Going Rogue Ch. 02

Story Info
Continuing the investigation.
9.1k words
4.78
11.7k
4

Part 2 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/01/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

*****

Part 6 - Power of the Mind

"This is Amber Harris, KXTC Channel Two News!" said the lovely athletic blonde reporterette from the anchor desk of KXTC at 10:00pm, still Monday, October 5th. "Tonight we have a special report on the dog killings that are terrifying the County tonight. Our Senior Managing Editor, Bettina Wurtzburg, is here with a special report. Bettina?"

"Thank you, Amber." said Bettina. She was sitting next to Amber at the anchor desk, and the camera began zooming onto her older but still very attractive face as she spoke: "Channel Two News has learned that six dogs have been killed in separate parts of Town. Four dogs were killed in a neighborhood in the Southwest of Town, while two other pets were killed in a neighborhood north of Town."

The camera showed the fourth dog lying dead in the backyard of the unoccupied house. My investigation of that crime had shown that the dog had dropped dead on the spot where he'd been shot. And unlike the other three dogs, this one was emaciated, as if he hadn't eaten well for a considerable time.

Bettina continued: "I spoke with Police Commander Donald Troy this morning." The TV screen showed snippets of my interview with Bettina, and I was glad to see that they showed the parts where I asked Citizens to keep their dogs watched and indoors as much as possible.

Bettina added to it by saying "Tonight the Police continue to urge citizens to keep their pets indoors or in closed and locked garages as much as possible, and to also call the police hotline if they see any suspicious activity." The screen showed a number, which was actually to the Headquarters Duty Desk, where an extra Officer was stationed to handle calls.

Bettina added: "Sheriff Daniel Allgood has asked that Citizens also be on the lookout for someone who might be impersonating a police officer. Real police officers will be properly attired, wearing their badges and name tags, and will have identification they will willingly show you. Also, if you see a Police car that does not look like the real TCPD Police Cars or the University's Campus Police cars..." the video showed what our real cars looked like, "then please call the hotline. The Police are asking for your help to solve these horrible dog killings, and a reward is being authorized for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of the criminals involved in these crimes."

"Think that'll help?" Laura asked me as we watched the evening news together. I was holding a sleeping baby Jim. Carole was in her crib upstairs, also sleeping, and I need not mention that my own dog Bowser was in his basket under my daughter's crib.

"I hope so." I said. "If people are aware, and keep their dogs safe, maybe we won't have any more killings."

I then said "I talked to Bonnie Karpathian today, too. About serial dog killers and what it means. She said that children hurting animals is a warning sign they may grow up to be serial killers of humans. She's going to look into our data and see if anything pops out that will help us."

"Good." Laura asked, seeing that I was distracted. "By the way, did you find out any more about that State Crime Lab?"

"Yeah. I called Tom Conlan." Conlan was the Deputy Director of the SBI, and Director of the SBI Reserve Corps. "He looked into it and called me back. I've heard of this happening before with the U.S. Congress, and asked him to see if it had happened: sometimes a bill is passed by the Legislature, but aides will actually add stuff in or change wording before the bill goes to the Governor's desk for signature."

"Can they do that?" Laura asked.

"They shouldn't be able to," I said, "but unless we can prove they changed it, we have no basis to challenge it in Court... and what the Governor signed is what the law is today. Apparently someone stuck it in the bill to add the University, or at least that property just north where the construction is happening, to the list of possible places. Originally, the Legislature only passed the Madison County location, or an upgrade to the current facilities in Midtown and Eastphalia. The whole paragraph was changed."

"Oh, wow." said Laura. "Did Jack Lewis know about this?"

"He had to have known." I said. "He had to approve it. Theoretically the Governor had a say-so, but apparently the State Attorney General, who oversees the SBI, agreed with Lewis on the University spot, and just told the Governor that it was decided. Chief Griswold talked to the Governor this afternoon, and the Governor is not amused and feels tricked. He's probably going to ask for the State AG's resignation, but that won't stop the construction; it's underway."

"Wow." said Laura. "That's really bad. What will it mean for the County's Crime Lab?"

"I am fortunate to have foreseen that there might be efforts to undermine our Crime Lab." I said. "By bringing in the Arson Labs and consolidating with the Public Health Department, our Crime Lab will still get funded. We will continue to serve Nextdoor County and Coltrane County by fiat of the contracts we have with them. But I've heard that the State Legislature might move to make those contracts null and void, and require the State Crime Lab to be used by them if they don't have their own facilities."

"Getting uglier by the minute." Laura said. "And don't ask Dr. Wellman for help: he says the University is going to get money so their Criminal Justice majors can intern at the State Crime Lab. Basically, the University Crime Lab is going to be shut down, and we'll be dependent on the local State Crime Lab."

"In other words, and in politically incorrect and offensive language," I said, "Dr. Wellman is being paid off by money flowing in to his University." I said.

"Not much gets by you, darling." Laura said, a bit sarcastically though meant to be humorous.

"I try." I replied. "Anyway, it's pretty obvious that this thing has been in planning for a long time. The money was allocated last Spring. What I just don't understand why they didn't start on it until just now."

"Is that what has you lost in thought tonight?" Laura asked.

"That's some of it." I said. "The dog cases are bothering me, too."

"I thought Cindy's response tonight was interesting." said my wife.

Cindy and her fiancée Jenna Stiles had come to supper with us. Carole had been delighted to see Cindy, and they had talked and played. Bowser usually just sits back and watches over Carole, but on this night Cindy called Bowser to come up on the sofa with them, and Bowser agreeably hopped right up next to them.

"Bowser is a good dog." Carole said, quoting her dad, as she softly petted Bowser. I observed that Cindy was also petting Bowser with a little extra love. Cindy would later look at me and say "How can anyone want to harm good dogs like this?"

"I don't know." I said. "And God have mercy on whoever is doing this..." I then went into a reverie, not realizing that Cindy had some things on her mind, as well...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After getting off duty earlier that day, Cindy had changed to civilian clothes. She drove back to the River Valley neighborhood and to the home of Mrs. Veasley. The woman's words about Cindy's father had rattled her earlier, and she wanted to have another conversation.

Her ring of the doorbell was answered by an elderly lady. Cindy was shocked at the woman's presence, but the woman was not surprised at all. "Come in, my dear." she said in her scratchy voice, a shawl over her head.

Cindy came into the living room, seeing Mrs. Veasley sitting next to a lamp. The drapes had been drawn shut in front of the large window, securing the room from any prying eyes outside. Cindy then noticed three place settings at the table in the dining room.

"Yes," said Mrs. Veasley, noticing Cindy's glance, "the Widow Jones told me that you would be joining us for dinner, and here you are."

"I..." gasped Cindy, "I'm having dinner with my boss and his wife tonight. I'm afraid I can't stay."

"Ah," said the Widow Athena Jones, "we're not going to be having too much. Consider this an appetizer for your dinner with Commander Troy."

"So," said Mrs. Veasley as she drove her wheelchair to the dining room, "you have come for answers about your father, and my knowledge of them."

"And they've been answered." Cindy said, looking at the Widow Jones.

"Yes, Child." said Mrs. Veasley. "Mrs. Jones was kind enough to tell me of your discovery of your relationship with Dr. Eckhart. I had the privilege of studying with him a number of years ago. His meditation techniques are so powerful; I can feel the energy coming into my mind. You also have that energy, Child, if you will only harness it, use it."

"My father is teaching me." Cindy said as she sat down at the table, practically forced by the Widow Athena Jones, who then served the light meals before sitting down herself. Cindy then said "But what I came to ask was about this dog case. It is clear to me that you are not only very observant, Mrs. Veasley, but you weren't just idly sitting in front of the window. You expected to see something, ma'am."

"Ah, your insight serves you well." said Mrs. Veasley. "I did go to the window, feeling that something was not quite right. And that is when I saw what I reported earlier. I could feel that something wrong, something sinister was happening, and that great Evil was in our midst."

"Yes, Evil indeed." said the Widow Athena Jones. "What did you observe about these two dog killings, my dear?" The question was to Cindy.

"The one in the empty house has me baffled. That dog looked malnourished. If he'd been there a long time with no one to feed him, why didn't other neighbors call for Animal Control to come and get him?"

"Are you sure he was always there?" asked Widow Jones, looking at Cindy. Cindy peered back, the gears in her mind trying to turn.

"And I will offer another question." said Mrs. Veasley. "Did your Commander not ask Mrs. White exactly why her dog was targeted?"

"He did not ask her while I was present." Cindy said. "But we did tell her, and her husband later, to be sure to lock all the doors, and the Commander suggested he keep his gun nearby and ready, that killing the dog may be a precursor to a home invasion attempt."

"Wise advice." said the Widow Jones.

"True," said Cindy, trying to think, "but it does not explain the second dog shooting down the road, at a totally empty house which could easily be burgled without the canine theatrics, and with nothing to gain except maybe the copper wiring and the thermostat controls and such stuff."

"And as you think of that and talk with the Commander," said Athena Jones, "perhaps the answers will come to you..."

Part 7 - Puzzle Pieces

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" shouted the lovely reporterette at 7:00am, Tuesday, October 6th. "Channel Two News has learned that there were no reports of any dogs being killed last night. However, the hotline has been called with several tips of suspicious activity, which Commander Donald Troy says the Police are investigating. Commander Troy has also asked KXTC to pass along his thanks to you, the Citizens, for your alertness and your help in solving the dog murders, and in helping to prevent future killings."

"In other news," said Bettina, "reports are coming out of Midtown that the SBI legislation passed last Winter did not have funding authorization for the State Crime Lab being built next to the University Campus, but that Legislature aides slipped it in before the Governor signed the bill. Governor Jared has ordered an investigation, but he admits that nothing can be done now to overturn it. Governor Jared has also asked for the resignation of his State Attorney General over the matter, but it is not known if the A.G. will comply."

"Where is the Commander?" asked Martin Nash, looking around the room as they watched the broadcast and drank coffee.

"In his office." said Lt. Tanya Perlman. "The Duty Desk told me he rolled in here at three o'clock in the morning, and he went by all the Precinct Duty Desks before coming here. The third shifts got some shock treatment, but I didn't hear of anyone getting a Crowbar beatdown."

"Should've been in the gym this morning." said Captain Cindy Ross as she came into the room. "I got one. I was on the defensive all morning in our workout battle in the ring. He really let off some steam. I think he's really pissed about dogs getting killed. He loves dogs."

"As Bryan Thatcher found out, the hard way." said Martin Nash. Seeing everyone staring at him, he said "Oh come on, it's in the past and nobody will ever prove a thing."

"No, no they won't." said Tanya. "So let's say no more about it."

"I for one am very glad Bryan Thatcher is dead." said Joanne Cummings. Part of the shock was the venom in the pretty young woman's voice, considering that she was very Christian. But Joanne had been at the scene of retired Police Dog Laika's death, and she was not in a forgiving mood over that.

"Changing the subject," Tanya said, a bit more forcefully, "here's the question I have: why is Commander Troy the spokesman for the Police Force again? It's like the time he was Acting Chief. Shouldn't Chief Bennett be on the cameras over all this?"

"That is a good observation." said Cindy, sitting down in a chair and sipping her coffee. "I'll tell you guys this, but keep it under your hats: Jenna says there are rampant rumors in the D.A.'s office, City Hall, and the Courthouse that Chief Bennett may be looking to leave."

There were gasps in the room. "Why would he do that?" asked Theo Washington.

"I have no idea." said Cindy. "And Jenna didn't know what job he would be taking. And folks, it's just a rumor..."

"That's right." said a voice behind them. Strolling into the room was Your Iron Crowbar, ready to fill my mug with that Elixir of Life, coffee. As I poured my cup full, I said "And you should never believe rumors... unless *I* tell them to you, of course."

Laughter erupted as I pulled up a chair and sat down. "I'll just point out this one thing." I said. "This State Crime Lab was authorized last Spring. Yet there was no construction in May... June... July... August..." After a pause, I said "Now why do you suppose that is?"

"Sir," said Tanya, "I don't know why not until now, but wouldn't they have to start before January 1st? The State Constitution requires allocated spending like that has to happen before the calendar year is out, or it would have to be re-authorized next year."

"That's true. And good information, there, Tanya." I said, praising her. "So, they could've just not started the project. But they choose to now. Now why is that?"

Joanne Cummings astutely asked "Commander, are you suggesting there is a correlation between that construction beginning, and the rumors of the Chief leaving?"

"Who me? Would I ever suggest something like that?" I asked with very much mock shock in my voice. "And I can't correlate my daughter's feeding times, much less anything else."

"Yeah, try telling the Silverfish that." said Martin Nash, his voice deadpan flat. A clamor of agreement rose up at the memory of my correlation of the Silverfish's bank heists to the late Reverend Jonas Oldeeds' speaking tours.

"So there is a correlation." said Cindy, her voice a very hopeful whisper.

"Time will tell." I said. "Time will tell. By the way, everyone, the reports of the Animal Control Department's autopsies of the dogs are in your email inboxes, having been forwarded there by Yours Truly. I commend them to your reading attention. Especially yours, Captain Ross. Especially yours..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 7:30am, the Police Commander's Special Assistant for Data and Technology, Master Technician Mary Mahoney Milton, came into Classroom 'E', where I was waiting. I called Cindy and told her to get Myron Milton and Theo Washington, and for all of them to join us in the classroom.

As we waited, I said "You're looking very good today, Mary. Very Goth." Mary had black leather pants, boots and jacket on. The shirt under her jacket was also black, and her hair was combed straight back, with Emo eyes and heavy lipstick. "What's the occasion?"

"A celebration, sir." said Mary. "Of good times to come. By the way, sir, you're looking pretty good yourself. I observe and deduce that your wife got a good pickle tickle last night." I laughed out loud at that one.

"As did you, judging from Myron's look." I said. Myron had just appeared at the door. Mary smiled at me and winked. A moment later, Cindy and Theo joined us.

"Okay, Mary," I said, "you were looking into the families whose dogs were killed. Any correlations?"

"Not that I can tell, sir." said Mary. "I also checked back on previous owners of the empty house. The man who lived there was a factory manager at BigPharmaCorp. He got a promotion two months ago, but at their plant in Colorado. BigPharmaCorp bought his house from him to facilitate his move, which is standard for them for executives. They haven't sold it yet, and just had it listed with a real estate agent a few days ago."

"Who was that agent?"

"Leanne Quinlin Gonzales." said Mary. "Daughter of the Fire Chief."

"Yes, I know her; she was the agent for the folks that sold me The Cabin, to my eternal gratitude." I said. "So the house was empty. From all of the reports filed, including those of the Crime Lab and Animal Control, and from my own observations, I would say that the dog was brought into the location only recently. Would you agree, Captain Ross?"

"Yes sir, but perhaps you should elaborate for the others." Cindy replied.

"Certainly." I said. "First, there were no dog droppings anywhere in the backyard. I know from watching my own dog that dogs have a certain area for using the potty, and they go there. There was none of that in that enclosed yard. Second, if that dog was not fed and watered, he'd be dead in a few days, not several weeks going on months. Third, no one heard any barking or other noises from that house in the last two months. Ergo, he was brought in, and then shot."

"But why do that?" asked Mary, peering at me with fascination.

"To answer that, let's look at the other northside dog killing." I said. "At the Whites. Now in a total vacuum, I'd think that dog killing was someone who intended to break into that house. Taking out the first line of defense, the dog, would be the expected first step... except that in such cases dogs are usually poisoned instead of being shot, to make it seem more natural or at least less sinister, to keep the owners from being more on guard."

"True enough." said Cindy. "But the other house is empty; therefore, no need to kill the dog. And now you're saying that the dog wasn't there very long to begin with."

"Yes." I said. "That dog was brought into the location. And that leads up to what I asked you to do, Myron: canvas back several days of camera coverage, if you could. Did you find anything?"

"No sir." said Myron. "Tapes had been overwritten, as there was nothing special going on before the dog killings. I had video from about 24 to 36 hours prior, but there was nothing unusual, and no police cars in the neighborhood at all."