Goodbye to the Dream

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Moments later, I was where the grizzly had been the night before. I started following the track that she had left. I don't know how I did it, but suddenly I was almost on top of her. It wasn't until I about lost half my mind that I realized that the rock in front of me was the momma bear that I was hunting.

As it was, the claws raked deeply down over the left side of my face, tearing at my eye, blinding me. I used the pain to clear my head and say a prayer for the pain maddened beast, then thrust my spear into where my right eye told me her chest would be. The roaring in my ears was all I needed to know. I had hit a vital spot, but not hard enough. I shoved and rammed with all my might. The spear slipped into the bear's flesh even farther and I felt the heartbeat vibrating down the shaft.

The female did the unexpected. Instead of remaining on her hind legs, she started running at me as I backed up. As I did, I swung the sword in a wild arch, cutting the throat of the dying bear, trying to end it as quickly as possible. I hadn't finished the swing when something heavy landed on my back, ripping and tearing. Damn, I had forgotten that momma had a cub or two.

I rammed an elbow backwards, and then reversed the blade so that the point was aimed behind me, and then rammed hard. I impaled the cub and rode him down to the ground. The resulting crunch was enough for me as the cub hit a sharp rock. It shuddered once and was still.

I turned towards the momma bear, only to find her lying on her side, breathing heavily. As I approached, the stench of gangrene oozed from her fur. I sighed and shook my head. "I give you peace, old woman. No one should have to suffer through a slow death." I raised the sword above my head and brought it down, severing her head.

I looked around the place, bleeding and numb from adrenaline. I turned to check on the cub I had impaled and found it truly dead, eyes glazed in death. Only then did I notice that the second cub was off to one side. When I approached, I noticed that it was already dead. My hand went through its fur, noting the bones stuck out from its skin. No one needed to tell me any more. Without the mother to protect them, the little ones had starved.

I stood up and, fighting the dizziness, called to the skies, "Little Father! Take their spirits and keep them safe until they could again return in another life."

There was a flash of light, and a wave of pain washed over my body. I thought I heard him say, "You're going to be all right, Diane. There's no need to worry."

I frowned and shook my head, only to find that I couldn't. "What are you talking about?" The flash of white light hit my eye again and I felt myself falling back onto the ground. Something stung me in the crook of my arm, a sharp, sudden pain. It was unexpected enough that I lashed out and felt my bloodied fist connect with solid flesh.

"Hold her down! She's coming to!" The words were still muffled, but I heard the words. There was the sound of someone yelling in the background, "She broke my jaw! Someone tie that bitch to the gurney!"

I tried frowning, but I was just too exhausted to care, "What gurney?" I shook my head and lapsed into darkness as whatever they gave me sent me into a dreamless state.

********************

Consciousness arrived a bit at a time. It was a jumbled mess of things. I finally realized I was in a hospital. But that's all I knew. When I finally woke up for good, the first face I saw was my brother's. Fred was looking rather ragged at this point. "Hey there, brother of mine." I said weakly.

He looked at me and took my hand. "I send you to do some rest and relaxation after your horse shoot and you think you're wonder woman." He made a lame smile. "Since when do you think you can take on a grizzly and get away with it?"

I frowned, something wasn't right. I could tell. "Fred, talk to me true. About five months ago, I was attacked at a pool hall, right?"

He nodded, "Was a close call, too, an inch lower and he would have hit your jugular." he brought a hand up to my bandaged face. "You're lucky you drove yourself to the hospital without an accident."

I felt tears sting my eyes. Or eye, rather, as the other one was gone and the injured eye socket swathed in bandages. "How long was I up there before you guys found me?" I wouldn't let my brother see my pain. I knew what was coming; I just needed to hear it out loud.

"You were missing for three days, Sis. They found your bike, mangled after the snowstorm. You were lying in a snow bank with the dead bear lying on top of you. The authorities said that the broken branch you used was sticking straight out between the shoulder blades. They also said that the warmth of that bear saved your life."

I sighed softly. "Humor me, Fred. Was I even remotely acquainted with Kiefer Sutherland at any time during the past five months?"

He shook his head. "Why would you think that? He's been over in Barcelona, Spain doing a photo shoot for his show, 24."

I felt my heart breaking. "I need to be alone for a bit, Fred. I need to get used to the fact that I'm going to be a monster for the rest of my life and I'll only be able to see out of one eye."

He tensed, "But they said..."

I sighed, "Fred, I know what they said. I also know what the specialist said. Now get out of here and go get some sleep. You look like shit."

He left and the nurse came in to help me roll over onto my stomach. The bear had done some nasty gashes on my back. Once she left, I was free to cry myself to sleep. It had been a dream, just a dream. And I had fallen in love with the dream.

*************************

Author's note:

Thanks to everyone who enjoyed the Kiefer Collection. My Muse and I felt it a worthwhile time to bring this series to a close. But never fear, Diane will return in a new series called The Gaelic Rogue. I'd like to thank everyone for his or her support and encouragement. You guys know who you are. Keep in touch.

A Special Thanks goes out to TheLegGuy for putting up with my stories for as long as he has. Give him a big hug or a good e-mail when you see him.

BardsLady

12