Half-Way

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nancy gulped. There were other questions but they seemed trivial now. 'Why had he bought the restaurant? Why had he changed the name of the town? Why had he addressed Mr. Tuttle as 'mayor'? Most important, what plans did he have for her son?'

She sat the empty glass on the desk and said goodbye.

"They came back!" Joshua burst out in his usual ardent way as he came through the door.

"That's such good news," Nancy chided him. "It would be better news if I knew who you were talking about."

The news was that Peter had walked into the restaurant about 7:30 that evening and had nearly fainted. The place was crowded with customers and everyone was so busy that they had not noticed him. Patty, one of the new waitresses had asked if he would like to sit at the counter or would he prefer to wait for a table. Joshua had rescued Peter and introduced him to Patty. He then yelled out, "Look who's here." But most of the diners were strangers and didn't take notice. Harry came out of the kitchen and greeted Peter who was still in a state of shock.

Joshua was animated and with delight as he related how Peter had looked around in wonderment. He took in everything. He pointed to the new sign and the expanded parking area. He had even walked through the kitchen and saw the new tile floor and dish washing machine. Peter had shaken his head in amazement. "Incredible," he said as he counted the empty seats on one hand. "How did you do it?"

He went home and got Ruth who was there unpacking from their extended vacation. He showed her the new menu and guided her to the banquet room where a new chandelier lit every corner of the crowded room. Ruth scoffed at the white table clothes and the white lace aprons the waitresses wore over their new black uniforms. However, she clutched the new menu like a it was a child that needed her care. She even gave Joshua a pinch on the cheek when she saw him in his tuxedo.

Harry had the top down on the white convertible when he paid them a visit to say goodbye.

"You're leaving this a better place Harry," Nancy admitted.

Joshua was misty eyed when he greeted his friend and admired the car. He noticed the New Jersey license plates on the front and back bumpers and pointed them out to his mother.

"I'm not really a convertible kind of guy," Harry laughed. "But it was either this or put that new dish washing machine in the back of my truck. They couldn't afford to keep both and pay for all of the improvements to the cafe too. They will have their hands full but I expect they will do fine. Ruth knows she can't take days off any more and Peter has taken to the new menu like an old friend. "

"After all you have done, I'm surprised that you settled for just the car. It was nice of you to agree to let them take the restaurant back," Nancy said.

"There was one other concession," Harry smiled, showing his uneven teeth.

"Oh? I thought there must me more," said Nancy.

"The town fathers agreed to change the name of the settlement. One word is to be added to the bill boards." Harry watched the mother of his friend and thought, 'what an attractive women, too bad I'm not sticking around.'

"Yes?" Nancy cupped her hands together excitedly. "Do we have to squeeze it out of you?"

"Almost," said Harry. "'Almost' is to be added before 'Half Way' on the signs. 'Half Way' was not correct. The highway to the east is six and a half miles from here, while the one to the west is only five and a half miles, the truth in advertising and all that, you see," he said, smiling.

"But we've always called it 'Mid Way,' that means we have been wrong all along," Nancy said.

Harry gave them one last smile as he got into his new car and said, "Things are not always as they seem."

{My thanks to Angel}

12