Girl On A Train

Story Info
He meets a girl on a train.
4.2k words
4.6
46.5k
41
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Storm62
Storm62
354 Followers

Short (fairly!) and sweet older story not posted here before.


---

I had to take the train to the college for the short course I was taking for my work, no great hardship really; it gave me the chance to catch up on some reading. After a few days I realised that I was always travelling with the same people and struck up one or two conversations with a couple of them as we boarded. One person I didn't start talking to straight away was a pretty girl with blonde hair, glasses over alert blue eyes and a cute smile that I saw for the first time when she caught me looking at her. Hurriedly I went back to my book. I saw her again on the return trip. She got off one stop before me. I wondered if I should try to engineer sitting next to her the next day, but decided against it, I thought I'd see what happened.

As it was, the following day she got on the train and sat by me. She smiled her cute smile and said 'hi'. I greeted her in return, gulping down my surprise.

"I saw you looking at me yesterday and thought we could talk." She said.

"Sorry about yesterday, I didn't mean to stare."

"You didn't catch me staring back then?"

"No. No I didn't. Why would you be staring at me?"

"You reminded me of someone."

"Okay, now I'm hooked, who?"

"Are you the Duncan that used to date my sister?"

"Well, I am a Duncan so it depends on who your sister was."

"Yvonne, Yvonne Brooks."

"Vonnie!" I laughed at the memory of one of my old classmates. "I wouldn't say that I dated Vonnie; more like helped her with her homework. That would mean you are..." I searched my memory; I was a bit poor at remembering names. "Zoë?" I hazarded.

"Close enough. I'm Sophie. You helped me with my homework too."

"I did? I don't remember that. I do remember a twelve-year-old smarty-pants pretending she needed help though."

She laughed.

"Busted! I admit it; I had a bit of a crush on you then. I had to help Vonnie after she dumped you."

"Sorry not to recognise you, but you've filled out a bit since then." She gave me a bit of a look. "I mean you're older." Another look. "Pass me the shovel."

The cute grin was back.

"I know what you meant. It was nearly ten years ago."

"That would mean you're sixteen or seventeen now then?"

"Nice recovery!"

After that we sat and talked every day on the train, both ways. We talked about everything from films to music to books to childhood memories. As the weeks went on and I got closer to finishing my course I began to toy with the idea of asking her out for a drink or a meal, but kept putting it off. By now I had started the last week of my course and as we parted on the Monday, Sophie waving as she left the carriage, I determined that tomorrow was the day. Tuesday morning came but there was no sign of Sophie. I wondered what had happened to her, whether she had got a different train. She didn't appear for the rest of the week and by Friday I knew I'd missed my chance. I felt bad about it for weeks, wishing I'd at least asked for her phone number, but gradually pushed her to the back of my mind and got on with my life.

---

About seven years had passed since the train incident. I was sitting in the park with my camera, adjusting the white balance, getting my eye in after the winter by shooting some pictures of the wildlife on the lake. It was the first sunny and warm day of spring and there were a few more people in the park. I was scanning the water, zooming in and out on the ducks, when I caught sight of a child kneeling on the edge of one of the fishing stations jutting out into the water. As my lens passed over her she slipped into the water. At the splash I heard a woman cry 'FIONA!'. Immediately my jacket and trainers were off and I jumped into the cold water, striking out towards the struggling toddler. Within moments I had my arm around the scared youngster, holding her head above the water. After a few reassuring words she relaxed and I gently made my way to the shore. My feet found solid ground as the child's mother waded in alongside me and picked her daughter out of my grasp. They were hugging as I pulled myself from the water, the little girl starting to cry.

"Sshh, Fiona. You're safe now."

"But I lost my dolly mommy." Fiona was rubbing her eyes.

Her mother had had her face buried in her daughters hug until this point.

"Don't worry about that sweetie, we can get a new one, but I can't replace you." She stood, picking up the child. "Thank you." She said before looking over to me. "Duncan!"

"Sophie!"

"You're soaked. Let me take you to our apartment and get you dry."

"You don't have to do that. I can walk home."

"You jumped into the lake to save Fiona, it's the least I can do." She smiled her cute smile and I gave in.

"All right, I'll just get my stuff." I mumbled a bit. Sophie wrapped her coat around the little girl and followed me to the bench. My camera and the other things were still there.

---

I squelched into Sophie's bathroom.

"Take off your wet things and I'll wash and dry them for you." She called out.

"What shall I wear?"

"Put on the bathrobe that's hanging on the door, fool."

I came out holding my clothes. She took them from me and dropped them into the washer.

"Won't that take some time?" I asked a little self-conscious, only wearing what was obviously a woman's flimsy bathrobe.

"About an hour, and then nearly another hour to dry them. Why? In a hurry?"

"I just don't want your husband to come home and find me nearly naked with his wife."

She giggled.

"Won't happen. Not married."

"Oh."

"Fiona's dad died before she was born, before we got married."

"I...I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"How could you have?" She bustled out of the kitchen, but not before I saw a tear in her eye. "There's coffee on the shelf, the kettle has just boiled. I just need to check on Fi." She called out as she went down the hallway.

I'd made a mug of coffee and drunk half of it before Sophie came back. Her eyes looked a bit red, as if she'd been crying.

"How is Fiona?" I asked quietly.

"She's a bit shook up, but she's sleeping for now." She grinned. "Fi seems more worried about losing her dolly than falling into the water."

"Could you tell me about her dad?"

"We met and fell in love not long after I broke my hand." She paused. "That was when I missed your last week on the train?"

"I often wondered what happened to you. I was one day from asking you out. My own fault." I held my hand up as she started to say something. "I kept putting it off until it was too late. Anyway, what happened? With Fiona's dad?"

"Oh! Well, we dated for a few months. Then I found out about Fi coming and he was so happy he ran out to get a ring, to start making arrangements. He stepped under a bus." Tears sprang to her eyes again. I hugged her, letting her cry into my shoulder.

"I'm really sorry. I'm sure he would have been a wonderful parent."

"Yes." Sophie sniffed. "Yes, he would have."

"As it is, you haven't done too bad by yourself. Fiona seems perfectly well balanced and quite smart for her age."

"She's too clever by half and much too independent. That's how she fell in the lake, thinking she could reach her doll." Sophie sighed. "It also means I keep falling into the trap of not watching her all the time."

"I wasn't accusing you."

"I know, but I still feel guilty about being lulled into a false sense of security."

We sat and talked until my clothes were ready. Sophie wanted to iron them too, but I told her not to worry. As I was leaving I asked if I could come round again, to talk some more maybe? Sophie nodded yes and gave me her number so I could ring ahead.

"And it's only taken me seven years to get it." I said, holding up the number and grinning.

Sophie grinned back.

"You only had to ask back then too."

---

Something had happened in the half an hour since I'd rung Sophie. She looked flustered when I rang the doorbell, a carrier bag in my hand.

"What's the matter?" I asked

"Oh Duncan, I'm sorry. I've got to go out, an emergency job came up."

"A job?"

"Yes. I do some freelance accounting. People call me when they need help with some audit or other. But I can't get hold of my usual sitter for Fiona."

"Could I do it for you?"

"Baby-sit? Fiona?"

"Yeah, why not? We get on all right."

She considered it for a moment, and then made up her mind.

"Okay. There's a list of rules in the front room. She knows she must stick to them, so you should be all right. Call me if there's a problem." She picked up her coat and briefcase, and called over her shoulder as she left. "Fiona, Duncan is going to look after you. Don't torment him. I'll see you in the morning."

"Okay mom." Fiona called out. Sophie paused, pushed her glasses up, and then gave me a smile. With that she was gone. I slipped off my coat and went to find the little girl. She was sat in front of the TV playing a video game.

"Hello Fiona, how are you now?"

"I'm fine Uncle Duncan." She replied, without looking up from the screen.

"That looks fun, can I have a go? And I wish you wouldn't call me Uncle." I asked, putting down the carrier bag. She paused the game and then looked around at me.

"You want to play against me?"

"Why not?"

"Well, I practise a lot on my own, and you've never seen it before."

"I think I'll get the gist of it. It won't be the first time I've played a video game Fi."

"You don't know what you're letting yourself in for Un... Duncan."

I smiled and sat beside her, taking the second controller.

"The girl character's moves are easier to pull off." She suggested as she switched the game to two player mode.

After over an hour my thumbs were getting numb.

"I concede Fiona, I'm starting to hurt."

"You're just getting the hang of it Duncan."

"I've beaten you once, smarty-pants." She giggled. "And I think it's about time I checked the list your Mom was on about."

"Oh dear."

"Oh dear? What's on the list that I should know about?"

"I'll leave it to you to find out while I put this away." She hurriedly began to put the games console away. Amused, I went to find the list. I found it on the coffee table. Number 1 on the list was 'Don't let her play games for more than half an hour.'

"Well I won't tell if you don't Fi." I called out over my shoulder.

"Thank you." She almost sang. "I think I'd better get ready for bed now."

"That's what it says here. 'Wash, brush teeth, and bed.' Call me when you're ready."

"Okay Unc... Duncan."

It didn't take her long to call.

"That was quick. I think I'd better check. Hands." She showed me her hands. "Teeth." She showed me her teeth. "Hmm. Seems all right." I reached into the carrier I'd brought with me and pulled out the replacement doll I'd bought her. "This is for you, for the one you lost."

"Un... Duncan, you didn't need to do that. Mommy got me a new one too."

"Oh, sorry. I can take it away if you like?"

"Don't please." Fiona hugged the dolly.

"Go to bed Fiona, before your Mom gets back, and I get into trouble." I laughed. She smiled and ran into her bedroom. Just in time as it happened. I heard the key in the lock of the front door and quickly sat down as if that's where I'd been all the time. Sophie came in, putting down her coat and case. "That was quick."

"Wasn't as big a problem as they thought they had. Any trouble with Fi?"

"Might have helped if I'd read the note first."

Sophie laid her hand on the still warm console.

"So I see." She frowned a little.

"It wasn't Fiona's fault. I challenged her and we lost track of the time." I said, more than a little sheepishly.

She smirked.

"If you want to take the blame, I'll let you." She moved towards the kitchen and saw the now empty bag. "What did you bring her? A new dolly?"

"How did you know that?"

"Let's just say I'm getting an idea of how you think Duncan. Coffee?" I nodded and followed her to the kitchen. Sophie looked as beautiful as ever, even just making coffee. I leant against a cupboard and watched her. "What are you staring at?" She suddenly asked.

"Sorry, I was just thinking how awesome you looked."

"What are you talking about? I look a mess." She said, flustered. She ran her hand through her hair, putting a few stray strands back in place.

"I've always liked how you looked, even when you were a clever-clogs twelve year old, though I couldn't say so then. And I blew my chance to say so back on the train, so I'm saying it now."

Sophie turned around.

"Don't say things like that unless you mean them Duncan."

"But I do mean them Sophie, I've just never said so before. I can be a bit slow at times, especially with pretty women."

"Duncan..."

"Can I kiss you?"

"I... I think I'd like that."

I pulled her towards me and our lips met. The kettle boiled, but neither of us was interested.

---

I saw a lot of Sophie and Fiona over the summer. Two or three days a week I went round and saw them, played games with Fiona, baby-sat a few times or just drank coffee with Sophie. More than once we all went out together at the weekend, to some event or even just visiting the park. I was falling deeply in love with Sophie, and Fiona fascinated me. For such a young child, she was amazingly self-sufficient and confidant. She made me think I would have liked to have met her father, I'm sure we would have got on well, apart from the fact I was in love with his wife.

---

The days began to get shorter and Sophie's birthday was coming up. Fiona and I hatched a cunning plan. I knew I could trust the little girl and between us we organised a special surprise for her mother. She phoned her Aunt Yvonne and asked if she could come and baby-sit while I had made reservations at a swanky restaurant. I collected Vonnie that evening and drove to Sophie's. Vonnie and I had become reacquainted again throughout the summer with no regrets. I rang Sophie's bell.

"Hello Duncan, you normally ring first."

"Not tonight I'm afraid. Grab your coat, we're going out."

"What about Fi?"

"Covered." I said, stepping to one side and letting Vonnie in. "Miss Fiona has asked her Aunt over to look after her. So, no excuses, I'm treating you tonight."

"But... But I look a mess."

"Oh sis, you worry too much." Vonnie stepped inside the door and hugged her younger sister. "Now get going. I'm sure Fi can find something we can do."

"In here Auntie Von, I've put your favourite game on."

"See. Now go and enjoy yourself for once. Mom says."

"I see." Sophie looked at us. "I'm the victim of a conspiracy am I?"

"Yes." I said, kissing her on the cheek. "Now hurry up or we'll miss our reservations."

---

I suppose the success of that little plan made me think I could surprise Sophie in a special way. I was wrong as it turned out, I didn't have Fiona's sneaky inside knowledge I suppose. Anyway, I went too far. I thought it would be a good idea to get two engagement rings; one each for Sophie and Fiona. After all they came as a pair and I had definitely fallen head over heals in love with Sophie AND Fiona. I made my plans; I would just need to find out both their ring sizes. Not easy, but possible. My intention was to wait until just after Christmas, invite them to the car show, and then spring my surprise on them. It seemed to be a good idea, but things soon began to go wrong. Sophie caught me looking at her jewellery and I had to be evasive. I managed to avoid an outright lie, but she was suspicious something was happening. Somehow I managed to get the approximate sizes and bought the two rings. I carried them with me all the time, paranoid that one of the girls would find them if I didn't. Initially I kept the receipt with me as well, but I mislaid it somewhere. And then came the argument...

---

It was the week before Christmas and Fiona was staying at her granny's overnight. Sophie wanted to talk to me about something, but wouldn't say what. I rang the bell and she answered the door. She seemed upset, her eyes reddened beneath her glasses. Cheerfully I asked what was wrong. A mistake as it turned out. Sophie turned her back on me and stalked into the front room. I followed, wondering what the matter was.

"Sophie, what's happened? Fiona is all right isn't she?"

"There's nothing wrong with my daughter, thank you." She turned around; her face was as black as thunder. "I found out your secret. I thought you were different, Duncan. Not like most of the men I've dated since Fi was born. I thought you cared for me, and for her."

"But... but I do care." I managed to stammer out. "I care about both of you."

"Well you have a funny way of showing it. Go away and don't come back. I never want to see you again." The anger was pouring out of her, and I was helpless before it. I could see she was so angry that I wouldn't be able to reason with her, so I turned away and left, thinking I could phone her in a couple of days and find out what the problem was.

---

That was the worst thing I could have done, she wouldn't take my calls and I thought it would be stupid to go around and confront her. I just had to hope that she would call me and tell me what was wrong, but she didn't. I was desolate. Somehow, my own stupidity or insensitivity had caused this, of that I was sure, but exactly what she had 'found out' escaped me. I kept hoping in the days before Christmas but I had no contact with my bespectacled beauty. I couldn't even give Fiona the new video game I'd bought her. It was the worst Christmas holiday I'd ever spent.

---

The second week in January and I was on the train again. My car was in dock for repairs, the train was the next best way to get to the car show. It had been a good show, but it hadn't taken my mind off Sophie. I still couldn't work out what I had done wrong, why she had told me to leave. I slumped into my seat and tried to look through my photos, but my heart wasn't in it. I had wanted to take Sophie and Fiona, to give them the rings that I still carried with me. That seemed impossible now though. The train stopped at the next station and I heard people getting on and off. I thought I heard a tap at the window, but when I looked there was no-one there. As we pulled off, I looked down at my camera again. After a minute or so I sensed someone standing next to me. I looked up.

"Hello Uncle Duncan. Sorry, Duncan." Fiona was stood next to me.

"Fiona! What are you doing here?"

"Mommy took me to the city to spend my Christmas money. We're going home now. I thought I saw you when we got on and came to check."

"You shouldn't have. And you definitely shouldn't wander around on your own."

"But I wanted to see you. I miss you Unc... Duncan. Mommy does too; I hear her crying at night."

"I doubt that's because she misses me princess. I upset her somehow, but I don't know how." I was torn by indecision. I knew I had to take Fiona back to her mom, but I didn't know what reception I'd get. Sighing, I stood and took the little girls hand. "Come on, I'd better get you back to Sophie before she goes frantic."

She led me back down the carriage. Sophie was reading a magazine and hadn't realised Fi had slipped away to look for me.

"Sophie? I believe this belongs to you." I held up Fiona's hand and attempted to let go. She held onto me.

"Fiona! What have you been up to?"

"I told you I saw him mommy, so I went to check."

"You little minx, you could have got into all sorts of trouble. What if hadn't been Duncan? You could have been hurt or something worse."

"But it was and nothing happened." Fiona's eyes were watering.

"Go easy on her Sophie." I said quietly. "She knows she did wrong now, just leave it at that. Whatever I did to upset you, don't take it out on her."

Sophie looked up at me, tears forming in her eyes too.

Storm62
Storm62
354 Followers
12