Halo Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers

"I ... I really care about you Janey. I love you I want to marry you. I'm even willing to accept your son; I love the kid too." Adam said earnestly and held up the gaily-wrapped present he held, "I've gotten him a birthday present. I spent ages picking out something just right for him."

"Adam just ..." Janey began flatly.

"I know how lonely you've been while I was gone. I haven't been here to support you," Adam smiled ruefully, "But I'm back now. We can work things out I know we can."

"Adam you don't know what I want or what I need," Janey said levelly.

"Maybe I don't but maybe you don't really know either. I'll protect you and look after you. You'll be safe with me," Adam said gently.

"Adam stop, just stop what you're saying. I don't ..." Janey paused and glanced towards the driveway as she heard vehicles approaching. She was relieved to recognise both of her brothers' vehicles and turned to walk to the front gate.

"Ahhh, here comes Robby and James. Maybe you'll listen to them," Adam said gently as he followed her.

Janey ignored his comment and watched as her brothers carefully parked their vehicle in the shade of the trees that lined the front fence. She recognised the defensive set to James' shoulders as he got out of his car and headed her way.

"Hallo Blonde one," James said with a wide grin. His smile was reserved as he glanced Adam's way. "Adam."

"Hallo James, Hallo Robby. I'm glad to see you here. It seems Brad Stanton has invited himself over for Nicky's birthday," Adam said.

"Adam would you leave? Everyone else here has been invited to Nicky's birthday party," Janey said tightly, suddenly at the end of her patience.

Adam looked at Janey startled, "Janey?"

"I think Janey just asked you to leave," James said in a firm voice.

Adam glanced at Janey who was looking away from him. "I'll come back later when we can talk Darling," Adam said gently and walked towards his car.

Janey turned and headed towards the front door. Her hand was shaking as she reached for the doorknob and she fumbled for a moment before managing to open the door. She headed straight towards her room to check on Nicky.

In her room she sat down on the edge of her bed and stared at Nicky who was still sleeping.

What did I ever see in Adam? Janey asked herself silently. He wasn't listening to me. He just kept saying what he thought I would want to hear.

A sound at the door had her looking that way cautiously.

"You okay?" James asked as he walked in and stood looking down at his nephew.

"I'm fine. Nicky's still asleep," Janey said after a few moments silence.

"Let's go out to the lounge room. I think I hear Caro's car coming up the driveway," James said quietly.

Janey got to her feet and followed James from the room almost reluctantly. In the lounge room everyone was having a cool drink and Janey accepted the tall glass of iced tea her mother handed her.

"Where's the birthday boy" Caro asked as she walked into the room. "I got a present for him."

Janey looked at her sister for a few seconds before looking away.

"Was Adam still outside when you came in," James asked.

"He passed me as he was leaving. Couldn't he stay for Nicky's party," Caro asked.

"He had something else to do," Janey said quickly.

"What could be more important than the birthday party of the son of the woman he is engaged to," Caro asked.

Janey sent her sister a dark look but said nothing; Caro had made it perfectly clear that she thought Janey was mad to have picked Ren over Adam.

A low throaty rumble could be heard. Janey and 'Tanaya looked towards the front door while Brad was glancing at his watch.

"That'd be Ren and the boys," Brad said.

Janey was already on her feet heading for the door.

Outside Janey watched as three big powerful bikes pulled into the shade near the vehicles and were turned off.

Ren was smiling as he took off his helmet and hung it on the handlebars of his bike. He ran appreciative eyes over Janey where she stood just inside the gate as he walked towards her.

"You're looking good today," Ren said huskily before lowering his head for a brief kiss.

"Hey, we can't get past," Matty protested good-naturedly.

"Shuddup lad," Ren pretended to growl but moved aside taking Janey with him so there was ample room for the other two to walk through the gateway.

"Did Brad or 'Tanaya take in a box of presents for Nicky," Brent asked.

"They haven't given him my present yet have they? I want to watch him open it," Matty gushed excitedly.

"Yes they took the presents inside when they got here and they haven't given Nicky any presents but a small one they had for him," Janey said with a smile.

"Good," Ren said with a smile as he put his arm around Janey and they headed inside.

Once they were inside Janey introduced Brent and Matty to the members of her family who hadn't met them formally and made sure the three new comers had a cold drink.

* * * * *

Janey laughed as she used a paper towel to catch the tomato sauce that dripped off the sausage on bread that Nicky was eating. Nicky smiled as he chewed his food and swallowed it before wriggling to get down off Ren's knee.

"Daddy!" Nicky squealed and set off towards Brad at a run.

Marina smiled as she watched her grandson happily playing among the adults as they ate. She glanced at her husband's face and saw him smiling with approval as 'Tanaya lifted Nicky onto Brad's knee so he could drink out of the cup Brad held for him.

"Nicky's going to end up spoilt," Jim said softly.

"Not spoilt," Marina replied just as softly, "Well loved,"

"I'm going to get a drink. Anyone else want one?" Janey asked as she got to her feet.

"I'll come and get one as well," Ren said.

"I can get it. You finish your food," Janey said with a smile.

"Can you bring your father and I a drink as well?" Marina asked.

"Yes. The usual," Janey asked.

"I'll come and give you a hand. We can grab enough drinks for everyone," 'Tanaya said getting to her feet.

"Let's get to it then," Janey said and led the way towards the back door to the kitchen.

"Nicky's having fun," 'Tanaya commented as she opened the door while and stopped to pick up Nicky who had ran after them.

"'Naynay," Nicky said and fluttered his eyelashes at her.

"What do you want Mr Cookie Monster?" 'Tanaya asked as she tickled the picture of the character on his shirt.

"Jink, jink," Nicky said as he looked around with interest in the kitchen.

"I don't know whether you're a bottomless pit or a tank," Janey said to her son while she poured him a drink of water.

"Both I think," 'Tanaya laughed then was silent as she listened intently. "Is that a car?"

Janey walked to the front window of the house and looked out. She frowned when she saw Adam had returned and glanced back over her shoulder where 'Tanaya had followed her.

"I'm going to go and tell him I want him to leave," Janey said as she headed for the door.

Adam was just inside the gate when Janey walked out to meet him. She stopped several steps away from him and frowned in annoyance as she saw the hopeful smile on his face.

"How about we go for a drive so we can talk without interruption," Adam said with a nod towards his vehicle.

"I don't want to Adam. Besides Nicky's party hasn't finished yet," Janey said tightly.

"I know it must be hard having to have Brad here for Nicky's sake but there won't be any need for him to keep seeing Nicky once we sort..." Adam's voice died away as he looked past Janey.

Janey turned her head to see what had attracted his attention and saw that 'Tanaya had followed her outside.

"Would you leave so Janey and I..." Adam began angrily.

"Where do you get off telling my friends to go away?" Janey demanded hotly.

"I can't believe you are naïve enough to have someone like her as a friend!" Adam snapped.

"And you're Mr Squeaky clean? Showing locked files to people and trying to cause trouble?" 'Tanaya demanded angrily.

"You shut up and keep out of this. It's between Janey and me!" Adam snapped as he pushed past Janey to stand toe to toe with 'Tanaya.

'Tanaya shifted Nicky to her other hip and stepped back from Adam putting herself between him and Nicky.

Nicky grizzled and clutched at 'Tanaya's shoulder.

"Give Nicky here, you're upsetting him. Can't you see your son doesn't like her?" Adam demanded as he reached out and attempted to take Nicky from 'Tanaya who stepped back hurriedly.

Nicky screamed and started crying loudly as Adam pulled him from 'Tanaya's arms roughly.

'Tanaya let Nicky go rather than chance having him hurt as Adam snatched him from her.

"Mummummum! 'Naynay! Daddaddaddad," Nicky shrieked as he waved his arms and legs wildly.

"Nicky!" Janey was dimly aware of the word hurting her throat but she wasn't aware she had screamed it as she stepped forward reaching for her son.

* * * * *

Ren got to his feet, he had an uneasy feeling he couldn't pinpoint the cause of as he looked around.

The sound of a vehicle pulling to a stop near the house got James and Robby to their feet with a quick exchanged glance. They headed around the side of the house while Ren was headed for the back door to the kitchen.

James and Robby had made it to the front corner of the house when they heard Nicky screaming in front of the house. They broke into a run and rounded the corner in time to see Adam grab Janey by the upper arm and try to drag or steer her out the gate while holding Nicky, who was struggling and screaming wanting to go to his mother, in his other arm.

James could hear Janey's voice raised; it was shrill with fear as she stepped closer to Adam reaching for her son.

The front door of the house burst open and Ren rushed out, reaching full speed as he crossed the veranda in huge strides. He raced along the path dodging around 'Tanaya and slowing to a walk as he reached the gate.

"Give Janey her boy and let her go," Ren snarled the command as he clenched his hands at his sides.

Such was the power of authority and command in Ren's voice, Adam stopped and looked at him giving Janey a split second to grab for Nicky. Adam tightened his hold on Nicky in reflex as Janey tried to take the startled boy from him. Nicky shrieked in pain and Janey screamed in fear for her child.

Realising he was hurting the child, Adam let go with a worried glance at him.

Janey hugged Nicky close as she backed away hurriedly. She wanted to get out of Adam's reach and away from the waves of violence radiating off the two men facing each other.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Adam demanded angrily.

"Who the hell do you think you are putting your hands on Janey and Nicky," Ren snarled.

"I'm not the bastard who abducted her and raped her," Adam shot back.

Ren's temper snapped with the implied insult and he stepped forward barely stopping himself from hitting the other man. "You're not welcome here," Ren said, ice nearly dripping from his voice.

Adam let fly with a right hook that rocked Ren back on his heels, following up with several left jabs.

Janey clutched Nicky close and stumbled backwards as fists began to fly. A hand closed over her upper arm where Adam had grabbed her in a bruising grip as he tried to get her to get in his car. She looked over her shoulder fearfully as she tried to jerk free only to find it was 'Tanaya who had hold of her.

"Get away from them," 'Tanaya said as she pulled Janey well clear. She could feel the shudders running through Janey before she released her arm.

'Tanaya looked around frantically and was relieved to see Brad, Brent, Matty and Jim rushing around the corner of the house not far behind James and Robby who were racing across the front yard. A quick glance at Adam and Ren told her it wouldn't be an easy task for the others to separate them.

"Is Nicky okay?" 'Tanaya asked Janey who was checking him frantically while trying to watch the fight as well.

"I think he is, I think he is," Janey sobbed and flinched as Adam landed a solid punch to Ren's ribs.

"Come on you pair, back even further," Brad ordered as he stopped beside them. "It's going to be a madhouse when them pair are separated."

Janey allowed Brad to move her further away all the while watching the fight, flinching every time it seemed Adam landed a good punch.

"Come on you two! Break it up! Enough fighting!" Jim yelled while Robby and James were positioned where they could hopefully grab hold of Adam while Matty and Brent were ready to grab Ren.

"Stop it!" James yelled again.

Ren heard Janey's father yelling and backed up a step but Adam followed him relentlessly. He felt a satisfying jolt as his right fist connected with Adams ribs.

"Gabriel! Stop it!" Janey screamed amid her sobs.

Janey's voice reached him and Ren glanced towards her instinctively. He didn't see the punch that caught him from behind as his head was turned and bright lights exploded before his eyes as his knees buckled.

Janey saw Adam hit Ren in the back of the head and then Ren started to go down as if he had been poleaxed.

"No, no, no, no, no." Janey screamed as she pushed Nicky into 'Tanaya's arms. She felt Brad attempt to grab her around the waist but she pushed away from him and raced towards Ren as Adam drew back his foot and kicked him in the ribs as he hit the ground.

"Stop it! Damn you Adam stop it!" Janey screamed as she rushed to Ren where he was struggling to right himself so he could get back to his feet.

Adam looked at Janey dazed and took a step back and then Robby and James were there grabbing his arms and forcing him back up against his vehicle.

"Gabriel, Gabriel," Janey sobbed as she dropped to her knees beside Ren who was still struggling groggily to get to his knees. She placed her hands on his chest to try to stop him.

"Stay down mate, you've been King hit," Brad said with concern beside her shoulder as he pushed Ren down onto the ground.

"Janey, Blondie," Ren muttered dazed as he reached towards the fuzzy outline he could see.

"I'm here, I'm here. Gabriel, you scared me," Janey sobbed as she stroked his face lightly, unconcerned she was getting blood on her hands as the concern for his well-being overrode all else.

Ren grunted softly and stopped struggling as he managed to get hold of one of her hands. He held it loosely while she continued to run her hands over his jaw gently.

"That bastard's going to jail! I'll make sure he spends the rest of his time behind bars like the animal he is!" Adam yelled as he struggled against Robby and James.

"No! No you won't," Janey yelled as she jumped to her feet and rushed over to face Adam. "You hit him first! And I LOVE him! I mean really love him! I'm in love with him. I don't just love him as a friend like I did you!"

"Dad, call triple O. We need the police and an Ambulance," Robby said firmly from where he held Adam.

All the fight left Adam as Janey's words crashed down on him. Janey, the woman he loved, loved someone else. Pain hit him as Janey took another step closer.

"You leave my Lover alone!" She snarled at him so angry tears where streaming down her face.

Janey tensed as she felt someone slip his or her arms around her waist. She turned ready to fight - it wasn't Gabriel's arms. Her body and mind knew his touch.

"Come on Janey. Come back and keep Ren quiet," Matty said softly near her ear.

Janey gave Adam one last glare before letting Matty pull her away. She hurried back to Ren who was attempting to sit up despite both Brad and Brent stopping him.

"Gabriel!" Janey dropped to her knees beside him and caught his hand.

Ren gave a soft sigh and stopped fighting; he allowed the others to settle him on the ground.

"Nicky, how's Nicky?" Ren demanded suddenly.

"He's fine. A bit bruised and shaken up but he's right here and fine," Brad said.

"Janey," Ren whispered and felt her soft touch against his face. It hurt to try and focus his eyes and his head was aching fiercely.

"I'm here Gabriel," Janey murmured and brushed her lips against his gently.

It seemed to take forever as Janey waited for the Ambulance as she held onto Ren's hand; Ren who was so strong and solid was helpless on the ground. She bit back a sob as she lifted his hand to her face and rubbed her cheek against it before pressing a kiss to his fingertips.

"I'm sure he'll be fine," Brad said quietly beside her. "He's got a head like a rock."

"Can I sit up now?" Ren asked after a while.

"You'd be smarter to stay flat on your back. I think he nearly knocked you out," Brad said quietly.

"Only nearly?" Ren said with a snort and grimaced when it made the throbbing in his head worse.

Finally the ambulance arrived followed closely by two police cars. The ambulance officers came over and started to check Ren out.

"Look at Nicky first. That bastard was manhandling him," Ren said trying to push them away.

Janey remained kneeling beside Ren and watched as the ambulance officers checked Nicky who was clinging to 'Tanaya and sucking his thumb. When the officers announced him fine except for some slight bruising she sighed in relief and smiled at Ren who was watching her.

"Your turn now," Ren said firmly. "He was manhandling you too."

"I don't want them to touch me," Janey recoiled from them.

Ren gripped her hand more firmly and struggled into a sitting position. "I'll be right here with you," he promised.

Janey nodded and held still while the ambulance officers checked her arm for any injuries other than bruising. With a verdict of bad bruising and the application of a cold pack Janey moved back slightly so they could attend to Ren.

After a quick check they announced he needed to go to hospital for further checks as he was suffering from the after affects of the hard blow.

"I'm going with him," Janey announced worriedly as he was placed on a stretcher.

"Janey, you stay here with Nicky, he needs you. I'll go to the hospital with Ren and ring to let you know how he is. If you try to go with him he'll only kick up a stink because you're not with Nicky," Brad told her firmly.

Janey glanced at Ren who gave a brief nod then grimaced as the movement hurt his head.

"Okay, I'll stay here with Nicky but you call me as soon as you know anything," Janey warned sternly. She glanced past Brad and was surprised to see both of her brothers there.

"You ready to head off now Brad? One of us will drop you off at the hospital on our way to the police station. You guys can drop by there later," Robby said quietly.

"Going to throw my arse in jail away from your sister huh?" Ren asked with a tight smile.

"And have Janey stomp on us?" James shot back, "Get real."

"We're going down to get what happened on record, just to be safe," Robby said and glanced at where Adam was in the back seat of one of the police cars.

Janey watched as Ren was wheeled to the back of the ambulance and loaded in. Realising she had never told him how she felt she raced towards the vehicle before they could shut it.

"I just gotta talk to him for a second," Janey declared as she scrambled into the rear of the ambulance before they could stop her.

"Hey Blondie," Ren said tiredly, "you're supposed to be staying here remember."

"Yes I remember, " Janey said, her eyes searching his face worriedly. "I just wanted to tell you I love you."

"I know Darling, I know. You've just been too scared to tell me," Ren whispered softly as he smiled at her. "I love you too."

Janey pressed a gentle kiss to his lips then backed out of the ambulance reluctantly. She stood watching as the back was closed and then the officers climbed in the front and drove away slowly and carefully.

"He'll be okay," Brent said as he and Matty came to stand beside her.

"It's getting cold out here. Nicky should be inside," Matty said quietly.

Mygypsy
Mygypsy
1,329 Followers