Going Rogue Ch. 04

Story Info
Conclusion; some answers revealed.
11.7k words
4.8
11.2k
4

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 02/01/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

Part 14 - Static On The Line

"What?!" Cindy gasped.

"That means," said Tanya Perlman, "they knew it was you following Bryce."

"Yes." I said. "And I have a feeling they were listening in on encrypted Channel 5 radio, as well. They used the encryption code right next ours: 'QB' instead of 'QA'... they could just switch one letter over, and listen to us, then switch back to talk amongst themselves."

I continued: "So Bryce drove that route down County Road 5, stopped at the Farmer's Market to see if I came up on him. McCombs and Hendricks were ready in case I took Riverside Drive instead of County Road 5. That shows some... thoughtfulness and anticipation."

"It shows one hell of a lot more than that." said Cindy. "I didn't even remember that exact route you took that night to Ward Harvester... but someone sure as hell did."

"Think we have a leak?" asked Tanya, missing Cindy's point. "Who else knew of your plan to follow Bryce as a Uniformed patrolman?"

I said "You two, Teresa, Myron and Mary, since they showed you how to work the tracking system downstairs, the Duty Desk persons down there with you, and also the second shift personnel at the helm. The Duty Desk people I got the keys to the Police cruiser from would've known I had the car. Laura knew, since I called and said I wouldn't be home tonight."

"Someone had to have overheard someone, somewhere." Tanya said. "So what are you planning to do now?"

"I'm planning to go get a shower and clean up," I said, "and then join y'all in MCD for the coffee klatch."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" yelled the lovely redheaded reporterette at 7:00am this same Thursday, October 8th, from in front of the State Office Building on the north side of Courthouse Square. "Channel Two News has learned that the College Republicans plan to stage a 'Draft Val!' rally on Campus today. Their goal is to ask Governor Valnius Jared to reconsider his one-term pledge, and run to defeat SBI Director Jack Lewis in the General Election next year!"

"The College Republicans say the rally is spontaneous, but Channel Two News has learned that College Republicans on the campuses of City University and State Tech are also planning rallies for today, and that a rally by a group called 'Concerned Citizens of Midtown' are going to hold their own rally to draft the Governor into running again. Political experts are questioning if this is really spontaneous, or a calculated plan by State Republicans."

"Who are these 'experts' ov vich shee speeks?" asked Cindy Ross, mimicking my asking that many times while listening to media reports.

"Geez, they're so fucking obvious about it." I said. "They're too stupid to make it look spontaneous like I told them to..."

"They're Republicans. What else did you expect?" asked Jenna Stiles, her voice acid.

"Jenna!" Cindy spat, trying to keep her voice to a whisper.

"She's right, Captain." I said agreeably, noticing that Joanne Cummings had glared at Jenna, and was now glaring at me. So I said "I'm going to send Detective Cummings to their next meeting, and let her borrow my crowbar so she can beat some sense into them." Joanne smiled brightly at that as we turned back to the TV.

Bettina was wrapping up: "Asked for comment, Governor Jared stated last evening that he has no plans to run again, and that his family would be the most important consideration in any future plans." Bettina said. "Let's go to Nick Eastwood for the Sports report. Nick!"

"Thanks Bettina!" said Nick Eastwood, reporting from outside the University Stadium. "The University has suffered a 1-4 start to their football season this year, and Coach Bronson is feeling the pressure to turn things around. Upcoming conference games will be key-----" The feed suddenly started getting staticky, then faded out, before coming back in again. "Let's go to the tape." said Nick.

A couple of pre-recorded interviews had Coach Bronson discussing with Nick Eastwood about the season. Nick said "Coach, if you can win the next two conference games and get back in it, the game against the currently undefeated Wildcats on Hallowe'en could be very important. What will you do to get your team ready?"

"We just have to play hard, execute the fundamentals, and have our game plan ready for every opponent." said Coach Bronson. I could see the stress on his face, however, and knew there were problems in the University locker room.

Then a tape of Eastwood interviewing the Athletic Director was shown. "Sir," said Nick, "how important are the next three games for the University's football program?"

"We need to win all of them, of course." said the Athletic Director. "But the Wildcat game is a 'must-win' for our program. Our alumni and season ticket holders just won't tolerate continued humiliation at the hands of the Wildcats."

Ouch, I thought. That does not bode well for Coach Bronson, what with the A.D. being so direct. It was the football equivalent of State Senator Sean Stockton saying voters had nowhere else to go...

Nick Eastwood came back on live. "As you can see, the Wildcats game on Hallowe'en night is crucial to Coach Bronson's----" the feed began being interrupted again, going in and out, as if it were being jammed.

"Commander," said Martin Nash, "what do you think about the continued humiliation of the Bulldogs by the Wildcats?" He was trying to start trouble... and he was succeeding.

"Mr. Eastwood was admirably exact: 'continued humiliation' is what I expect to occur." I said with a big grin. "It's going to be one scary-as-hell Hallowe'en for our opponent that day."

"Detective Nash," said an irked Cindy Ross, "isn't your evaluation coming up soon?"

"I hope so." I replied. "If the Wildcats win, I'll have some glowing comments to make."

"In that case: Go Wildcats!" said Theo Washington, who had no skin in that game. But the look Cindy Ross gave him might have dampened his enthusiasm.

"We'll just have to bribe the Commander with doughnuts, Theo." said Joanne Cummings, rescuing Theo. "Captain Ross, too."

"Three boxes, Joanne." I said. "Three boxes..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hi Bettina," I said into my personal cellphone as I sat in my office.

"Hello yourself, Don." Bettina said huskily. "I hope you're calling to ask me for a date."

"Not this time, but we'll get together soon." I said. "And that's off the record, by the way, as is this question: why was Nick Eastwood's feed going in and out this morning?"

"Er, I'll have to check with the engineers." said Bettina. "We do get that on our satellite linkups from time to time."

"I'd appreciate it if you check and find out." I said. "It could be professionally important... meaning my profession, not yours."

"Oooh, is there a story here for me?" asked Bettina, her voice picking up noticeably.

"There might be." I said. "I'll certainly give you the scoop if I find something." After goodbyes, I hung up, then made another phone call...

Part 15 - Planning Stages

At 8:00am, David Krueger reported for duty as a Consultant. I had Mary take him through in-processing, and told her to tell the Armorer to give him practice time on the range using my allotment of practice ammunition.

"With all due respect, sir," said Cindy Ross, "you need that practice more than he does."

"Are you trying to tell me something, Captain?" I asked with a grin. "Besides, I can always buy more ammunition."

He was then taken through MCD, where he was assigned a desk. After talking with the Detectives a while, Lt. Teresa Croyle came and got him and took him through Vice. In introducing David to Julie Newton, Teresa made sure to tell Julie that David was here to help reduce Julie's overload, and that she wanted Julie to help David get up to speed with some of the white-collar financial crimes that Julie was investigating.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"So how did Julie take David's hiring?" I asked at the 'Angels' meeting at 8:30am.

"She pretended to be okay with it." Teresa said. "But if there is one thing I've learned from the Iron Crowbar, it's to watch someone's eyes. I could see that she wasn't happy about it."

"I saw that, too." said Cindy, who'd been in the room at my request, and told to watch Julie's reaction. "And I'm wondering if David's training should be left to Julie, or if Myron should do it."

"Commander," said Tanya Perlman, "is there something going on with Detective Newton that we should be aware of?"

"Ah yes, I should address that very fully." I said, leaning back in my comfortable Command Chair. "First, some of you may or may not be aware that Julie Newton was having a sexual affair with Captain Harold Malone while he was here with the TCPD. It does not take my mother's abilities to observe, as well as gather gossip, to see what had been going on there. So I've never had any illusions about where her loyalties lay."

"Second," I continued, "She has been doing excellent work, but I am somewhat surprised she has not moved on from here, what with Malone's death and all that's been going on around here since. And one day she may indeed decide to leave, so I've been looking for someone that could do the things she does, and I think we all agree that David Krueger is capable of that." They all nodded.

"Commander," said Teresa Croyle, peering intently at me, "do you trust Julie Newton?"

"As much as I trust anyone, Lieutenant." I said. "As much as I trust anyone. Okay, let's plan tonight's stakeout of Patrolman Bryce."

"What?!" gasped Tanya Perlman. "You said he was onto you, or us, last night!"

"That's right." I said. "But they may not realize we know they were onto us."

"So what are we going to do?" asked Teresa.

"I'm going to follow him again." I said. "But this time, I think he's going to confront me. And if I'm right..." I told them what I expected to happen.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Who's up for a double cheeseburger?" called out the voice in my door. It could only be one person.

"Hi Jack." I said. "Come on in." Indeed, it was FBI Special Agent in Charge Jack Muscone. What surprised me was who came in behind him: Chief Griswold.

"Hi Chief!" I said. "Back from Midtown, I perceive."

"Not much gets by you, Crowbar." growled the Chief with a merry grin under his mustaches. "And I'm hungry after two days of eating Governor's Mansion swill. Let's go!" I did not need to be told twice, and soon we were in my Police SUV headed for lunch.

Arriving at the Irish Pub, a.k.a. the Cop Bar, we were given a table in the private back area so that we could talk.

"So, Chief," I said, "is the Governor hating me for taking Krueger from him?"

"No, but some of Krueger's co-workers were disappointed." replied Griswold. "They were happy for him to get the opportunity, but he really made their lives easier with his abilities."

"So, Chief," I said, "Jack is here because I've asked him to be here for a very important mission tonight. So that means you are here for another reason. And you just spent not one but two nights at the Governor's Mansion. I would say you've convinced him to bring up some National Guard assets."

Jack Muscone groaned and the Chief's eyes glowed. "What did you win this time, Chief?" I asked.

"I've got to pay for lunch for all of us." said Jack.

"Which you're going to expense." I replied. "What else did the Chief win?"

"Ferchristssake!" gasped Jack. He took out his wallet and handed the Chief a $20 bill.

"Four hundred years ago, Agent Muscone..." said the Chief with a smile.

"Which is why I wouldn't bet you a hundred." replied Jack.

"Smart Federalé, he is." I said. "How come y'all aren't betting me directly?"

"Like you told Sean Stockton," said the Chief, "we'd go broke if we did."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Julie Newton and her sister Yvonne sat down for lunch at the Soup & Salad place. Yvonne was Paulina Patterson's assistant. As Julie looked around, she saw several older ladies in the room, and she felt as if every one of their eyes were upon her.

"Did Helena say anything about why they hired this guy?" Julie asked.

"Not until I asked." said Yvonne. "But when I asked her who the new guy was, she said he'd been in the Commander's Police Academy class, and the Commander offered him a job when he saw him in Midtown. She also said the Commander was happy because it would take some of the workload off of you."

"It's not like I was overloaded in the first place." said Julie. "And it was weird... when 'Teresa Cunt' brought him in to meet everyone, Captain Lezbo was in there and I'm sure she was watching me."

"You are really not acting like yourself today, Julie." said Yvonne. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you're acting paranoid. It's not like they're going to fire you and replace you with this guy. You're way too valuable to them. I heard Lt. Croyle tell Paulina that just the other day."

"Maybe." said Julie, seeming from a million miles away.

"Okay, what is it?" Yvonne asked.

"It just got me to thinking." said Julie. "Ever since Harold Malone was run out of Town and then murdered in Alabama, I've been wondering if it was time to just... move on. Find an accounting job in some big corporation in the City and move over there."

"And give up being a police officer?" gasped Yvonne. "You're a full Detective, and you do tax preparation work on the side, as well as making some good money for Thomas P. Cook keeping some of his books. Why would you leave?"

"I know." said Julie. "And you're here, too, which helps a lot. But I don't know about Commander Troy. He gave that speech about dogs being like humans, and that didn't go over well with a lot of Officers. He's beyond-the-pale arrogant, and carries that crowbar around like he's some kind of hot shit."

"Don't say that out loud in front of anyone else." Yvonne warned. "Most of the people at Headquarters think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. A lot of them say he's cleaned up a lot of corruption."

"Yeah... by saying that good people like Harold were bad." spat Julie. "He comes in, says 'This guy is bad, this guy is corrupt.' and everyone just eats out of his hand because he solved a few crimes. And I really do wonder how he's able to 'solve' those crimes. Lezbo and Cunt say because he observes and deduces things, like Sherlock Holmes. Well, I say that Sherlock Holmes is one for the story books, not reality. I think there's a lot more to what Troy knows than everyone realizes."

"You think he's dirty?" asked Yvonne, her eyes wide with shock.

"Like you said," Julie replied, "I'll just not say some things out loud."

"Tell you what." said Yvonne. "Why don't you put in for a couple days vacation, and you and I go up to Lake Amengi-Nunagen. The leaves have turned, it's really pretty up there, and you can get some rest, have a few drinks, see if we can find some young dumb studs to fuck..."

Julie smiled at the mention of the young dumb studs. "Well, I guess we can go up there for a couple of days. I want to check the properties around Lake Watchacoochie, too..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Okay, I usually don't have any particular fascination watching other people eat. It might can tell me some things about their personalities, but it's not the most pleasant thing. But I have to admit that it is fascinating to watch Jack Muscone eating a double cheeseburger. I truly believe that it is the nearest thing for him to Heaven on earth.

As we finished our lunch, I got a text message on my personal cellphone. "Guys, I'll have to drop you off at Headquarters. I need to go meet someone on Campus... and not my wife."

After dropping off the Chief and Jack at Headquarters, where their cars were parked, I headed to the University Campus. My destination was the Army ROTC building. I parked next to Laura's car at the Psychology Building. She kept that extra space for clients or other visitors, a perk of being the Head of the Department. I knew she would not object to me parking there, though I might have to eat her pussy for an extra half hour to make up for it. Such hard duty, I thought to myself. The sacrifices I have to make...

Walking to the Army ROTC building, I went inside. It was one of the oldest buildings on Campus, and it smelled a little musty. The basement area where a lot of military equipment and clothing was stored smelled even more musty. I heard some very light *pop* *pop* sounds, and realized that this ROTC building had a .22LR range in the basement... just as my ROTC building at my University had.

I went to the Office of the ROTC Professor of Military Science, a Lieutenant Colonel. He happened to be in the Military Police Corps, which meant that he and I had some good things in common to talk about at Dr. Wellman's receptions.

"Ah, Commander." he said as his secretary ushered me in. "Thanks for coming. I hope I'm not taking you away from important duties."

"No sir." I said. "What can I help you with?"

"Let's go upstairs." he said. "There are some people I want you to meet." We went upstairs to a conference room. As we entered the room, I worked hard to keep the shock off my face. One of the persons in the room was the Commander of the ROTC unit at my School, the Colonel who'd been on Airborne jump status for so long before being injured, and who'd alerted Coach Marshall to me being investigated.

"Good to see you again, Commander." said the Colonel, shaking my hand. "This is Sergeant First Class Tate." I shook hands with the tall, slender black-haired man, observing that his beret on the table was green. This man was Special Forces.

We sat down, and the Colonel explained the mission. "I was in Special Forces for a few years before going back to the 82d Airborne to be a battalion commander. Sergeant Tate was in Seventh Group with me." I nodded.

"Don, we've know that you've had some martial arts training as well as some basic personal combat training, and that you're working with Captain Ross." said the Colonel. "But we also know from mutual friends that you are working against some pretty bad people. That rogue CIA ring you broke up had some mean bastards working with them, and I've asked Sergeant Tate to step up your training, if you're willing to do it."

"That does sound like a good opportunity, sir." I said.

"Tate is going to teach you standard Special Forces personal combat tactics." said the Colonel. "If you think you're good with a crowbar now, you'll be devastating with it or anything else after he's done. He's one of the best in all the Army. And then he'll take you even farther with mixed martial arts to go along with your Aikido."

"I appreciate that." I said.

"Good." said the Colonel. "Oh, and if you want to work out with the ROTC MS-IIIs up here, they'll get you back into the shape of a 21-year-old. I work out with the guys at my-- er, our School, and it's the best part of the day for me."

"I'll be there, sir." I said, more to the local Commander. I knew that I needed to do this for the upcoming battles. But I also had another reason, one that none of these guys could ever guess...