Guardian Angel

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,617 Followers

"When was this, and what happened?"

"Ooh it'd be about twelve years ago now. He was one of them blokes who set up a dot com company. He got out at the right time, sold the business on to someone else and made a million in the process. That's why they moved down here and built the house. Loves young dream they was, everybody said so. She used to be an Olympic swimmer; she loved to be in the water. He was the problem he couldn't stop; he had to make more money so he played the stock market. He lost the lot, every penny. Well he couldn't live with it could he. One day while she went shopping he took himself out to the beach and just walked out into the water. According to the rumour she came home, found what he'd done and swam out to sea looking for him. His body washed up down at St Ives. They never found her."

"But that can't be, I was in that house only a week ago. I was talking to her."

"Not this house you weren't son. You must have the wrong beach because this is the only house there's ever been on this one,"

I found myself with another mystery. First six weeks turns into ten days. Now I find that the house I was living in only a week ago, was demolished the year before. I had to investigate further so I took myself off to the offices of the local newspaper. I told them I was writing a book about the couple and asked if I could look through their archive. It took me less than an hour to get lucky. I found the first story about finding John Richardson's body; his wife Vanessa was not available for comment. The following week they carried the story of Vanessa's disappearance. There was photograph of her; it was my Vanessa, looking exactly as she had when she came out of the sea to stop me. I knew then, she wasn't coming back, at least not in any way that would allow us to have a relationship. I persuaded them to let me have a copy of the photograph.

I went back to my flat and looked at my bank and credit card statements, looking for something to tell me where I'd been for those ten days. I found nothing that gave me any idea. In the end I gave up. Even though I knew she wasn't coming back, I still felt drawn to that beach. She'd said when she came back that's where I would find her. It was as if she wanted me to be there. I bought a house here and when I found an ailing motorcycle dealership for sale, I indulged the passion of my youth and bought it. Since then I've spent much of my free time on the beach."

Helen squeezed his arm. "Did you ever see her again?"

"No I never did, not until the night I met you. I thought I saw her coming out of the surf just as we were about to leave the beach. It was only for a second and then she was gone"

"Were you in love with her Geoff?"

"No I don't think so. I liked her a lot and she was very beautiful but really I think I felt I owed her something. She'd given me so much in that six weeks or ten days whichever it was in reality. I'd have done anything to have been able to give something back to her."

"Do you have her photo?"

Geoff got out his wallet and produced the picture he'd got from the newspaper office. Helen looked at the picture and the blood drained from her face.

"I've seen her Geoff. I've seen her twice. She was the waitress in the fish and chip shop. I met her again when you took me clothes shopping. She was in the fitting rooms in one of the shops. She told me what a good man you were. Do you think she's looking after us?"

"Well, if she brought you to me, I need to thank her again."

"Perhaps she didn't bring me to you, but she made sure you were there for me."

The public address announced the imminent arrival of Helen's train. They made their way out to the platform. They kissed like a pair of teenagers.

"Helen, are you really coming back?"

"You bet I am. I have to get everything sorted out. I don't know how long it will take but as soon as it's done I'll be back. What about you Geoff? You're not going to disappear like Vanessa?"

"No I'll be here. I'll wait as long as it takes."

He kissed her again as she got on the train. A tear come to his eye as the doors closed and the train started to move. He waved until he could see her no more, returned to his car and drove to work.

Chapter 4

2nd August 2003

Geoff was in his element. He turned off the water from the hose and stood and looked at his pride and joy. He sniffed taking in the wonderful smell of Gunk. The Vincent Black Shadow gleamed in the sun light. Geoff took his chamois leather and started drying the paint and chrome work. He noticed the taxi pull up. Crouching down he picked up his tube of Solvol Autosol and started to polish the tappet covers. He heard the cab door close but didn't turn to look. He knew who it would be; he'd been told she was here. She'd been asking about him in Newquay. It was only a matter of time before she sought him out. She stopped on the other side of the bike and waited for him to get up. Geoff continued his polishing.

"It's been a long time Geoff. You're looking good."

He stood up and wiped his hands with his polishing rag. He looked her up and down. The past years hadn't treated her particularly well. She was about twenty pounds heavier mainly on her arse and tits but even her face looked fatter.

"You're not looking so bad yourself Jac."

"You don't need to flatter me. I know how I look"

"So what brings you to this part of the world? Was the divorce settlement not good enough? I gave you a quarter of a million from the house; you kept your company shares. Stuart McKenzie said you were happy with the lump sum for Ian's child support."

"No it's nothing like that. As a matter of fact you were very fair, all things considered. Look we can't really discuss things out here, can we go inside?"

For the first time since she arrived, he noticed she was carrying a brief case. That made him a bit curious so he invited her into the house. Once inside she looked around.

"This is nice Geoff. A good sized garden I see and you've got what, three bedrooms or is it four?"

"Only three at the moment, but you didn't come all the way down here to look at my house. What is it you want?"

Geoff set the coffee filter machine going and waited for her to answer.

"It's you I want; I've come to ask you to come back."

Geoff stopped in his tracks, his mouth fell open and his eyes widened. Jackie put her hand to her mouth and started laughing.

"No I didn't mean that, I'm not asking you to come back to me, though god knows I would if I believed it would work. I'd even beg if it would do any good but I know you better than that. I burned my bridges with those divorce papers. It wasn't until I was without you that I realised what I really wanted. You know how the song goes; you don't miss your water till you well runs dry"

"You lost me as soon as I guessed you'd had his dick in you. You acted like lovers on that sofa that was enough for me. How is Ian? I gather he's firmly hitched his team to Simon's wagon."

"I tried to stop him Geoff, really I did, but he's an adult now. If he wants to change his name I can't stop him. He still looks up to Simon. Give him time, he's still young."

"He's had seven years. I think that's long enough. What about you? I gather it didn't work out with Si?"

"Do you remember what you said to me as we went out of the door? I do and it came back to haunt me. When a man marries his mistress, it creates a vacancy. It only took him a year to fill that vacancy. It didn't help that I was still in love with you. You never asked me why I did it. I've asked myself several times and I still don't know. He was just so damned persuasive. The silver tongue doesn't cut it once you're spending all your time together. Once I caught him with his trousers down, so to speak, there was only one ending."

"So what's happening now? Have you found someone else?"

"There have been a couple over the last five years but they don't go anywhere. You're a hard act to follow, Geoff. You were always a good husband. There was just that one year when you were running around all over the place trying to get work for the company to change direction. I was a fool letting that bastard convince me that you were playing around."

"I never did. You were always all I wanted in a wife. I had no need for anyone else."

"I know that now, but it's too late isn't it."

"You got that right, way too late. So this visit isn't about us, what is it about?"

"We want you to come back, back to the company. We can offer you your old job back and you'll have a free hand. You can take the company in whatever direction you want."

"You keep saying we Jac, who is we?"

"The board, and the bank! It won't surprise you Geoff, because you predicted it. The company is in trouble. The bank won't lend any more money unless we can put together a credible diversification plan. We've tried but the clients don't believe we have the expertise to deliver. We need someone with credibility Geoff, we need you."

"What does Simon have to say about this?"

"He's OK with it but it wouldn't make much difference if he wasn't. He's still only got thirty percent, thanks to the divorce settlement I've got thirty five. The rest of the board and the bank support me. I've even brought a contract with me."

Geoff got up and poured the coffee and brought two cups back to the table. He sat down and took his cup in both hands. He took a sip from his coffee and addressed Jackie.

"What makes you think I want to come back? I'm happy here, I have friends here, and I have no need to come back."

"Oh come on Geoff you can't tell me that you're happy running a motorbike shop. I can see that it allows you to indulge the passion of your youth, but you can't tell me it stimulates your brain."

Jackie became aware that Geoff was no longer looking at her but over her shoulder. She turned to see a Toyota MPV pull up on the drive. A slim redhead got out, opened the back door and helped two copper haired children get out of the car. They walked towards the front door. Geoff got up and walked towards the door.

"Are you expecting visitors?" Jackie asked.

"No I'm not." he said as he opened the door. The two children came running in and grabbed hold of his legs

"Daddy why didn't you come swimming with us today?" said the little boy.

Geoff squatted down to talk to him. "Because little man, I was expecting a visitor who came all the way from London."

"Is she here now Daddy?" asked the little girl.

"Yes darling, she is sitting over there at the table." Geoff stood up and hugged the young woman and kissed her. Jackie felt a twinge of jealousy seeing them together.

"We missed you at the pool today." Helen said as she put her arm around his waist. "Are you going to introduce us?"

They all walked back towards the table. As Jackie offered her hand, Geoff made the introductions.

"Jackie this is Helen. Helen this is my ex-wife Jackie. And these two ankle biters are Daniel and Vanessa." He bent down to the children." This is the lady, daddy was married to before he met mummy."

Helen shook Jackie's hand then took her in a fond embrace. "It's nice to meet you, I owe you so much."

Jackie looked puzzled "What can you possibly owe me."

"Isn't it obvious? Him; these two: my life basically! If it wasn't for you, none of this would have happened."

"Well Helen, if you're trying to make me feel like a stupid bitch, you're doing a hell of a good job. I didn't see a wedding ring."

"Well you know how it is Jackie, once bitten, twice shy"

"Geoff, were you expecting me today?" Jackie asked.

"Soon after you booked your taxi last night someone rang to say you'd be coming here. Like I said I have friends here, real friends, people who care about me. Now why don't you tell me the whole story?"

"So what is it that you don't already know?"

"I want to know the real reason you came."

"I told you I want you to come back."

"Well you can't have him back he's mine now." Helen called out from the laundry room.

"The company is in trouble Geoff. What I didn't tell you is that we've been made an offer. The thing is, it's an all or nothing deal. I only own 35% of the shares, Si still has 30% but the other 35% belongs to four other shareholders. They all want to sell, even Si is considering it. The bank wants us to sell so that we can settle our overdraft. I really did come to ask you to come back, If you come back I can swing the others behind me and the bank would give us more time."

"Sell Jac, just let it go. Get the best deal you can."

"I don't want to, that company is my last link with our old life Geoff. I don't want to let it go."

"Take the offer Jac. Let the past go."

"They won't take on our debts. I'll be left with less than a hundred thousand once we've settled with the bank. Si will be left with nothing. He remortgaged his house to buy some of your shares then lost them to me in the divorce settlement. Please Geoff come back and help us to rebuild the company. You've done it before and if we'd let you do it your way we wouldn't be in this mess. You can't be happy being a motorcycle dealer?; You're capable of so much more."

"Take the offer Jac. I'm happy here, I like doing what I do. Yes I am capable of more than selling motorbikes, that's why I have my finger in so many other pies. Just go home take the money and move on."

Helen came back into the room. "Jackie, I'm about to start lunch. Would you like to join us? I'm sure Geoff would be happy to drive you back to town later."

Jackie looked at Geoff and realised she was wasting her time. "No thank you very much, I must be going. Thank you for your time Geoff." She got out her phone and called for a taxi.

No sooner had Jackie left the house than Helen walked up to Geoff put her arms around his neck and kissed him. "You are a very naughty man Geoff Cockburn. She doesn't know does she? And you're not going to tell her are you?"

"Right on both counts," Geoff said as a broad grin spread across his face."

"The last time I found something that amusing was when my ex-husbands baby came out brown. Of course you getting me pregnant made it all the more enjoyable."

"Like you said, I'm a very naughty man."

***

29th September 2003

As they filed into the lunch room some of the employees of Cockburn Software Solutions thought there was something familiar about the guy with the beard sitting at the back of the room. However the main focus of their attention was the slim shapely redhead standing beside him. She looked elegantly sexy in her two piece suit, white blouse and black stockings. Some of the men commented that they could make out the outline of her lacy white bra that was doing a good job of supporting what was an ample, not large, bosom.

Helen waited for them all to assemble and close the door before she spoke.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, you will all be aware that CSS has been experiencing some financial difficulties and the future has been somewhat uncertain. I'm pleased to tell you that as of 9.00am that uncertainty has been removed. This company has been taken over by Wellard Data Services." She paused while the whisper went around the room. "Wellard is a company built up over the last six years to address the need for online data storage foreseen by our founder. We own two large server farms, one in Reading and one in Edinburgh. Much of our business comes from companies' desires to disaster proof their data. We've acquired CSS so we can add value to what we do by providing online bespoke programs. This is not going to yield profits immediately so we need to release assets, tied up in this company. To this end we are selling this building and relocating to Truro."

"No Way" shouted a voice from the crowd in front of her.

"Excuse me sir, you are?"

"Ian Hamilton, project manager and there is no way you're moving us to the back of beyond. I'll take it to the board if I have to."

Geoff stood up.

"What code do you write Mr Hamilton." Ian thought he recognised the voice and the man with the beard looked familiar.

"I don't write code, I'm a project manager."

"Well Mr Hamilton, all our project managers also write code so I 'm afraid the invitation to move down to Truro with us, will not be open to you. As for taking it to the board, you just have. I own Wellard and now I own CSS again. I am the board Mr Hamilton. What I say goes, and I say we move to Truro. We will get enough from the sale of the London properties to pay the salary bill until we develop new products. If you pop along to Human Resources at the end of this meeting they will tell you all about the statutory severance package."

Ian knew now who he was dealing with and got up and left.

Geoff continued, "If anyone else feels the same way as my son, they are welcome to join him. We hope to take most of you with us but that will be your decision. We will offer a generous relocation package. As Ms McAlister has already mentioned, this building will be sold. So will the two flats owned by the company. These are currently occupied by young Mr Hamilton and a young lady providing personal services for Mr Simon Hamilton. We will be bringing in our own management team. You've already met Ms McAlister who is the chief accountant. Those of you who've been with the company for seven years or more may recognise the people who join us. There are a number of people who served CSS well in the past and I've managed to persuade many of them to return. Mr Simon Hamilton and Mr's Cockburn no longer have a role in the company. I will be meeting with all heads of department this afternoon to outline the way forward. If you have any more questions Ms McAlister will be pleased to answer them. Thank you."

Geoff left the room and made his way to what had once been his office, where he found Simon Hamilton.

"Good morning Simon, packing up your personal belongings?"

"Well I wasn't, but I suppose if you want this office I'll move. I like the beard Geoff; if you hadn't spoken I'd never have known it was you."

"Yes Si I would like you to vacate the office. In fact I'd like you to vacate the premises."

There was a knock at the door and Janet, Geoff's old secretary, passed him a box for Simon's personal belongings.

"I really thought you'd want to keep me on. With my contract it'll cost you too much to get rid of me. You know that I'll enforce it"

"Oh Si, you really should have read the sale contract. The previous owners were responsible for honouring all senior management contracts. That means you'll be suing yourself if you try to enforce it. What's the problem you must have got eighty five grand out of the sale?"

"Yeah and I owe more than four times that much on my house. I had to remortgage it in order to buy some of your shares."

"I shouldn't worry Si, I'm sure you get another job in a month or two. Perhaps my son will share his redundancy pay with you. After all you shared your name with him."

"You haven't fired him? I can't believe you'd be that vindictive."

"Didn't have to, he fired himself. Said there was no way he was going to Truro."

Simon busied himself collecting up his personal possessions and putting them in the box while Geoff waited. Eventually he picked up the box and moved towards the door.

"Si, you do realise this is all strictly business, nothing personal." Simon stopped and thought about shaking Geoff's offered right hand. He remembered the broken nose he got the last time he shook it, turned around and left.

Geoff sat at his old desk. He stretched out his arms and ran his hands over the leather top. Janet knocked on the door and entered the office.

"I just wanted to say sir; it's so good to see you back where you belong."

"Thank you Janet. It's good to have you back I'll bet your last employer was sad see you go."

DeYaKen
DeYaKen
1,617 Followers