Going Rogue Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Get out of my office!" snarled Brownlee. "I'll give my people orders any way I see fit."

"Captain Harlow," said Cindy, "Commander Brownlee cannot bring you up on disciplinary charges because you're a Captain. It'll have to go through the Chief, and then the Sheriff. And you're right, Della, Commander Troy in in command of the Officers, not this paper-pusher."

Brownlee's face was almost purple with rage, giving Ross time to escort Harlow out of the office and down the hall to the Commander's office...

Part 9 - Putting It All On The Line

"Ladies and Gentlemen, the Police Commander!"

It was Lt. Wes Masters that had called the Force to attention as I walked in the door of the auditorium to the side of the stage. Nearly two hundred officers came to attention as I strode onto the stage and came to a stop behind the lectern. Only the Chief, Deputy Chief, and a few Officers that had been excused for personal reasons or vacation were not present.

"Take your seats." I said into the microphone. I then clipped a smaller microphone to my shirt collar so that I could move around and my voice still be clearly heard. The Force sat down and I looked down the long hallway at the rows of Officers.

"Ladies and gentlemen," I said, "I have called this briefing because of the situation of the killing of dogs in this County, but more to address this Police Force's policy on dealing with dogs."

The room was utterly silent but for the echo of my voice as I continued: "We have a situation where someone is impersonating a Police Officer, at least I hope it's just someone impersonating an Officer, and that perp is killing dogs all over Town. One of these killings was done in front of a child. Not only do we need to work to solve this case and find out who did this, we need to make sure we are following policy in doing it.

"Now if there is a rogue Officer going around killing dogs, I need to know about it. This is not about 'circling the wagons' because we're all Boys in Blue: when a police officer goes bad and does really bad things, it stains all of us. So if there is someone out there who is hurting our Police Force by committing these filthy crimes, do the right thing. You can call the hotline and be anonymous, if you feel you have to, but do it for the Force and the good guys you work with and have your back every day."

I paused, then said "Okay, I am not worried about you in that regard, but I do have another issue, and I want to make this one crystal clear:

"I am aware that different Police Academies teach different things. I am also aware of an unwritten code among some officers that dogs are to be shot on sight, shot on any raids no matter the threat, and sometimes even shot in front of owners for no reason. I am aware of postings to Facebook and other Social Media of police officers killing dogs for no reason at all.

"I saw one Facebook post where a dog behind a fence was shot by an officer... in front of a six year old child. The dog was no threat, and the child's safety was endangered. Now I understand that if a dog becomes a threat to either yourselves or other persons, you must do what you have to do. I get that. What I do not want is to see is the Town & County Police on Facebook as having officers that shoot dogs for no reason, that put people in danger in doing so.

"I have instructed the SWAT and Vice Squad teams that do raids that they'd better not shoot any dogs unless that dog is a threat. And believe me, people, I will investigate dog shootings, and I will know if someone tries to cover up an unjustified shooting. That also goes for any dog shooting. If it's justified, fine. But do not think you will be able to fool me by an attempted cover-up. Do not think getting other officers to lie for you will help you if you do the wrong thing. I will know, and I will get to the Truth."

The entire Force knew of my reputation, and no person present wanted to challenge it at this moment.

"I want to be exceptionally clear." I said. "If you draw your gun to shoot any threat, be it a human or a dog or another animal, it generates a serious incident and a Board of Inquiry. I think all of you know that in every shooting we've had, at least every one that I can think of, the investigation has been fair and thorough, and the correct result obtained. I want you to do your jobs without having to look over your shoulder, so if you are justified in your actions and in the use of lethal force, I will have your back and this Police Force will have your back."

I could feel some stirrings of unrest as I continued: "But make no mistake about this: in my opinion, which counts a lot around here, drawing your weapon to kill a dog is like drawing one to kill a person. If it's justified, I'll be the first person to defend you. But if it's not justified, I will do everything in my power, both personally and as the Police Commander, to end your career with this Police Force or any other Force. And that goes double for any attempt to cover up or lie about it."

I walked out to the side of the lectern, tapping my red crowbar in the palm of my hand as I continued speaking.

"Now some of you out there may not agree with me, and may think shooting a dog is not like shooting a person. I don't agree, but to be clear: the issue at hand is your authority as a Police Officer to use deadly force, your misuse of that authority in situations that do not justify it, and the trust and confidence of the Citizens of this Town & County, not to mention your fellow Officers.

"Therefore, be aware that killing dogs or other pets without justification is like killing someone's family member. The Media just loves to smear you, and therefore the entire Force, with stories of killing dogs; but more importantly, *I* will not tolerate it as the person responsible for every single one of you and your actions. If you kill a dog without justification, you will answer... to me."

Still tapping the crowbar, I finished up: "And ladies and gentlemen... if you do not agree with this policy, you can leave your resignations with me, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. Do I make myself clear?"

There was a murmuring. I said very loudly "I can't hear you! Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes sir!" the Force shouted as one voice.

"Lt. Masters," I said, taking off the microphone and walking towards the side of the stage and the door, "dismiss them to their duties."

"Police Force, attention!" shouted Lt. Masters. Everyone rose as one body and stood at attention as I walked out the door.

Lt. Masters then took the lectern. "Stand at ease. Remain standing, though, as this will take only a minute. Ladies and gentlemen, do your jobs. Continue to do your jobs without feeling you have to look over your shoulders. If you act decisively, with confidence, and with professionalism, the Commander will have your back, as will I. If you do the right thing in the performance of you duties, we will support you. Okay, head on out, report for your duties and assignments." Officers started moving out, some rapidly, some slowly as they talked...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Mixed results, sir." said Lt. Masters as he, Cindy, and I sat in my office. "You put the fear of God into them, but in terms of leadership you might have lost some loyalty."

"You may be right." I said. "I sure didn't like having to tell them that one of them may be bad, and I especially hate telling anyone to snitch. Nobody likes a narc."

"I think you did what you had to do, sir." said Cindy Ross. "And I don't say that just to kiss your ass. I'm worried about Public perception of the Force, as well. Priya Ajmani has called me twice asking for an interview."

"Yep." I said. "Okay, guys, I will not be here tomorrow morning. The Governor of the State has required my presence in Midtown. So Lt. Masters, keep the guys from revolting. You can go, I need to talk to Captain Ross for a minute." Lt. Masters got up, made his farewells, and left.

"So, are you going to give Priya that interview?" I asked.

"Yes, tonight. I think I should." said Cindy. "Before she goes to that piece of dog shit Brownlee. God only knows what he'll say."

"Oh, she'll go to him anyway." I said. "But don't worry about that. You're going to be in charge while I'm gone. I am hoping and praying that we have no more dog attacks, but if we do, call me. I love dogs more than I love the Governor, or politics."

"Wilco, sir." Cindy said. "Have you cleared it with the Chief about going to Midtown?"

"I sent him an email, cc'd to the Sheriff." I said. "Daniel will run any interference for me if it's needed. And if either the Chief or Brownlee give you shit while I'm gone, call Daniel right up."

"Yes sir." Cindy said. "By the way, I've observed and deduced something. I think you believe that it really is a rogue cop doing this. I doubt you would've given that speech the way you did unless you suspect that deep down."

"There's definitely more than one person involved," I said, "but yes, I do think one of them is a Uniformed police officer. I have no idea who, at least not yet. What do you think?"

Cindy sighed. "I... I just don't know. I try to use your methods, I try to use my mind and mental energy... and all I come up with is that I am still the Junior Troy around these parts."

I smiled, then said "You're doing fine; just great, in fact. I'm the one fucking up... I think Masters might've been right about that little speech I just gave. So what are your thoughts on the crimes?"

"It's so random, it's almost on purpose." Cindy said. "By that I mean the randomness, the lack of consistency is intentional, done that way by pre-planning and orchestration. And so I very much suspect whoever is doing this was advised by a certain... Consultant of Crime. His paws are all over this one."

"Junior Troy, my ass." I said. "Those are outstanding observations! So what do you deduce or infer from them?"

"That's where I fall short, and the Blue Crowbar defers to the Red one." Cindy said.

"I'm a bit stymied, myself." I said. "I'll just say this... I get the feeling that this is being done... to distract us. Our time and energies are being occupied. Someone's right hand is saying to us 'Look over here!' while their left hand is saying 'Just ignore what is going on here'. So be on the lookout tomorrow, while I'm gone."

"Don," Cindy said, "how are you going to catch this bastard? The dog killer, I mean."

"Well, I hope to have some data in from Mary and Myron soon." I said. "And if it confirms what I am thinking..." My blue eyes looked into my partner's as I said:

"... then I'll just have to go rogue, myself."

To be continued.