Golf Lessons Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
CeeeEsss
CeeeEsss
218 Followers

"A little," I admitted.

"I wish they wouldn't do that to us. Don't misunderstand me, I enjoyed the evening but I knew you were uncomfortable. I just wanted to give you my number. When your life settles down, if you're interested, give me a call."

We talked for a little while, but it was pretty obvious we didn't have very much in common. I was a homebody and Helen enjoyed a wide circle of friends she spent a lot of time with, including evenings of dancing and late dinners. She asked if I was interested in joining them the following weekend, but I said I already had plans to take my children shopping for school clothes. Helen did not have children and had never considered being a parent.

* * * *

I expected the actual divorce proceeding to be much more formal. Instead, it seemed almost anti-climatic. The judge looked at my lawyer and asked if the paperwork was in order. He stood and said, "Yes, your honor."

Then the judge looked at Stephanie and me. He shook his head for a moment and asked, "Do either one of you have any objections to what these papers say?"

Stephanie and I answered at the same time, "No, your honor."

He tapped his gavel and announced, "Divorce granted." He looked around for a moment and said, "Next case."

The lawyer leaned over and whispered that he'd meet us out in the hall. Stephanie and I found a quiet corner where we could sit and wait. "School starts in a couple of weeks," I explained, despite knowing she was as aware as I was of the date. "If you have an evening free next week, would you like to go with us to shop for the girl's school clothes?"

"Yes. You'll go with Troy?"

"I may go with him, but I suspect the only thing he needs me for is the money. He's beyond listening to my advice regarding what he should wear."

Stephanie chuckled, "Cindy hasn't listened in five years. Lulu is beginning to look at me and smile then pick out what she wants."

I was laughing quietly before Stephanie finished her statement that she didn't recall giving her mother as much trouble as Cindy and Lulu.

"Your mother probably felt the same way about her mother. Our children are growing up and becoming independent people. We had better get used to it, because it's going to happen whether we like it or not."

Shopping for school clothes had always been a fun time for our family. Because of budget restraints, it might take several trips, but we had always enjoyed the evening then complained during a late supper that we shouldn't have left it so late.

I watched Stephanie's face as I offered, "If you'd like to bring your clothes for work the next day, maybe you'd like to spend the night, too."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I think it's about time for us to be friends."

Steph's voice cracked when she asked, "Just friends?"

"Just friends, Stephanie, I'm still wounded. Don't pick at the scab. Give me a chance to heal and I'll give you a chance to be my friend."

* * * *

... to be continued.

CeeeEsss
CeeeEsss
218 Followers