Goes Without Saying Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"It's just she says these things," Celia pouted. "They get my back up and I find myself in an argument. I don't want to do it, and I know when it's happened, but then it's too late."

"If you don't rise to it, there can't be an argument can there? So you need a reminder before you fly off the handle," he said patiently.

"Ok, clever clogs," she retorted. "What's your wonderful solution?"

"See," David said. "You're getting worked up and she isn't even here!"

Celia deflated. "Sorry," she said penitently.

"How about if I say your name when you're getting worked up? Then all you have to do is stop. You don't have to win the argument with her."

Which is what happened. Celia stopped in mid flow, and a minor miracle happened in the intervening silence.

"Well, perhaps you're right," said her mother. "Darling, I had hopes for you with David here, and you broke up. I was so relieved when you found someone else, and he was handsome and wealthy, and seemed to be in love with you... I just longed for you to be settled with a nice man as you had been with David."

"But you didn't approve of David!" Celia countered.

"I didn't approve of you living in sin!" her mother said primly. "But now everyone's doing it. Some people never get married at all. They have children as well!"

"You just wanted Grandchildren! That's what it was! And you didn't think you'd get any while I was unmarried." Celia said it triumphantly, eliciting another 'Celia!' from David. She relaxed and realised how tense she'd become again. Then she was surprised: her mother agreed with her!

"You're right," said her mother. "It would be nice."

"Well, when we marry you immediately acquire two instant grandchildren," said David with a smile. "And we fully intend to add some more!"

Lynda Thompson smiled. "I always knew you were the right one for her," she said. "I like your thinking!"

"Mother-"

"Celia," said David immediately and gently, and Celia relaxed again and laughed. Lynda looked puzzled.

"There's hope for you two yet," David laughed.

-

Celia lectured her mother, and the other interested female parties on her views about her wedding.

"Weddings are just that, ceremonies," she said. "They're not world changing. It doesn't matter how many or few bridesmaids the bride has, or how she is dressed, or half-dressed for that matter. It doesn't matter really what music is employed, whether it is played on an organ, by a jazz band, or if there is no music at all.

"So chill out girls, all these frantic preparations and all the stress you're showing are unnecessary. As long as I get to make the vows, nothing else is important enough to get knickers twisted."

Of course they took no notice. The women knew it had to be perfect, so there was stress, and the preparations were often frantic. Celia sighed, smiled through gritted teeth, and put up with their well intentioned worrying.

Celia wanted a Church wedding. "It's not the setting, how beautiful the church is," she told David. "I believe in God and I want God to witness what I'm going to promise you. And I mean to honour those vows all my life. For me it's a real commitment and there'll be no going back for me, no matter what might happen. And I want the simple church vows, not some flowery protestation of love."

"So no divorce? No separation?" asked David with a grin, to show her there was no possibility of either in his case.

"Exactly!" Celia laughed. "I ran away once, but this time there's no escape for me, even if you run."

"No escape for me either," David asserted. It seemed a good moment to seal the conversation with a kiss. So they did. Kiss, that is. And marry, they did that too.

So, in church, they vowed to take each other for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, until death parted them. Neither took those vows lightly.

When the newly married couple were leaving for the reception, everyone gathered ready for Celia to throw her bouquet in the air - Celia had caught it at Gwen's wedding - but it didn't happen this time. She explained why in a little speech she gave later at the reception.

She had arranged a detour with the limousine driver.

"Where are we going?" asked David. "This isn't the way to the Hotel."

"There's someone I have to visit on the way," she said enigmatically. David shrugged, on that day she could have anything she wanted.

It soon became clear. They drove to the cemetery, and the couple, she in her long white dress, and he in his suit walked arm-in-arm along the path and stopped at Gwen's grave, where Celia laid her wedding bouquet on the gravestone.

"Gwen," she said. "I solemnly promise you that I will love and look after your man, and love and look after your two babies for the rest of my life. You are my best friend and I'll not let you down. Thank you for sharing him with me."

She turned to David, who had tears streaming down his face.

She came into his arms. "I didn't mean to upset you."

"No," he sniffed. "That's a wonderful thing you've done."

"She deserved you far more than I ever did or do," Celia said. "I've got so much to live up to," and she kissed him.

And that is what she told the wedding reception.

-

Eight Years On

Once again it was the 17th April, Beth's birthday and Gwen's anniversary. The family made their way to the grave and Celia watched as Evan, now eleven, and Beth, eight, arranged the flowers they had brought, in the vases. They were followed by Tom and little Jane who had brought their own flowers.

Then David added his offering, kissing the marble grave stone. "Love you darling!" and Celia did the same.

The family kept had kept faith with Gwen, visiting her grave on her birthday and her anniversary. Celia and David had decided that Gwen's children would never forget their mother. Even though Beth had no direct memory of her at all, she knew what her mother looked like from the photos and heard the stories rehearsed. As soon as they were old enough, Tom and then Jane, Celia and David's two children, wanted to take part in the little ceremony as well.

"She won't be forgotten," whispered Celia to David, as they walked back to the car. "As long as our children live, she will be remembered, and her story will be told."

"Park now, Daddy?" asked little Jane. When the weather was fine, they would go to the park for ice creams and the playground, followed later by Beth's birthday party.

"Yes, my sweetheart. Park now." he said, and Celia and the other children smiled at the tot. The past now lovingly remembered, their future beckoned.

END