapter 3

As if watching a play, Julie saw her life unfold before her. She witnessed her birth in the bright, sterile delivery room to a crying mother and proud father. The only way she knew it was they was from the one photo of them that she was given when she was small. She cherished that photo as it was her only link to family. Julie still kept it in her Bible and would gaze upon it from time to time.

Next, came the funeral of her parents. Julie was but six at the time. She recognized the smell of roses and the hushed tones of the visitors, though there weren't many. Julie had long ago tried to forget that horrible time of her life and thought she had done so successfully. Now, all of her emotions were ripped raw as she relived the ordeal all over again.

"I don't want to see this," she cried, trying to cover her eyes.

"Ah, my dear," the old man said gently, "this is part of your life. You must not run away from it. It is part of your being and it is partly why I have come to you. Watch and learn."

Julie watched and cringed as her younger self tried to climb into her mother's casket. Cold, unfamiliar hands pulled her back as she reached and cried for her mother. Julie hugged herself as she relived the event. Why am I being shown this?

More events of her life was shown as she grew and became too old for most people to consider adopting her. She saw herself in orphanages and foster homes during Christmas and sometimes she was actually almost happy.

She was shown the time when she left her last foster home to set out on her own. College classes, dates, friends, and graduation were next. A graduation where there was no one to congratulate her, kiss her, or hold her.

Julie brushed tears aside as she was sitting on her couch once more. The old man stood in front of her as before.

"You have had some unfortunate times in your life, my child," he said softly, "but you are stronger because of it. You have much to give. So very much to give..." His voice trailed off.

He looked down at her and smiled. "We have more to see, little one. Take my hand and your journey will continue."

Julie's hand closed around the gleaming watch and soon, she was propelled back in time to when she started at MacGregor Financial Corporation. She saw herself working at her desk and chatting with friends. She relived dates and times when she was alone and not dating. She saw Christmases from just a few years before, spending them alone and reading in her loneliness.

Next, she was shown her time with Keith. Feelings of guilt and regret filled her, as did longing and love. The scene shifted to her bedroom where they made love many times. She was whimpering and crying his name softly as he plunged into her. She remembered those times fondly and was a bit embarrassed that the spirit was witnessing it, too.

"Do not worry, my dear," he laughed softly in the darkness. "I have seen many couples in the throes of passion. I was young once, also."

They were now above a young man as he sat at his desk writing in a book. He looked vaguely familiar to Julie from above, but she could not picture him. They came behind him and looked over his shoulder as he continued to write.

December 23

I talked to Julie today and I enjoyed it very much. She seemed sad as usual and I tried to joke with her, but she didn't seem amused. I wish I could get up the nerve to ask her out instead of just writing about it. I guess I just can't stand the thought of her rejecting me. It's easier just to be a friend, I think. She seems like she would be different, though. Somehow, I think she might say yes. Every time I think I could do it, my nerves get the best of me and it just doesn't happen. I would just become a stammering fool and where would I be then? Most assuredly, she would think of me as an idiot and never consider dating me. It's my own fault; always has been, I guess. She's just so pretty.Sometimes, I hate myself for being this way. I wish I could change.

The man laid down his pen and placed his hands behind his head sighing.

Julie looked at the old man and then to the man seated in front of her. "Who is he?" she asked no one in particular.

"Look and see, my dear," the old man said gently.

They moved around to the man's side and Julie smiled. "Tom," she sighed. "Now I know why you always joke with me."

"You see, my dear," the old man said, "there is someone who wants to know you, love you, and cherish you."

As the scene faded into darkness, Julie said, "Oh, do we have to go? I want to stay with him for a while longer."

"There is more to see," the spirit explained as the next scene came into view.

Julie next saw herself dressed in white in a chapel and exchanging vows with Tom. She looked radiant behind her veil and Tom was equally handsome in his black suit.

"Will this happen?" she asked.

The old man said nothing.

Perplexed, she continued to watch as they exchanged rings. He then pushed her veil over her head and kissed her when the ceremony ended.

"I have to know if this will happen," she pressed.

"There is more to see," he answered simply.

The scene shifted to a large hotel suite where they stood naked in front of each other. He took her to the bed and began to love her.

Julie watched the events unfold and could feel herself getting excited by watching them. She could almost feel his kisses, his caresses, and his murmurings of his undying love to her. Julie never felt so loved, so needed in all of her life.

Julie saw him lift her bottom and push himself into her and she shivered at the scenario being played in front of her. She could almost feel it inside her as she watched him push in and out many times. Julie watched herself cry out in delight as her spasms began underneath her love. She felt her own insides quiver from her own real desire.

The room faded all too soon as she found herself on her couch once more, the tall spirit standing in front of her as before.

"I need to know if it is true. I need to know if this will happen to me," Julie cried. "Please tell me!"

"I have only shown you what was, what is, and what could be. You have waited and waited for someone to love you and help you make the gift of life. I have shown you what could be..."

Chapter 4

Julie woke with a start and sat up abruptly. She looked all around and saw no one in her living room. The TV was still on as Jimmy Stewart and Donna Reed were kissing each other.

"Was I dreaming?" she asked aloud. "Oh my God," she exclaimed. Thoughts of Tom and herself making love brought chills to her. Julie reached inside her pajama bottoms and felt herself. She was freshly moist and her touch upon her sensitive little nub sent a wave of pleasure through her.

She then remembered the old man doing something with her Christmas tree when he arrived. Julie got up and examined her tree more closely. At the bottom of the tree, she saw an unfamiliar ornament. It was a simple red heart with an inscription etched in the middle.

"Look For Love Where You Least Expect To Find It,

Do Not Expect It To Find You."

Julie smiled as a tear escaped her eye.

Chapter 4

Julie barely slept that morning as time after time she awoke and stared at her alarm clock. When it finally became eight o'clock, she got out of bed and went to her briefcasewhere she had phone numbers of her workmates stored. She rarely used the file, but she needed it this morning.

Nervously, she dialed Tom's number. It rang five or six times before a sleepy voice answered. Julie's nerves almost gave out before she heard his voice on the other end.

"Hello?" Tom answered groggily, not fully comprehending that someone would be calling him this early on Christmas morning.

"Um, hi Tom," Julie began, "this is Julie....you know, from work." Julie crossed her fingers and bit her bottom lip.

"Julie?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Julie McPherson?" He couldn't believe she was calling him.

"Yes, Tom," she laughed lightly, "Julie McPherson."

Tom shook his head back and forth to try to clear his head. "This is a real surprise. I certainly wasn't expecting you to call. Wow," he exclaimed. He rubbed his temples hard to try and wake himself.

"I hope I didn't wake you," she said.

"Well, you did," he admitted, "but I was going to get up soon anyway."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Tom answered. "It's okay. What can I do for you?"He had no idea why she was calling him. She had never done so in the past. In fact, they had never spoken on the phone before.

"Well," she began, "I was wondering if you would like to have lunch with me at my house today."

Tom blanched on the other end, unable to say anything.

"Tom?"

"Um..."

"Are you okay?" Julie asked, smiling on the other end. She could sense his inner turmoil as her heart sang.

Tom swallowed hard and tried to regain his senses. He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Just days before, he had almost given up hope of ever being able to ask her out and now, she was inviting him to her house for Christmas lunch. Wasn't it strange how things worked out at times?

"I'm fine," he stammered, trying to buy some time.

"I'm glad you're okay," she teased. For the first time in a long while, she was genuinely happy. She waited for a few seconds without any word from him.

"Are you still with me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Julie," he replied quickly. "I was thinking of something." He hesitated for another second. "I'd really like to come over. It was nice of you to ask. What time?"

Julie's smile grew broader and broader on the other end.

Epilogue

The house was quiet that next Christmas Eve. Julie laid next to her husband and listened to his steady, even breathing. It comforted her. Their mixed breed, Max, was by the door and snoring softly. She looked over at Tom and smiled. They made love just hours before and his sperm still trickled down her inner thighs. Oh, how she loved this man! They had been married six months and she was happier each and every day. He was everything to her.

She sighed and thought about her other wish, a wish to be a mother. Although they had been trying for the last four months, nothing had happened and she was starting to worry. Adoption had crossed her mind, but she really wanted a child made by the love she shared with Tom. Maybe later down the road they could give a child an opportunity to have parents, an opportunity not afforded to her.

Julie looked out the bedroom window and marveled at the snow falling onto the frozen ground. A cleansing of the earth was in full force and she welcomed it.

A noise from the living room startled her. It was a very soft tinkling sound. Julie cocked her ear and listened. She was somewhat reassured that the security alarm didn't go off. Max remained asleep, as was Tom.

Pulling on a robe, she tiptoed quietly to the door and opened it slowly and carefully. Looking down the hall, she could make out a familiar shadowy figure dressed in green finery. As before, he was hanging something on the tree.

Julie smiled as she walked softly towards him. She was not dreaming this time.

"I see you've come back for a visit," she whispered.

"Ah, yes, my dear, one last visit," he answered in his lilting voice, his blue eyes blazing.

"One last visit?" she frowned.

"Yes," he admitted, "but I have brought you another gift."

"Are we going on another journey?" she asked.

"No, no. No journey is necessary this time. Come to me, my child."

Julie walked to him. The old man placed his hands on her head and closed his eyes. His white hair seemed longer and shinier since the last time he visited. Seconds later, he opened them and smiled.

"It was not necessary for me to come. You are already blessed."

Julie looked at him, perplexed. She didn't know his meaning.

Tony155
Tony155
1,222 Followers
12