Halo Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers

"When do you want to go to your parents' place?" Ren asked.

"I had been thinking to go now and get back in plenty of time to help 'Tanaya with the evening meal," Janey said quietly.

"There's no need for you to help cook. I already told you that," 'Tanaya said evenly.

"We can go now if you want," Ren said to Janey.

Janey glanced at Brad who nodded then she looked at 'Tanaya, "Yeah, now," Janey agreed.

Ren got to his feet and looked at Janey, "Whose vehicle would you like to go in?"

"My car," Janey said.

"I'll just grab my wallet," Ren said and headed for his room.

Janey followed him and hesitated in the doorway as she watched him putting his jacket on. He checked that his wallet was in its pocket.

Ren glanced at Janey where she stood just inside the door. "It's okay. You can come in and get your jacket and purse," he told her softly.

Janey hesitated a moment more then walked to where her overnight bag sat and picked up her jacket and the wallet beneath it.

"I ... you weren't here when I got here this morning and put my stuff in here." Janey said quietly.

"You're welcome to use this room even while I'm still here whether or not we sleep together," Ren told her gently.

Janey blushed and gave a faint nod before heading for her car.

When both Janey and Ren were in the car and they had reached the out skirts of the town Janey glanced at Ren before licking her lips nervously.

"I wasn't sure if you would want to be around me after what I said Thursday," Janey said, her voice trembling slightly.

"I won't pretend that I like the fact that the ... Adam is still in the picture," Ren said forcing himself to keep his tone even.

Janey gave a slight nod in acknowledgement but didn't say anything further.

"I own several restaurants down south. There's one in Newcastle, two in Sydney, one down near the Victorian border and one north of Melbourne. I've been thinking that I need to check up on them, especially those in Newcastle and Sydney. Would you like to come with me? I'll only be gone a week at the most," Ren said in a quiet even tone.

When there was no reply from Janey he glanced across at her. There was a slight frown on her face and her hands were white knuckled on the steering wheel.

"I couldn't leave Nicky for that long," Janey finally said.

"And I wouldn't expect you to. We could take him with us, travel when it's nap time for him," Ren said gently.

"I'm no good in big cities or crowds," Janey said softly.

"What if I was with you all the time?" Ren asked evenly, "I wouldn't just go off and leave you alone with Nicky."

"I'd ... I'd like to go but ... I ... so many people," Janey stammered uneasily.

"There's no rush. Just think it over," Ren said gently. He began talking about everyday things and asking questions about different things along the road. By the time they reached the turn to Janey's parents' home she was once again at ease.

Janey surveyed the cars outside her parents' house with a frown. She had expected to see James' car but was not pleased to see Robbie's little car as well. As Janey and Ren got out of her car Janey was dismayed to see her father and Robbie walk out of the garage and pause to see whom she had with her.

Jim took a deep breath then walked over towards where Janey had started up the footpath with her companion.

"We weren't expecting you back yet Janey," Jim said and paused as he realised Nicky wasn't with her. "Where's Nicky?"

"Nicky is with his father. I forgot several things and came to pick them up then we'll leave again. I'll be back tomorrow evening or night," Janey said levelly.

"You're Renford aren't you?" Robbie asked as he eyed Ren.

"Gabriel Renford. Ren, Gabe or Gabriel to my friends," Ren said in a friendly tone.

Janey unconsciously held her breath as both her father and brother looked Ren over critically. Finally her father gave a faint nod and offered his hand.

"Jim Wilkinson. This is Robbie my oldest son," Jim said as they shook hands.

"Nice looking place you got here," Ren offered.

"It suits us," Jim said.

"I'll just wait out here with your father and brother while you do whatever you need to do Blondie," Ren said gently to Janey who was watching with a worried expression.

Janey frowned for a moment before turning back towards the house. "I won't be long," she promised.

"Take as much time as you need," Ren told her unconcerned.

With a last worried look at Ren, then her father and brother, she hurried into the house.

"Why are you hanging around Janetta?" Robbie asked once Janey was well out of hearing range.

"Because I happen to think that Janey is one very special person, someone who I hope will become a permanent part of my life," Ren answered levelly.

"Janey is already engaged," Jim said calmly.

"I don't think that Adam is good enough for Janey. She deserves better," Ren said without getting upset.

Jim eyed Ren for several long silent moments; finally he gave a slight smile before looking to see if Janey was coming out of the house yet.

"Hallo there Ren," James said with a friendly smile as he came off the front veranda and walked to where the three men stood.

"Hi James," Ren said with a nod.

"Nicky with Brad?" James asked when he didn't see his nephew.

"Yeah. They're building block towers," Ren said with a smile.

"You mean Brad's building them and Nicky is knocking them down as fast as he can," James said with a wide grin.

Ren gave a soft laugh of appreciation, "You got that right," he admitted.

"What do you do to earn a dollar?" Robbie asked suddenly.

"I'm a Master Chef. Five star qualifications," Ren said evenly.

"As far as I know there's only Hogs Breath Café of that calibre around this area," Jim said doubtfully.

"The Bellowing Bull is high quality," Ren said quietly.

James hid a smile at his father's attempt to see how well Ren knew the restaurants in the area.

"Decided to come for the drive with Janey?" Robbie asked almost insultingly.

"I'm sure you know your sister better than that," Ren said in an even tone as he met Robbie's look with a hard expression. "Sometimes Janey needs someone with her for company."

Robbie eyed Ren thoughtfully. He was sure the guy was a lot more aware of what Janey needed than Adam.

"How are Janey and 'Tanaya getting on?" James asked hoping to defuse the situation.

"They've worked things out and are starting to get on pretty well," Ren said with a slight nod.

"Are you two saying Janey didn't or doesn't like the woman that Nicky's father is with?" Jim asked suspiciously.

"Janey didn't know Shantanaya so she wasn't too sure of her being around Nicky," Ren said then looked straight at Robbie. "Then your mate dug up a sealed report and gave it to Janey just to make trouble."

A muscle jumped in Robbie's jaw as he clenched it tightly before responding. "Adam has to account to his superiors over that. Plus he has to face the head of the department that worked on my sister's case in regards to some concerns they have now developed," Robbie said tightly.

"Robbie would you care to explain?" Jim demanded.

"Later Dad," Robbie said calmly.

Ren caught sight of Janey as she hurried out of the house carrying a small overnight bag. He smiled reassuringly at her as she approached wearing a worried frown.

"Have you got all you wanted to get?" Ren asked gently.

"Yeah," Janey mumbled and glanced between her father and two brothers before looking at Ren but he didn't seem in the least bit worried. She stepped close and clasped one of his hands in hers to lend her silent support in case her father and brothers had been hassling him.

Jim narrowed his eyes thoughtfully as he saw the way Janey silently gave the blonde guy her support. Even though she was engaged to Adam, Jim had never seen her act towards him in such a way.

"I'll see you when you get home," Jim said and sent Ren a look that warned him he had best look after Janey and be on his best behaviour.

In the car Janey breathed a sigh of relief when she turned onto the road that led to the highway.

"I'm sorry about my father and brothers," Janey said with a nervous glance towards Ren.

"Your father and brothers just happen to care about you and I'm fine with the way they acted. After all they don't know me," Ren said gently.

Janey sent him a slight smile before turning her full attention to driving.

Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers
12